Sunsette's Guide to the Energy Blast Sentinel

Sunsette

h9XueXB.png

Hi, I'm Sunsette. I'm not an especially experienced player, but I am obsessively thorough and like documenting things. There's not a lot on Sentinels or Energy Blast, so I thought I'd try to coalesce what we have and put it all together. While this guide is primarily written from the perspective of the Energy Blast Sentinel, it is my goal to collect a lot of general information useful on Sentinels as a whole, so as to help people transition to this archetype. Thus, I will try to explain things as if someone is new to the game or archetype as a whole, and not merely the powerset.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

I. Why Energy Blast?

II. What Secondary?

--IIa. Survival

--IIb. Utility

III. Guide to Enhancements

--IIIa. Enhancement Types

--IIIb. Hit the Slots

--IIIc. Rating Format

IV. Energy Blast Powers

--IVa. Seize the Opportunity

--IVb. Attack Chains and Aim

--IVc. Area of Effect Attacks

--IVd. School of Hard Knocks

V. Secondary Powers

VI. Utility Power Pools

--VIa. Haste Makes Waste

--VIb. Travel Powers

--VIc. Defense Powers

--VId. Miscellaneous Powers

VII. Epic Power Pools

--VIIa. Ancillary Power Pools

--VIIb. Patron Power Pools

VIII. Incarnate Slots

--VIIIa. Alpha

--VIIIb. Judgment

--VIIIc. Interface

--VIIId. Destiny

--VIIIe. Lore

--VIIIf. Hybrid

IX. Example Builds

X. A Note on Endurance

XI. Force Feedback

XII. Changelog

I. Why Energy Blast?

I chose Energy Blast because it's pretty. That's it. Everything else was secondary. I've wanted something like an Energy Blast sentinel since I discovered Ancillary Power Pools on my scrapper back in live and I found out how frickin' pretty Energy Torrent was in Body Mastery.  I wish I could say that Energy Blast has a unique mechanical niche that it offers, but all of the tricks I've learned for Energy Blast can straight-up be done on another, better powerset available to Sentinels. Water, Fire, and Dual Pistols all have elements of this set and out-do it, mechanically.

However, it is not an unusable set. While I would appreciate a balance pass that gives Energy Blast a little something more than "LOL RANDOM KNOCKBACK" to define it, it's perfectly usable. If you're willing to bleed for the effort. Its damage type is nothing to write home about but it's not awful either, slightly outpacing Water Blast although it is much less impressive in controls. It has more control than fire, and unlike Dual Pistols, it can Aim+Build Up.

II. What Secondary?

There's two mechanical aspects you need to evaluate when deciding your secondary: how well will it help you survive attacks, and how well it'll help you defeat enemies. If you've already chosen a secondary, skip to the next section,

IIa. Survival

Very few sets are purely defense (avoiding attacks) or resistance (toughing them out). Due to hidden math that I won't go over here, both defense and resistance get increasingly better the higher each is, up to the defense softcap (45%, plus enemies' base 50% chance to miss) and the resistance hard cap (75% for Sentinels). In simple terms this means that a Sentinel can potentially be hit by only 5% of attacks if defense softcapped, and take only 25% damage if resistance hardcapped. The reality is more complicated.

Defenses are mutually exclusive; an attack is only checked against one of your defenses (Melee, Ranged, AoE, Smashing, Lethal, Energy, Negative Energy, Fire, Cold, Psionic) regardless of how many types the attack has, and it is checked against your highest relevant defense. Since the overwhelming majority of enemy damage involves Smashing, Lethal, or Energy, and backline Sentinels can expect to only be hit with Ranged or AoE attacks, it is relatively easy to build up a good defense even if your powerset lacks any.

Resistance, however, is not mutually exclusive; each damage type (Smashing, Lethal, Energy, Negative Energy, Fire, Cold, Psionic, and Toxic) that an attack has is divided and resisted separately. This means that if an attack is 95% Fire and 5% Smashing, your Smashing Defense is very relevant -- but your Smashing Resistance is basically unimportant. If you have no fire resist, you're basically going to eat that attack unprotected, should it hit you.

This picture provides a rough estimate of the baseline performance of all Sentinel secondary powersets at 50:

Pure defense sets will perform well on survivability with little investment in extra powers and enhancements, because the defense softcap reduces average damage much more than the resistance hard cap. Defense sentinels get the most freedom in how they build. However, defense can suffer from a string of bad luck, as it is never possible to avoid more than 5% of all attacks in any circumstance; the hits that get through may easily defeat you in one or two strikes. Pure defense sets are very good for backline Sentinels who aren't expecting to be targeted often, but plateau in terms of performance relatively quickly at maximum level with Enhancement Sets; it's easy to get more defense from an item set bonus, but it's hard to get a meaningful amount of resistance to back it up.

Defense Sets are Ninjitsu and Super Reflexes.

Pure resistance sets have the benefit of significantly removing randomness from the equation, but as noted above, have less pure reduction of overall damage. In addition, status effects are not checked by damage resistance but by various forms of "mez resistance" that are hard to improve. Therefore, it is common for people using Resistance sets to aim for key defenses in the Smashing, Lethal, and Energy fields or Melee/Ranged/AoE fields to reach 32.5% or better. Resistance sets are more likely to carry significant self-healing, which is another point in their favor. This would seem to make resistance sets the best for survival -- and tankers and brutes, with their much higher resist hardcap, would agree. However, there is a status effect known as Defense DeBuff, and this effect is fairly common at high levels. Sets that are purely or primarily defense get some level of defense debuff protection, reducing the loss of defense. Resistance sets generally do not, and can find themselves stripped of virtually all defenses against such enemies.

Resistance Sets are Electric Armor, Fiery Aura, and Radiation Armor. There's also Regeneration, which is really kind of its own thing but I don't have space to go over in depth.

This leaves the third type of set, sets which inherently offer a mixture of the two. For the Sentinel, most are defense-leaning, and by and large I think these end up the strongest survival sets for a Sentinel at maximum level, but they often take the longest to become useful -- you won't have significant amounts of either defense or resistance until late. To make the most of their survival, you are committing to heavy investment in equipment and defensive powers. However, they often have defense debuff protection.

Hybrid sets are Bio Armor, Dark Armor, Energy Aura, Ice Armor, Invulnerability, and Willpower.

IIb. Utility

Regardless of the secondary powerset you take, your defenses will generally be acceptable to get the job done. Your offense is more questionable. There's a few ways that a secondary powerset can improve your offense:

1. A direct damage improvement. Exclusive to Bio Armor, Fiery Aura, and Radiation Armor.

2. Improved recharge times. Exclusive to Energy Aura, Electric Armor, Radiation Armor, and Super Reflexes.

3. Foe debuffs and controls. Featured in Dark Armor, Electric Armor, Energy Aura, Ice Armor, Ninjitsu, and Radiation Armor

4. Improved endurance management. Most secondary powersets have this as an option. It's noteworthy that Dark Armor tends to have a lot of endurance problems, on the other hand.

There are other additional perks each powerset has, but these are the most useful to discuss.

Generally an Energy Blast Sentinel will prioritize 1 and 2, as Energy itself has no real synergy with 3; knocks forbid any sort of action for a brief period, while debuffs degrade the utility of actions when taken. However, teammates definitely will benefit from debuffs, so that's still an option.

III. Guide to Enhancements

IIIa. Enhancement Types

There are five main kinds of enhancements, items used to improve the effect of your superpowers:

- Training Origin: These enhancements drop randomly from level 1 to 21 and can be bought in stores. These are very, very weak.

- Dual Origin: These enhancements require someone to have two of the five origins in the game to actually equip them. They are twice as strong as Training Origin, but still pretty weak. The lowest level DOs are available is 13.

- Single Origin: These enhancements require someone to have one of the five origins in the game to equip them. They are twice as strong as Dual Origin, and are the original standard the game was based around. The lowest level SOs are available is generally 22, although there are some exceptions to this.

- Special Origin: These are SO strength enhancements that affect two or more categories simultaneously. These drop from the Hamidon Raid, the Crystal Titan and Hydra Trials, and the Miss Liberty and Lord Recluse Taskforces. Don't plan your build around these before 50 and if you get any before 50, sell them on the Consignment House; Homecoming will convert Special Origin Enhancements of any level to all of the levels at which they can be found, so a good one is worth a lot of influence.

These four kinds of Enhancements can be boosted up to two times by combining them with another enhancement of the same level.

- Invention Origin: These enhancements, unlike the other four types, never 'wear out' -- you can never reach a level at which your IOs stop giving you a benefit. The drawback is that they're initially expensive to craft, and they do not reach their full strength until level 50. However, by level 25 IOs are almost as good as SOs, and at level 35, they are better. IOs sometimes boost more than one category at a time, although not as strongly as Special Origin usually. You can identify a standard IO by its hexagonal shape. You may go to any university and craft IOs, beginning at level 10. You will have to purchase a recipe from the workbench if you did not already find one to craft.

IOs can come in 'sets' that grant special bonuses for slotting more than one IO from that set into a single power. If an IO is part of a set, you can never slot two of the exact same IO into the same power.

There is a subtype of IO sets called 'attuned' and these enhancements automatically scale with your level to a maximum benefit of the IO set's possible highest level; sets cap out at any level from 20 to 50. These IOs have a round shape with a silver filigree border. If you have exceeded an attuned set's max level, the tooltip will say that it has continued to scale beyond that maximum level, but that is a lie.

Finally, IOs that are not attuned can be 'boosted' up to five times using a fairly expensive enhancement booster.

IO sets generally are very expensive for a new player, so I won't go into how to obtain them here.

IIIb. Hit the Slots

You cannot use the same strategy for putting enhancements in your powers from levels 1 to 50, unfortunately. What's optimal at 50 is not feasible at 10, and what's optimal at 10 is pretty trash at 50.

Until you're near to level 50, the first thing you need to focus on is the efficacy of your attacks -- how well they do their job -- and the second target is your efficiency -- how much endurance or time they cost to do their job.

-- Accuracy: As a general rule, 1 to 2 accuracy enhancements (I prefer one, for Energy Blast) of a recent level are all you need. While we previously discussed how bad TOs and DOs are, you get a bonus to your accuracy below combat level 20 that compensates. Note that you will lose this bonus whenever you sidekick above level 20, so be careful participating in higher-level content.

-- Damage: Three of these, as fast as you can after accuracy. If it's defeated, it can't hurt you.

That will leave you with one or two slots for endurance reduction and recharge reduction, which may feel (is) cramped. You will likely want to invest in a few -- not a lot, but a few, maybe two or three per attack power -- attuned IOs that combine two of the things you're looking for in order to save yourself a slot. As a general rule, the more attacks you take, the less you need recharge reduction, but that comes with its own problems.

Slotting at 50 is a whole new ballgame, and I'll get into that on a per-power basis below.

IIIc. Rating Format

My Power Ratings are broken up like so:

NAME: The Name of the Power (Tier; Level)

TYPE: Attack, Heal, Buff, etc.

DESCRIPTION: The official description of the attack.

NOTES: My own general thoughts on this power.

SEE ALSO: Other powers you may consider taking instead or alongside this one.

HASTEN: How much you want Hasten for this power on a scale of 1 to 5, 1 being lowest, and 5 being highest.

SLOTTING: Recommendations on slotting this power as...

• Minimal: Ignoring set bonuses or going only for very small set bonuses.
  • Offensive: Maximizing your damage (or mez if it's a control effect).
  • Defensive: Going for defense set bonuses.
  • Recharge: Maximizing your global recharge with this power.
  • Unique: Targeting one of the unusual aspects of this power, these will generally be individual Unique IO recommendations or interesting choices from the Special Origin set.
Edited by Sunsette
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Everlasting: American iDoll, Dumbelle, Chernobyl Rose, Caged Cuckoo, Joseon One

irregulars book logo noby white.png

Sundered Marches: The Website | The Official Soundtrack!

IV. Energy Blast Powers

IVa. Seize the Opportunity

One of the central mechanics for Sentinel is the archetype's inherent power, Opportunity. Opportunity has two effects:

1. All damaging primary, secondary, and pool powers the Sentinel uses inflicts a small amount -def and -resistance to targets for 15 seconds.

2. Sentinels have a third combat bar (besides Health and Endurance) that grows as the Sentinel makes attacks, and decays when the Sentinel has neither attacked nor been targeted for an attack for several seconds. This decay is very slow and can take about 2 minutes to empty from a full bar. The bar does nothing until it is very close to full. When it is very close to full, a red circle will envelop the T1 power (Energy Bolt) and a green circle will envelop the T2 power (Energy Blast). Using and hitting with either of these powers will completely fill the bar and trigger either Offensive Opportunity (T1) or Defensive Opportunity (T2).

Both triggered versions put a targeting reticle around the struck foe for 15 seconds. This targeting reticle reduces the foe's damage resistance by -20%. Unlike many other sources of resistance reduction, this reduction cannot be resisted. This is a moderately powerful debuff, although it bears noting that debuff focused support characters can put out a lot more resistance reduction. For a high level sentinel, this is the most powerful part of Opportunity. At high levels, if one opportunity misses, it is usually not worth it to wait for it to recharge -- go for the other opportunity type instead as soon as possible, unless you really need the endurance savings from Defensive. However, low level sentinels will care more about which type they activate.

1. Offensive Opportunity (Red Circle). In addition to the above effects, while Offensive Opportunity is active, the Sentinel deals approximately 20% extra base damage to the primary target of their attacks, with all damaging primary, secondary, and pool powers.  If the attack has no target (as with point-blank or 'melee' AoEs), it does not get this benefit. This base damage does not scale with any source of damage, only with resistance. Thus, this is a lot of extra damage at the lowest levels when your enhancements are weak. At high levels, when you have various incarnate proc effects and fully enhanced powers, this is about 10% extra damage during OO before including procs, and won't affect your best AoE attack at all as an Energy Blast sentinel. It comes out to about 3 to 5% of your total single-target damage contribution. 

2. Defensive Opportunity (Green Circle). In addition to the reticle effect, while Defensive Opportunity is active, the Sentinel gets a fairly significant amount of endurance back on a successful hit, and a minor amount (about 2-3% of base) of health back on a successful hit. Defensive Opportunity is all but worthless at the lowest levels, but begins to shine in mid-levels. Whether it continues to be of use at the highest level depends greatly on how much resistance you have and how much endurance you burn.

After 15 seconds, Opportunity will end, the bar will drain, and you'll have to start all over. You can expect roughly 50 to 60% uptime for Opportunity during a fight once you have a full attack chain.

IVb. Attack Chains and Aim

As a general rule, your goal at mid-levels is to be able to continuously work four single-target attacks into an attack chain combo, and you should push for a three attack chain core at high levels of optimization, coupled with one to three high damage/high cooldown attacks mixed into that core attack chain.

NAME: Power Bolt (T1; L1)

TYPE: Ranged, Minor Damage (Energy/Smash), Foe Knockback

DESCRIPTION: A quick attack that rapidly hurls small bolts of energy at foes, sometimes knocking them down. Fast, but little damage.

NOTES: As the Energy Blast T1, this is the source of your Offensive Opportunity. Offensive Opportunity is very valuable at low levels; at high levels, it's one of your fastest animating attacks, which means it easily fits into any attack chain at minimal DPS loss. On the other hand, as a fast animating attack, it also buys you very little time for your other attacks to recharge. I eventually dropped this attack in my current build as an incarnate, as the DPS increase from Offensive Opportunity is not large and I bleed endurance.

SEE ALSO: Power Blast.

HASTEN: 1. This attack is very fast recharging on its own, and virtually any amount of global hasten + full recharge reduction means it will almost always be up. It will still benefit a lot from hasten at low levels, but for a high level character, Hasten is virtually no benefit unless you are under the effect of an enemy's recharge debuff.

SLOTTING:

• Minimal: If you intend to mostly ignore this power except for Opportunity, slot a single Accuracy IO in here and boost it +5.
  • Offensive: Apocalypse, Gladiator's Javelin
  • Defensive: Opportunity Strikes (Ranged, Energy, Negative & Global Range Increase); Sentinel's Ward (HP, Smashing, Lethal, Melee & Global Range Increase); Apocalypse (Psionic); Devastation (Psionic); Gladiator's Javelin (HP, KB); Thunderstrike (Ranged, Energy, Negative); Winter's Bite (Ranged, AoE, Energy, Negative, Fire, Cold); Overwhelming Force (HP, Ranged, Energy, Negative, Knockback).
  • Recharge: Opportunity Strikes (7.5% or 10%); Sentinel's Ward (8.75% or 10%); Apocalypse (10%); Decimation (6.25%).
  • Unique: Put procs here that you like to occur but don't need to plan around here. At a 4s base recharge and 1.2s activation time, even a 6 proc per minute IO only has a 50% chance of triggering on each attack here. This makes it a good place to put Opportunity Strikes or Sentinel's Ward, which are more impressive for the set bonuses than for the procs.

NAME: Power Blast (T2; L1)

TYPE: Ranged, Moderate Damage (Energy/Smash), Foe Knockback

DESCRIPTION: A much more powerful, yet slower version of Power Bolt. Power Blast sends a focused beam of energy at a foe that can knock them back.

