FPS style powerset

DR_Mechano

Now before you ask, it isn't a powerset played from First Person mode but instead a powerset inspired by classic FPS games like Doom and Duke Nukem. Right now we have Assault Rifle which is...kind of a tad silly but it's here to stay. So what I'm proposing is an alternative that also lets people use the Chaingun/minigun model and a unique Build up style proc to give it some flavour. This set also resuses a lot of animations and assets meaning it isn't as bad as say inventing a whole new powerset with all new animations.

level 1: Pistol (already have animations (would use the less fancy Thugs MM pistol animation) and customization models ingame).

Single target, low cooldown, light damage tier 1.

level 1 alternative: Dual pistol (As above, uses Thugs MM animation etc.)

Single target moderate cooldown, moderate damage.

level 2: Shotgun (already have animations as they would share assault Rifle pose and we have several options ingame that are NPC used but not player used).

Essentially a copy of Buckshot from Assault Rifle but using a shotgun model.

Level 4: Heavy Assault rifle (animations already in game and we have all the Assault rifle models to pick from).

Fires a 3 round burst from the assault rifle, an updamaged (damage wise) version of Burst from Assault rifle basically.

Level 6: Super Shotgun (same as shotgun).

Much wider cone, higher damage, higher recharge version of Shotgun.

Level 8: berserk fury.

gives half the damage bonus of Build up but also comes with a +50% recharge bonus for rapid firing action. Combined with Hasten you become a death dealing machine for 10 seconds able to spam out all your attacks in rapid succession.

Level 12: Chaingun (this would require new customization options bar the one already ingame and porting the animation from NPCs to PCs).

A toned down version of Full Auto, moderate damage, much shorter range but a wider cone to compensate.

Level 18: Plasma gun (uses the beam rifle models and animations but fires a Proton Volley style projectile).

Superior single target damage.

Level 26: Chainsaw (we have the model ingame for one and I thought I'd throw a curveball in the set).

Extreme melee damage using the momentum version of Titan sweep.

Level 32: BFG (again uses Beam rifle animations and models).

Essentially a copy of overload from beam Rifle.

It would naturally come with a no-redraw mode though due to the high number of model swapping going on.

Alternate suggestion: Ammo Based Shooting Powerset.

When you take the Pistol power you get a free click based power with a moderate recharge time. This power is "Reload Bullets". This power grants you up to a maximum of 6 stacks of "Pistol Ammo" and 2 stacks of "Rifle Ammo". These powers do nothing on their own.

The Pistol Power itself gets an animation reduction to make it faster, and no recharge time. But it can only be used if you have a "Pistol Ammo" buff, and each shot removes 1 stack. Dual Pistols takes 2 stacks per use.

When you take the Shotgun Power, you get another free click based power with a moderate recharge time. This power is "Reload Shells". You get 4 stacks of the "Shotgun Shells" buff when you click the Reload Shells button.

Using the Shotgun uses 1 shell. Super Shotgun uses 2 shells. The powers have no recharge times.

Heavy Assault Rifle uses the Rifle Ammo, so you only get 2 shots before you have to reload it.

And then leave the rest of the powers normal when it comes to recharge times and activations.

Obviously the relative availability of Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun shots means those powers need to take a slight hit in overall damage, but I think it would be a neat game mechanic for the set to have a sort of 'pseudo-burnout' power that ignores recharge rate changes to give back your use of certain abilities.

Or if possible just make "Reload Bullets" and "Reload Shells" freebies at level 1 regardless of what power you choose. Whatever works!

That's a cool idea, not sure how complicated it would be to implement though. The reason I didn't go with an ammo based one (I thought about using something like swap ammo instead of the reload buffing yours has) was because your classic FPS games (and doom 2016) didn't have reloading, it was unrealistic yes but reloading is very much a modern FPS invention.

Still I do like your suggestion though.

Momentum would be the easiest implementation. Can't use Follow Through without Momentum, just change Momentum to 'Bullets' or 'Shells' and go from there.

It would let players at low levels 'Fan the Hammer' to quickly take down a couple of minions or an LT, then reload to take out the rest. Then wait to reload, again with no 'bullets' left.

... now I just wanna design this mechanic into a full on 'Gunslinger' powerset...

I'd actually like to see this or something like it as a secondary powerset. Blasters are the ranged damage AT that doesn't do their good damage at range. Aside from the whole bait and switchiness of it, it would be nice to have the range focussed option. (No sentinels don't count for a whole variety of reasons not the least of which is they are shortchanged on range)

Edited by TheAdjustor

I kind of made a similar suggestion here, only focusing on just the heavy weapons.  I doubt they'd add a set that utilized any of the attacks from other existing sets.  I could see using single pistol ones, but not dual pistol, and shotgun ones are unlikely to be reused.

The reason I went with animation and weapon reuse is we're nolonger dealing with a 50 man team, we're dealing with volunteers, with only two things needed to be ported over from NPCs (The stance and the minigun plus shotgun models) it means less work for a designer to do.

You say that but look at Axe, War Mace and Broadsword, all of them are literally shared animations with one or two unique animations thrown in plus looking at the work other servers are doing all of them are making use of reusing animations/sets in order to create more ATs.

1 hour ago, DR_Mechano said:

The reason I went with animation and weapon reuse is we're nolonger dealing with a 50 man team, we're dealing with volunteers, with only two things needed to be ported over from NPCs (The stance and the minigun plus shotgun models) it means less work for a designer to do.

You say that but look at Axe, War Mace and Broadsword, all of them are literally shared animations with one or two unique animations thrown in plus looking at the work other servers are doing all of them are making use of reusing animations/sets in order to create more ATs.

I get that, but axe & war mace aren't actually *exactly* the same - they're using different weapon models and dealing different damage types.  That's actually pretty significant.  We don't have another melee powerset that includes, say, a war mace attack somewhere in there...

• 5 months later
On 9/17/2019 at 3:53 AM, biostem said:

I get that, but axe & war mace aren't actually *exactly* the same - they're using different weapon models and dealing different damage types.  That's actually pretty significant.  We don't have another melee powerset that includes, say, a war mace attack somewhere in there...

Yes this is a Necro of massive proportions BUT having talked about this in Sentinel AR thread. It just hit me...there is actually a set which reuses War Mace....Bane Spider. A large portion of its attacks are literally clones of the War Mace version. Bash, Pulverize, Shatter and Crowd Control are all clones of War Mace versions with Mace Beam, Mace Beam Volley and Poisonous Ray. If one only took the melee powers you'd basically be playing a War Mace Stalker.

So there IS an example of another power set using attacks from other sets.

Skimming this idea and imagining the redraws kept me from really delving into it.

I do like trying to re-purpose existing assets. 

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

46 minutes ago, Troo said:

Skimming this idea and imagining the redraws kept me from really delving into it.

I do like trying to re-purpose existing assets. 

Well we have the tech for no redraw options so I imagine this set would basically be a No Redraw on all of it's attacks.

I don't think the game can handle that many weapons in the same slot.

Just try a Dual Pistols/Ninja Training/Munitions Mastery Blaster - at least one weapon is always invisible.  This would cause the same problem with just one power set.

40 minutes ago, Williwaw said:

I don't think the game can handle that many weapons in the same slot.

Just try a Dual Pistols/Ninja Training/Munitions Mastery Blaster - at least one weapon is always invisible.  This would cause the same problem with just one power set.

I wonder if a better option would be to utilize Deadshot or Mandolorian-style "weapon gauntlets" - We have the immobilizing dart attack that does something similar, already...