Breakdown of Archetypes anywhere?

Valassi

Hi all!

I played CoH for several years before the official servers went down (sad day!) and I recently heard about Homecoming and am PSYCHED to be able to play it again!!! xD

However I made a lot of build mistakes when I first started (i.e. made my main a fire/fire tank, only to find out later that I'd be on the squishy side...) and am trying to avoid making such mistakes again.

So is there a guide somewhere that lists the more powerful builds and suggests which ones to avoid?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I don't think that there is a collected list, and honestly with IOs and Incarnate abilities everything has the chance to be a good (or at least non-squishy) build.

You might have better luck looking at the Archetypes sections for what you think you're interested in, there are usually some threads about advice for that specific AT in there. If you haven't decided, then that's a different question - what do you want to do in the game (ie, how do you want to play)?

Are you looking for most powerful powerset combinations or actual builds?

This thread tells you the most popular primary and secondary sets for each AT.  Just know that Fire is used for farming so it is vastly over represented compared to how good it is in the regular game.  Except fire/kin controllers are the best controllers.

I think, at lvl 50, a Fire/Fire tank could be squishy if you completely ignore IO's.  But really, my Fire/Fire sentinel is starting to feel really tanky and his resists aren't nearly up to what an actual tank can have.  One thing I have noticed with Fire Armor, at least on the Sentinel, is they get lots of resist and some decent heals, but, zero Defense of any kind, and a big hole to Psionic Resist, and a modest hole to Toxic.  

So I would plan your build around that, slotting specifically to patch both of those holes.  Look for set bonuses that give you +Defense, or +Psi/Toxic resist, and ideally both.  If it fits in your budget, get both of the +3% defense to all uniques, and the +5% resist all unique from Shield wall, and the Scaling Resist Unique from Reactive Defenses (has a min of 3% resist all).  If it doesn't fit in your budget, still get them, just not right away.  Keep track of your influence, keep track of your merits, and keep playing.  At some point, you will be able to afford them, even if not right away.  Properly slotted, the character will be like night and day. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DougGraves said:

Are you looking for most powerful powerset combinations or actual builds?

This thread tells you the most popular primary and secondary sets for each AT.  Just know that Fire is used for farming so it is vastly over represented compared to how good it is in the regular game.  Except fire/kin controllers are the best controllers.

And Fire/Kin Corruptors are the best Corruptors.

On 12/31/2019 at 9:31 PM, Sakai said:

Welcome home Valassi.  It is  amazing  to be back. 

As to your question, I have no actual idea but I'm sure people above have answered you well already. 

Just wanted to say hi. 

Happy hunting. 

Thanks! It's great to be back!