Suggestion for future Halloween events

srmalloy

If it's not something tied to the zone, and isn't difficult to copy, having additional NPCs walking around the zones with the same spectral effect you see with the NPCs in Echo: Dark Astoria would add a little bit of additional flavor to the event. Or maybe only when there is 'supernatural activity' in a zone, perhaps making all the non-interactive NPCs (i.e., everyone but enemies, contacts, detectives, and anyone else you would talk to in the course of a mission) spectral when the activity is going, to add more spookiness.

Edited by srmalloy
  • Like 2

I think the creepiness of the ghosts NPCs in Echo: Dark Astoria works in large part due to the ever-present fog.

Maybe some wall of fog can be added to some isolated spots of the city & some simple ground cover fog can be added in other spots.

Just don't have so much of it that it becomes overwhelming, a little goes a long way.

Other flavor items could be some cobwebs in/on some of the abandoned buildings in some zones, broken windows & crumbling building facades.

Adding Cobwebs or making broken windows would require changing the map, which is a large pile of pieces stuffed together, like the world's largest SG Base. It would be prohibitively resource intensive to swap maps on the fly and either require everyone get kicked out of the zone or go through a loading screen. That's why the mapsets change during Maintenance Windows.

That said, the Skybox -can- change on the fly. And invasion spawning logic exists. So it might be reasonable to change the skybox to the Dense Fog version, resulting in any zone suddenly becoming murky, cloudy, and harder to see through...

And I think that'd be a great thing to do during, say, a Spectral Invasion where a bunch of Ghostly NPCs appear. From Ghostly Citizens like in Crotoa to Spectral Pirates like in Port Oakes... could even spawn in some EBs by putting the AE "Ghost Filter" on them. In Talos and Indy Port you could even force the Ghost-Ship to spawn during any Spectral Invasion just to add some spice to those -specific- invasions.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Lost Ninja said:

And for the love of all shorten it.

I play on Reunion and at least on Wednesday night there seemed to be very little ToT going on (we had no power last night so I couldn't get on at all), if the event was only two weeks (week either side of 31st maybe), then people would still be enjoying it on the 31st rather than being totally jaded.

I would say rather than shorten it, they stagger it. Theres actually four differnt events, so why not change them every week? Theres toting, zombie apocalypse, banners and the trials. I would say start with banners, cause they are hard to get people for, then trials, then zombies and end with toting. Also limit how many zones have events at a time. Make it 1 zone per side at a time.

Actually, let's do a loop-de-loop.
Week 1:  Banners, normal day-night cycle ('cause apparently that upset people more than I thought possible), only at night, in two Hero zones, one Villain zone, and one Praetorian zone simultaneously.

Week 2:  Trick or Treating, perma-night.  All normal zones.

Week 3:  Zombies!, normal day-night cycle, every hour in two Hero zones, one Villain zone, and one Praetorian zone simultaneously.

Week 4:  EVERYTHING, perma-night.  Just like we had for this past month.

Haunted House available in LFG the entire 4 weeks.

How does that sound?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 11/1/2019 at 2:57 AM, Shadowsleuth said:

I think the creepiness of the ghosts NPCs in Echo: Dark Astoria works in large part due to the ever-present fog.

Maybe some wall of fog can be added to some isolated spots of the city & some simple ground cover fog can be added in other spots.

Just don't have so much of it that it becomes overwhelming, a little goes a long way.

I think you're right; having the spectral pedestrians would work better during the banner event, just thicken the fog a little.

• Like 1