NOTES: The description lies, performance between Power Blast and Power Bolt are almost identical; Power Blast is a little better at low levels but with a much longer cooldown for no good reason. I prefer keeping this so that it doesn't hurt to be exemplared down to a low level too much, and so I have flexibility in the type of opportunity I use, but many Sentinels skip their T2 for good reason.  As a longer animating attack, it can buy you more time for later attacks to recharge... or force your attack chain to not fit. Use the DPS estimator in Mids/Pine's to find out which is better for you.

SEE ALSO: Power Bolt.

HASTEN: 2. While this is a fast recharge attack by later standards, early on, it takes forever.

SLOTTING:

• Minimal: If you intend to mostly ignore this power except for Opportunity, slot a single Accuracy IO in here and boost it +5.
  • Defensive: Opportunity Strikes (Ranged, Energy, Negative & Global Range Increase); Sentinel's Ward (HP, Smashing, Lethal, Melee & Global Range Increase); Apocalypse (Psionic); Devastation (Psionic); Gladiator's Javelin (HP, KB); Thunderstrike (Ranged, Energy, Negative); Winter's Bite (Ranged, AoE, Energy, Negative, Fire, Cold); Overwhelming Force (HP, Ranged, Energy, Negative, Knockback).
  • Recharge: Opportunity Strikes (7.5% or 10%); Sentinel's Ward (8.75% or 10%); Apocalypse (10%); Decimation (6.25%).
  • Unique: This has double the opportunity to trigger a proc compared to Power Bolt, but odds are you'll be using this attack a lot less than Power Bolt later on.

NAME: Power Burst (T4; L6)

TYPE: Ranged, High Damage (Energy/Smash), Foe Knockback

DESCRIPTION: A devastating attack, Power Burst unleashes a massive amount of energy dealing very high damage at short distances. The impact from this burst often knocks back most foes.

NOTES: The description lies, again. While this attack is only slightly higher DPA than Power Bolt and Power Blast, its true strength is in the longer activation time, which improves its chances of activating procs and gives a longer chance for long animating attacks to recharge. You'll need to experiment to see if this attack can improve your attack chain.

SEE ALSO: Focused Power Bolt

HASTEN: 4. Due to the longer recharge, you want to use this as often as possible as you get it. 

SLOTTING:

• Minimal: These are slightly higher damage than the T1 and T2, and no reason to slot them minimally if you bothered to take them.
  • Defensive: Don't get this attack to be a defense slot mule.
  • Unique: None, Power Burst isn't a good candidate for any procs.

NAME: Power Push (T6; L12)

TYPE: Ranged, Minor Damage (Energy/Smash), Foe High Knockback

DESCRIPTION: This ranged attack deals little damage, but sends the target flying for a great distance.

NOTES: The description lies... you may see a running theme. This is the second highest damaging attack in the set and the second fastest animating, making it the highest DPS by 20%. TAKE IT. Unfortunately it is not lying about it sending the target flying for a great distance, so read the section on Knockback (IVd. School of Hard Knocks) to find out how to deal with that.

SEE ALSO: None.

HASTEN: 2. While this is a fast recharge attack by later standards, early on, it takes forever.

SLOTTING:

• Minimal: There is absolutely no reason to slot this minimally and I will scream if you do.
  • Unique: This is a bad candidate for PPM IOs, but it's the only Single Target move I would ever consider Sudden Acceleration: Knockback to Knockdown or Overwhelming Force: Knockback to Knockdown for. Seriously, the knockback on this is ridiculous.

NAME: Focused Power Bolt (T8; L26)

TYPE: Ranged, Superior Damage (Energy/Smash), Foe Knockback

DESCRIPTION: A focused and very accurate blast that deals extreme damage.

NOTES: The description... does not lie! Focused Power Bolt on paper is initially a bad attack for its long recharge time, and I've left it out of my build before. However, it has hidden depths if you can reach extremely high values of global recharge (150%+). There are two approaches: builds that pursue high recharge Alpha Slot abilities should put Apocalypse into Focused Power Bolt, and can make this part of a three attack chain. Alternatively, By frankenslotting it with as many procs as you can muster without sacrificing damage or accuracy, you can end up with an extremely high damage attack. It's a great choice for 1 to 3.5 PPM procs, although 4+ PPM is a little wasted on it when frankenslotting.

SEE ALSO: Power Burst

HASTEN: 5. If you get this attack, you probably need Hasten.

SLOTTING:

• Minimal: These are slightly higher damage than the T1 and T2, and no reason to slot them minimally if you bothered to take them.
  • Defensive: Don't get these attacks to be defense slot mules.
  • Unique: Decimation (Chance for Build-Up); Gladiator's Javelin (Chance of Damage); Force Feedback (Chance for Recharge); Explosive Strike (Chance for Smashing Damage)

NAME: Aim (T5; L8)

TYPE: Self +To Hit, +DMG, +Range

DESCRIPTION: Greatly increases the chance to hit of your attacks for a few seconds. Slightly increases damage and range.

NOTES: The damage buff is pretty big at low levels, but 'slight' becomes accurate by high levels. Fortunately, there's a way to remedy that with IOs. Take this ability. Interesting to note is that unlike Blaster Aim, this Aim boosts your range; that can be very useful for your AoEs, bringing them up 13 feet.

SEE ALSO: Energy Torrent.

HASTEN: 5. With Gaussian's, Aim is basically doubling your damage for 10 seconds and it has a fairly quick animation. You want as much recharge as possible for this power.

SLOTTING:

• Minimal: One or two L50 Recharge Redux +5. At high recharge, with a Recharge Alpha Slot, you can get away with one or one and a half.
  • Offensive: Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control: Chance for Build-Up. You should get this as soon as possible.
  • Defensive: Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control (All positional, all types except Psionic)
  • Recharge: Adjusted Targeting (5%)
  • Unique: Rectified Reticle: Increased Perception can help significantly when dealing with high level Arachnos, but is just about useless in the rest of PvE content. Not sure I'd bother unless I had slots to spare.

IVc. Area of Effect Attacks

NAME: Energy Torrent (T3; L2)

TYPE: Ranged (Cone), Moderate DMG(Energy/Smash), Foe Knockback

DESCRIPTION: Energy Torrent unleashes a cone of powerful energy that can smash foes and possibly send them flying.

NOTES: This is Energy Blast's worst AoE. 40 feet is pretty small for a cone and makes it easy to miss -- with aggressive slotting you can get this up to 56 to 60 feet, and the results are easy to hit with, but then you're faced with the tiny target cap of 6 targets. As a general rule, I do not recommend taking both Energy Torrent and Nova on the same build, as optimal positioning for each is totally opposite. Energy Torrent best suits Sentinels who want to stay in the rear.

SEE ALSO: Aim, Explosive Blast, Nova, Epic Pools

HASTEN: 5. If you're taking Energy Torrent, you want to be using it as much as possible, as Explosive Blast and your epic pool targeted AoE options are much lower damage.

SLOTTING:

• Minimal: If I only wanted to use this after Aim, I would three slot Damage/Range Special Origin Enhancements.
  • Offensive: Positron's Blast and Javelin Volley.
  • Defensive: Opportunity Strikes (Ranged, Energy, Negative & Global Range Increase); Sentinel's Ward (HP, Smashing, Lethal, Melee & Global Range Increase); Overwhelming Force (HP, Ranged, Energy, Negative, Knockback); Frozen Blast (AoE, Fire, Cold).
  • Recharge: Opportunity Strikes (7.5% or 10%); Sentinel's Ward (8.75% or 10%); Ragnarok (10%); Positron's Blast (6.25%).
  • Unique: Force Feedback has a lousy chance to activate if there's any enhancement recharge in this power, even if you hit five targets. Positron's Blast has a much better chance. Annihilation: Chance for Resistance is your best offensive choice, by far. Finally, special mention goes to Superior Sentinel's Ward, which has a high chance per target to activate its absorb shield and give an additional 23.5% recharge to this power.

NAME: Explosive Blast (T7; L18)

TYPE: Ranged (Targeted AoE), Moderate DMG(Energy/Smash), Foe Knockback

DESCRIPTION: You hurl a blast of charged energy that violently explodes on impact, damaging all foes near the target. Explosive Blast may knock targets backwards.

NOTES: The only reason to take explosive blast is that you could use something as an Archetype IO Set or Targeted AoE Set mule and it's something else to hit enemies with in a group. The damage is about half of that of a single target attack and two-thirds that of Energy Torrent. Fortunately, Explosive Blast synergizes well with any possible AoE options the Sentinel can take, because its targeting range is incredibly flexible.

SEE ALSO: Energy Torrent, Nova, Epic Pools

HASTEN: 4. It benefits for all the reasons that Energy Torrent and Nova do, but it doesn't bring nearly as much damage as them.

SLOTTING:

• Minimal: This could be used as soft control rather than damage, by only slotting a Knockdown-to-Knockback IO.
  • Defensive: Opportunity Strikes (Ranged, Energy, Negative & Global Range Increase); Sentinel's Ward (HP, Smashing, Lethal, Melee & Global Range Increase); Overwhelming Force (HP, Ranged, Energy, Negative, Knockback); Frozen Blast (AoE, Fire, Cold).
  • Recharge: Opportunity Strikes (7.5% or 10%); Sentinel's Ward (8.75% or 10%); Ragnarok (10%); Positron's Blast (6.25%).
  • Unique: See Energy Torrent; Explosive Blast has about a 25% higher chance of activating any PPM than Energy Torrent, though.

NAME: Nova (T9; L32)

TYPE: PBAoE, Extreme DMG(Energy/Smash), Foe Knockback

DESCRIPTION: You can explode in a tremendous blast of energy, sending nearby foes flying. The Nova deals extreme Energy and Smashing damage to all nearby foes.

NOTES: This is the best attack in your entire set, and I use it even single target on cooldown basically. It also synergizes its timer with Aim. However, it exposes the sentinel to danger to use and if you don't have a plan for mitigating its knockback, basically sends everything to hell as far as organization goes.

SEE ALSO: Energy Torrent, Explosive Blast, Epic Pools

HASTEN: 5. Long cooldown, best attack, long animation. Not much to say here.

SLOTTING:

• Minimal: If you minimally slot this I will come to your house and cry.
  • Offensive: Scirocco's Dervish, Obliteration, and Armageddon.
  • Defensive: Opportunity Strikes (Ranged, Energy, Negative & Global Range Increase); Sentinel's Ward (HP, Smashing, Lethal, Melee & Global Range Increase); Overwhelming Force (HP, Ranged, Energy, Negative, Knockback); Scirocco's Dervish (Fire, Cold, AoE, Psionic); Obliteration (Melee, Smashing, Lethal); Frozen Blast (AoE, Fire, Cold).
  • Recharge: Opportunity Strikes (7.5% or 10%); Sentinel's Ward (8.75% or 10%); Armageddon (10%); Obliteration (5%).
  • Unique: I cannot stress enough: Put Fury of the Gladiator (Chance for Res Debuff) in here. It's the same amount of -Res put out by your Opportunity inherent, for 10 seconds. -Res is extremely important to you due to the commonality of Energy and Smashing Resistance. Force Feedback is an okay second choice, with a roughly 75% chance to activate per target struck; see Section XI. Force Feedback, for more information. If you are not getting some form of AoE Immobilize with KB Resistance, however, Sudden Acceleration: Knockdown to Knockback or Overwhelming Force: Knockdown to Knockback is basically a requirement. (And the former is more reliable).
Edited by Sunsette

IVd. School of Hard Knocks

If you have any prior experience with this game or even many other MMOs, you probably know how much groups can hate Energy Blast's knockback effects. For sure, if a class was introduced to World of Warcraft where literally every attack had a 20% to 100% chance of inflicting knockback at distances of 1 to 10 yards, players would be calling for dev blood there. But this isn't other MMOs, and there are ways to control Energy Blast, and make it productive for you and your group.

So let's identify what people don't like about knockback:

- Scatters enemies, reducing the effectiveness of AoEs, including threat control.

- Makes ST melee DPS chase to keep up damage.

What do people like about Knockback:

- Soft control that few enemies are completely immune to.

- It's fun to watch the dumb Nazis careen and ragdoll.

Next, let's look at the abilities in Sentinel Energy Blast:

- Power Bolt, 20% chance of Mag 1.16 KB, ST

- Power Blast, 30% chance of Mag 1.66 KB, ST

- Power Burst, 60% chance of Mag 3.32 KB, ST

- Power Push, 100% chance of Mag 13.29 KB, ST

- Focused Power Bolt, 50% chance of Mag 1.16 KB, ST

- Energy Torrent, 60% chance of Mag 4.99 KB, Targeted AoE

- Explosive Blast, 50% chance of Mag 3.32 KB, Targeted AoE

- Nova, 100% chance of Mag 16.62 KB, Point-Blank AoE

Anything with a Mag around 1 is likely to get turned to mere knockdown on a difficult target, and it's not a big knockback even on a soft one. That means with the exception of Power Burst and Power Push, the single target attacks are unlikely to disrupt a formation to begin with. If you prioritize hitting very tough targets or mopping up targets that the scrappers and brutes have no interest in running to in the first place, your single target attacks are unlikely to be a problem. While I've seen Power Push take Archvillain-rank enemies off their feet before, my groups generally agree that's not a big disruption and it can even be useful in disrupting the AV's damage output.

But the AoEs are a nightmare if you don't do something to mitigate them. The targeted AoEs are unreliable in KB so half the group will be stationary and half will go forward; the PBAoE is a circle so if you're in the midst of the attacks you will scatter in 360 degrees.  How can you mitigate them?

One way is Knockback-to-Knockdown Enhancements. There are two of these, one in the Overwhelming Force set and one in the Sudden Acceleration set. Broadly speaking, Overwhelming Force is a better set -- but it's a unique set (meaning none of its enhancements can be used more than once in your build) and its version of Knockback-to-Knockdown appears to have a mild bug in it that makes it sometimes fail to work. Also, both sets are not really good at endgame for the Sentinel, so I do not recommend this solution for the max-level sentinel, although it's fantastic for the mid-level sentinel.

The second way is positioning: if you fly overhead and deliver KB downwards from a roughly 70 to 90 degree angle with respect to the ground, the KB is transformed into a very strong knockdown, which has all the usual benefits and none of the drawbacks. This doesn't work very well for Nova, since it only has a 20 foot range -- not enough to get that 70 to 90 degree angle on more than one or two foes -- but it's great for Explosive Blast and Energy Torrent.

The third way is to rely on AoE immobilizes. Almost every AoE immobilize in the game gives either KB to KD transformation (rare) or straight up immunity to 95% of Knockbacks (very common). And what's more, you can get an AoE immobilize with KB immunity in Dark, Fire, Ice, Leviathan, and Mu Masteries as a Sentinel. (Electricity Mastery, Mace Mastery, and Soul Mastery's AOE immobilizes don't provide KB protection or transformation; Ninja Tool and Psionic lack an AoE immobilize). Once you get to a high level that you can afford to get one of these abilities heavily slotted, I strongly recommend taking them as Energy to abuse Nova heavily. If you're not at that level yet, though, just be cautious and don't use Nova much in groups if there's not a controller or dominator providing AoE immobilizations.

A fourth way is timing: you cannot knock someone back who is still being thrown by knockback or is in the middle of recovering from it. In a recent task force, I was exemplared below the level of my immobilize, but the tank had a PBAoE KD -- so I tried to mostly use my knockbacks after his knockdowns.

And lastly, a minor note: knockback can be helpful for the right groups. Even though I have my AoE immobilize now, one of the things I have learned is when not to put it up. Frequently when dealing with Arachnos, Nemesis, Rularuu, Carnival, or Knives/Talons of Vengeance -- all very deadly groups who have hard to kill enemies with disruptive controls or buffs -- I will use KB to juggle their problem members, who are frequently bosses that need two uses of a Sentinel immobilize to control anyway. So one immob, Aim+Nova, then start power pushing those jerks.

V. Secondary Powers

While a detailed examination of every secondary's powers is beyond the scope of this document, I can give some basic tips on choosing and slotting your secondaries.

There are very few powers that can be reasonably skipped in your secondaries.

The ones that are most commonly skipped are the 'crashing' T9s, taken at level 38. These T9s give you a few minutes of being nearly unstoppable, followed by a total 'crash' of all of your endurance where all of your toggle powers end and you are basically helpless. As most secondaries provide consistent high durability, this is anathema to how Sentinels play for the most part.

The following secondaries have T9s with no or a small crash: Bio Armor, Dark Armor, Fiery Aura, Ice Armor, Invulnerability, Radiation Armor, Regeneration.

The following secondaries have T9s with a total crash: Electric Armor, Energy Aura, Ninjitsu, Super Reflexes, Willpower

Also commonly skipped are 'self-resurrection' powers, as there are many other ways to return to battle without a trip to the hospital.

The following secondaries have self-resurrection powers: Dark Armor, Fiery Aura, Regeneration, and Willpower. (Regeneration, however, is notable in that its self-resurrection provides another benefit as well.)

