Hami-O Question

Wild Claw

I'm not entirely sure where to put this, because I think it's just my misunderstanding rather than a bug or an issue of some kind... Back in live, I never really looked at HO's as I was constantly alting, rerolling, and doing the low-level stuff. So HO stuff was always on the 'I'll get to it eventually' list. Well, I'm getting to it now...

According to the various wiki's Hami-O's are level 50 enhancements that modify two or more attributes the way a SO modifies one. Mid's also has them as a solid 'this is what it is' entry, with no levels or anything.  Okay, fine that's cool. 🙂

However, in the Auction House I'm seeing HO's of lots of different levels, from level 1 on to level 53 or 54 or something like that. So... was 'level 50 only' changed as some point? Is this a Homecoming thing? Or am I just misunderstanding what I'm seeing?

It's the kind of thing where it's not possible to actually GET anything other than a level 50, buuuut it's still hypothetically possible? Like, I think, if they wanted to, a Dev or GM could create and grant a level 25 or 53 Hami-O with a command, and the game would just downscale it/upscale it automagically.

The main reason for these unobtainable things to exist on the market is for people to dump their extra billions of inf (since the inf cap is 2billion), knowing that the order will never be filled, since the items don't actually exist. And, on the ultra rare, nearly impossible off-chance someone DOES snag a level 53 Hami-O and post it, well... then someone just paid 2billion inf for the rarest prize in the game, so money well spent!

Way back in issue 2 or 3 it was possible to get into the Hive below level 45.  Lowbies would SK to get their hit on Hami during the Hold phase, then they'd drop team before he died and would get a lower level HO.  That was patched somewhere around that time making it impossible to get in the zone below 45 and HO's were patched to always drop at level 50.

I really don't know why the auction house has categories for below-50 HO's other than for legacy back on Live.  Now as far as I know it's impossible to have a non-50 HO.

In today's game HO's vary from useful and desirable to utterly worthless thanks to the availability of Set IO's.  Even setting aside bonuses you can still use a multi-aspect IO to accomplish the same thing a HO could do.  There's a few HO's that are worth money and a lot that aren't worth much at all.

• Like 1

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

Even beyond those early issues you could still sk to a lowbie outside the zone.  Like, I could drop from my team, get someone say, 40 in Atlas to invite me and then I'd get a level 52 HO.  Not sure when they fixed it but they did so you wouldn't get HOs> 50.  

I wasn't around for i3 but I did get some lvl 52 HOs (not proud of that) sking to someone out of the zone.

Combining is still an option but fair warning - you WILL lose the +, ++, up to +++ in the AH.  So you may have combined your HO to get it to 50++ but once you place it on the AH buyers will only see it as a 50.

Edited by Hedgefund

12 hours ago, Call Me Awesome said:

In today's game HO's vary from useful and desirable to utterly worthless thanks to the availability of Set IO's.  Even setting aside bonuses you can still use a multi-aspect IO to accomplish the same thing a HO could do.  There's a few HO's that are worth money and a lot that aren't worth much at all.

The big thing I'm looking at is the various powers that don't take IO sets at all. I was curious what HO's would do in those slots, especially when exemplaring down for whatever reason. I wanted to test if they behaved like purples or attuned IOs and scale down appropriately. That's when I noticed the weird 'HO's with levels' going on in the auction house and got confused as to what was going on. 🙂

30 minutes ago, Wild Claw said:

The big thing I'm looking at is the various powers that don't take IO sets at all. I was curious what HO's would do in those slots, especially when exemplaring down for whatever reason. I wanted to test if they behaved like purples or attuned IOs and scale down appropriately. That's when I noticed the weird 'HO's with levels' going on in the auction house and got confused as to what was going on. 🙂

They work like SO's actually, so they scale just like SO's do.  They're just 2 or 3 SO's in one slot.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

14 hours ago, Call Me Awesome said:

Way back in issue 2 or 3 it was possible to get into the Hive below level 45.  Lowbies would SK to get their hit on Hami during the Hold phase, then they'd drop team before he died and would get a lower level HO.  That was patched somewhere around that time making it impossible to get in the zone below 45 and HO's were patched to always drop at level 50.

