Merc Keyboards - Edit: Solution found!

HairyLou

Quick edit: Solution found: Microsoft Power Toys will let you remap the keys. https://github.com/microsoft/PowerToys

I have one of those really old Zboard Merc Keyboards (same problem sort of with Steelseries Merc Stealth) that is no more supported by Windows 10. (Apparently it's even worse with the zboard than stealth.)

I know these are very much loved and treasured not just by me, and many of us played this and other games for a long time on them and struggle (sadly, yes) to play on other keyboards...

...So I wonder if anyone found a working solution or any similar product on the market. I know there's unsupported, unlicenced drivers but they seem to run int o problems with some software that look for "cheats".

To be honest, if you have one of these wonderful keyboards and haven't upgraded to win10 yet for some reason, there's now a good reason to not do it. 🙂

Edited by HairyLou
Solution found!

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but it looks like those keyboards don't actually give you more keys to work with than a regular keyboard. So... is a regular keyboard not a viable alternative?

Edit: I guess it ends up being three buttons short if you aren't willing to use the function keys on a regular keyboard, which is reasonable to me.

Edited by nzer

They've got a whole section of "gaming keys" set in a pattern that is wonderfully easy to find. Playing with awsd etc is near to impossible once you get used to that left side layout. Sadly...
My hands are just used to finding that version of shift, alt, ctrl + number keys. I now hit tab+1 when trying to activate my second set of powers, not to mention fly into walls etc when I hit the wrong key to turn around. Yeah, sure, I'll get used to it, but it's been a 15 year habit playing on this and my other two identical keyboards. I know others share this pain; the Merc Stealth is quite expensive if you try getting one nowadays.

Right now the left side AND the number keypad isn't working in any way that is functional at all. (keys starting web browser etc, number keys not working at all...)

In my case it was even worse, windows kept crashing on every update and reverted until in finally one day failed that too and I had to do a clean install.

spacer.png

Logitech G13

Razer N52 (Not sure these are even still made but they started off as a Belkin Nostrom n52 before being re-branded as Razor and given a back light (I think)).

I use the G13 only difference from the above image is it's used in addition to the keyboard. (well button layout is different too but you get he idea...

edit:

Just had a look and it looks like the g13 has been discontinued, I love mine and was planning on getting a new one as the key caps are worn out (it's about 8 years old).

https://gadgets-reviews.com/review/138-review-of-the-best-keypads.html - Some others...

edit 2:

The Razor Taturus is what the Belkin Nostromo has become. I used both the n50 and the n52 and loved their design but the software wasn't that great. I never upgraded to the Razor version as the G13 cam out and I liked that better. Logitech software was/is great and you can program (using LUA) your own stuff if you want.

Edited by Lost Ninja

• 5 months later

I've finally found a working solution and it comes from unexpected sources...

Microsoft Powertoyshttps://github.com/microsoft/PowerToys

...has a keyboard mapping tool. Just install, go to settings and you'll find it. Takes about five minutes to completely remap the "gaming" keys.

Unfortunately at this point it doesn't let you save different configurations like the old merc software did, but hey, let's face it... We basically play only one game...

• 3 months later

Myeah, ended up giving up totally and started playing on another keyboard. Problem was, even with remapping, I could not use two keys at the same time, so no cirkle strafing etc. Still useful to have it remapped for the odd times I do play on a computer with the keyboard and forget it doesn't work. 🤣

On 11/20/2019 at 12:07 PM, nzer said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but it looks like those keyboards don't actually give you more keys to work with than a regular keyboard. So... is a regular keyboard not a viable alternative?

If the OP is talking about the Mercs that I think were based on the original Ideazon Zboard, the "butterfly" keys for the movement keys (WASD+QE) are an ergonomic touch that dropped out gaming favor for some reason (the equally ancient Ideazon Fang falls into this category).

I have my first Zboard still in use and a brand new, never opened stored in the closet as a backup bought years ago. Wish I could find a Fang at a decent price. I would be really sad if I lost access to my butterfly keys for gaming. 😞

Not sure why the gaming keypads these days don't use the butterfly shape/arrangement as it is MUCH more comfortable on long gaming sessions. I also find it less likely to cause mis-keying during movement as well.