Finally, some types of opponent controls may be skipped in secondaries if they don't sufficiently synergize with the primary powerset. For example, I skip Power Sink in Energy Aura because Energy Blast has no other way of sapping endurance from foes, and I have other ways of managing my own endurance.

When slotting defense powers, Luck of the Gambler is a popular non-unique IO that grants increased global recharge. You can have up to five in a build, which translates to 37.5% global recharge -- half the value of Hasten. Shield Wall and Reactive Defenses also have unique IOs that increase resistance.

When slotting resistance powers, Impervium Armor has a non-unique IO that grants psionic resistance, and as a set can grant a minor amount of psionic defense. Steadfast Protection and Gladiator's Armor both offer unique IOs that grant an additional plus 3% to all defenses.

While these are very powerful bonuses, most endurance costs usually don't come from defensive powers (even toggles) and most defense powers are toggles or auto, which don't need recharge. As a result, it's rare for a Sentinel to take six slots into a defensive power. Two to four is more common.

When it comes to healing powers, I usually avoid sets as they don't offer a lot of bonuses I care about until very high investment.

VI. Utility Power Pools

At level 4, you can begin to take powers that are not part of your primary or secondary powersets. Flight, Medicine, Leadership... These are usually just referred to as "Pool Powers", I am calling them Utility Power Pools here to clarify and separate them from the Epic Power Pools. You can invest in a maximum of four different Utility Power Pools in a single build, but may take as many powers as you want from those four different pools.

I will not be evaluating the Utility Power Pools with individual power ratings, but rather as a whole, though I will call out specific powers that are notable.

VIa. Haste Makes Waste

For example, Hasten. While this is part of a travel power pool, Hasten is so absurdly powerful and not gated behind any other powers that it deserves separate mention and discussion.

Recharge is the most broken stat in this game, and Hasten is the single most optimal power in the game, and there are few builds that do not appreciate Hasten. However, you are playing the AT that possibly appreciates Hasten the least. Please do not walk away from this guide with either the impression that Hasten is mandatory for all sentinels or that Hasten is useless to all sentinels; rather, the Sentinel is uniquely weak such that it probably wants access to about six power pools and wishes it could take about 3 to 4 fewer powers from its secondary, and has few ultra-long cooldowns with unique effects that it benefits from.

I give ratings of every Primary and Epic Power, and in those ratings, I include a value for how much that power benefits from Hasten. It is worth taking into consideration, especially if you see yourself with a lot of 4s and 5s in that category. Hasten needs a total of +275% Recharge from all sources (205% not including itself) in order to reach permanent Hasten status.

VIb. Travel Powers

As an Energy Blast Sentinel, there is a strong preference for taking flight; not only does it allow you to control the direction of your knockbacks, it's safer in the air, and hover is a defense power (as discussed later). However, it is not your only option.

The travel power pools are Speed, Leaping, Flight, Teleport, and Sorcery.

Speed: This is a mostly bad pool saved by the ridiculously good Hasten; Super Speed isn't bad but is more niche. Burnout has no use beyond allowing you to start a 'crashing' T9 again right before it's going to expire so that you can keep fighting. I can't think of any situations where I really want a build like that but it might be interesting. Whirlwind is downright bad, Flurry is awful (can it get 100% chance to disorient at least?), and Super Speed...

So Super Speed is useful in that it is very fast, has good ground traction, and (most importantly) grants minor stealth equal to the Stealth power in the Concealment pool. Slotted with a stealth run IO or paired with a stealth IO in sprint, you're effectively invisible to most enemies. However, running very fast in a flat line is of limited utility in the Rogue Isles and in several late or endgame task forces and trials. Ninja Run + Sprint gets you to 60 MPH. Super Speed with a single slot in Run Speed gets a maximum of 92.6 MPH.

Leaping: This is a weird pool, because 'super leaping' hasn't really been a common superpower as like, someone's focus in a long time. It tends to more be a byproduct of someone generally having super athleticism, and Super Jump itself specifically has to contend with being useless indoors and competing with Ninja Run outdoors. However, the pool as a whole is fine.

Jump Kick is one of the less bad pool attacks. it is not, despite what it says, 'good if you are looking for another attack power' but it isn't literally worse than doing nothing due to endurance cost, unlike Flurry. (I would support a buff).

Combat Jumping is premiere and that's what most people come here for -- it's a good source of defense, it costs basically nothing and with no other investment in jumping, my fast-hover still technically is slower than my jump. CJ is hard to compete with for good battlefield movement. It even gives immobilize resistance! Most of the Sentinel secondaries give that, but good to note. A small thing is that Combat Jumping will reduce air traction slightly, although it's not noticeable with Hover or Afterburner.

Acrobatics gives some modest knockback and hold protection, but most of your secondaries should already give that. A few don't give KB protection, but it's easy to get KB -4 from various sources, which is all you need for PvE. Skip.

Spring Attack I have no data on. I know people who swear by it but I haven't spent the time to sit there and measure it out. If you can give feedback with numbers, appreciated.

Flight: A solid pool with only one bad power. Air Superiority isn't ideal for Sentinels, since there are better ways to get a ranged anti-air move in the epic pools and the damage is similar to Jump Kick's.

Fly is not inspiring (it's about 2/3 the speed of Super Speed and never needs any slotting by itself) but it is useful.

Hover starts out ridiculously slow, but if you can spare getting it into the 100%+ enhancement range, and keep a prestige power jump jet bound for bursts of speed, you may come to appreciate just how fast you can move, actually. Hover isn't subject to travel power suppression, either. It also gives defense.

Afterburner requires some investment; you need about 90% enhancement (two IOs with one boosted, for example) to get the most out of it, but even with only one fly speed enhancement, you'll pick up around a 25% speed increase from Fly's normal speed. Afterburner caps at about 87 MPH. Furthermore, while Afterburner is active, you get a huge bonus to defenses of all kinds, making it a good panic button. And because it boosts defense, that makes it a suitable potential mule for Luck of the Gambler, mentioned above.

Group Fly... well, every pool has to have a lemon, right? The way it's set up, you and the people flying with you do not fly at exactly the same rates, which means that even if someone really needs the help, you have to stop every few seconds to wait for them to catch up, or they'll plummet to their doom. This only sees use during Hamidon Raids.

Teleport: This pool has a problem in that it gives you absolutely nothing but travel options. A teleporter is unparalleled in speed -- and since your Aim gives you a boost to range on a relatively short cooldown, you can move quite fast across really big zones. The downsides are that there are only a handful of zones that are so large they benefit from this raw speed and that there are zero teleportation powers and only one set that improves your battle performance in any way. The utility of Long-Range Teleport is particularly undercut by the existences of the TUNNEL network portals, the Pocket D VIP card, and the Ouroboros Portal, while Team Teleport is challenged by both a temporary power and an incarnate power that duplicate its effects.

You might be wondering about Teleport Foe.

Don't.

Sorcery: Another ridiculously even-quality pool. Mystic Flight is faster than regular Flight when you include the Translocation ability, and is roughly comparable with Afterburner, and Mystic Flight eats up less endurance than regular Flight. While the teleports can't increase range like true teleport, you don't risk falling if you do it without hover. If you can only grab one travel power, Mystic Flight is probably the best to get. However, it lacks the air control of a dedicated flying character, and there's no source of defense if you need LotG slots.

But Sorcery finds other things to be good at.

Spirit Ward is a solid amount of absorption, and a great bit of support that a Sentinel can bring for their team.

Arcane Bolt is the least bad pool power yet, and Sentinels may appreciate that it has 80 ft. range. Its damage per animation second is only 20% lower than an Energy Blast attack, which is a steal at this point. I mean, I still wouldn't take it, but...

Enflame I have no numbers for and haven't tried, so I can't comment.

Rune of Protection is a reasonably good panic button for a Sentinel that has some resistance but isn't capped, especially if it covers a protection your secondary normally lacks. Moreover, it can hold Resistance Unique IOs mentioned way back at the start of the document.

VIc. Defense Powers

Defense Powers! If you intend your sentinel to see the frontlines, or you plan on doing Incarnate Trials where even backliners can get hit with big AoEs regardless of tanking quality, you'll probably invest in some of these.

Hover and Combat Jumping are defense powers, and are written up above. I will not write them up a second time.

Concealment: Kind of heavy on the Endurance, Stealth grants the same defense bonus in combat as Hover and Combat Jumping and is accessible with no prerequisites. If it didn't slow your movement down, it'd probably be more popular -- I go from 40 MPH with Hover down to 32, which is pretty significant for me. Still, the stealth is great in combination with any of the stealth travel IOs, giving you almost perfect invisibility.

The rest of Concealment is seldom worth the effort to invest in. Grant invisibility? Better ways of doing a group stealth run (have the stealth person use team teleport.) Invisibility? it's an improvement on Stealth but it's mutually exclusive with it, and you have to toggle it off to attack. And it's expensive as hell on the endurance.

Misdirection and Phase Shift are both 'oops, get out of here' powers, which is rarely a wise decision in CoX combat and is playing more to a blaster's weaknesses than a Sentinel's.

Fighting: Brawl, Kick, it's all in the mind. If you take all of the fighting attacks, you end up with three usable attacks. I recommend you just go with a Street Justice scrapper instead. However, Boxing or Kick (like Brawl) can be used to slot Kinetic Combat for Smashing/Lethal Defense if you need it and is a necessary first step to get the very powerful Tough and Weave. Personally, I hated taking this pool as I didn't envision my character as having trained as a melee combatant, but it's too hard to skip if Defense and Resistance are important to you.

Leadership: Maneuvers not only improves your defense, it improves your party -- as the Sentinel needs defense and also has questionable group utility, this is a strong pick. Assault and Tactics are up to taste; I find Tactics more useful dealing with a few high evasion or to-hit debuffing enemies like Rikti Drones and Circle of Thorns, as well as a way to resist the effect of Arachnos blinding, and Tactics can take a few sets (though I don't use any in my Tactics, just Special Origin enhancements). Assault can't take any sets, but helps address a Sentinel's anemic damage. Vengeance is always a good panic button and is a potential Gambler mule; Victory Rush is bad, don't bother.

VId. Miscellaneous Powers

Medicine: This is unusably bad. Maybe it's just my connection, but even with Field Medic I found it frighteningly easy to interrupt using Aid Other or Aid Self by trying to move or getting hit.

Presence: Provoke could actually be a reasonable power to take if Sentinels weren't kneecapped on defense compared to Scrappers and Stalkers. As it is we usually need just enough extra investment in our defense that we can't spare the slot, so you'll just have to choose to either build to be strong enough to watch the rest of your team die around you or die with them if things go south.

Unrelenting looks interesting but has too short of a duration or too long of a cooldown to be worth the investment. Also, its ability to prevent T9s from crashing was never implemented, so don't believe what it says there.

VII. Epic Power Pools

Beginning at level 35, you can take so-called Epic Power Pools; these do not count against your limit of Utility Power Pools. Unlike the Utility Power Pools, Epic Power Pools are archetype-specific. While some archetypes share their Epic Power Pools with one another, like Scrappers and Brutes, Sentinels have wholly unique Epic Power Pools. Like Utility Power Pools, you may choose from a different Epic Power Pool with each respecialization.

The T1 Epic Powers can be taken at level 35. T2 Epic Powers require one of the previous two powers and can be taken at level 41. Finally, the T3 Epic Power requires two previous powers and can be taken at level 44.

There are two categories of Epic Powers: Ancillary Powers, which every archetype gets access to automatically at 35 (except the Epic Archetypes), and Patron Powers, which every archetype can earn from a level 35 Villain-side plotline (except the Epic Hero archetypes).

For Sentinels, Ancillary Powers usually consist of one AoE control option and one melee attack at T1; one melee or single-target control and one PBAoE attack at T2; and one support option at T3.

Patron Powers consist of one AoE control option and one melee attack at T1; one melee or single-target control option and one unique effect at T2; and a pet that can be made permanent with a lot of effort at T3.

I have not used all of the Ancillary Powers and I have not used any of the Sentinel Patron Powers. Sections where I am speculating will have the title written in red and have (Speculative) next to the title. I invite insight from those experienced in using them firsthand.

VIIa. Ancillary Power Pools

I'm repeating this as a reminder in case you skipped over it in the beginning of Section VII.

For Sentinels, Ancillary Powers usually consist of one AoE control option and one melee attack at T1; one melee or single-target control and one PBAoE attack at T2; and one support option at T3.

I have not used all of the Ancillary Powers and I have not used any of the Sentinel Patron Powers. Sections where I am speculating will have the title written in red and have (Speculative) next to the title. I invite insight from those experienced in using them firsthand.

DARK (speculative)

Dark is a powerful offensive support set that brings in some of the best features of more dedicated offensive sets like Fire and dedicated support sets like Psychic. It has a fantastic T3 capstone that encourages going all the way, though going there requires definite sacrifices in the player's build. Dark Mastery does not like getting ambushed and can have somewhat iffy survival if it depends on To-Hit debuffs to make softcaps in defense.

NAME: Netherworld Tentacles (T1; 35)

TYPE: Ranged (Cone), Minor DoT(Negative), Foe Immobilize, -To Hit, -Fly, -KB

DESCRIPTION: You can create a cone-shaped rift to the Netherworld that allows its native creatures to slip their oily tentacles into our reality. These creatures will snare all foes within range, immobilizing them while the Tentacles drain their life and reduce their chance to hit.

NOTES: Opens up with one of the most useful (and very wide) cones. The damage is light even for an AoE immobilize, but it makes up for it with that sizable to-hit penalty, which I would enhance to at least 30 to 50%. This is great for an Energy Torrent using Sentinel looking to give team support. Interface can bring this damage up to semi-respectable levels.

SEE ALSO: Energy Torrent, Dark Armor Powers

HASTEN: 2. -To Hit doesn't stack from the same power and your purpose isn't really dealing damage with this attack.

• Minimal: Accuracy/-ToHit Debuffs from Special Origin or Accuracy/Mez from Special Origin
  • Offensive: N/A the damage is gonna suck.
  • Defensive: Enfeebled Operation (Smashing, Lethal, Melee); Trap of the Hunter (Ranged, Energy, Negative); Siphon Insight (Smashing, Lethal, Fire, Cold, Melee, AoE)
  • Recharge: Gravitational Anchor (10%); Dampened Spirits (5%); Enfeebled Operation (3.75%)
  • Unique: Annihilation: Chance for Res Debuff makes your immobilize a strong opener for all other AoEs. Dark Watcher's Despair: Chance for Recharge Slow has a better chance of happening and won't need to double-stack to affect bosses (or higher to affect anything EBs and AVs).

NAME: Smite (T1; 35)

TYPE: Melee, Moderate DMG (Smash/Negative), Foe -To Hit

DESCRIPTION: Your wrap your fists with Negative Energy channeled from the Netherworlds, then perform a Smite that deals more damage than Shadow Punch, but has a longer recharge time. Smite clouds the target's vision, lowering their chance to hit for a short time.

NOTES: High damage on a relatively short cooldown, with a very useful drawback. An excellent reason to Sentinel Scrap, and an OK choice for frankenslotting at moderate global recharge levels. Doesn't work well with the positioning for Netherworld Tentacles, given that it's a cone AoE.

SEE ALSO: Cremate (Fire Mastery), Havoc Punch (Electricity Mastery), Mind Probe (Psionic Mastery), Ice Sword (Ice Mastery), Sting of the Wasp (Ninja Tool Mastery), Pulverize (Mace Mastery), Knockout Blow (Leviathan Mastery), Midnight Grasp (Soul Mastery).

HASTEN: 5. The duration of the To Hit debuff is shorter than the native recharge and your DPS will go up significantly if you can get this to be part of a three attack chain.

• Minimal: Accuracy/-ToHit Debuffs from Special Origin
  • Offensive: Five-slot Hecatomb and don't look back. Mako's Bite if you can't afford it.
  • Defensive: Kinetic Combat (Smashing, Lethal, Melee); Mako's Bite (Ranged, Energy, Negative); Blistering Cold (Smashing, Lethal, Fire, Cold, Melee, AoE); Overwhelming Force (HP, Ranged, Energy, Negative, Knockback)
  • Recharge: Hecatomb (10%); Crushing Impact (5%)
  • Unique: Cloud Senses (Chance for Negative Energy Damage)

NAME: Engulfing Darkness (T2; 41)

TYPE: PBAoE, Moderate DMG(Negative), Foe -To Hit, Minor DoT(Negative)

DESCRIPTION: You release a burst of negative energy to foes around you dealing moderate Negative Energy damage, reducing their chance to hit and sapping their health over time.

NOTES: Note that 'sapping their health over time' does not mean you get healed from damaging them. The recharge is much longer than the duration, but this can pair well with a KB-to-KD Nova. Doesn't work well with Netherworld Tentacles, works well with Smite. This is a pretty expensive attack that burns endurance.

SEE ALSO: Dark Armor powerset, Nova

HASTEN: 5. The duration of the To Hit debuff is much shorter than the native recharge.

