Allowing MM henchmen pre-patch behaviour AND "stay/goto" behaviour with Bodyguard

Allow me to illustrate my pre- and post-patch MM tactics:

PRE-PATCH

Defensive-Follow: [Bodyguard] [Forces Passive for 10 seconds for all Henchmen] [Henchmen attack top of hate-list after 10 seconds]

Defensive-Goto: [Bodyguard] [Henchmen move to location and attack hate-list immediately] (Hate-list can be manipulated with enough spamming of this command)

Naturally I used DefFollow often, but when my pets started to 1v1 enemies I would call them with Goto to stay in BG range, and attack enemies closest to me for AoE etc. They would eventually listen to me if I spammed Goto and focus near targets. They would also move around freely to cycle through all attacks.

POST-PATCH

(UNCHANGED) Defensive-Follow: [Bodyguard] [Forces Passive for 10 seconds for all Henchmen] [Henchmen attack top of hate-list after 10 seconds]

(NEW) Defensive-Goto: [Bodyguard] [Henchmen move to location and attack hate-list immediately] [Henchmen do not budge an inch and will wait for ranged cooldowns when more than 7ft from an enemy]

Now, using DefGoto means my henchmen must be forced into melee range one at a time for me to keep pre-patch DPS. They just won't move to use their melee attack. And naturally moving all henchmen is most efficient, but that means bunching 5 Henchmen onto one target for the sake of one henchman. If I allow my pets free movement through Offensive-Follow for example to skip the 10s Passive window from Def-Follow, I forgo Bodyguard. This is a massive risk.

I can imagine using half-half commands to keep some pets on Defensive and Offensive, but regardless the DPS loss exists and so does an increased risk.

My suggestion:

1. Defensive-Goto is reverted to pre-patch.

2. ALL Stay commands retain post-patch behaviour properties.

3. ALL Passive commands gain post-patch behaviour properties.

4. ALL Passive commands gain Bodyguard.

This way, you can use the intuitively named (and underused) Passive and Stay commands to properly seat your henchmen in that gas cloud, moving into it with passive-follow which now has bodyguard to protect you (You could spam def-follow for the same effect), and then tell them to Def-Stay to give bodyguard, attack back and not move out of the gas cloud.

This way, you can also allow the same freedom that DefGoto had from before, allowing free placement of henchmen, bodyguard and their freedom of movement to the same extent as previously.

57 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

The only thing I would change is make them attack more than just one target after telling them to attack my target. It's like once that target dies, they think they are done for the day.

That's what aggressive mode is for. When attacking as ordered or on aggressive you lose bodyguard, which is designed. I quite like this specific functionality. Like, it lets me kill an immunes surgeon and have my bots return to bodyguard mode after, which is honestly handy. 

• City Council

Honest question: Are you micromanaging melee pets using Goto because you have to, or are you micromanaging them because you are used to having to?

I'm curious if you've tried leaving them on follow and testing out the AI changes -- they should be quite a bit better about staying in supremacy range than they were before.

We have some tentative plans for the bodyguard mechanic that should make it more flexible in the future and less dependent on the AI, but they're still in the conceptual stage.

3 hours ago, TheSpiritFox said:

That's what aggressive mode is for. When attacking as ordered or on aggressive you lose bodyguard, which is designed. I quite like this specific functionality. Like, it lets me kill an immunes surgeon and have my bots return to bodyguard mode after, which is honestly handy. 

Yes, I have aggressive mode on. That's a given.

3 hours ago, Number Six said:

Honest question: Are you micromanaging melee pets using Goto because you have to, or are you micromanaging them because you are used to having to?

I'm curious if you've tried leaving them on follow and testing out the AI changes -- they should be quite a bit better about staying in supremacy range than they were before.

We have some tentative plans for the bodyguard mechanic that should make it more flexible in the future and less dependent on the AI, but they're still in the conceptual stage.