I have the Merc Stealth keyboard. I hate having to redo the driver every time there is a major Win10 update.

I have been looking at getting one of these.

https://www.newegg.com/p/32N-0026-000B6?item=9SIA4RE63X4987&source=region&nm_mc=knc-googlemkp-pc&cm_mmc=knc-googlemkp-pc-_-pla-corn+electronics-_-gaming+keyboard-_-9SIA4RE63X4987&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4ri14vDS6gIVIgiICR1rsQJQEAkYAyABEgIFXvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by Marshal_General

It's a bit cheaper on Amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0728P6DR5?pf_rd_r=RYY47E4PY95898KMRT60&pf_rd_p=edaba0ee-c2fe-4124-9f5d-b31d6b1bfbee

Disclaimer: Buying from this link may contribute to the EFF. Not sure, but I tried.

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

On 9/3/2020 at 12:52 PM, Marshal_General said:

I have the Merc Stealth keyboard. I hate having to redo the driver every time there is a major Win10 update.

If I may ask, how do you "redo" the driver? I've been tinkering with it now for a few days, and I can't manage it without activating "testsigning" for drivers in windows, which I can't do because many games (specifically the anti-cheat softwares) take issue with it...

43 minutes ago, DoingItForTheMemes said:

If I may ask, how do you "redo" the driver? I've been tinkering with it now for a few days, and I can't manage it without activating "testsigning" for drivers in windows, which I can't do because many games (specifically the anti-cheat softwares) take issue with it...

Use these instructions.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/merc-stealth-zboard-not-working-after-windows-10/c444c8ec-14cc-4df7-b0ec-6767b6bedb93

8 hours ago, Marshal_General said:

Thank you so much! I had found these instructions before, but for some reason I always thought "Oh I tried that and it didn't work", but I tried it "again"  and it worked like a charm! Shame on me.

• 7 months later
On 9/3/2020 at 3:52 AM, Marshal_General said:

So I've also had to redo the driver after an update. This last time didn't work though. I just updated windows today (20H2) and the Merc doesn't even show up in device manager properly now. Just shows up as "HID Keyboard Device" under "Keyboards". Tried disabling driver signing and update the driver but it says it isn't a compatible software driver for this device. Any ideas?

7 hours ago, QscillatorT said:

So I've also had to redo the driver after an update. This last time didn't work though. I just updated windows today (20H2) and the Merc doesn't even show up in device manager properly now. Just shows up as "HID Keyboard Device" under "Keyboards". Tried disabling driver signing and update the driver but it says it isn't a compatible software driver for this device. Any ideas?

This has what I have been doing.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/merc-stealth-zboard-not-working-after-windows-10/c444c8ec-14cc-4df7-b0ec-6767b6bedb93

i use a Razer Tarterus left hand mini keypad (like a gamer version of a "10 key" but it is 20 buttons plus thumb side twitch and movement controls.)  I would kill for a better mouse rightside.  I have tried various Razer products for a mouse.  They work.  Yeah!....?

I'm using a Steelseries Rival 500 mouse and just started using an Azeron Classic keypad.

The Azeron is expensive, and takes some getting used to, but feels worth it so far. Definitely easier on my wrist.

Now my girlfriend can have the Fang. She wants to play, but WASD on her ergo keyboard is just too awkward.

• 2 weeks later

My Ideazon FANG lives again... even though the key remapping is not working

I have been doing the "unsigned driver" thing a few times now, but with last windows update it did not work.

Still, I found a working solution, someone made his own signed driver, I tried it and it works. I do not know how safe it is but ima use it anyway.

If you go at this link, at the botom of the page there is an "Alternatives" section with a onedrive link to the custom signed driver I am talking about.

Hope this will let me use my fang for a long time, I really like this keypad and nothing on the market is similar at the moment.

Enjoy!

GitHub - adamwestman/driver-zboard-merc: Windows Driver for the Zboard Merc keyboard