• Minimal: Accuracy/-ToHit Debuffs from Special Origin
  • Defensive: Overwhelming Force (HP, Ranged, Energy, Negative, Knockback); Scirocco's Dervish (Fire, Cold, AoE, Psionic); Obliteration (Melee, Smashing, Lethal); Frozen Blast (AoE, Fire, Cold).
  • Recharge: Armageddon (10%); Obliteration (5%)
  • Unique: Cloud Senses (Chance for Negative Energy Damage)

NAME: Netherworld Grasp (T2; 41)

TYPE: Ranged, Moderate DMG(Negative), Foe Hold, -To Hit

DESCRIPTION: Mastery over the forces of the Netherworld allows you to summon dark tentacles to render your target helpless and inflicting moderate negative energy damage. Even if the target is powerful enough to resist the power's hold effect they will have their chance to hit reduced.

NOTES: Pairs well with Gravitational Anchor in Netherworld Tentacles and Chance for Hold in Devastation in any primary set blasts.

SEE ALSO: Char (Fire Mastery), Paralyzing Jolt (Electricity Mastery), Dominate (Psionic Mastery), Block of Ice (Ice Mastery), Paralyzing Dart (Ninja Tool Mastery), Web Cocoon (Mace Mastery), Spirit Shark Jaws (Leviathan Mastery), Electric Shackles (Mu Mastery), Soul Storm (Soul Mastery).

HASTEN: 5 for To Hit. The duration of the To Hit debuff is much shorter than the native recharge. 4 for Hold; it's a long recharge for a hold.

• Minimal: Accuracy/-ToHit Debuffs or Accuracy/Mez from Special Origin
  • Offensive: Lockdown
  • Defensive: Lockdown (Energy, Negative, Fire, Cold, Ranged, AoE); Gladiator's Net (AoE, Fire, Cold), Entomb (Energy, Negative, Fire, Cold, Ranged, AoE); Siphon Insight (Smashing, Lethal, Fire, Cold, Melee, AoE)
  • Recharge: Unbreakable Constraint (10%); Gladiator's Net (7.5%); Dampened Spirits (5%), Dark Watcher's Despair (5%)
  • Unique: Lockdown (Chance for +2 Mag Hold) and Cloud Senses (Chance for Negative Energy Damage). Lockdown is better with slower recharging attacks than Cloud Senses.

NAME: Darkest Night (T3; 44)

TYPE: Toggle: Ranged (Targeted AoE), Foe -DMG -To Hit

DESCRIPTION: While active, you channel Negative Energy onto a targeted foe. Darkest Night decreaes the damage potential and chance to hit of the target, and all foes nearby, as long as you keep the power active.

NOTES: This is a somewhat pricey toggle, but it's worth it. Both the damage debuff and To-Hit penalty can be mitigated somewhat, but with a whopping 25 foot radius, it will definitely reduce the hurt your team receives from any source.

SEE ALSO: Link Minds (Psionic Mastery), Darkest Night (Soul Mastery) and Snow Storm (Ice Mastery) for other powerful AoE team support abilities, or Kemuridama (Ninja Tool Mastery) for another -to hit, -dmg effect.

HASTEN: 2. You shouldn't really be needing to use this on a new target more than once a pull, and you can easily get this into the 15 second territory without Hasten at level 50. Still, it doesn't hurt.

• Minimal: Endurance/-ToHit Debuffs from Special Origin, two or three of them
  • Offensive: Dark Watcher's Despair is the only real option.
  • Defensive: Discouraging Words (Smashing, Lethal, Melee). Probably not a good option.
  • Recharge: Dark Watcher's Despair (5%), Dampened Spirits (5%)
  • Unique: Toggles are generally terrible choices to put procs into.

ELECTRICITY

Electricity Mastery is a great set for a lot of other powersets, but doesn't pair especially well with Energy, as its AoE immobilize provides no Knockback Resistance, one of the biggest things Energy wants from a Mastery. However, if you're willing to look past that and slot KB-to-KD in your AoE powers, Electricity Mastery does bring a lot of advantages for both ranged-focused and melee-range Sentinels.

NAME: Chain Fences (T1; 35)

TYPE: Ranged AoE, Minor DMG(Energy), Foe Immobilize, -End, -Fly, -KB

DESCRIPTION: You can immobilize multiple foes in a chain of electricity, dealing minor damage to all foes in range and draining some endurance. This power also reduces Flight capacity in targets.

NOTES: It's pretty endurance expensive, but Chain Fences deals OK damage for an immobilize (low bar, yes), has a low cooldown, eats a small amount of endurance and -- most importantly -- completely kills Endurance recovery for most mobs. If you can survive the alpha, it won't take long until they're huffing and puffing, a fact that you can accelerate if your secondary (like Energy, Electriciy, or Ice) also drains endurance. Interface can bring this damage up to semi-respectable levels.

SEE ALSO: Power Sink (Electric Armor), Power Drain (Energy Aura), Moisture Absorption (Ice Armor)

HASTEN: 1. This attack not only doesn't need a lower cooldown than you can get from basic slotting, it devours endurance as-is.

• Minimal: Accuracy/Mez from Special Origin
  • Offensive: Performance Shifter, Efficacy Adaptor
  • Defensive: Enfeebled Operation (Smashing, Lethal, Melee); Trap of the Hunter (Ranged, Energy, Negative); Siphon Insight (Smashing, Lethal, Fire, Cold, Melee, AoE); Performance Shifter (Fire, Cold, AoE)
  • Recharge: Gravitational Anchor (10%); Efficacy Adaptor (5%); Dampened Spirits (5%); Enfeebled Operation (3.75%)
  • Unique: Performance Shifter is non-unique and has a high chance of returning Energy once per cast on a large group, which can help mitigate the insane cost. Annihilation: Chance for Res Debuff makes your immobilize a strong opener for all other AoEs.

NAME: Havoc Punch (T1; 35)

TYPE: Melee, Moderate DMG (Smash/Energy), Foe Sleep

DESCRIPTION: The Havoc Punch is a slower attack than Charged Brawl, but makes up for it with a greater damage. Havoc Punch can drain some Endurance from your target and may overload their synapses, leaving him writhing for a moment. A portion of the drained Endurance may be given back to you. Disturbing an overloaded target will disperse the electrical charge and release him.

NOTES: One of the weaker melee moves unless you can get extremely high global recharge, at which point it becomes one of the strongest. There's no procs in Sleep that I think are worth the effort, but there are a lot of good procs in knockback -- and it only delivers knockdown. A move that's basically guaranteed to trigger any proc at 2 PPM or higher with a good chance of hitting a 1 PPM move has its uses. However, because Chain Fences can't block KB, Havoc Punch is probably best on non-Energy Blast primaries.

SEE ALSO: Cremate (Fire Mastery), Smite (Dark Mastery), Mind Probe (Psionic Mastery), Ice Sword (Ice Mastery), Sting of the Wasp (Ninja Tool Mastery), Pulverize (Mace Mastery), Knockout Blow (Leviathan Mastery), Midnight Grasp (Soul Mastery).

HASTEN: 5. The recharge is really long and you may struggle to get this as part of an attack chain without Hasten.

• Minimal: There's no reason to take this if you're going to minimally slot it
  • Offensive: Five-slot Hecatomb and don't look back. Mako's Bite if you can't afford it.
  • Defensive: Kinetic Combat (Smashing, Lethal, Melee); Mako's Bite (Ranged, Energy, Negative); Blistering Cold (Smashing, Lethal, Fire, Cold, Melee, AoE); Overwhelming Force (HP, Ranged, Energy, Negative, Knockback)
  • Unique: Force Feedback: Chance for Recharge; Explosive Strike: Chance of Smashing Damage

NAME: Lightning Field (T2; 41)

TYPE: Toggle: PBAoE, Minor DoT(Energy), Foe -End

DESCRIPTION: While active, you emit a storm of electricity that constantly damages all nearby foes.

NOTES: While the damage isn't gigantic, it is enough that it makes up for the Havoc Punch shortcomings; if you can spare two powers and get a very high recharge, Electric can actually reach a slightly higher (~5%) ST DPS than Fire Mastery as a result, although much lower AoE DPS. It reduces endurance but does nothing to foes' recovery rate, so don't focus too much on Endurance Modification.

SEE ALSO: Havoc Punch, Power Drain (Elec Armor), Power Sink (Energy Aura), Moisture Absorption (Ice Armor)

HASTEN: 5. The duration of the To Hit debuff is much shorter than the native recharge.

• Minimal: Accuracy/Damage from Special Origin
  • Defensive: Overwhelming Force (HP, Ranged, Energy, Negative, Knockback); Scirocco's Dervish (Fire, Cold, AoE, Psionic); Obliteration (Melee, Smashing, Lethal); Frozen Blast (AoE, Fire, Cold); Performance Shifter (Fire, Cold, AoE)
  • Recharge: Armageddon (10%); Obliteration (5%); Efficacy Adaptor (5%)
  • Unique: None

NAME: Paralyzing Jolt (T2; 41)

TYPE: Ranged, Moderate DMG(Energy), Foe Stun, -End

DESCRIPTION: You strike an enemy with a powerful jolt of electricity, disorienting him, draining some endurance, and causing moderate damage over time.

NOTES: You don't get a lot of good sources of disorient (there are a few IOs but they have very low PPM). However, the attack is blisteringly accurate and does OK damage, so it's a good candidate for minimal slotting. You can get away with making this part of your ranged attack chain for the times you don't want to bother to close in for Havoc Punch.

SEE ALSO: Char (Fire Mastery), Netherworld Grasp (Dark Mastery), Dominate (Psionic Mastery), Block of Ice (Ice Mastery), Paralyzing Dart (Ninja Tool Mastery), Web Cocoon (Mace Mastery), Spirit Shark Jaws (Leviathan Mastery), Electric Shackles (Mu Mastery), Soul Storm (Soul Mastery).

HASTEN: 2. More recharge means you can self stack more easily, but it's easy to get this to a 4 second cooldown without Hasten.

• Minimal: Damage/Mez from Special Origin
  • Defensive: Stupefy (Ranged, Energy, Negative); Apocalypse (Psionic); Devastation (Psionic); Gladiator's Javelin (HP, KB); Thunderstrike (Ranged, Energy, Negative); Winter's Bite (Ranged, AoE, Energy, Negative, Fire, Cold); Overwhelming Force (HP, Ranged, Energy, Negative,
  • Recharge: Apocalypse (10%); Decimation (6.25%); Stupefy (6.25%)
  • Unique: Absolute Amazement: Chance of To Hit Debuff is excellent here as part of an attack chain.

NAME: Rehabilitating Circuit (T3; 44)

TYPE: Chain, Team +Heal

DESCRIPTION: You can use your Rehabilitating Circuit to heal the wounds of your group. Although you can be healed by this power, you need to use it against an ally for the chain to affect you.

NOTES: Probably the best heal other a Sentinel can get, healing about a sixth of HP over a wide area. 

SEE ALSO: Warmth (Fire Mastery)

HASTEN: 4. The cooldown's long enough that if things are in deep crap, you want to be able to spam this.

• Minimal: Frankenslot Heal/Recharge from two sets and boost, or Frankenslot Heal/End/Recharge from three sets and boost.
  • Offensive: N/A
  • Defensive: Numina's Convalescence (Ranged, Energy, Negative); Miracle (AoE, Fire, Cold, Psionic)
  • Recharge: Preventive Medicine (8.75%), Panacea (7.5%), Doctored Wounds (5%)
  • Unique: Panacea: +Hit Points/Endurance is a big loss to yourself, but a potential large gain for your group. Preventive Medicine, Numina's Convalescence, and Miracle will all work here on you, not your target, which is good if you want to six-slot a set.

FIRE

Fire Mastery is for doing damage. It (just barely) has the highest DPS AoE immobilize, and more importantly, the immobilize is perfectly compatible with a maxed out Nova. Cremate is easy to get into a three-attack chain. Fire Sword Circle is good if you really want another AoE. The only thing about Fire is that it burns your Endurance as fast as it burns up your enemies if you're not careful.

NAME: Fire Cages (T1; 35)

TYPE: Ranged (Targeted AoE), Minor DoT(Fire), Foe Immobilize, -End, -Fly, -KB

DESCRIPTION: Immobilizes a group of foes in Fire Cages, dealing fire damage over time. More resilient foes may require multiple Fire Cages to immobilize. Fire Cages is slower and less damaging than Ring of Fire, but can capture multiple targets.

NOTES: Not a cone, and it blocks KB, and it's got a wide radius. This is perfect for Nova spam. The DPS-AT of this attack is, in absolute terms, very small. But in relative terms it's 10% better than Electric Cages and and 25% better than Netherworld Tentacles, and since there's no other effects here, may as well build up the damage if you have slots to spare. Interface can bring this damage up to semi-respectable levels. Finally, Fire Cages is really bright and really noticeable. My eyesight isn't the best and I find this power's greatest utility to be that I can see all of the dark enemies in a dark area very clearly, helping me figure out who to fight and how many of them are left.

SEE ALSO: Any AoE attack.

HASTEN: 2. It's fairly easy to get the cooldown low enough to stack on bosses but a little more doesn't hurt. Still, be careful with the endurance cost.

• Minimal: Accuracy/Mez from Special Origin or Damage/Mez from Special Origin
  • Offensive: Don't.
  • Defensive: Enfeebled Operation (Smashing, Lethal, Melee); Trap of the Hunter (Ranged, Energy, Negative); Siphon Insight (Smashing, Lethal, Fire, Cold, Melee, AoE)
  • Recharge: Gravitational Anchor (10%); Dampened Spirits (5%); Enfeebled Operation (3.75%)
  • Unique: Annihilation: Chance for Res Debuff makes your immobilize a strong opener for all other AoEs.

NAME: Cremate (T1; 35)

TYPE: Melee, High DMG (Smash/Fire)

DESCRIPTION: A slow but devastating attack. Cremate clobbers your foes with a massive 2 handed fiery smash that leaves your foe set on fire.

NOTES: "Slow" and "devastating" are both strong terms, but Cremate is a sizable DPS increase at low to medium levels of global recharge, roughly 10% better than any other Epic Pool's melee attack due to a decent base damage and wildfire-quick recharge. At only 1.7s to cast, it's not really any longer to animate than a ranged attack, which you will definitely appreciate in movement-heavy fights like the AV at the end of the New Praetorians arc, the boss of the Apex Task Force, and the Magisterium final fight.

SEE ALSO: Havoc Punch (Electricity Mastery), Smite (Dark Mastery), Mind Probe (Psionic Mastery), Ice Sword (Ice Mastery), Sting of the Wasp (Ninja Tool Mastery), Pulverize (Mace Mastery), Knockout Blow (Leviathan Mastery), Midnight Grasp (Soul Mastery).

HASTEN: 2. The recharge is very short and it's not hard to get this down to a 3 attack chain.

• Unique: Gladiator's Strike: Chance of Smashing Damage is your best bet here for a proc after Hecatomb itself, but recharge is so low it's not great. I throw in a Special Origin Hamidon Damage/Range to give me a little more flexibility on positioning. It would be entirely reasonable to throw in a 50+5 Enhancement Reduction instead given how much of an endurance burn this move is and how little endurance is provided by the Hecatomb set.

NAME: Char (T2; 41)

TYPE: Ranged, Moderate DoT(Fire), Foe Hold

DESCRIPTION: Incapacitates a distant foe by Charring him with smoldering soot and cinders. The target is left helpless, choking on the soot. The target will take some fire damage from char, but the damage is very trivial.

NOTES: It's a hold. It's a good hold. I'm just not sure how much you really need a hold, especially one as low damage as this.

SEE ALSO: Paralyzing Jolt (Electricity Mastery), Netherworld Grasp (Dark Mastery), Dominate (Psionic Mastery), Block of Ice (Ice Mastery), Paralyzing Dart (Ninja Tool Mastery), Web Cocoon (Mace Mastery), Spirit Shark Jaws (Leviathan Mastery), Electric Shackles (Mu Mastery), Soul Storm (Soul Mastery).

HASTEN: 4. The recharge is pretty long, which at least makes it good for using procs.

• Defensive: Lockdown (Energy, Negative, Fire, Cold, Ranged, AoE); Gladiator's Net (AoE, Fire, Cold), Entomb (Energy, Negative, Fire, Cold, Ranged, AoE)
  • Recharge: Unbreakable Constraint (10%); Gladiator's Net (7.5%)
  • Unique: The slow recharge makes Lockdown a clear winner, since its +2 Mag Hold will almost always proc if you haven't slotted a lot of enhancement recharge; this is strong enough to have it always hold bosses for 8 seconds (not including their mez resistance, if any). This is a big deal when dealing with annoying groups like Arachnos.

NAME: Fire Sword Circle (T2; 41)

TYPE: PBAoE Melee, Moderate DMG(Fire/Lethal)

DESCRIPTION: Mastery of your Fire Sword has enabled you to make an attack on every foe within melee distance. This will slash and burn your enemies, dealing moderate damage and setting them ablaze.

NOTES: The damage is pretty high, but so is the cast time; this is an attack for if you're seriously investing in AoE, since it will drop your Single Target DPS heavily due to the long animation.