I am testing this out with a thugs/traps and you're right so far, they're doing a much better overall job of staying in supremacy range, staying within the ffgen bubble on the other hand is a very different story. Supremacy range is wider than alot of the buff ranges MMs have for our defensive powers, so while pets absolutely do follow better, sometimes that follow isn't good enough to match our secondary choice. 

On 1/25/2020 at 6:25 AM, Midnight Guard said:

Now, using DefGoto means my henchmen must be forced into melee range one at a time for me to keep pre-patch DPS. They just won't move to use their melee attack.

Just curious: which pets (mercs, robots, dogs, etc.)?  And what level are you?

And also: do you think you still want to force your pets into melee range at level 32 or does the need to do that go away once all pets have a full attack chain?

Edited by gameboy1234

7 hours ago, gameboy1234 said:

Just curious: which pets (mercs, robots, dogs, etc.)?  And what level are you?

And also: do you think you still want to force your pets into melee range at level 32 or does the need to do that go away once all pets have a full attack chain?

I Use Demon Summoning, level 50 maxed Incarnates!

You definitely always want their pets to use their full attack chain specifically in solo situations. You and your pets being solely responsible for DPS means any minute difference is big in the long run. I frequently farm and solo +4x8 as well, facing the game's hardest content alone, simply because my MM can. But these small changes make a big difference to MMs' DPS as a whole.

19 hours ago, Number Six said:

DefFollow is still too risky because I need the mobs I am actively attacking with pets to be near me alongside my henchmen. I have to use Goto to stay alive in challenging content, using corners and walls to herd mobs etc.

EDIT: To be more specific, I'm using Time Manipulation, so both the two Heals and the PBAoE aura are key skills I need both pets and enemies within, hence why close quarter fighting through Goto is vital.

Edited by Midnight Guard
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Midnight Guard said:

DefFollow is still too risky because I need the mobs I am actively attacking with pets to be near me alongside my henchmen. I have to use Goto to stay alive in challenging content, using corners and walls to herd mobs etc.

EDIT: To be more specific, I'm using Time Manipulation, so both the two Heals and the PBAoE aura are key skills I need both pets and enemies within, hence why close quarter fighting through Goto is vital.

On 1/26/2020 at 5:01 PM, Number Six said:

I'm going to add to this, the issue is not supremacy range right now. I get the changes to stay, but they are bad overall changes when you take into account that 3 of the 5 pet sets include pets which are directly intended to end up in melee using melee powers that aren't brawl. It's terrible for ninjas and not good for thugs and demons. You asked if we're micromanaging because we're used to having to, this is not an ai issue this is a pet control issue.  Goto is how we move our pets into melee range, making goto lock melee pets to one spot makes goto useless for them. I am having on my thugs to use goto to move the ranged pets in and then hitting aggressive follow for my bruiser, and often that still leaves the bruiser lagging behind the other pets or not engaging at all even when I am in melee with my pets. Same for my demon prince. 

We aren't just using goto to keep things in one spot or in supremacy range. We're using it to allow the pets to take the alpha, something that your response here indicates is not considered in the changes at all. Using it to avoid things like CC which hit us first if we jump in with pets on follow. This is making active pet control more difficult and it's not just about what we need to do, it's about the feel of the class. If I wanted to play something that just had pets following on their own AI only I would be playing a controller with their dumb pets. 

We are masterminds. We should have solid control over our pets. This change has made melee pet control more difficult to do, require more steps, and less effective when it comes to pet tanking. I would say that at this point the changes to the goto command should absolutely be reverted to prepatch even if you have to dump all the MM changes with it until it is fixed, it is seriously cramping my style and I feel like I am being forced to depend on follow when I have not up until this point depended on follow much at all. 

Ai changes are awesome, changes to ranged pets are awesome, but this broke melee pet control pretty bad in some very annoying ways. Like badly enough that I would seriously ask you guys to not take a month to fix this, I primarily play masterminds and this is making them unfun to play and manage. I honestly preferred hitting goto 5 times to bring pets back close by to what is going on with them now. 

