Do you have a Dell "Gaming" laptop? Read this.

Hyperstrike

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Inspiron-15-Gaming-7567-Ethernet-internet-speed-capped/td-p/7190864

On several models of Dell gaming laptops, there's a piece of software called "SmartByte" installed.
This is supposed to be "network optimization" software that prioritizes video traffic.
In reality, this software is BROKE AS *PANCAKE!*

😒😒😒😒😒😒😒😒

Fortunately my main machine, once they installed a signal booster, managed to pull down 550Mbits or so.
(You NEVER get the full 1000, even if you're the only person on the loop.  Ethernet overhead limits you.)
Better than a kick in the jimmies...

Anyhoo, you can't simply remove SmartByte.  The Dell Support software will reinstall it on you no matter what.
So, THINK SNEAKY!

Go into Services (services.msc) control panel.
Stop AND Disable SmartByte Network Service.
However, don't stop there.  Because if the service doesn't start it's rigged to try and restart itself and, ultimately, reboot the machine.
So go to the Recovery tab.  For each of the Failures dropdowns, select "Do Nothing".
And uncheck "Enable actions for stops with errors"
Then click OK.

Reboot your machine.

After the reboot, Halle-frickin'-lujah!

• Like 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

What about set it to run manually?

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Nah.  Because if anything turns it on, your network throughput goes to *PANCAKE!*

It's not ENTIRELY Dell's fault.  At one time, traffic optimization made slow connections more livable.

Now, in the days of 50+ Mbit connections?  Useless as a belly button on your elbow...

• Like 1

I'd lose the Dell Support Software as well.

Of course, I'd lose Windows, too, if I had my druthers.

Good catch!

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

32 minutes ago, DoctorDitko said:

I'd lose the Dell Support Software as well.

Of course, I'd lose Windows, too, if I had my druthers.

Good catch!

And lose my 4 year warranty?

NOT ON YOUR *PANCAKE!* LIFE!

I don't have a laptop but I do have a Dell Gaming Desktop, I'll have to check to see if this applies to it as well, I am hardwired and haven't noticed any issues though. Getting ready to rewire the house soon, but don't want to suffer in the meantime. Most of the cabling is Cat5e or below, yet I have gigabit equipment, which can lead to disasterous amounts packet loss. Need some Cat6 0r Cat7 to future proof my network for a while. Going to put in a 2nd AP while I'm at it.

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 8:33 AM, Marine X said:

I don't have a laptop but I do have a Dell Gaming Desktop, I'll have to check to see if this applies to it as well, I am hardwired and haven't noticed any issues though. Getting ready to rewire the house soon, but don't want to suffer in the meantime. Most of the cabling is Cat5e or below, yet I have gigabit equipment, which can lead to disasterous amounts packet loss. Need some Cat6 0r Cat7 to future proof my network for a while. Going to put in a 2nd AP while I'm at it.

Because I haven't read up on it yet...but what's this Cat8 I hear about? And isn't one of those a simple rebranding?

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Category Standard Bandwidth Max Data Rate Shielding
Cat5e 100MHz (up to 350) 1000Mbps UTP or STP
Cat6 250MHz (up to 550) 1000Mbps UTP or STP
Cat6A 500MHz (up to 550) 10Gbps UTP or STP
Cat7 600MHz 10Gbps Shielded only
Cat8 2000MHz 25Gbps or 40Gbps Shielded only

Basically, unless you have VERY specialized needs, or have equipment that fits into Cat 8.1 (25Gbps) or 8.2 (40Gbps) spec, you're wasting money buying them.
If you max at 1Gbps, grab CAT6.
If you're running a small 10Gbps network (it's actually fairly inexpensive to do), go CAT6A.
If you're worried about signals integrity over a particularly long run, or you're in an EM-rich environment, buy the STP (Shielded Twisted Pair) variant.

Isn't there a special kind (special insulation) when going through the ceiling? Or is that just for businesses?

Shielded Cabling can help protect against EM Interference from Fluorescent Light Ballasts and such but has not been used much until recent Alien Cross talk* Issues made it necessary for Cat7 and beyond. Most shielded cable installs end up ineffective because people don't properly install it. You have to Ground each cable at Patch Panel, use shielded jacks at user end and use shielded patch cords for it to be fully effective. Some older Cisco equipment used to have a reference in their Warranty Declarations that use of shielded cabling would void the equipment warranty, not sure what they thought would happen. I have an older home, and have been reworking the electrical but have very limited pathway choices for the 2nd floor, so some cabling will be in the same chases as Electrical. This makes using Cat7 worth the hassle, but just for those runs, the rest will be Cat6.

On 10/26/2019 at 6:44 PM, WanderingAries said:

Isn't there a special kind (special insulation) when going through the ceiling? Or is that just for businesses?

Insulation Comes in several Grades:

Riser: ( PVC ) General use single space cabling, not recommended for Multi-Floor Installs, also used for most patch cords.

Plenum: ( Plenum PVC ) Enhanced to not release toxic fumes when burning, If your cold air return for HVAC is thru the Ceiling, this or above is required by Code for commercial installs. Good for Multi-level and ceilings.

Polyethylene ( CPE ) Outdoor Rated and resistant to heat, sun and environmental exposure.

There are numerous others for specific installation needs.

* Crosstalk between Cables In a Shared Pathway

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

Also, got to test my phone-tethered connection this week and hot damn if the connection's actually usable again!

Prior to this, I was getting disconnects all the time.  And severe buffering for YouTube vids and the like.

Now?

HMBOOWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

On 10/22/2019 at 5:32 PM, Hyperstrike said:

And lose my 4 year warranty?

NOT ON YOUR *PANCAKE!* LIFE!

I'm waiting on verification from another brother who has been at Dell since '97 but I'm already 99% sure that uninstalling the Dell Support software will NOT void your warranty.
Having worked there myself from '97 to 2000, I can assure you that most of the extra software ANY manufacturer installs should probably be uninstalled as soon as you pull it out of the box.

Edit: Verified by Dell employee. No problems with uninstalling Dell Support Assist.

Edited by Bill Z Bubba