SEE ALSO: Lightning Field (Electricity Mastery), Frozen Aura (Ice Mastery), Engulfing Darkness (Dark Mastery), Psychic Shockwave (Psionic Mastery), The Lotus Drops (Ninja Tool Mastery), Arctic Breath (Leviathan Mastery), Static Discharge (Mu Mastery), Thunder Strike (Mu Mastery).

HASTEN: 5. It's got a long recharge and if you're using this attack, you clearly wanted more AoE.

• Defensive: Overwhelming Force (HP, Ranged, Energy, Negative, Knockback); Scirocco's Dervish (Fire, Cold, AoE, Psionic); Obliteration (Melee, Smashing, Lethal); Frozen Blast (AoE, Fire, Cold)
  • Unique: If not part of a set, Eradication is a little better than Scirocco's Dervish and Obliteration for extra damage, as Energy is not resisted as badly as Smashing or Lethal. Superior Avalanche fits with the general knockdown/knockback qualities of Energy Blast.

NAME: Warmth (T3; 44)

TYPE: PBAoE, Team +Heal

DESCRIPTION: You can use your Warmth to heal some of your wounds, and the wounds of your group. This power has a small radius, so your allies need to be near you if they wish to be affected.

NOTES: It's Rehabilitating Circuit with a worse area design. The only reason to take this is if you're a resistance-based set that doesn't get a lot of self-healing.

SEE ALSO: Rehabilitating Circuit (Electricity Mastery)

HASTEN: 2. The cooldown's long enough that if things are in deep crap, you want to be able to spam this. But the animation length is kinda high and the heal strength is kinda weak, so... do you -really- want to spam this?

• Minimal: Max heal strength. It's an emergency button, that's it.
  • Defensive: Numina's Convalescence (Ranged, Energy, Negative); Miracle (AoE, Fire, Cold, Psionic)
  • Recharge: Preventive Medicine (8.75%), Panacea (7.5%), Doctored Wounds (5%)
  • Unique: Preventive Medicine, Numina's Convalescence, and Miracle will all work here on you, not your target, which is good if you want to six-slot a set.

ICE

Ice Mastery is an offensive support set -- but where Dark Mastery focuses on -to hit, Ice Mastery focuses on slowing movement and recharge. While -to-hit is more dramatic an effect to an enemy's offense, recharge slows and movement slows also drop enemy support, which can be just as important..

NAME: Frostbite (T1; 35)

TYPE: Ranged (Targeted AoE), Minor DoT(Cold), Foe Immobilize, -Speed, -Recharge, -Fly, -KB

DESCRIPTION: Immobilizes a group of foes in icy traps. Deals minimal Cold damage over time and slightly slows the targets. Slower and less damaging than Chilblain but can capture multiple targets. More resilient foes may only be Slowed.

NOTES: The least damaging immobilize yet, Frostbite gives a moderate -30% slow on all movement speeds and also inflicts a fairly nasty -20% recharge on them. It's not as good at a total shutdown of enemies as Electric Fences, but you can start to feel its benefits earlier, since it doesn't take long for enemies to cycle through their basic attacks.

SEE ALSO: Any AoE attack.

HASTEN: 2. It's fairly easy to get the cooldown low enough to stack on bosses but a little more doesn't hurt. Still, be careful with the endurance cost.

• Offensive: This won't hurt anything.
  • Defensive: Enfeebled Operation (Smashing, Lethal, Melee); Trap of the Hunter (Ranged, Energy, Negative); Siphon Insight (Smashing, Lethal, Fire, Cold, Melee, AoE); Pacing of the Turtle (Ranged, Energy, Negative); Tempered Readiness (Ranged, Energy, Negative)
  • Recharge: Gravitational Anchor (10%); Dampened Spirits (5%); Enfeebled Operation (3.75%); Tempered Readiness (3.75%)
  • Unique: Annihilation: Chance for Res Debuff makes your immobilize a strong opener for all other AoEs.

NAME: Ice Sword (T1; 35)

TYPE: Melee, Moderate DMG (Cold/Lethal)

DESCRIPTION: You create a blade of solid ice that deals higher damage than Frozen Fists. Being hit by this Ice Sword will Slow a target's movement and attack speed, due to the intense chill.

NOTES: Effects are much weaker than Frostbite, and while they stack, the duration isn't very long. With its high base recharge it seems like a good choice for a frankenslot, but lacking good accuracy, costing a lot of endurance, and lack of access to any good procs that are not just damage all combine to make this the most questionable Sentinel melee attack.

SEE ALSO: Havoc Punch (Electricity Mastery), Smite (Dark Mastery), Mind Probe (Psionic Mastery), Cremate (Fire Mastery), Sting of the Wasp (Ninja Tool Mastery), Pulverize (Mace Mastery), Knockout Blow (Leviathan Mastery), Midnight Grasp (Soul Mastery).

HASTEN: 4. The recharge is pretty long.

• Defensive: Kinetic Combat (Smashing, Lethal, Melee); Mako's Bite (Ranged, Energy, Negative); Blistering Cold (Smashing, Lethal, Fire, Cold, Melee, AoE); Overwhelming Force (HP, Ranged, Energy, Negative, Knockback)); Pacing of the Turtle (Ranged, Energy, Negative); Tempered Readiness (Ranged, Energy, Negative)
  • Recharge: Hecatomb (10%); Crushing Impact (5%); Enfeebled Operation (3.75%); Tempered Readiness (3.75%)
  • Unique: If you're going to put Pacing of the Turtle's proc anywhere, here's a good place.

NAME: Block of Ice (T2; 41)

TYPE: Ranged, Foe Hold, -SPD, -Recharge

DESCRIPTION: You can freeze a single foe in a Block of Ice. The target is frozen solid, helpless, and can be attacked. More powerful foes may not be held, but all affected targets will be Slowed.

NOTES: While it's a low damage hold, the slows are heavy with a long duration (18s). That makes it good to use on hard targets that will resist the hold even. This is one of the strongest reasons to take Ice Mastery specifically.

SEE ALSO: Paralyzing Jolt (Electricity Mastery), Netherworld Grasp (Dark Mastery), Dominate (Psionic Mastery), Char (Fire Mastery), Paralyzing Dart (Ninja Tool Mastery), Web Cocoon (Mace Mastery), Spirit Shark Jaws (Leviathan Mastery), Electric Shackles (Mu Mastery), Soul Storm (Soul Mastery).

HASTEN: 4. The recharge is pretty long, which at least makes it good for using procs.

• Defensive: Lockdown (Energy, Negative, Fire, Cold, Ranged, AoE); Gladiator's Net (AoE, Fire, Cold), Entomb (Energy, Negative, Fire, Cold, Ranged, AoE)
  • Unique: The slow recharge makes Lockdown a clear winner, since its +2 Mag Hold will almost always proc if you haven't slotted a lot of enhancement recharge; this is strong enough to have it always hold bosses for 8 seconds (not including their mez resistance, if any). This is a big deal when dealing with annoying groups like Arachnos.

NAME: Frozen Aura (T2; 41)

TYPE: PBAoE Melee, Moderate DMG(Cold), Foe Sleep

DESCRIPTION: Your mastery of cold enables you to dramatically lower the temperature immediately around you. When you perform a frozen aura, nearby foes will be frozen within a fragile casing of ice and suffer a moderate amount of cold damage. These frozen foes will break free if attacked. Frozen Aura deals moderate damage.

NOTES: The only time the sleep effect is likely to be useful at all is when you're soloing; the mag is so low that it won't even affect Lieutenants unless there's another source of sleep stacking it. Thankfully, the damage is respectable, but overall it's a pretty skippable power.

SEE ALSO: Lightning Field (Electricity Mastery), Fire Sword Circle (Fire Mastery), Engulfing Darkness (Dark Mastery), Psychic Shockwave (Psionic Mastery), The Lotus Drops (Ninja Tool Mastery), Arctic Breath (Leviathan Mastery), Static Discharge (Mu Mastery), Thunder Strike (Mu Mastery).

HASTEN: 5. It's got a long recharge and if you're using this attack, you clearly wanted more AoE.

• Defensive: Overwhelming Force (HP, Ranged, Energy, Negative, Knockback); Scirocco's Dervish (Fire, Cold, AoE, Psionic); Obliteration (Melee, Smashing, Lethal); Frozen Blast (AoE, Fire, Cold)
  • Unique: If not part of a set, Eradication is a little better than Scirocco's Dervish and Obliteration for extra damage, as Energy is not resisted as badly as Smashing or Lethal. Superior Avalanche fits with the general knockdown/knockback qualities of Energy Blast. Call of the Sandman: Chance of Self-Heal offers a fairly reliable 5% heal, which is most likely to be useful for Resistance-based secondaries.

NAME: Snow Storm (T3; 44)

TYPE: Toggle: Ranged (Targeted AoE), Foe -Speed, -Recharge, -Fly

DESCRIPTION: While active, the chill from this Snow Storm can dramatically Slow the attack and movement speed of the target and all nearby foes. The torrent winds of the Snow Storm are enough to bring down flying foes.

NOTES: Frostbite could already bring down flying foes, but the additional slow and recharge slow in this power is very heavy -- -50%. Ice is another set that if you go into it, you want to go deep into it.

SEE ALSO: Link Minds (Psionic Mastery), Kemuridama (Ninja Tool Mastery), Darkest Night (Soul Mastery) and Darkest Night (Dark Mastery) for other powerful AoE team support abilities.

HASTEN: 2. You shouldn't really be needing to use this on a new target more than once a pull, and you can easily get this into the 15 second territory without Hasten at level 50. Still, it doesn't hurt.

• Minimal: Endurance Reduction. There's no way to improve the most important part of this, recharge slowing.
  • Offensive: This won't hurt anything.
  • Defensive: Pacing of the Turtle (Ranged, Energy, Negative); Tempered Readiness (Ranged, Energy, Negative)
  • Recharge: Tempered Readiness (3.75%)
  • Unique: Toggles are a bad place for procs.

NINJA TOOL (speculative)

Ninja Tool Mastery will not greatly increase your performance while solo, probably, but it is a very strong team support epic when properly slotted, wearing down foes and degrading their damage output while your allies deliver increasing amounts of hurt. Ninja Tool Mastery is of questionable benefit to an Energy Blast Sentinel since the opening two attacks can be tricky to synergize with Energy Blast's knockback, but the T2 and T3 choices are very strong.

NAME: Tashibishi (T1; 35)

TYPE: Ranged (Location AoE), Minor DoT(Lethal), Foe -Speed

DESCRIPTION: You toss a handful of Caltrops at a targeted location and spread the tiny metal spikes over a large area. Any villains that pass over the Caltrops will be forced to move at a slower rate. They will also take some trivial Lethal damage over time.

NOTES: Enemies don't like stepping on caltrops, which is useful for you if you're trying to herd them somewhere (like away from you.) More importantly, caltrops are actually a pretty big DPS increase against grounded foes that don't die fast, provided you don't shove recharge in and try to use it every single recharge. Wait for them to expire before reusing them. If you use caltrops, bear in mind that you're committing to using KB to KD IOs -- it's too hard to use most of the attacks in Energy with caltrops otherwise.

SEE ALSO: None

HASTEN: 1. The duration is the same as the recharge, and you cannot have more than one field of caltrops out at a time, so Hasten does not benefit this power whatsoever.

• Unique: Max out damage here, maybe add range, throw in as many damage procs as you can, maybe throw in a knockdown proc to keep them pratfalling.

NAME: Sting of the Wasp (T1; 35)

TYPE: Melee, Moderate DMG (Lethal), Foe -Def

DESCRIPTION: You perform a standard attack with your Ninja Blade. The attack is slower than Gambler's Cut, but deals more lethal damage. Sting of the Wasp can reduce a target's Defense, making them easier to hit.

NOTES: Damage is weak, and it's all lethal -- one of the most resisted damage types. However, it can slot the non-unique Achilles' Heel proc. While Sting of the Wasp does not have a high chance of activating this proc (only about 50% chance if no additional recharge is slotted in the power) it can be added to an attack chain easily. In general, Sting of the Wasp will lower your personal DPS a little bit but will heighten your teammates' performance.

SEE ALSO: Havoc Punch (Electricity Mastery), Smite (Dark Mastery), Mind Probe (Psionic Mastery), Cremate (Fire Mastery), Ice Sword (Ice Mastery), Pulverize (Mace Mastery), Knockout Blow (Leviathan Mastery), Midnight Grasp (Soul Mastery).

HASTEN: 2. The recharge is very short and it's not hard to get this down to a 3 attack chain.

• Minimal: Accuracy and Defense Debuff. The damage is meh, the goal here is to drop a nimble target down to size.
  • Defensive: Kinetic Combat (Smashing, Lethal, Melee); Mako's Bite (Ranged, Energy, Negative); Blistering Cold (Smashing, Lethal, Fire, Cold, Melee, AoE); Overwhelming Force (HP, Ranged, Energy, Negative, Knockback); Shield Breaker (AoE, Fire, Cold, Melee, Lethal, Smashing)
  • Unique: Achilles' Heel: Chance for -Res Debuff.

NAME: Paralyzing Dart (T2; 41)

TYPE: Ranged, Foe Hold

DESCRIPTION: Paralyzing Darts do minor toxic damage over time and incapacitate your foe.

NOTES: While it's a low damage hold, it also contains movement and recharge slows just as strong and as long as Ice Mastery's (18s). That makes it good to use on hard targets that will resist the hold even. This is one of the strongest reasons to take Ninja Tool Mastery specifically.

SEE ALSO: Paralyzing Jolt (Electricity Mastery), Netherworld Grasp (Dark Mastery), Dominate (Psionic Mastery), Char (Fire Mastery), Block of Ice (Ice Mastery), Web Cocoon (Mace Mastery), Spirit Shark Jaws (Leviathan Mastery), Electric Shackles (Mu Mastery), Soul Storm (Soul Mastery).

NAME: The Lotus Drops (T2; 41)

TYPE: PBAoE Melee, Moderate DMG(Lethal), Foe -Def

DESCRIPTION: You perform The Lotus Drops maneuver, attacking all foes in melee range. This attack wounds your opponents, causing them to take moderate damage over time and reduces their Defense.

NOTES: Damage per second is slightly on the high side for a Sentinel Epic AoE, and the cooldown isn't as bad as some others -- however, the radius is also a little smaller than some others. Overall, it's pretty skippable but it's not bad either. Excellent place to slot the Achilles' Heel proc due to high base recharge, and a good frankenslotting candidate with slightly higher than average accuracy.

SEE ALSO: Lightning Field (Electricity Mastery), Fire Sword Circle (Fire Mastery), Engulfing Darkness (Dark Mastery), Psychic Shockwave (Psionic Mastery), Frozen Aura (Ice Mastery), Arctic Breath (Leviathan Mastery), Static Discharge (Mu Mastery), Thunder Strike (Mu Mastery).

HASTEN: 4. It's got a high recharge and if you're using this attack, you clearly wanted more AoE.

• Unique: Achilles' Heel: Chance for -Res Debuff.

NAME: Kemuridama (T3; 44)

TYPE: PBAoE, Foe Placate -DMG -To Hit

DESCRIPTION: You activate a kemuridama smoke bomb at your feet. The resulting flash of light and smoke can briefly distract your foes and Placate them so they can no longer find you. A mixture of toxins in the smoke also weaken your foes, reducing how much damage they inflict in addition to lowering their chance to hit.

NOTES: The Placate is strong enough for anything weaker than an Elite Boss, but only has a 15 second duration. The -to hit and -dmg are equal to that of Darkest Night in the Dark Mastery Pool, and lasts 30 seconds -- with very heavy investment in recharge, it's possible to have this up permanently.

SEE ALSO: Link Minds (Psionic Mastery), Snow Storm (Ice Mastery), Darkest Night (Soul Mastery) and Darkest Night (Dark Mastery) for other powerful AoE team support abilities.

HASTEN: 5. The more you can have this up, the better.

• Minimal: At least one Accuracy, then go for Recharge.
  • Unique: Siphon Insight  or Dark Watcher's Despair are the only real choices for sets; the latter will need an external source of accuracy.

PSIONIC

Psionic Mastery starts out very weak, but it ends up strong on team support -- this is a Mastery that you'll want to make sure you can go three deep in. Anything less than that is a waste of your time. You have to be careful when using Psionic Mastery abilities for damage; although the raw numbers on Psionic Mastery damaging attacks are really good, Psionic Damage is either unresisted or extremely resisted by most groups. Robots take virtually no damage from psionic attacks. Thus, this is not an epic pool to go into for a soloing focus.

NAME: Mass Hypnosis (T1; 35)

TYPE: Ranged (Targeted AoE), Foe Sleep

DESCRIPTION: Hypnotizes a group of foes at a distance and puts them to sleep. The targets will remain a sleep for some time, but will awaken if attacked. This power deals no damage, but if done discreetly, the targes will never be aware of your presence.

NOTES: If you're gonna use this, you're going to have to let your team know you've got it and work with your tank so they know you're going to be shutting down, say, additional groups that run into you. With good coordination, sleep can trivialize every encounter... but at the same time, it's very boring and slow and not how CoX groups usually play. It's reasonable to treat this as a slot mule.

