Ice/?

Duck-Smokes-Quack

Wanting to make an Ice blaster for thematic reasons - of course Ice/Ice stands out thematically as a front runner, and someting like Ice/Fire could always be considered (Shoto Todoroki?) 

But since at heart I do love numbers is there any pairing with Ice/ that is so tastey that it  should be considered purley for numbers/synergy even over theme?
Just curious 

Until I get more experience with other secondaries Ice/temp is my default answer. You get two holds among other goodies. /fire would likely be #2.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

Ice / Atomic if you like control options. You have 2 ranged ST Holds in your primary, 1 ranged ST hold in your secondary (available early so easy to get that double stack for bosses), a pbaoe hold in your secondary, you can get another ranged ST hold in your epic pool. The sustain power for Atomic has a 20% recharge bonus along with the regen / end buff / status resist. The melee attacks you do get have some good oomph to them if you don't mind mixing it up (which is easy when you're beating on a frozen statue). The downside is you don't have as much aoe damage as some other sets.

The thing is, Ice is a pure ranged set. It's nuke is a gigantic ranged SLOW, for pete's sake! It's designed to function best at about the extent of it's cone, to be able to solidly keep enemies at that range. To play to that 'keep them away and under control at all costs' Tactical arrow is almost frighteningly synergistic... Locking down groups so your blizzard and ice storm can tear them to shreds, giving you the kinds of defenses you need, and even adding more long-range toxic aoe goodness that just stacks a ton more slow and -rech on top of your icy evil. (as well as a hefty dose of proc potential)

I know they do not... umm... 'look' pretty together, but they are really brutal combined.

Edited by Frostweaver
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Frostweaver said:

The thing is, Ice is a pure ranged set. It's nuke is a gigantic ranged SLOW, for pete's sake! It's designed to function best at about the extent of it's cone, to be able to solidly keep enemies at that range. To play to that 'keep them away and under control at all costs' Tactical arrow is almost frighteningly synergistic... Locking down groups so your blizzard and ice storm can tear them to shreds, giving you the kinds of defenses you need, and even adding more long-range toxic aoe goodness that just stacks a ton more slow and -rech on top of your icy evil. (as well as a hefty dose of

I know they do not... umm... 'look' pretty together, but they are really brutal combined.

Genius!

I'm 100% gona take a close look at these two sets side by side and see how i feel!

Thanks, its a combo i wouldnt even have considered!

6 hours ago, Frostweaver said:

The thing is, Ice is a pure ranged set. It's nuke is a gigantic ranged SLOW, for pete's sake! It's designed to function best at about the extent of it's cone, to be able to solidly keep enemies at that range. To play to that 'keep them away and under control at all costs' Tactical arrow is almost frighteningly synergistic... Locking down groups so your blizzard and ice storm can tear them to shreds, giving you the kinds of defenses you need, and even adding more long-range toxic aoe goodness that just stacks a ton more slow and -rech on top of your icy evil. (as well as a hefty dose of proc potential)

Interesting. Ice doesn't just slow, though that's a far more amazing power than many people seem to realize.  I've been playing with amping blizzard's -tohit.  In late game, our aoe damage isn't all the rocks it is in earlier game, but what about using the "nuke" as a debuff?  It still does mad damage, esp with Aim and Build-up (plus IO set, incarnate, and even insp boosts), but slotted for -tohit, it's crazy more useful late game. Maybe.  What do you think? 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tahliah said:

Interesting. Ice doesn't just slow, though that's a far more amazing power than many people seem to realize.  I've been playing with amping blizzard's -tohit.  In late game, our aoe damage isn't all the rocks it is in earlier game, but what about using the "nuke" as a debuff?  It still does mad damage, esp with Aim and Build-up (plus IO set, incarnate, and even insp boosts), but slotted for -tohit, it's crazy more useful late game. Maybe.  What do you think? 

Blizzard makes an excellent Debuff thanks to the fact that it kills, kd, slow and -To Hit mobs but on it's own -25 To hit isn't enough during the late-late game.  It would be better paired on a Defender or Corr with the Dark Miasma secondary to back up the amazing power of Blizzard.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 5:19 PM, Tater Todd said:

Blizzard makes an excellent Debuff thanks to the fact that it kills, kd, slow and -To Hit mobs but on it's own -25 To hit isn't enough during the late-late game.  It would be better paired on a Defender or Corr with the Dark Miasma secondary to back up the amazing power of Blizzard.

You have to admit, that power boost makes blizzard just as amazing as any defender or corrupter pairing.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 11:53 PM, Tater Todd said:

It's just stupid with Power Boost followed up by Bitter Ice Blast, that's true.

I'm currently running Blizzard with DWD, and I love it. The damage is insane with aim and build up (and incarnate damage boosts), and the debuff is amazing.  Anything that manages to survive is easily one-shotted with Bitter Ice Blast (or even with Ice Bolt).  I'm finding it fun, but I haven't run it through mids or anything. 

On 10/9/2019 at 11:03 PM, Duck-Smokes-Quack said:

Genius!

I'm 100% gona take a close look at these two sets side by side and see how i feel!

Thanks, its a combo i wouldnt even have considered!

Yeah I have an Ice/Tactical and it is great, the other set I would run with Ice/, is /Plant.  It's perfect to make a flying Blaster with good ranged defense, with the ranged nuke, and the T9 toggle in plant giving you good AoE debuffs: -Regen, -tohit and -Damage.