Star Trek

ViacomCBS announced last month that there are two new Star Trek films in the works.  One of which will be written and directed by Noah Hawley, who is the creator of the Fargo and Legion television series.  It has been assumed that Noah Hawley's Star Trek film will be a continuation of the Kelvin Timeline from the prior three Star Trek films, but now it appears that it may be a second reboot of the franchise.

“I have my own take on Star Trek,” Hawley told Deadline when asked if the reboot crew would return. "And going back to what I loved about the series Next Generation, when a lot of franchises focus on ‘might makes right,’ Star Trek is about exploration and humanity at its best, and diversity and creative problem solving. There’s nothing better than that moment when William Shatner puts on his reading glasses and lowers Khan’s shields. It doesn’t cost anything. But it’s that triumphant feeling about smarting your enemy. For me it’s about to getting to those elements of the show. I don’t necessarily find action in and of itself interesting unless it’s story. So, it’s early days, I’m still talking with Paramount and I have a take and I gotta write a script.”

I certainly like Noah Hawley's take on Star Trek, but I'm not sure how well that will translate to a feature film in this day and age of the modern spectacle.  Nevertheless, I'm curious.

• Like 2

That sounds like the approach that will be most appealing to me as a long time fan.  I grew up on The Next Generation, and while not all of it stands up to the test of time very well (oh geez, the late '80s early '90s had some . . . oof, just . . . oof), but I have a profoundly soft spot in my heart for those characters, the actors who portray them, and the willingness (if not always effective) to frame intellectual problem-solving as an obtainable and worthy goal.

Later in my life, though, rewatching everything on NetFlix, I also have to say that I am REALLY liking a lot more of Deep Space Nine now, compared to when I first saw it during its original running.

And all of the problems I had with Voyager are more glaring, and it's harder to find the silver-lining when I already know how it all ends.

Even still; solid sci-fi which had an immense impact on my development of a human being.  I really look forward to someone trying to recapture the ethos of Next Gen, rather than follow in . . . J.J.'s footsteps . . . 

• Like 2

My favorite is a tie between The Original Series and Deep Space Nine.  They both feel like idealistic space westerns and have very relatable characters.  The Next Generation is my second favorite.  I've spent the past year re-watching it, although I skipped over the first season.  I've seen that a few times, and it was enough. 😛

As for Voyager and Enterprise, the less said the better.

The Kelvin Timeline films were good for what they were.  I enjoy them on their own merits.  They provided Star Trek with a much needed kick in the rear after Voyager, Enterprise, and Nemesis.  

Edited by Apparition
  • Like 1

I mean, I'm not entirely against Voyager.  I would give it an - . . . no, wait . . . I'll give it a B+ for Effort.  There were some decent episodes, and the Doctor became an absolute hoot by the later seasons (especially when he had Seven of Nine to play off of).

But yeah . . . what's this "Enterprise" you speak of?  Never heard of it!   (I know, just . . . let's pretend, okay?)

Enterprise actually gets better.  You just have to struggle through the early stuff.

Discovery is pretty good once you get over the Klingon thing.  They did a good job with Captain Pike. 

The stuff I have seen about the upcoming Piccard series really looks good.  

======

I liked the look of the newer movies, but I didn't like them.  Both for narrative reasons and just as movies. 

I found it telling that an Executive Meddling attempt that Roddenbury staved off (an all-cadet crew) actually was used for the Reboot.   

The whole idea was stupid, and hopefully if there is a new reboot they ditch it.  

• Like 1

The Abrams films veered between mindless destruction and awful pastiche.  Discovery had many of the same issues, although the second season was an improvement over the first.  There was very little of the upbeat mood of Star Trek about it.  Discovery seemed like the backstory of the Abrams films rather than anything I could relate to any Star Trek I recognized.

If they are rebooting and binning the awful Abrams films, so much the better. 

• Like 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

1 hour ago, Heraclea said:

The Abrams films veered between mindless destruction and awful pastiche.  Discovery had many of the same issues, although the second season was an improvement over the first.  There was very little of the upbeat mood of Star Trek about it.  Discovery seemed like the backstory of the Abrams films rather than anything I could relate to any Star Trek I recognized.

If they are rebooting and binning the awful Abrams films, so much the better. 

Some of the characters in Discovery are really good.

Those first few episodes though are jarring

1 hour ago, Haijinx said:

Some of the characters in Discovery are really good.

Those first few episodes though are jarring

After season one of Discovery I couldn't force myself to watch the second season, which I am quite willing to believe is much improved, I just can't face more Star Trek disappointment

• Like 2

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

I actually liked how the cowboy actions by Michael ended up screwing up everything.

Since that is a bit of a deconstruction of the cowboy heroics from some of the Treks. Of course it is then promptly reconstructed up to 11 which I was less fond of. 

I do like how they are trying to shake some of the zeerust off.  The Picard trailers look like that continues. As opposed to tye new Movies that revel in it ... and add lens flares. 

Im not a fan if the spore drive at all.  But hey.  Cant have everything.

Pike is great.  The cranky Engineer is great.  Tilly is great.  Spok eh.  Michael meh. 

8 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

One thing about it that is annoying is they want you to pay for a streaming service just for Star Trek basically.  Which seems to raise people's expectations.  

Thats one thing we avoid here, it's on Netflix here

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

One thing I wonder about Trek watchers

Is that there are basically

1. Action Movie Fans that are okay with some Trek Movies  
  2. Trek Fans 
  3. Trek Fans that watch Science Fiction 
  4. Science Fiction Fans that are also Trek Fans 
  5. Science Fiction Fans that watch Trek  

So I wonder how those sorts of descriptions affect what Trek you like.  For example the new movies are mainly going for #1 hoping for some Nostalgia to splash on the rest

Where I'm more category 5.  I've watched all the TV series and some of the movies.  Really didn't like the new movies.  Mostly liked the rest of the franchise.  But if there was better Science Fiction available would probably skip Trek.      

But that may be why Enterprise and Discovery were better in my book, since I really don't care if they are "TOS" Like or "TNG" like 

Edited by Haijinx
  • Like 1