SEE ALSO: None

HASTEN: 3. Long recharge but you're also not using this power every time that often.

• Minimal: Accuracy and Mez Special Origin Enhancements
  • Offensive: THREE Accuracy and Mez Special Origin Enhancements
  • Defensive: Lethargic Repose (All Defenses but Psionic)
  • Recharge: Fortunata Hypnosis (10%), Call of the Sandman (6.25%)
  • Unique: None of the procs are really worth talking about.

NAME: Mind Probe (T1; 35)

TYPE: Melee, Moderate DMG(Psionic), Target -Recharge

DESCRIPTION: Grip the minds of your foe with a Mind Probe. You must be in close proximity to pull off this attack that wrecks havoc on your foes synapses, dealing moderate Psionic Damage while reducing their attack speed.

NOTES: Wow, there were a lot of writing errors in the above description. Anyway, here's the deal: the damage is good, but the damage isn't at all reliable, and the recharge isn't amazing, so it's probably not worth the effort to get it into a good attack chain. The -recharge is devastating in a prolonged fight at -40%, but it only lasts six seconds. So... to make the most of this attack, you gotta get recharge in the neighborhood of +400% including enhancements so as to perma Mind Probe one foe. Not fun, but possibly useful in conjunction with Psychic Shockwave. It's reasonable to treat this as a slot mule.

SEE ALSO: Havoc Punch (Electricity Mastery), Smite (Dark Mastery), Sting of the Wasp (Ninja Tool Mastery), Cremate (Fire Mastery), Ice Sword (Ice Mastery), Pulverize (Mace Mastery), Knockout Blow (Leviathan Mastery), Midnight Grasp (Soul Mastery).

HASTEN: 3. You need to get the recharge down if you're gonna use this, but why would you use this?

• Minimal: Accuracy and Damage. For those times you want to make random Primal Clockwork go splat, I guess.
  • Offensive: I really wouldn't bother, but if you insist: Hecatomb or Mako's Bite.
  • Unique: Really nothing special here.

NAME: Dominate (T2; 41)

TYPE: Ranged, Moderate DMG(Psionic), Foe Hold

DESCRIPTION: Painfully tears at the mind of a single foe. Dominate deals Psionic damage and renders a foe helpless, lost in their own mind and unable to defend themself.

NOTES: This hold is pretty good damage and accuracy -- although note general commentary on psionic damage -- and its recharge and duration are comparable, meaning it's trivial at level 50 to get it to stack enough to hold a boss. I'd focus on using it as a hold, but you can go for it as a damage attack if you're willing to just get shut out on damage when it comes to robots.

SEE ALSO: Paralyzing Jolt (Electricity Mastery), Netherworld Grasp (Dark Mastery), Paralyzing Dart (Ninja Tool Mastery), Char (Fire Mastery), Block of Ice (Ice Mastery), Web Cocoon (Mace Mastery), Spirit Shark Jaws (Leviathan Mastery), Electric Shackles (Mu Mastery), Soul Storm (Soul Mastery).

HASTEN: 3. Improves with Recharge, but you're never going to be shutting down AVs with this. But see Unique.

• Minimal: Accuracy/Mez from Special Origin or Damage/Mez from Special Origin
  • Offensive: Apocalypse, Gladiator's Javelin, Lockdown
  • Defensive: Lockdown (Energy, Negative, Fire, Cold, Ranged, AoE); Gladiator's Net (AoE, Fire, Cold), Entomb (Energy, Negative, Fire, Cold, Ranged, AoE); Apocalypse (Psionic); Devastation (Psionic); Gladiator's Javelin (HP, KB); Thunderstrike (Ranged, Energy, Negative); Winter's Bite (Ranged, AoE, Energy, Negative, Fire, Cold); Overwhelming Force (HP, Ranged, Energy, Negative, Knockback).
  • Recharge: Unbreakable Constraint (10%); Apocalypse (10%); Gladiator's Net (7.5%); Decimation (6.25%)
  • Unique: Mixing in the chance for damage procs from three different damage and hold sets along with Damage/Mez Special Origin Enhancements can make this a very high damage attack with diverse damage types that will still be respectable against robots; however, it will be a little inaccurate and will rely heavily on global recharge reduction, such as from Hasten, in order to become a regular part of an attack chain.

NAME: Psychic Shockwave (T2; 41)

TYPE: PBAoE, Moderate DMG(Psionic), Foe Disorient -Recharge

DESCRIPTION: Psychic Shockwave is a devastating Psionic attack that wracks the minds of all nearby foes. Affected foes may have a reduced attack rate and may be left Disoriented.

NOTES: I dislike the unreliability of the disorient, but the -50% recharge has a duration equal to the attack's natural cooldown and has a 100% chance to occur, so this is actually a good way to shut down foes while dealing decent damage. It has a wider than average radius for one of these, too, so it's not a pain to hit multiple targets. (Note general caveats about psi damage, though.)

SEE ALSO: Lightning Field (Electricity Mastery), Fire Sword Circle (Fire Mastery), Engulfing Darkness (Dark Mastery), The Lotus Drops (Ninja Tool Mastery), Frozen Aura (Ice Mastery), Arctic Breath (Leviathan Mastery), Static Discharge (Mu Mastery), Thunder Strike (Mu Mastery).

HASTEN: 2. Recharge isn't too bad to begin with and the duration of the important part is long enough.

• Minimal: Accuracy
  • Unique: None

NAME: Link Minds (T3; 44)

TYPE: PBAoE Team +To Hit, +Def (All), +RES (Psionic)

DESCRIPTION: Your Mind Link Power will enable you to link the minds of all your teammates who are near you for the next 90 seconds. This shared link improves your team's chance to hit foes, your defensive abilities, and dramatically reduces psionic damage.

NOTES: If you build for defense enough, you can get this to contribute about 6.5% defense to everyone, and it also comes with a (negligible) amount of to-hit and a decent amount of psi resist -- anyone who doesn't already have psi resist won't notice, but those who have at least 20 to 30% psi resist will really notice the upgrade. It's annoying but possible to perma this. Overall, it's a pretty good contribution to the team. I hate it solo, though. The nearly 4 second animation time drives me up the wall, and it doesn't really add any opportunities for a new set that most Sentinels can't already get.

SEE ALSO: Kemuridama (Ninja Tool Mastery), Snow Storm (Ice Mastery), Darkest Night (Soul Mastery) and Darkest Night (Dark Mastery) for other powerful AoE team support abilities.

HASTEN: 5. The more you can have this up, the better.

• Minimal: You want three Special Origin Recharge/Defense/To-Hit Buffs. That's really the only way to make the most out of this power without burning an excessive amount of slots.
  • Unique: I know this is an Energy Blast guide, but if you're playing a primary without Aim and reading this anyway, put Gaussian's Chance of Build-Up in here.

VIIb. Patron Power Pools

I'm repeating this as a reminder in case you skipped over it in the beginning of Section VII.

For Sentinels, Patron Powers consist of one AoE control option and one melee attack at T1; one melee or single-target control option and one unique effect at T2; and a pet that can be made permanent with a lot of effort at T3.

LEVIATHAN (speculative)

I will be straight with you. I don't know why anyone would take Leviathan Mastery unless they just love sharks. Like. I'm talking this person grew up and they saw the Ninja Turtles and they said, "Turtles? That's nonsense. Street Sharks. That's where it's at. That stuff's flippin' JAWESOME."

You probably think I am making fun of you, Shark Man. I promise you that I am not. I took Energy Blast, a powerset all about randomly throwing enemies in haphazard directions, simply because it was pretty.

I do not have a leg to stand on to criticize you, Shark Man.

Especially because you ate it.

I do not like you, Shark Man.

NAME: School of Sharks (T1; 35)

TYPE: Ranged (Cone), Moderate DoT(Negative), Foe Immobilize

DESCRIPTION: You can call forth a school of vicious Shark Spirits that will swim out in a cone formation and will encircle your foes, draining their spirit energy. The encircling Shark Spirits will immobilize most foes while they deal negative energy damage over time. Both you and the target must be Near the Ground for this power to activate.

NOTES: I will be honest with you, Shark Man. I think it is Very Odd that your sharks must be Near the Ground when the Street Sharks had flying Sharkmobilecyclejetskis. Also, your sharks are not good at keeping enemies stuck in place when we use Knockback. Despite this, the sharks do not really do any good damage for the long time it takes to summon them, do not really have any special effects beyond eating my pizza, and the AoE is not conveniently shaped.

SEE ALSO: Street Sharks, The. (1994)

HASTEN: 3. We could call more sharks faster, Shark Man. And it is a long recharge. But I am not sure why we would.

• Minimal: Accuracy/Mez from Special Origin, or Range to increase the area.
  • Offensive: These sharks will not respond well to putting laser beams on their head, Shark Man.
  • Defensive: Enfeebled Operation (Smashing, Lethal, Melee); Trap of the Hunter (Ranged, Energy, Negative)
  • Recharge: Gravitational Anchor (10%); Enfeebled Operation (3.75%)
  • Unique: Annihilation: Chance for Res Debuff makes your immobilize a strong opener for all other AoEs. Gravitational Anchor's Chance for Hold will have a decent chance of activating since the recharge is so slow. For these feeble, grandpa sharks. doo doo doo doo doo doo.

NAME: Knockout Blow (T1; 35)

TYPE: Melee, Extreme DMG (Smash), Foe Hold

DESCRIPTION: You can channel the massive Strength of the Leviathan into a Knockout Blow. This punch does Superior damage, and has a great chance of Holding your target.

NOTES: High damage but long cooldown, and also a long animation time combined with an attack having lots of IO categories; Knockout Blow is a strong choice for frankenslotting. The Hold has 100% chance to occur. See how much better things are when we're not just stuffing sharks into places which man was not meant to stuff shark?

SEE ALSO: Cremate (Fire Mastery), Havoc Punch (Electricity Mastery), Mind Probe (Psionic Mastery), Ice Sword (Ice Mastery), Sting of the Wasp (Ninja Tool Mastery), Pulverize (Mace Mastery), Smite (Dark Mastery), Midnight Grasp (Soul Mastery).

HASTEN: 5. You need to bring this recharge down as low as possible since it's a huge damage increase.

• Offensive: Five-slot Hecatomb, Mako's Bite if you can't afford it.
  • Unique: Force Feedback: Chance for Recharge is a strong winner here. Other choices include Unbreakable Constraint (Chance for Smashing Damage); Lockdown (+2 Mag Hold); Explosive Strike (Chance for Smashing Damage). Alternatively, three-slot Damage/Mez and frankenslot Accuracy and Recharge however you can in the remainder.

NAME: Arctic Breath (T2; 41)

TYPE: Ranged (Cone), Minor DoT(Cold), Foe -Speed, -Recharge, -DEF, knock down

DESCRIPTION: Sharks will eat anything, so their stomach acid must be powerful indeed. You can regurgitate this freezing acid and spew a corrosive spray of bile at a foe. Affected foes in the cone area will take cold damage over time, and have their Defense, movement rate, and recharge rate reduced. This ice will stick to foes, causing them to fall down occasionally.

NOTES: Okay Shark Man, let us see if I got this straight on that rollercoaster ride of a description.

1) Sharks will eat anything (OK)

2) You can vomit their stomach acid (I guess)

3) The acid is freezing for some reason????

4) Also sometimes they just fall because okay yes

Shark Man I think you have a problem.

That aside, this is a pretty reasonably strong debuff on the area, especially the -40% recharge. The only problems are that: the recharge is three times longer than the duration, so you will need to have perma-hasten territory in order to reliably have this penalty on; and the cone is still fairly narrow, so it's hard to use this ability to the fullest against a group. The knockdown is a very low chance, nothing to write home about.

SEE ALSO: Breath Mints

HASTEN: 5. The duration of the debuff is much shorter than the native recharge.

• Minimal: Recharge
  • Defensive: Pacing of the Turtle (Ranged, Energy, Negative); Force Feedback (AoE, Fire, Cold); Overwhelming Force (HP, Ranged, Energy, Negative, Knockback); Frozen Blast (AoE, Fire, Cold).
  • Recharge: Ragnarok (10%); Sudden Acceleration (7.5%); Positron's Blast (6.25%)
  • Unique: Between the narrowness of the cone and the long recharge, this is a great candidate for Force Feedback: Chance to Recharge.

NAME: Spirit Shark Jaws (T2; 41)

TYPE: Ranged, Moderate DoT(Lethal), Foe Hold, -Fly

DESCRIPTION: You can summon a massive Spirit Shark that will attack your foe from below. The Shark will grip your foe with itsm assive jaws and attempt to hold the target while it mauls it, dealing lethal Damage over Time. Flying Targets will likely be pulled to the ground.

NOTES: It's a hold with anti-fly. The damage is unremarkable and that's the biggest disappointment, really. A massive Shark should hurt a lot more and so far these powers just don't seem like they're worth talking about.

SEE ALSO: Char (Fire Mastery), Paralyzing Jolt (Electricity Mastery), Dominate (Psionic Mastery), Block of Ice (Ice Mastery), Paralyzing Dart (Ninja Tool Mastery), Web Cocoon (Mace Mastery), Netherworld Grasp (Dark Mastery), Electric Shackles (Mu Mastery), Soul Storm (Soul Mastery).

HASTEN: 4; it's a long recharge for a hold.

• Defensive: Lockdown (Energy, Negative, Fire, Cold, Ranged, AoE); Gladiator's Net (AoE, Fire, Cold), Entomb (Energy, Negative, Fire, Cold, Ranged, AoE); Siphon Insight (Smashing, Lethal, Fire, Cold, Melee, AoE)
  • Recharge: Unbreakable Constraint (10%); Gladiator's Net (7.5%); Dampened Spirits (5%), Dark Watcher's Despair (5%)

NAME: Summon Coralax (T3; 44)

TYPE: Summon Hybrid: Ranged Moderate DMG(Lethal)

DESCRIPTION: Captain Mako has shown you how to summon a Coralax Blue Hybrid to do your bidding. The Coralax are humans who have been infected with living coral. Your access to this Hybrid is very limited. You can only summon it once every 15 minutes and it will leave after 4 minutes, or if you exit a zone or mission.

NOTES: I haven't used these myself, but I do have lore pets, and one of the things that strikes me most about the lore pets is how easily they take damage that I can't fix. It's unfortunate that the epic pools with healing powers do not get pets.

SEE ALSO: There's one of these in every patron pool.

HASTEN: 5. If you have a pet you want them out as much as possible.

• Honestly, your guess is as good as mine. I do have some experience with Masterminds, but not enough to give any real insight here.

MACE (speculative)

I still think it's funny that there's an entire epic pool devoted to... the mace. Who made that decision anyway? Mace Mastery on the Sentinel is a single target specialist; Pulverize is a pretty decent attack, and Web Cocoon is great for debuffing single hard targets.

NAME: Web Envelope (T1; 35)

TYPE: Ranged (Targeted AoE) Immobilize, -Recharge, -Fly, -Jump

DESCRIPTION: The Nullifier Mace can lob a modified Web Grenade. Upon impact, the Web Grenade expels a strong, tenuous, and very sticky substance that can immobilize most targets in a wide area. This non-lethal device deals no damage and does not prevent targets from attacking, although their attack rate is slowed. The Web can bring down flying entities and halts jumping.

NOTES: It's a little more accurate than most attacks and much more accurate than most immobilizes, but it doesn't protect against KBs. However, it does enforce a modest -20% recharge slow. It has a long range like Electric Fences, but a small radius. It's okay for team support but I'm not a big fan.

SEE ALSO: Almost any other pool's immobilize.

HASTEN: 2. You don't need immobilize that much if it doesn't stop KB, and the duration and recharge are pretty close by default.

• Minimal: Accuracy/Mez from Special Origin.
  • Defensive: Enfeebled Operation (Smashing, Lethal, Melee); Trap of the Hunter (Ranged, Energy, Negative)
  • Recharge: Gravitational Anchor (10%); Enfeebled Operation (3.75%)
  • Unique: Gravitational Anchor's Chance for Hold will have a decent chance of activating since the radius is so small.

NAME: Pulverize (T1; 35)

TYPE: Melee, High DMG (Smash), Minor DoT (Toxic), Foe Disorient

DESCRIPTION: You are capable of Pulverizing a foe with your Nullifier Mace dealing damage, causing toxic damage over time. Pulverize will occasionally disorient foes as well. NOTE: This power will deal critical damage if used after a successful Placate or while the user is hidden with the Bane Spider Cloaking Device.

NOTES: Damage is comparable to Cremate but with double the recharge time. So with a lot of recharge investment, this can be a good damage increase, and unlike Cremate, it does not burn your Endurance.

SEE ALSO: Cremate (Fire Mastery), Havoc Punch (Electricity Mastery), Mind Probe (Psionic Mastery), Ice Sword (Ice Mastery), Sting of the Wasp (Ninja Tool Mastery), Knockout Blow (Leviathan Mastery), Smite (Dark Mastery), Midnight Grasp (Soul Mastery).