Must have been issue 3, because I remember the original version of the Hami raid ending with the spawning of a Hamidon Bud for every character in the zone, and the character that got the defeat on a bud would get an HO. This obviously skewed things badly to the Blasters and some Scrappers (particularly Fire Blasters), who could get two, three, or even four HOs, leaving the ATs with low DPS out in the cold -- my Fire/Rad Controller didn't get a single HO from a Hami raid until the devs changed the reward mechanism to dropping an HO directly to each character in the zone when Hamidon was defeated.

1 minute ago, srmalloy said:

Must have been issue 3, because I remember the original version of the Hami raid ending with the spawning of a Hamidon Bud for every character in the zone, and the character that got the defeat on a bud would get an HO. This obviously skewed things badly to the Blasters and some Scrappers (particularly Fire Blasters), who could get two, three, or even four HOs, leaving the ATs with low DPS out in the cold -- my Fire/Rad Controller didn't get a single HO from a Hami raid until the devs changed the reward mechanism to dropping an HO directly to each character in the zone when Hamidon was defeated.

It's possible I'm miss remembering, it was a long time ago and I'd just started playing.  My first raid was late issue 3 and it was a 45 and up zone then and getting a hit on Hami got you a HO when he died.  I do recall low level characters getting HO's somehow and forget the exact mechanic.

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, Call Me Awesome said:

It's possible I'm miss remembering, it was a long time ago and I'd just started playing.  My first raid was late issue 3 and it was a 45 and up zone then and getting a hit on Hami got you a HO when he died.  I do recall low level characters getting HO's somehow and forget the exact mechanic.

No, you're remembering correctly. The original version of the Hami raid spawned the buds that dropped an HO to the person who got defeat credit -- there is a post in a thread on Ars Technica referring to it, citing the poster's player group as figuring out how to work it, with one character getting seven HOs from a single raid (and blanking six others doing it) shortly before it was charged so that anyone who hit Hamidon during the hold phase got their own HO (making the rewards fair), with the Hamidon Buds dropping SOs when defeated. IIRC, the buds were removed entirely around issue 9.

1 minute ago, srmalloy said:

No, you're remembering correctly. The original version of the Hami raid spawned the buds that dropped an HO to the person who got defeat credit -- there is a post in a thread on Ars Technica referring to it, citing the poster's player group as figuring out how to work it, with one character getting seven HOs from a single raid (and blanking six others doing it) shortly before it was charged so that anyone who hit Hamidon during the hold phase got their own HO (making the rewards fair), with the Hamidon Buds dropping SOs when defeated. IIRC, the buds were removed entirely around issue 9.

The buds still spawn now and their a PITA since they prevent Hami from spawning until they're all gone.

Spoiler

23 hours ago, Call Me Awesome said:

The buds still spawn now and their a PITA since they prevent Hami from spawning until they're all gone.

They must have been added back in the last revision to the mechanics of the Hami raid, because I remember raids ending with Hami going down and then people standing around trying to trade for the HO they wanted, with no buds oozing around.

23 hours ago, 0th Power said:

i may be remembering wrong, but didn't Hos use to be a higher % than SOs (like 50% for dmg/acc)?

HO's did indeed have 50% enhancement values.  I'm not sure when that changed but it was sometime prior to the change to the raid, likely around the time that ED dropped.

Spoiler

On 1/22/2020 at 5:43 AM, Novacat said:

They're a nice thing to slot even with IOs, for certain powers.

Swift for example can increase both its running and flying bonuses this way rather than just the regular crafted single speed.

Another example would be Cytoskeletons for Invincibiilty in the invuln set.  They enhance acc buff, def buff AND reduce end cost.

• Like 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

6 hours ago, Ironblade said:

Another example would be Cytoskeletons for Invincibiilty in the invuln set.  They enhance acc buff, def buff AND reduce end cost.

Cytos are the ideal slotting for Invincibility.  It's a tough tradeoff to either slot for set bonuses or to enhance 3 aspects of the power.

Spoiler

19 hours ago, Call Me Awesome said:

HO's did indeed have 50% enhancement values.  I'm not sure when that changed but it was sometime prior to the change to the raid, likely around the time that ED dropped.

If the values were bumped back up, there would be more value to the less desirable HOs.

5 hours ago, 0th Power said:

If the values were bumped back up, there would be more value to the less desirable HOs.

Indeed.  Currently there's only 2 or 3 that are valuable, most are, or at least were a month or so ago, worth only a hundred thousand or so.

Spoiler