New Power Pools: Tentacles melee and Tentacles defense

I would like to see atentacles costume part like Doctor Octopus in several materials: robotic, metals, energy, ooze, octopus.

Then you may creat a tentacle melee set focused on AoE (providing an alternative to spines) and also a tentacle defense set on the concept thattentacles deflect and assorb blows direct to you.

As secondary effect for the melee you may have stun or hold while for defense you may have a mix of defense and resistence.

• Like 4

Can I make a slight alteration to this?  "Drone melee"/"drone defense":  You have SOMETHING outside yourself that attacks opponents and blocks shots for you.  It could be literal drones, it could be a set of robots arms or fleshy tentacles, it could be angry spirits, or it could be you're like Magneto and use something akin to telekinesis to have physical objects float around for your attacks and defense.

EDIT:  Instead of Drones, would a better name be "Autonomous Melee" and "Autonomous Defense"?  Also, it would finally give us a power set where the Magnetic aura felt thematically appropriate...I think Gravity Control is the only other....

Edited by Menelruin
  • Like 2

On 1/18/2020 at 2:27 AM, Menelruin said:

Can I make a slight alteration to this?  "Drone melee"/"drone defense":  You have SOMETHING outside yourself that attacks opponents and blocks shots for you.  It could be literal drones, it could be a set of robots arms or fleshy tentacles, it could be angry spirits, or it could be you're like Magneto and use something akin to telekinesis to have physical objects float around for your attacks and defense.

EDIT:  Instead of Drones, would a better name be "Autonomous Melee" and "Autonomous Defense"?  Also, it would finally give us a power set where the Magnetic aura felt thematically appropriate...I think Gravity Control is the only other....

Your proposal is very interesting but it is more close to mastermind than to melee. This is something I was thinking for a new powerset category : pets defense.

My idea was that a mastermind could replace the secondary powerset with a defensive set based on their own pets making them actual tanker. So you could have a thugs/thugs defense mastermind with tank durability.

Then you could make the pets defense sets available to sentinels too having for examble a dark blast/ necromancy defense sentinel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaptainSalerno said:

Your proposal is very interesting but it is more close to mastermind than to melee. This is something I was thinking for a new powerset category : pets defense.

My idea was that a mastermind could replace the secondary powerset with a defensive set based on their own pets making them actual tanker. So you could have a thugs/thugs defense mastermind with tank durability.

Then you could make the pets defense sets available to sentinels too having for examble a dark blast/ necromancy defense sentinel.

Maybe, but I was thinking of something that more blurs the line between "separate from / part of" the character.  More like how Targeting Drone isn't REALLY a pet, it's a toggle.

2 hours ago, Menelruin said:

Maybe, but I was thinking of something that more blurs the line between "separate from / part of" the character.  More like how Targeting Drone isn't REALLY a pet, it's a toggle.

I wonder if you could simulate that on the defense side, at least, with, say, a noncombat pet and something like Energy Aura?

And for offense, I believe that was in one of the never-completed Origin pools.  If HC decides to touch on those some more like they did with Force of Will, maybe the opportunity will arise.

Edited by Lazarillo
  • Like 1