New Players - Enhancements (DOs & SOs - use em)

Troo

On 10/9/2019 at 7:32 AM, Xeres said:

I've never bothered with enhancements at all until level 12 except for the ones that drop.

Even as a brand new character?

I bought some, I remember thinking it might be foolish to have an open slot if I had enough to get something. It took a lot of snakes to level up then and we were in a hurry to get to level 14.

I think folks can forget what it was like to be brand new.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

5 hours ago, Troo said:

Even as a brand new character?

I bought some, I remember thinking it might be foolish to have an open slot if I had enough to get something. It took a lot of snakes to level up then and we were in a hurry to get to level 14.

I think folks can forget what it was like to be brand new.

Yeah.  My very very first character in 2003 I did but since then it just seemed like a waste of inf to buy an enhancement until DOs were available.

On 10/4/2019 at 7:57 AM, Extor Prime said:

DOs and SOs are a waste of money. 

Even if I create a toon that skips DFB, I start slotting generic IOs at 10. EVERYTHING that drops afterwards is cash in the bank.

The constant hassle of replacing training, DOs and SOs is absolutely not worth it. Upgrade Generic IOs when it makes sense to do so (every 10 levels or so). Otherwise, you're just wasting inf.

On Excelsior : Plasma Fury (Fire/Fire Blaster) - Prodigal (WP/SS Tank) - Terra Forma (Earth/Storm Controller)

1 hour ago, TyrantMikey said:

Hasten. Don't even THINK about skipping it.

Why not?  I do.  Not every build needs Hasten.  Many do, admittedly.  But not all.

• Thanks 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

6 minutes ago, Rathulfr said:

Why not?  I do.  Not every build needs Hasten.  Many do, admittedly.  But not all.

I was speaking strictly from the perspective of using Hasten to overcome the need to slot recharge reduction everywhere.

Granted, context is everything, and I'm not all that great at clarifying context. 🙂

• Thanks 1

On Excelsior : Plasma Fury (Fire/Fire Blaster) - Prodigal (WP/SS Tank) - Terra Forma (Earth/Storm Controller)

4 hours ago, TyrantMikey said:

Even if I create a toon that skips DFB, I start slotting generic IOs at 10. EVERYTHING that drops afterwards is cash in the bank.

The constant hassle of replacing training, DOs and SOs is absolutely not worth it. Upgrade Generic IOs when it makes sense to do so (every 10 levels or so). Otherwise, you're just wasting inf.

Upgrading generic IOs can be usable if you respec and exchange the IOs.  The problem is, level 10-25 IO prices fluctuate and it might net you a bit of profit to AH those IOs rather than destroy an weaker level IO to replace it with a stronger.  Granted, I do that all the time because the amount lost isn't a problem for me but for players that need those 3 IOs they can grab for 100k, it can be a costly sacrifice. 

On 10/4/2019 at 11:16 AM, Shred Monkey said:

If I was a new player and followed this guide because I didn't know what IO's were, I'd be pretty upset once I did learn what IO's were and that I wasted all that time and inf following this guide.

My advice for starting out is to slot for accuracy and recharge (using mainly your own drops and the 5 P2W enhancements) until level 17.  Then start filling in level 20 IOs as you can afford them (continue to use the P2W enhancements until you decide you have something better.) 

How you get to level 17 is up to you, but while you do, save your inf for IOs instead buying DOs and SOs that will expire.

I never bother with level 20 IOs.  I'll buy a few level 20 ACC and DMG DOs at level 17-20, (but not enough to fill all slots) before that to get to level 22 and then I'll get level 25 IOs. If I do have any cash I'll look at low level IO sets (attuned of course).  Those can last me until I want the higher level IO sets. 

There is also the 2 big inspirations you get from the tutorial. (Have not read every post, but none I read mention it) If you are a new player, or just new to a server, you can sell those on the AH to make enough to splurge on a full set of TOs, if you really must, all the way to 12 or so. If you get that P2W power that drops 3 inspirations ever 30 min. or so, some of them big ones, you can probably splurge on whatever you want until 22 or 27 and then buy all your IOs.