13 hours ago, Midnight Guard said:

I Use Demon Summoning, level 50 maxed Incarnates!

OK I'm going by memory here but I thought Demons were NOT one of the MM sets to be marked as "ranged only."  So this sounds buggish, at least if I understand what you are saying.

Hmm, I *think* you're saying that MM pets used to move into melee range if they had been ordered to "goto" a location, and now they do not, correct?  So you'd like non-"ranged only" pets (or demons at least, I guess) to be able to move to melee ranged after a "goto"?

• City Council

Thanks @Midnight Guard, @TheSpiritFox, that's helpful feedback to have.

I'm quite familiar with and sympathetic to the difficultly of positioning pets to make use of your secondary, having played a ninja/dark extensively before sunset.

I am wary about going back to the previous behavior of Goto, since it wasn't really "Goto" in any sense of the word, more like 'maybe go here if you feel like it and aren't too busy otherwise run all over the place chasing stuff and come back here later'. I completely understand how not having even that limited control would make micro difficult on melee pets, but I think we can do better and come up with something that induces less player aggravation.

One thing the AI changes make possible is doing some more intelligent positioning based on the AI state. I'd like to leave the ranged behavior as it is, but it's completely doable to make pets that use a melee preference act differently when those commands are issued.

What do you think about turning Goto -- for either melee pets only, or just the pets that weren't flagged as "ranged only" -- into an area defense command? That would be fairly easy to do since most of the logic was already written for the supremacy-range-of-owner behavior on follow. The trick IMO is tuning the area size to be large enough that melee pets can be effective, but small enough that they don't scatter too much, especially keeping the example of the FFG bubble in mind.

• Like 1

• City Council
52 minutes ago, gameboy1234 said:

OK I'm going by memory here but I thought Demons were NOT one of the MM sets to be marked as "ranged only."  So this sounds buggish, at least if I understand what you are saying.

Hmm, I *think* you're saying that MM pets used to move into melee range if they had been ordered to "goto" a location, and now they do not, correct?  So you'd like non-"ranged only" pets (or demons at least, I guess) to be able to move to melee ranged after a "goto"?

They are, the demons preference got reverted based on player feedback during beta.

The issue here is that both "goto" and "stay" were changed to set an AI flag that prohibits it from moving, period (unless it gets too far away from its assigned spot, from say knockback, in which case it's permitted to run back). For ranged pets that works great, but melee pets typically do need some freedom to move around a little, otherwise they stand there like idiots and occasionally throw a shuriken /rock.

Previously, pets could roam all over the place with no real limit, even when set to 'goto'.

2 hours ago, Number Six said:

I'm quite familiar with and sympathetic to the difficultly of positioning pets to make use of your secondary, having played a ninja/dark extensively before sunset.

I am wary about going back to the previous behavior of Goto, since it wasn't really "Goto" in any sense of the word, more like 'maybe go here if you feel like it and aren't too busy otherwise run all over the place chasing stuff and come back here later'. I completely understand how not having even that limited control would make micro difficult on melee pets, but I think we can do better and come up with something that induces less player aggravation.

One thing the AI changes make possible is doing some more intelligent positioning based on the AI state. I'd like to leave the ranged behavior as it is, but it's completely doable to make pets that use a melee preference act differently when those commands are issued.

What do you think about turning Goto -- for either melee pets only, or just the pets that weren't flagged as "ranged only" -- into an area defense command? That would be fairly easy to do since most of the logic was already written for the supremacy-range-of-owner behavior on follow. The trick IMO is tuning the area size to be large enough that melee pets can be effective, but small enough that they don't scatter too much, especially keeping the example of the FFG bubble in mind.

If you set melee pet behavior to, say, stay within 30-40 feet of the location indicated with the stay command but allow them to approach targets in that area it would work perfectly. It would move all the pets to a location in a bunch but allow pets with melee abilities to then move into melee range, and basically I'm pretty constantly readjusting pet position with goto no matter what. 

