Curious about something? Don't be afraid of JUSTIN...errr Pineapple!

Abraxus

There is always a lot of discussion about how things don't come together for characters until their 30's, and that folks don't want to invest in something that may ultimately disappoint.  Incarnate powers, still a big mystery to a lot of folks out there.  The Pines/Mids builder is great from a stats/academic perspective, and can answer some questions.  However,  if you REALLY want to get the feel for something, or explore possibilities by taking your toon out into zones and trying things out for real, jump on the Beta server, Justin!

There, you can create a character, level him to 50 instantly, give them almost unlimited influence, craft Incarnate powers all the way to T4, all for free!  In fact, the most arduous thing about it is actually slotting all of those levels, much like a Respec.  But, it is like a practical version of the Hero Builder utility, where you can take what you have done, find an appropriate level mob, and observe the effects first-hand, rather than in theory.  Sometimes the stats are great, but if the accompanying visuals aren't satisfying, it leaves one wanting. 

So, go there!  Use the server to experiment!  Hammer out your theories, and potential builds without the worry of commitment.  Then, take what you have learned back to the live server, and know for sure what to expect.  For me, I was able to do some things I had only wondered about, but hesitated to commit to on live without knowing more.  This gave me the opportunity to take it for a test drive before buying, metaphorically speaking.  I highly recommend the exercise.

**Disclaimer**  I am not dissing the Mids/Pines builder in any way.  I say use it in concert with the Beta server for an even better experience.  But, in the end, numbers on the screen don't equate to the real experience, whereas, the Beta server will do just that.

Edited by Abraxus
  • Like 2

What was no more, is REBORN!

No no, just me waiting until the end of the week when Justin goes back to being a test server for what you mention. We don't get free incarnates and merits atm.

3 minutes ago, Generator said:

How does one get free Incarnate abilities on Justin?  I did try speccing out a 50 a few weeks ago but I couldn't get her any Incarnate stuff.

You'll have to wait until the next time they refresh the code on Justin.  The current version is the "release candidate" that's got the same limitations as production.  Once they've caught up with all the patching, they'll probably reset it back to free Incarnate stuff, accolades, etc.

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

1 minute ago, Rathulfr said:

You'll have to wait until the next time they refresh the code on Justin.  The current version is the "release candidate" that's got the same limitations as production.  Once they've caught up with all the patching, they'll probably reset it back to free Incarnate stuff, accolades, etc.

Sure, but last time I was on Justin, it wasn't release candidate, I just didn't know how to get Incarnate stuff.

Just now, Generator said:

Sure, but last time I was on Justin, it wasn't release candidate, I just didn't know how to get Incarnate stuff.

If you level a toon up to 50 using the appropriate slash command, the incarnate slots should open, and you should be able to craft, and fill them the same way you would on live.  Just without the time, effort, and expense of gathering materials to do so.  It's all there, just waiting to be used.

When I did it, I didn't need to get anything.  Just went into the "create" options, and started creating various T1-T4.  It just worked.  I don't believe you could actually see anything in your inventory, but you still had to go through the motions of actually crafting each one from 1 up to 4.

• Like 2

I was on Justin (apparently, just before they threw the tarp over it) when an Admin Message was broadcast that said something to the effect that we needed to enter some sort of / command if we didn't want our character wiped.  Whatever the command was, I immediately entered it on the PB toon I was on at the time.

Does anyone know when Justin will be back up so I can tinker with that toon again?  And will I need to enter some other / command to revive him or will he just be sitting in the lone occupied character slot because I entered that other command as instructed?

The problem for me isn't so much getting a feel for what a character will feel like at 50, it's that, IMO, a character should be fun to play at all levels.  Now, obviously you won't have, say, a full attack chain right away, but if those few early attacks aren't that good, or you lack a key power or two until much later in the build, then I'll look for another powerset...

Edited by biostem