Build request: Shield Defense/War Mace Tanker

Albion

Greetings everyone, yes I know is a rather mundane build but the thing is, I have always gone controller so have absolutely no idea how to even start, our SG would not mind a dedicated tank and I have a backstory and hero theme built around these powersets, have prowled already this section of the forums and got some enlightenment but hope you can use your expertise, if willing, to guide me with any advice, experience and or build. Budget is not an issue, and I am not particularly picky about ancillary/patron or any other of the extra pools, but I would appreciate to lean towards a solid resistance, decent defense, and stable endurance management, so as to not make the team mates despair over me (as I would be popping my cherry on tanking all the way), so I am left in your care, thank you all in advance.

• Haha 1

Σαυτὸν ἀρίθμησον πρότερον καὶ γνῶθι σεαυτόν,

καὶ τότ᾽ ἀριθμήσεις γαῖαν ἀπειρεσίην.

One of mine, Warhorse ( Shield/Mace Tanker ), was this build and was pretty impressive. Didn't get the Incarnate Love that some of the earlier toons did but didn't seem to need it as much either. Started him for the Cimerora Launch. fastest toon to 50 for me.

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

I just adapted my Shield/SJ by switching SJ and War Mace out.

The shield part is proven time and time again ultra durable, War Mace i dont have experience with but you can swap powers around and as long as you retain the sets in the powers you swap it shouldnt affect durability.

Tanker (Shield Defense - War Mace).mxd

Edited by Infinitum
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Infinitum your original build was actually the one that I was looking into and gained the most insight from, I am honored, and truly thankful!

• Thanks 1

Σαυτὸν ἀρίθμησον πρότερον καὶ γνῶθι σεαυτόν,

καὶ τότ᾽ ἀριθμήσεις γαῖαν ἀπειρεσίην.

1 hour ago, Albion said:

Infinitum your original build was actually the one that I was looking into and gained the most insight from, I am honored, and truly thankful!

My pleasure, there will never be anything I enjoy more on here than tankers - and helping people with them, so if you ever need anything just give me a shout.

• 4 weeks later
On 1/24/2020 at 10:39 PM, Infinitum said:

I just adapted my Shield/SJ by switching SJ and War Mace out.

The shield part is proven time and time again ultra durable, War Mace i dont have experience with but you can swap powers around and as long as you retain the sets in the powers you swap it shouldnt affect durability.

Tanker (Shield Defense - War Mace).mxd 5.56 kB · 70 downloads

I'm assuming this build can be trivially translated to BS (iirc, WM and BS powers match one-to-one?)?  I've got a SD/BS Tanker with a budget build, but have recently come into some inf and am looking to upgrade. :)

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Tonio said:

I'm assuming this build can be trivially translated to BS (iirc, WM and BS powers match one-to-one?)?  I've got a SD/BS Tanker with a budget build, but have recently come into some inf and am looking to upgrade. 🙂

yeah basically just develop a working understanding of the powerset - in this case BS and then swap powers around till you achieve optimal attack with that powerset.  I dont know BS too well yet either unfortunately or i would spec something out for you, and would probably get it close, but there would be some guesswork involved by using raw numbers.

The shield side is IMO perfection though, unless you dont like fly, but even then you can swap that out and it shouldnt affect survivability at all.

Edited by Infinitum
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Infinitum said:

unless you dont like fly, but even then you can swap that out and it shouldnt affect survivability at all.

I love fly, but it doesn't mesh with this particular toon's theme (he uses Super Jump).  I'm sure I can adjust it, tho. Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tonio said:

I'm assuming this build can be trivially translated to BS (iirc, WM and BS powers match one-to-one?)?  I've got a SD/BS Tanker with a budget build, but have recently come into some inf and am looking to upgrade. 🙂

I go focus a little more on damage for balance.  Here is mine works very well. Solo DA mission all most as fast as my scrapper.  Proc out aoe with Tanker proc in ST for AV fights. Build up proc in tactics because it procs the more people you have in group. Build also gives 21% def for teammates . 3030 base HP cap with T9.  Def soft cap very good res. Very team friendly, damage and balance.

Spoiler

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.962
http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Tanker
Primary Power Set: Shield Defense
Secondary Power Set: Broad Sword
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Energy Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Deflection -- ResDam-I(A), ResDam-I(3), LucoftheG-Def(3), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(5), LucoftheG-Rchg+(5)
Level 1: Hack -- SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(A), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(7), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(9), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg(11), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(11)
Level 2: Battle Agility -- ShlWal-Def/Rchg(A), ShlWal-EndRdx/Rchg(7), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(13), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(13), ShlWal-Def(15), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(15)
Level 4: True Grit -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/Rchg(17), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(19), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(19), UnbGrd-ResDam(21), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(21)
Level 6: Active Defense -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 8: Against All Odds -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 10: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 12: Phalanx Fighting -- Rct-Def(A), Rct-ResDam%(17), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg(33), Rct-Def/EndRdx(33), Rct-Def/Rchg(33), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(34)
Level 14: Taunt -- Acc-I(A)
Level 16: Tactics -- GssSynFr--Build%(A)
Level 18: Grant Cover -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(23), LucoftheG-EndRdx/Rchg(23), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(25), LucoftheG-Rchg+(25), LucoftheG-Def(36)
Level 20: Build Up -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 22: Boxing -- Acc-I(A)
Level 24: Tough -- ImpArm-ResPsi(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(34), UnbGrd-Max HP%(34), GldArm-3defTpProc(37), UnbGrd-ResDam(39), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(50)
Level 26: Shield Charge -- Obl-%Dam(A), Arm-Dam%(27), ScrDrv-Dam%(27), Arm-Dmg(29), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(36), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37)
Level 28: Whirling Sword -- TchofLadG-%Dam(A), ScrDrv-Dam%(29), Obl-%Dam(31), Obl-Dmg(39), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(40), AchHee-ResDeb%(40)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def(A), LucoftheG-Rchg+(31)
Level 32: One with the Shield -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(39), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(40), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(43)
Level 35: Disembowel -- SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(A), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(37), SprMghoft-Dmg/Rchg(43), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46)
Level 38: Head Splitter -- ScrDrv-Dam%(A), TchofLadG-%Dam(42), Obl-%Dam(43), Obl-Dmg(45), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), FrcFdb-Rechg%(46)
Level 41: Conserve Power -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 44: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(45)
Level 47: Physical Perfection -- PrfShf-EndMod/Acc(A), PrfShf-EndMod(48), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(48), RgnTss-Regen+(48), Mrc-Rcvry+(50), PrfShf-End%(50)
Level 49: Maneuvers -- DefBuff-I(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Gauntlet 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Run-I(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Prv-Absorb%(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(31)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod/Acc(42), PrfShf-EndMod(42)
Level 50: Ageless Core Invocation 
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion 
Level 0: Task Force Commander 
Level 0: Portal Jockey 
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve 
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon 
------------

Edited by Ironscarlet
  • Thanks 1

On 1/28/2020 at 4:40 PM, Infinitum said:

My pleasure, there will never be anything I enjoy more on here than tankers - and helping people with them, so if you ever need anything just give me a shout.

Your build also translated well for my SD/Rad, who is now tough as nails =D

• Thanks 1