HASTEN: 5. You need to bring this recharge down as low as possible since it's a huge DPS increase.

• Defensive: Kinetic Combat (Smashing, Lethal, Melee); Mako's Bite (Ranged, Energy, Negative); Blistering Cold (Smashing, Lethal, Fire, Cold, Melee, AoE); Overwhelming Force (HP, Ranged, Energy, Negative, Knockback); Rope a Dope (Psionic); Razzle Dazzle (Smashing, Lethal, Fire, Cold, Melee, AoE)
  • Recharge: Absolute Amazement (10%); Hecatomb (10%); Stupefy (6.25%); Crushing Impact (5%)
  • Unique: A good candidate for Absolute Amazement: Chance for To-Hit Debuff

NAME: Focused Accuracy (T2; 41)

TYPE: Toggle: Self +To Hit, +ACC, +Perception, Res(DeBuff To Hit)

DESCRIPTION: When this power is activated, the Villain focuses their senses to dramatically improve their accuracy. Additionally, Focused Accuracy increase your Perception, allowing you to better see stealthy foes. It also grants you resistance to powers that DeBuff your Accuracy. Focused Accuracy is a toggle power and must be activated and deactivated manually. Like all toggle powers, while active, Focused Accuracy drains endurance while active.

NOTES: Never toggle this on unless you're fighting Arachnos. This thing just eats endurance.

SEE ALSO: Leadership Pool (Tactics), Psionic Mastery (Link Minds)

HASTEN: 1. Toggle power with a 10s base recharge.

• Minimal: Endurance IOs boosted to +5
  • Unique: Three Endurance/To Hit/Defense Buff Special Origins.

NAME: Web Cocoon (T2; 41)

TYPE: Ranged, Foe Hold, -Recharge, -Fly, -Jump, Slow

DESCRIPTION: The Bane Mace can fire a more powerful version the common web grenade. The sinewy fibers of this grenade are strong enough to completely Hold one target. Targets able to resist the Hold are still likely to have their attack and movement speed dramaically slower. Web Cocoon can also bring down flying targets and prevent foes from jumping.

NOTES: It's a hold with a heavy amount of -recharge -- -50%. It's a strong power if you need a hold.

SEE ALSO: Char (Fire Mastery), Paralyzing Jolt (Electricity Mastery), Dominate (Psionic Mastery), Block of Ice (Ice Mastery), Paralyzing Dart (Ninja Tool Mastery), Spirit Shark Jaws (Leviathan Mastery), Netherworld Grasp (Dark Mastery), Electric Shackles (Mu Mastery), Soul Storm (Soul Mastery).

HASTEN: 4; it's a long recharge for a hold.

• Recharge: Unbreakable Constraint (10%); Gladiator's Net (7.5%); Dampened Spirits (5%)
  • Unique: Lockdown as usual, Pacing of the Turtle makes this an even stronger AV debuffer.

NAME: Summon Tarantula (T3; 44)

TYPE: Summon Tarantula: Ranged Moderate DMG(Toxic)

DESCRIPTION: Black Scorpion has granted you an Toxic Tarantula for you to command. Weaver One developed the Tarantula Exoskeleton Armor, which so radically transforms an Arachnos troop that hardly anything human is recognizable. Your access to this Tarantula is very limited. You can only summon it once every 15 minutes and it will leave after 4 minutes, or if you exit a zone or mission.

NOTES: I haven't used these myself, but I do have lore pets, and one of the things that strikes me most about the lore pets is how easily they take damage that I can't fix. It's unfortunate that the epic pools with healing powers do not get pets.

• Honestly, your guess is as good as mine. I do have some experience with Masterminds, but not enough to give any real insight here.
Edited by Sunsette

MU (speculative)

Mu Mastery is the flipside of Electric or Fire Mastery; its entry level moves give good support in AoE damage to Sentinels, but there's virtually nothing to improve single target damage. I plan to pick this up in a build at a later date to seriously explore it.

NAME: Electrifying Fences (T1; 35)

TYPE: Ranged (Targeted AoE), Minor DoT(Energy), Foe Immobilize, -END

DESCRIPTION: The Electrifying Fences attempts to immobilize a group of foes in an area. This power deals some energy damage over time as it slowly drains some Endurance.

NOTES: The range and radius perfectly matches Explosive Blast and works well with Energy Torrent. The damage is reasonably high -- higher than Explosive Blast, in fact. This is a great 'single pick' for a ranged Energy Blast Sentinel.

SEE ALSO: Almost any other pool's immobilize.

HASTEN: 4. Duration and recharge are pretty close but the small radius means that you want it to be up a lot so you can shift targets comfortably.

• Minimal: Accuracy/Mez from Special Origin.
  • Defensive: Enfeebled Operation (Smashing, Lethal, Melee); Trap of the Hunter (Ranged, Energy, Negative); Overwhelming Force (HP, Ranged, Energy, Negative, Knockback); Frozen Blast (AoE, Fire, Cold).
  • Recharge: Ragnarok (10%); Gravitational Anchor (10%); Positron's Blast (6.25%); Enfeebled Operation (3.75%)
  • Unique: Damage procs will have a decent chance of activating since the radius is so small and the recharge is not especially quick.

NAME: Thunder Strike (T1; 35)

TYPE: Melee (AoE), High DMG (Smash, Energy), Foe Disorient, Knockback

DESCRIPTION: A massive attack. You smash your foes with all the power of a lightning bolt. The pummeled victim takes tremendous damage and may be Disoriented. Any nearby foes may be knocked down and take some damage from the shockwave.

NOTES: Providing a wide variety of side effects, you have a lot of things you can possibly slot here. The radius is very small but the damage is fairly effective and while Thunder Strike does not reduce endurance much on its own, it does block recovery for several seconds.

SEE ALSO: Fire Sword Circle (Fire Mastery), Lightning Field (Electricity Mastery), Frozen Aura (Ice Mastery), Engulfing Darkness (Dark Mastery), Psychic Shockwave (Psionic Mastery), The Lotus Drops (Ninja Tool Mastery), Arctic Breath (Leviathan Mastery), Static Discharge (Mu Mastery).

HASTEN: 4. You need to bring this recharge down as low as possible for more AoE damage and control.

• Unique: This can knockdown, so you know what that means: Force Feedback: Chance to Recharge! It has a good chance to proc given the small size of the AoE.

NAME: Electric Shackles (T2; 41)

TYPE: Ranged, Minor DMG(Energy), Foe Hold, -End

DESCRIPTION: Electric Shackles bind a foes limbs, leaving the target held and helpless. The target is drained of some Endurance and some of that Endurance may be transferred back to you.

NOTES: It's certainly a different hold. The amount of Endurance drained is not very high, and the hold duration is pretty short on its own. It's hard for me to pass judgment on it without actually trying it since it seems like it could almost work... but I don't think I'd get that much use out of it.

SEE ALSO: Paralyzing Jolt (Electricity Mastery), Netherworld Grasp (Dark Mastery), Dominate (Psionic Mastery), Block of Ice (Ice Mastery), Paralyzing Dart (Ninja Tool Mastery), Web Cocoon (Mace Mastery), Spirit Shark Jaws (Leviathan Mastery), Char (Fire Mastery), Soul Storm (Soul Mastery).

• Unique: The slow recharge makes Lockdown a clear winner, since its +2 Mag Hold will always proc; this is strong enough to have it always hold bosses for 8 seconds (not including their mez resistance, if any). This is a big deal when dealing with annoying groups like Arachnos.

NAME: Static Discharge (T2; 41)

TYPE: Ranged (Cone), Moderate DMG(Energy), -END

DESCRIPTION: Hurls multiple bolts of Mu Electricity in an arc that deals damage and drains Endurance from all affected foes in the area.

NOTES: Yes mediocre damage, decent cone, standard amount of endurance drain. There's nothing to make this stand out in Mid's Reborn except that it's listed as having a Mag 4 Taunt. I'm going to have to investigate that in-game to see if that's true. I note Mid's Reborn does not list it as being compatible with Taunt sets, so take it with a grain of salt. Anyway, if the Taunt's not real, it's more mediocre damage to give you a full AoE attack chain with soft control. And just as Electrifying Fences perfectly matches Explosive Blast, Static DIscharge perfectly matches Energy Torrent. If the taunt is real, Tankinel is a real thing suddenly.

SEE ALSO: Electrifying Fences.

HASTEN: 3; it's easy to get this thing's recharge down and if you're this deep, at this point you have like four AoE attack powers.

• Defensive: Overwhelming Force (HP, Ranged, Energy, Negative, Knockback); Frozen Blast (AoE, Fire, Cold).
  • Recharge: Ragnarok (10%); Positron's Blast (6.25%).
  • Unique: Nothing notable here.

NAME: Summon Adept (T3; 44)

TYPE: Summon Adept: Ranged Moderate DMG(Energy)

DESCRIPTION: Scirocco has shown you how to call upon a mystical Mu Adept to assist you. The Mu pulse with the blood of their slaughtered ancestors in their veins, and are well practiced in the dark arts. Your access to this Adept is very limited. You can only summon him once every 15 minutes and he will leave after 4 minutes, or if you exit a zone or mission.

SOUL (speculative)

Soul Mastery is Dark Mastery with a little less -to-hit and different target/damage priorities, and a pet that can possibly be made permanent.

NAME: Midnight Grasp (T1; 35)

TYPE: Melee, Superior DMG(Negative), Foe Immobilize, -To Hit

DESCRIPTION: Mastery over the forces of the Netherworld allows you to create dark tentacles that can immobilize a foe, reduce their chance to hit and continuously drain their life force.

NOTES: Long recharge, great but not amazing damage, long cast time, no KB protection; this is not a very synergistic choice with Energy Blast and I'd recommend skipping this power except that only two attacks in this pool give -To Hit, and -To Hit is more powerful the more of it that there is.

SEE ALSO: Cremate (Fire Mastery), Havoc Punch (Electricity Mastery), Mind Probe (Psionic Mastery), Ice Sword (Ice Mastery), Sting of the Wasp (Ninja Tool Mastery), Pulverize (Mace Mastery), Knockout Blow (Leviathan Mastery), Smite (Dark Mastery).

HASTEN: 5. Duration is 3/5 of recharge initially, and you want -to hit on as many targets as possible.

• Minimal: Don't get this power to be minimal.
  • Defensive: Enfeebled Operation (Smashing, Lethal, Melee); Trap of the Hunter (Ranged, Energy, Negative); Overwhelming Force (HP, Ranged, Energy, Negative, Knockback); Frozen Blast (AoE, Fire, Cold).
  • Recharge: Ragnarok (10%); Gravitational Anchor (10%); Positron's Blast (6.25%); Enfeebled Operation (3.75%)
  • Unique: Damage procs will have a decent chance of activating since the the recharge is slow.

NAME: Soul Tentacles (T1; 35)

TYPE: Ranged (Cone), Moderate DMG(Negative), Foe Immobilize

DESCRIPTION: You can create a cone shaped rift to the Netherworld that allows the souls of the damned to slip into our reality. These Soul Tentacles will snare all foes within range, immobilizing them while they drain their life.

NOTES: This is the narrowest cone in the entire set and I hate it. It's the highest damaging cone so far as well, on par with Explosive Blast, but Explosive Blast is the lowest damaging of the three AoEs from the primary set and one of the main reasons we use it is because it is very positioning flexible. Soul Tentacles neither imposes anti-fly nor stops knockback. It's just an awkward pain to use for some very mediocre damage.

SEE ALSO: Netherworld Tentacles, which is actually good.

HASTEN: 2. There's no compelling reason for an Energy Blast Sentinel to use this power, or use it more, save more damage in an area which it doesn't do that well.

• Defensive: Overwhelming Force (HP, Ranged, Energy, Negative, Knockback); Frozen Blast (AoE, Fire, Cold).
  • Recharge: Ragnarok (10%); Positron's Blast (6.25%).
  • Unique: Narrow size of the cone means there will be an OK chance for damage procs to activate.

NAME: Darkest Night (T2; 41)

TYPE: Toggle: Ranged (Targeted AoE), Foe -DMG -To Hit

While active, you channel Negative Energy onto a targeted foe. Darkest Night decreaes the damage potential and chance to hit of the target, and all foes nearby, as long as you keep the power active.

NOTES: This is the main reason to go Soul Mastery -- to get Darkest Night in only two powers rather than spending three to reach it. This is a REALLY pricey toggle, but it's worth it. Both the damage debuff and To-Hit penalty can be mitigated somewhat, but with a whopping 25 foot radius, it will definitely reduce the hurt your team receives from any source.

SEE ALSO: Link Minds (Psionic Mastery), Darkest Night (Dark Mastery) and Snow Storm (Ice Mastery) for other powerful AoE team support abilities, or Kemuridama (Ninja Tool Mastery) for another -to hit, -dmg effect.

HASTEN: 1. This version has low recharge to begin with. Thank goodness, given the Endurance cost.

• Minimal: Endurance/-ToHit Debuffs from Special Origin, two or three of them
  • Offensive: Dark Watcher's Despair is the only real option.
  • Defensive: Discouraging Words (Smashing, Lethal, Melee). Probably not a good option.
  • Recharge: Dark Watcher's Despair (5%), Dampened Spirits (5%)
  • Unique: Dark Watcher's Despair: Chance for Recharge Slow will not occur much, so don't feel bad about not having room to slot it. This probably doesn't need five or six slots. But if you have slots left over, go for it.

NAME: Soul Storm (T2; 41)

TYPE: Ranged, Moderate DoT(Negative), Foe Hold

DESCRIPTION: Like Ghost Widow, you can summon the souls of your victims to do your bidding. Soul Storm enraptures a single target Holding them while their life-force is drained from their body.

NOTES: It's a hold. It's a good hold. I'm just not sure how much you really need a hold, especially one as low damage as this.

SEE ALSO: Char (Fire Mastery), Paralyzing Jolt (Electricity Mastery), Netherworld Grasp (Dark Mastery), Dominate (Psionic Mastery), Block of Ice (Ice Mastery), Paralyzing Dart (Ninja Tool Mastery), Web Cocoon (Mace Mastery), Spirit Shark Jaws (Leviathan Mastery), Electric Shackles (Mu Mastery).

• Unique: The slow recharge makes Lockdown a clear winner, since its +2 Mag Hold will always proc; this is strong enough to have it always hold bosses for 8 seconds (not including their mez resistance, if any). This is a big deal when dealing with annoying groups like Arachnos.

NAME: Summon Mistress (T3; 44)

TYPE: Summon Mistress: Ranged Moderate DMG(Psionic)

DESCRIPTION: Ghost Widow has assigned a Fortunata Mistress for you to command. Arguable, the most powerful of the Fortunatas, these rare few have mastered numerous psychic abilities and risen to the top of Lord Recluse's beautiful Black Widows. Your access to this Fortunata is very limited. You can only summon her once every 15 minutes and she will leave after 4 minutes, or if you exit a zone or mission.

Edited by Sunsette

VIII. Incarnate Slots

I will not try to explain the entire incarnate system here, but I can explain what abilities you may want to use for which slots! I will only explain the Tier 4s for each ability, as it is pretty straightforward to tell which lesser abilities to get on the way to that Tier 4.

VIIIa. Alpha

All alpha slots grant a global enhancement bonus to all enhanceable powers. They can even affect powers that do not normally accept that kind of enhancement as long as it is a power that can be enhanced and doesn't have a specific immunity to being raised (such as a power that says it cannot have its recharge improved by any means). At Tier 4, two-thirds of the Alpha Slot's effect bypasses Enhancement Diversification softcaps.

Possibly relevant alpha slots for an Energy Blast sentinel include:

- Cardiac Core Paragon (Reduces Endurance cost by 45%, Increases Range and Damage Resistance by 20%)

- Agility Radial Paragon (Increases Endurance Modification, Recharge Rate, Move Speeds by 33%, Defense Buffs by 20%)

- Musculature Core Paragon (Increases Damage by 45%, Immobilization Duration and Defense Debuff effects by 33%)

- Intuition Radial Paragon (Increases Hold Duration, Damage, Slow Movement effects, and Defense Debuffs by 33%, To Hit Debuff effects and Range by 20%)

- Resilient Core Paragon (Increases Damage Resistance and Immobilize by 33%, and To Hit Buffs by 20%)

Resistance secondaries will like Cardiac and Resilient; Defense secondaries and anyone who needs Recharge will like Agility. Range is not what I would consider a strong priority as we already get +20% range from Superior Archetype IOs, but I understand that it's a powerful piece of quality of life, so I listed it up here.

The most common question I see on the Alpha slot is "between Agility and Musculature, which is more useful?"

Agility obviously does not contribute directly to damage, but it does contribute indirectly in two ways: it makes it possible to abbreviate attack chains (making a three-part attack chain instead of a four-part can be a big damage increase) and it makes it easier to get into position to maximize the effects of cones, PBAoEs, and all those melee attacks in the epic pools -- that's a really big deal for Hover users. When you also consider the frequent area hazards in Incarnate Trials, I think Agility is a better choice in some cases. Agility is also necessary for many powersets to make their softcaps on defense for soloing hard content. However, be warned that Agility reduces the chance for all procs to occur, as it gives powers enhancement recharge.