If you want an idea of my setup, I have q bound to goto+aggressive, e bound to goto+defensive, and r bound to follow+defensive, then middle mouse is bound only to attack with no stance change attached. This allows for some pretty effective pet management. I can move them to a location, target them on important things (like say immunes surgeons being annoying) and let them return to stance and command when that dies. Being able to alternate between defensive goto and aggressive goto lets you attack stuff, and then flip back to defensive mode quickly if you need to without screwing up the pets chosen location by returning them to follow. I am at this point in the habit of only hitting follow when moving to the next enemy group. 

Something to consider about follow. Solo, I covered that if you aren't set up to tankermind it can be very inconvenient to be taking the alphas. CC is the biggest overall concern there. My thugs/time and demons/nature almost never get CCed if the pets lead, but if I lead I almost always get hit by whatever they throw at me and having support secondaries means that this ends up dropping our toggles quite alot. My /time had to constantly reactivate times juncture and my /nature had it worse with 3 separate toggles that can get shut off by mez. 

In groups it's a different issue. 1) pets move across levels better when directed with goto commands due to the pets almost always moving slower than you and follow has them constantly pathing to you, a moving target vs pathing to a set point which they can determine a set ideal route to and move as fast there as they are capable. 2) In groups having pets moving around chaotically reduces engagement efficiency and allows pets and players to do too much competing for space. If your pets are scrambling through the enemies all the time it turns everything into a mess and with the number of pets who have some kinda cone AOE it helps alot to be able to like pick a side of an enemy group to send your pets to to get best coverage on those directed AOEs. Part of polite pet management is keeping the chaos to a minimum, and follow is just not good for that, pre or post patch. Before the patch I simply mashed goto commands alot to force pets to repath back where I want them. 

So yeah your suggestion specifically applied to any pet which has melee oriented powers not brawl would probably be a solid fix. 

If I could have one more wish, maybe take a look at pet pathing when pets are under the influence of speed boost. For whatever reason SB interferes with pet pathing and like makes them overshoot where they are trying to do in a series of awkward overcorrections, as if pets like "take steps" and SB extends those steps past what the pets think they're going to do. I have had pets repeatedly overshoot a goto marker and like bounce rapidly back and forth across the targeted spot until SB wears off or you move the goto ping somewhere they can effectively get to, and small changes in elevation even a few steps can make this problem 50x worse, sending pets careening down stairs or off elevated places in levels with no ability to control or limit them. 

And like, I like the effects of speed boost on my actual character, I don't know if turning it off at null the gull would be reasonable (does it stop working on pets if you turn it off for masterminds? Haven't tested that) but I would say either giving the ability to turn off the speed boost part just for our pets separately or looking at the pathing ai could fix this either way. 

Edited by TheSpiritFox

9 hours ago, gameboy1234 said:

9 hours ago, Number Six said:

They are, the demons preference got reverted based on player feedback during beta.

The issue here is that both "goto" and "stay" were changed to set an AI flag that prohibits it from moving, period (unless it gets too far away from its assigned spot, from say knockback, in which case it's permitted to run back). For ranged pets that works great, but melee pets typically do need some freedom to move around a little, otherwise they stand there like idiots and occasionally throw a shuriken /rock.

Previously, pets could roam all over the place with no real limit, even when set to 'goto'.

Yes, thanks for clarification @Number Six!

9 hours ago, Number Six said:

[...]

Highlighting for context: So essentially this is what we asked for - but you have the technical knowledge for the code required - it's hard to visualize without seeing it practically, but you're saying the principle would allow then to stay close to the Goto spot and defend the area allowing melee some freedom of movement. All of my yes! Happy to help with this! Question: Would this keep the "ignore AoE clouds" part of the updated Goto?