I would do THAT with any new guy, if I did not have a couple lvl 50 sugar daddies to drop a couple million inf. on any new guy I start once they get out of DFB.

I would not suggest someone run DFB with their FIRST character, since you will fly by any of the newb content and there are some good missions in The Hollows. But DFB is a fun time in and of itself once you have experienced those beginner arcs.

Well the absolute first thing I'd suggest newer players do once they're out of the tutorial zone is go to the P2W vendor and get the 5 prestige enhancements for free.  You slot them into your first few offensive powers and you're set with those slots to about level 18 or so.  It's a good start IMO. 

• Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 3:56 PM, TyrantMikey said:

Isn't this also wasting inf?

3 minutes ago, gamingglen said:

Isn't this also wasting inf?

It hasn't been, in my experience. Generic IOs have been significantly cheaper than DOs and SOs on the market. And as they scale with your level much longer, you really only need to replace them when they'll provide a significant boost to your toon. The savings has been pretty dramatic. 

As always, YMMV.

Edited by TyrantMikey

It's crazy how cheap you can buy a crafted level 15 or 20 IO. Not every IO, but looking at WW right now, level 15 damage IOs just sold for 55 inf. Recharge IOs for 1000 inf.  

At that price, I don't think it's a waste of inf.  I'm a fan of putting some low bids out on generic level 15 or 20 IOs and then replacing them later. I like to mix and match some cheap sets with terrible bonuses at 22 (like Focused Smite acc/dam, for example) and then I might even run a respec at 32, replace those level 25s and resell them for more than it cost me to make them. 

• Like 1

Sorry, but a brand new player with no alt to provide funding is absolutely NOT going to have the funds to buy or craft IO enhancements.    And the lower level IO enhances

are in short supply, believe me I've looked.

DOs and SOs are not a waste of time, and I wish people would stop spreading this misinformation.  They work just fine for what you face leveling up.

I personally rarely mess with IOs until I get into the 30s or 40s, even though I do have the funding if I wanted to.

Edited by krj12
  • Like 2

Since I never use alts to fund each other, have found low level IOs at prices cheaper than DOs, and I can resell my level 25 IOs when I respec at 32 for a profit, I respectfully disagree.  I do mix in some DOs, since accuracy IOs are hard to find cheap, but if I can get a level 15 damage IO for less than 1,000 why would I not?

I mix and match sets and SOs in the 20s and 30s-- it's near impossible to find anything reasonably priced in sets like defense or resistance-- but for things like melee damage and holds for example, there are super cheap options that outstrip SOs, and again if I respec later I can resell them for a profit which I can't do with SOs. And respec's drop often enough in this version of the game that I haven't run out yet.

Edit-- to be clear, I disagree with anybody who says that SOs and DOs are entirely obsolete. Some IO sets can be just too expensive unless funded by an alt. Even end mod IOs, for example can be really hard to find. But I also disagree with anybody who says that it makes sense to always ignore IOs until late game. Aside from some IOs being crazy cheap pre-crafted, my most recent 50 (an end-challenged dark tank) found the 20s far more tolerable slotting a mix of focused smite and smashing haymaker acc/dam and dam/end in his main attacks at 22 and leaving them there until 37. Those sets cost not too much more than the SOs at level 22, over the course of 15 levels cost much less, and then at level 37 with a respec they gave me a tidy profit. 

Edited by eknudson

I just craft the IOs I find and have the salvage for.  Sell on AH, buy the attuned version if I have a place for it on an alt. 

I also craft the generic IOs I find - keep the relevant ones, sell the rest.  Lots of generics sell for more than their crafting cost.

And buy DOs and then SOs for whatever I don't find.  But I figure I'm saving funds by limiting where I need to do this.

At 50 I'll rethink the IOs - until then a mix of random IOs and SOs is pretty cheap, and works for me.  And I get the fun of a good drop...

• 3 weeks later