Musculature translates to about a 12% increase in damage for a fully-slotted Sentinel on their own, before adding in any other incarnate powers. This relative value drops the more team buffs and enemy debuffs you can count on, but unless you hit the Sentinel's global damage cap (which is hard to do consistently) it never goes away. Thus, I would personally recommend Musculature Core (or Intuition Radial, if you have significant benefits from Hold, To-Hit Debuffs, or Defense Debuffs) if you make your Defense goals and you're looking for more damage.

In brief, Musculature will always be a good choice for Sentinel and usually the best choice flat-out. Agility can be a reasonable choice depending on how important survivability, recharge, and making melee attacks is for you.

VIIIb. Judgment

Judgments are mostly about the same, but three stand out:

- Ionic Core can hit the most targets (with a chance of hitting about 1 in 5 very hard) spread out over the widest area. It's popular with farmers.

- Pyronic Core casts ultra-fast, is a damage type without a lot of resistance at high levels, and has a hard hitting DoT effect. I like it for Incarnate Trials.

- Mighty Radial has a strong soft crowd control effect. It's good for tanks.

VIIIc. Interface

Again, about three choices here:

- Diamagnetic (Core or Radial) increases your survival and reduces the regeneration that's such a huge problem for Sentinels in dealing with an Archvillain. However, it's relatively weak regen reduction.

- Degenerative Radial reduces a target's maximum HP (and thus their regeneration) by up to -14% and adds a decent amount of toxic damage as a DoT. However, with Archvillains, Degenerative is reduced to only removing 4000 HP -- and Archvillains have -lots- of HP. Thus, it's best for Elite Bosses and Bosses.

- Reactive Radial reduces a target's resistance by up to 10% and adds a decent amount of fire damage as a DoT.

VIIId. Destiny

- Ageless Core is basically a permanent solution to all Endurance problems you have forever.

- Ageless Radial does not solve Endurance problems as hard, but gives a signfiicant amount of resistance to debuffs, which is very useful for Defense-based characters facing debuffing enemy groups like the Talons or Knives of Vengeance and the Arachnos. Remember that debuff resistance doesn't affect debuffs retroactively, so pop it right before or at the start of a pull that's giving trouble for best results.

- Barrier just straight-up adds Defense and Resistance. If you are 5% or less below softcap on defense and endurance isn't an issue, Barrier is probably your best choice.

- Clarion Core adds Mez protection; for the most part, Sentinel secondaries already offer this.

- Clarion Radial adds a bit less Mez protection, and buffs a whole lot of things briefly. It's great to activate right before a click buff you're going to use.

- Incandescence can provide group teleports every two minutes, which is strong utility.

- Rebirth is for healing and doesn't offer Sentinels a lot.

VIIIe. Lore

- While the Cimeroran pet appears to have been nerfed according to private testing on the Homecoming server, virtually all pets are within 10% of the median DPS now. (Previously the Cimeroran was doing something like 90% more than the median.)

- For Core pets, Longbow is one of the strongest choices, as their Cataphracts inflict a significant amount of -regeneration. Core pets are more useful in Incarnate Trials and Task Forces, as they benefit from group buffs and healing.

- For Radial pets, Carnies and Talons of Vengeance grant really powerful buffs to damage and healing. These are useful soloing and in disorganized groups.

VIIIf. Hybrid

Assault Radial if you want to do damage. Core .... I don't know who would ever want to take Core. Doublehit seems to be slightly less damage solo if you never use red inspirations and much more damage in groups that give a lot of damage buffs.

I've considered screwing around with Control Core Embodiment given the amount of immobilizes and holds that Sentinels have access to.

IX. Example Builds

Energy/Energy/Fire Sentinel (Sunsette)

High Durability Energy/Energy/Psi Sentinel (General Marshal)

If you wish to add your build to this repository, please drop a DataLink or a URL where your build is hosted!

X. A Note on Endurance

A fully kitted out Sentinel often is bleeding endurance from the number of toggles that we run and the high expense cost of our epic pools. Some powersets include Endurance management abilities that high recharge is extremely beneficial for, but it requires maintaining that power as often as possible, which might take some getting used to. Defensive Opportunity is a big deal as well, and of course Ageless Destiny fixes most endurance problems.

Some common IOs placed in Health and Stamina powers can greatly improve your endurance recovery; in rough order of importance (strongest to least strong), these IOs are:

1. Panacea: +HP/+End (Health)

2. Performance Shifter: Chance for +Endurance (Stamina)

3. Miracle: Recovery (Health)

4. Endurance Modification, Generic (Stamina) x2

5. Numina's Convalescence: Recovery and Regeneration (Health)

The above is only true at level 50 and with +5 boosts to the Generics. In any other condition, Numina's is superior to the generic.

Almost everything that refills your endurance -- like the above IOs -- does so on the basis of the size of your Endurance Bar, while all costs are based on raw Endurance Points. So if you can increase the size of your endurance bar, it's basically the same as a cost reduction on everything. Some IO set bonuses increase the size of your Endurance Bar, while others in fact do offer a cost reduction to everything. Both are worth looking into.

But all of these are build choices -- decisions you have to make. There are a few badges that can straight-up improve your Endurance altogether. Which badges you want depend on your alignment, and you cannot get the endurance benefit from badges gained from the opposite alignment.

[*]Heroes and Vigilantes should seek out the Atlas Medallion and Portal Jockey.

[*]Rogues and Villains instead want the Marshal Badge and Born in Battle

XI. Force Feedback

One of the most interesting and unusual IO options is Force Feedback: Chance for Recharge, which looks dramatic and often is at low to mid-levels, but is often disappointing at high ones. It's so complicated that it deserves its own space. First, let me dispel some of the popular claims about it.

CLAIM: It's good to put on all your attacks.

Force Feedback: Chance for Recharge is a 2 PPM proc, which means that for single target abilities, its chance to activate is best on attacks that have an activation time + enhanced recharge time of 27 seconds or more. That is the activation time and recharge time displayed when you right-click the power's icon and look at its "detailed info". This ignores the effect of global recharge from IOs, Hasten, or outside player buffs or enemy attacks. (It's 27 seconds rather than 30 since the chance to activate is capped somewhere around the 90% range.) This makes it a very low chance to activate on most of your attacks. The area formula is a bit more complicated, but because there are multiple chances to activate per target, it's usually stronger on area attacks.

CLAIM: It stacks when it activates multiple times off of a single area attack.

I don't know the answer to this for sure, but I am suspicious of this claim; Nova has a very high chance to activate this per target and I don't recall ever seeing the effects last more than about 5 seconds, but I wasn't testing this specifically. Needs more data.

Now, how much is Force Feedback actually worth to you? It depends heavily on how much recharge you already have. The formula to figure out how much time this proc actually saves you on an attack can be calculated like so:

5/(1+Enhancement Recharge+Global Recharge w/o Force Feedback)

If your attack is enhanced to have 95% Enhancement Recharge and you have 105% global recharge, the formula looks like:

5(1+0.95+1.05), or 5/3.

Each activation of Force Feedback thus saves you 1.667 seconds, approximately, assuming that there are more than 5 seconds left on the recharge when the proc activates. The value goes down significantly if there are less than 5 seconds left. This means that Force Feedback is effectively worthless on most of your single target rotation, exceptions made for a frankenslotted Focused Power Bolt or some frankenslotted epic pool attacks. Force Feedback's value rises the more very long cooldowns you have -- cooldowns measured in the minutes, not seconds. It also rises the less global recharge you have.

With aggressive slotting of Force Feedback, you can build more cheaply, build for more defense, or skip Hasten, basically. Force Feedback is a great boon at the mid-levels. If Force Feedback is part of your strategy for an Energy Blast Sentinel, you may see the best results on a secondary powerset like Radiation, which grants a large amount of bonus damage and has important long cooldowns but doesn't offer defense powers that can slot Luck of the Gambler and may feel too squeezed for power choices to take Hasten.

In summary, Force Feedback is actually a pretty strong choice but it is selectively useful.

XII. Changelog

Version 3 (20190723)

- Added Section XI. Force Feedback

- Renumbered Changelog to XII.

Version 2 (20190713)

- Some spelling and grammatical errors fixed

- Added a chart previewing defensive stats of secondary powersets

- Clarified crashing/non-crashing T9s

- Added more information on Defensive Opportunity

- No longer suggesting three attacks, but instead three attack cores with one to three aux. attacks

- Split Power Burst and Focused Power Bolt up.

- Re-evaluated every attack power based on PPM update.

- Re-evaluated Super Speed

- Re-evaluated Agility Alpha Slot based on PPM update.

- Updated linked build

- Added Sections X and XI, A Note on Endurance and Changelog

Version 1 (20190703)

- Initial Post

Edited by Sunsette

Excellent read, Sunsette!  Thank you.

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

Thanks for the kind words, all!

I'll try to put something together for you soon but I have to tend to my students' graduation ceremonies today, so I'm unlikely to get to it before tomorrow, I'm afraid.

Stay tuned for a later reorganization of the thread that more directly discusses endurance management, as that is an issue with Sentinels I forgot to address and two have asked me about it.

I saw your change to Combat Jumping, and I think that encapsulates the situation very well.

One more note, in your section about secondaries:

The following secondaries have T9s with a crash...

Add Electric Armor to that list (unless the Sentinel version doesn't do it?  I don't know I've only gotten Ann Ionic up to 31, so I don't have Power Surge yet).  At least on other ATs, its T9, Power Surge, has a HP and End crash, but when it crashes, it releases a nice wide Electromagnetic Pulse, to help you survive the crash.  On my Brute, what I do with that is slot it as a Hold (like, I'll go a full set of Lockdown, for instance) instead of as a Resist set.

Thanks again this is a great job!

Good Lord! That was exactly what I was looking for. Just hit 35 and now have access to Epic/Ancillary Pools. None of them really appealed to my DP/WP Sentinel. I was curious about what the Patron Pools had to offer, since I was already a Vigilante and could take a dip to villainy for the sake of the pool powers. Thank you for the awesomely in-depth analysis. You're Jawesome!

Fantastic work! Im curious what would you suggest for a Energy/Radiation in terms of a build? trying to help out the girlfriend with her first character and Im not very versed if at all on building a sentinel.

Hopefully this is helpful. This is an all-range build at 50 (she'll need more attacks than this leveling on the way up, probably focused power blast. I did not take the time to go through and inspect how these powers might exemplar b/c tbh that takes trial and error. So please do not look at this as gospel, and feel free to experiment.

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.962

http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Technology Sentinel

Primary Power Set: Energy Blast

Secondary Power Set: Radiation Armor

Power Pool: Flight

Power Pool: Speed

Power Pool: Leadership

Power Pool: Fighting

Ancillary Pool: Fire Mastery

Hero Profile:

Level 1: Power Bolt -- SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprOppStr-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprOppStr-Rchg/+Opportunity(7)

Level 1: Alpha Barrier -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(7), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(9), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(9)

Level 2: Power Blast -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(11), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(11), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(13), SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(15)

Level 4: Gamma Boost -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(15), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(17)

Level 6: Proton Armor -- RctArm-ResDam(A), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(19), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(19), RctArm-EndRdx/Rchg(21), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(39), GldArm-3defTpProc(40)

Level 8: Aim -- GssSynFr--Build%(A), RechRdx-I(17), RechRdx-I(21)

Level 10: Fallout Shelter -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), RctArm-ResDam(23), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(23), RctArm-EndRdx/Rchg(43)

Level 12: Power Push -- Apc-Dmg/Rchg(A), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(25), Apc-Acc/Rchg(25), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(27), Apc-Dam%(29)

Level 14: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(29)

Level 16: Proton Therapy -- Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(A), Pnc-EndRdx/Rchg(31), Pnc-Heal/Rchg(31), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(31), Pnc-Heal(33)

Level 18: Explosive Blast -- SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg(A), SprSntWar-Dmg/Rchg(33), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(34), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), SprSntWar-Rchg/+Absorb(34)

Level 20: Particle Acceleration -- Flight-I(A)

Level 22: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(36)

Level 24: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-Travel(A)

Level 26: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(36), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(36)

Level 28: Particle Shielding -- Prv-Absorb%(A), Prv-Heal(37), Prv-Heal/Rchg(37), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(37), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(39), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(39)

Level 30: Kick -- Empty(A)

Level 32: Nova -- Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), Arm-Acc/Rchg(40), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(42), Arm-Dam%(42), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(42), FrcFdb-Rechg%(43)

Level 35: Fire Cages -- EnfOpr-Acc/Rchg(A), EnfOpr-EndRdx/Immob(46), EnfOpr-Acc/EndRdx(46), EnfOpr-Immob/Rng(50), EnfOpr-Acc/Immob/Rchg(50), EnfOpr-Acc/Immob(50)

Level 38: Meltdown -- RctArm-ResDam(A), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(43), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(45), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(45)

Level 41: Ground Zero -- AnlWkn-Acc/Rchg(A)

Level 44: Tough -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), RctArm-ResDam(45), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(46), RctArm-EndRdx/Rchg(48)

Level 47: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(48), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(48)

Level 49: Afterburner -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)

Level 1: Brawl -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(13), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(27), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40)

Level 1: Opportunity

Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)

Level 4: Ninja Run

Level 2: Swift -- Flight-I(A)

Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)

Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)

Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)

Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon

Level 50: Pyronic Core Final Judgement

Level 50: Reactive Radial Flawless Interface

Level 50: Barrier Core Epiphany

Level 50: Assault Radial Embodiment

------------

I saw your change to Combat Jumping, and I think that encapsulates the situation very well.

One more note, in your section about secondaries:

The following secondaries have T9s with a crash...

Add Electric Armor to that list (unless the Sentinel version doesn't do it?  I don't know I've only gotten Ann Ionic up to 31, so I don't have Power Surge yet).  At least on other ATs, its T9, Power Surge, has a HP and End crash, but when it crashes, it releases a nice wide Electromagnetic Pulse, to help you survive the crash.  On my Brute, what I do with that is slot it as a Hold (like, I'll go a full set of Lockdown, for instance) instead of as a Resist set.

Thanks again this is a great job!

Electric does crash, you're right! The proofreading is appreciated. I really should have done another pass before I hit post but this was like 30 hours of work and I was getting antsy to put it up.

Good Lord! That was exactly what I was looking for. Just hit 35 and now have access to Epic/Ancillary Pools. None of them really appealed to my DP/WP Sentinel. I was curious about what the Patron Pools had to offer, since I was already a Vigilante and could take a dip to villainy for the sake of the pool powers. Thank you for the awesomely in-depth analysis. You're Jawesome!

Glad someone noticed, Shark Man. :)

• Like 1

Hybrid sets are Bio Armor, Dark Armor, Energy Aura, Ice Armor, Invincibility, and Willpower.

I only wanted to point this out because it's such a well written guide, and I honestly didn't see any other mistakes, but, I think you may have meant Invulnerability here, and not Invincibility.

Hybrid sets are Bio Armor, Dark Armor, Energy Aura, Ice Armor, Invincibility, and Willpower.

I only wanted to point this out because it's such a well written guide, and I honestly didn't see any other mistakes, but, I think you may have meant Invulnerability here, and not Invincibility.

I did, thank you!

Based on your guide, I decided to try out Power Push on my Energy/WP Sentinel, in lieu of Explosive Blast, which always seemed kind of "meh" to me.  I had avoided Power Push because of the unintentionally deceptive description, and I figured I already had plenty of single-target KB.

Wow, what a difference!  Power Push is a solid hitter.  It's fast to activate and recharge.  I have it 4th in my rotation, instead of Focused Power Bolt, which used to be there.  Now I can save FPB for my Offensive Opportunity, as my BIG single-target DPS blast for bosses, instead of wasting it (and the activation time) on minions and LTs.

Thanks for the pro-tip!

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

Happy to have helped, Rath!

I'm currently experimenting with a radically different build based on a new understanding of PPM (the Paragon Wiki formula is outdated). Sacrificing a bit of survivability,but on paper, at least, it should be radically higher damage and -- best for me -- looks prettier and doesn't turn me into a psuedo-scrapper forced into melee range.

I think the guide undervalues Super Speed.  I’m able to complete missions (including Incarnate content) much easier with Super Speed and a +Stealth IO to skip unnecessary fights.  Yes, taking it means you probably won’t take Flight...but you can take Hover for the Defense slots and still have an in-combat means of controlling knockback.

I think the guide undervalues Super Speed.  I’m able to complete missions (including Incarnate content) much easier with Super Speed and a +Stealth IO to skip unnecessary fights.  Yes, taking it means you probably won’t take Flight...but you can take Hover for the Defense slots and still have an in-combat means of controlling knockback.

I'll update the guide accordingly. I've been experimenting more with Super Speed. I'm not sure I'd take SS with Hover, myself, but given the number of other forms of mitigation of KB that's not an issue.

I am beginning work on an update right now, but it's rather extensive and may not be up right away; I need to re-evaluate every attack power's IO suggestions based on my new understanding of PPM.

Thanks for the guide Sunsette!

I'm really glad you found it helpful!