Code of Conduct Update - September 25th 2019

Jimmy

8 minutes ago, MunkiLord said:

I'm not positive on this, but I have a feeling you may know, but isn't it also true that trademark violations aren't covered by CDA Section 230 and DMCA protections for website owners/hosts? 

I'll admit I'm not entirely sure to that end. I know that there's been mixed decisions regarding S230 Safe Harbor and trademark, but I believe (no guarantees) that at the moment you're correct, and no protections are granted for trademark violations. S230 is about unlawful publication/distribution, which is generally more of a concern for copyright.

As for DMCA, it's specifically for copyrights and doesn't have anything to do with trademark at all, so no application there. In fact, trying to use a DMCA against a trademark violation can actually open the issuer up to counter-action: DMCA paragraph 512(f) provisions regarding misrepresentation of the process.

• Thanks 1
mrb-social2_mini.png.464409b4404c13db31506dbe99d59609.png

Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer

The build planner to make your awesome characters even more awesome!

Into the Night "... and so we went into that dark night, for we knew our dawn would come again..."
~ The Meowcronomicon

1 minute ago, MetaVileTerror said:

Lime is the superior flavouring.

Unless you have white cheddar.  At which point white cheddar is superior.

A friend once made me a large container of popcorn with white chocolate drizzled into it (some kind of bark?). It was amazing. 

Freedom toons:

Illuminata

Phoebros

Mim

Ogrebane

2 minutes ago, MetaVileTerror said:

Lime is the superior flavouring.

Unless you have white cheddar.  At which point white cheddar is superior.

... Sriracha.  That is all.

• Like 1

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

3 minutes ago, MetaVileTerror said:

Sriracha is a support flavour.  Sriracha-lime.  Sriracha-cheddar.

Sriracha-Sriracha.

It's the Rad/Rad of the flavor world.  😄

Edited by PaxArcana

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

Fire/Fire is what happens to you after CONSUMING the Sriracha-Sriracha.  😄

Fire out your mouth, and fire out your ... um ... 🤯

1 minute ago, MetaVileTerror said:

Sriracha-Sriracha sounds like a Fire/Fire Blaster to me.
Or maybe Water/Fire, tinted red?

My body would agree, much to the dismay of my brain and mouth.

...I miss being a teenager and being able to practically drink the stuff.

• Haha 1
mrb-social2_mini.png.464409b4404c13db31506dbe99d59609.png

Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer

The build planner to make your awesome characters even more awesome!

Into the Night "... and so we went into that dark night, for we knew our dawn would come again..."
~ The Meowcronomicon

42 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

I would think Thor in any incarnation is going to be out.  Since that's a pretty huge Marvel character.

Nope.  Because he is also, indisputably, a mythological figure that predates Marvel.

Thor had a major appearance in the Sandman comics.  He was a red-headed, drunken lout.  He looked and acted nothing like the Marvel character.  That's 100% legit and nothing Marvel can do about it.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

12 minutes ago, Ironblade said:

Nope.  Because he is also, indisputably, a mythological figure that predates Marvel.

Thor had a major appearance in the Sandman comics.  He was a red-headed, drunken lout.  He looked and acted nothing like the Marvel character.  That's 100% legit and nothing Marvel can do about it.

I realise he predates marvel.  I realise that they don't own mythology.  I just don't see the HC team making an exception for Thor considering his A list marvel status.

• Like 1

i guess what i want to know is what does this all really imply, like ok, if one had a Psi Melee Stalker patterned after Psylocke, obviously besides any name reference, what would need to change about say costumes? like would swapping out a couple parts to make it not QUITE the same be considered "safe"? and what about costumes patterned after characters but those characters dont precisely exist, like say a female version of Aqua Man named Aqua Woman? since thats not an existing DC Character even if the costume migth be patterned after oldschool aquaman?

i have no problem adhering to rules and i do love this server, but i guess i would like to know where are the limitations, at what point would something outside names stop being considered a problem for that? admittedly only maybe 3 or 4 of my 65 characters might even fall under this ruling, but i would like specifics as to where things lie on the spectrum, i think it would help everyone get a better idea of what is or is not safe/allowed

Edited by Lavos2019

3 minutes ago, Lavos2019 said:

i guess what i want to know is what does this all really imply, like ok, if one had a Psi Melee Stalker patterned after Psylocke, obviously besides any name reference, what would need to change about say costumes? like would swapping out a couple parts to make it not QUITE the same be considered "safe"? and what about costumes patterned after characters but those characters dont precisely exist, like say a female version of Aqua Woman? since thats not an existing DC Character even if the costume migth be patterned after oldschool aquaman?

i have no problem adhering to rules and i do love this server, but i guess i would like to know where are the limitations, at what point would something outside names stop being considered a problem for that? admittedly only maybe 3 or 4 of my 65 characters might even fall under this ruling, but i would like specifics as to where things lie on the spectrum, i think it would help everyone get a better idea of what is or is not safe/allowed

Probably going to be up to the GMs to determine what is "too close".

i really wish in cases like this they would have a clear set of guidelines, i worry when it comes to the interpretation of individuals things can go far and fast, and usually thats not good, not saying i have any sort of distrust of the GMs of course, but thats always risky territory regardless

i understand the need for this rule change, especially if the server does become legally recognized, and of course ill comply