And thanks @TheSpiritFox for MM clarification details 🙂

• City Council
1 hour ago, Midnight Guard said:

Highlighting for context: So essentially this is what we asked for - but you have the technical knowledge for the code required - it's hard to visualize without seeing it practically, but you're saying the principle would allow then to stay close to the Goto spot and defend the area allowing melee some freedom of movement.

Yes, imagine a circle on the ground, centered on the spot that you click, that the pet is allowed to move around within but not cross the line. The code that was added for the AI change allows us to evaluate where the pet wants to move and either allow or reject it based on various rules and conditions (instead of moving out of leash distance and then having to run back towards the owner).

There are two dimensions to the new tech: leash distance, which defines where the pet is allowed to move, and target preference. The latter operates as a threat multiplier, so when I say 'preference' it means that all things being equal, the pet will prefer a certain target, but other factors such as a large amount of damage done or taunt can sometimes override that.

For example, pets classified as melee whose AI is in Follow mode now have a 100' leash distance, which they absolutely won't try to move outside of, and prefer targets that are within 50', which means they get a large threat multiplier for enemies that they can melee while staying inside Supremacy range (with a small buffer to account for collision distance). If you put the pet on Attack instead, the 100' leash is disabled and the pet can go anywhere to follow the target.

So here's what I'm thinking for the revised Goto for Melee AI - critiques very welcome:

• Goto - Defensive:
    • 30' leash distance from the goto location
      (for reference, FFG's dispersion field has a 25' radius)
    • Scaling target preference based on the inverse of the enemy's distance from the goto location, so targets closer to the center of the circle are preferred
  • Goto - Aggressive:
    • 60' leash distance from the goto location
    • Flat target preference bump for enemies inside a 30' radius from the goto location

Also considering setting Stay - Defensive for melee pets to have a small leash range, maybe 10-15' or so.

1 hour ago, Midnight Guard said:

Question: Would this keep the "ignore AoE clouds" part of the updated Goto?

No, it would not keep that, since that's a function of the AI flag that tells it not to move for any reason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Number Six said:

Yes, imagine a circle on the ground, centered on the spot that you click, that the pet is allowed to move around within but not cross the line. The code that was added for the AI change allows us to evaluate where the pet wants to move and either allow or reject it based on various rules and conditions (instead of moving out of leash distance and then having to run back towards the owner).

There are two dimensions to the new tech: leash distance, which defines where the pet is allowed to move, and target preference. The latter operates as a threat multiplier, so when I say 'preference' it means that all things being equal, the pet will prefer a certain target, but other factors such as a large amount of damage done or taunt can sometimes override that.

For example, pets classified as melee whose AI is in Follow mode now have a 100' leash distance, which they absolutely won't try to move outside of, and prefer targets that are within 50', which means they get a large threat multiplier for enemies that they can melee while staying inside Supremacy range (with a small buffer to account for collision distance). If you put the pet on Attack instead, the 100' leash is disabled and the pet can go anywhere to follow the target.

So here's what I'm thinking for the revised Goto for Melee AI - critiques very welcome:

• Goto - Defensive:
    • Scaling target preference based on the inverse of the enemy's distance from the goto location, so targets closer to the center of the circle are preferred
  • Goto - Aggressive:
    • Flat target preference bump for enemies inside a 30' radius from the goto location

Also considering setting Stay - Defensive for melee pets to have a small leash range, maybe 10-15' or so.

No, it would not keep that, since that's a function of the AI flag that tells it not to move for any reason.

I think that 60 feet is a bit much for aggressive. The rest of the changes sound absolutely stellar, but I think that goto should have a specific leash distance that is the same for both aggressive and defensive. Specifically for the reason of managing pet locations in tight quarters maps or maps with large numbers of elevation changes. I feel like a standardized location lock for goto commands is overall better for pet management than giving pets more freedom to move further in aggressive mode. If a melee pet needs to hit something 60' away I think it's better for MMs to get used to moving the goto pin to a new location. 

The actual stay command I pretty much never, ever use tbh but that leash would help too. 

3 hours ago, Number Six said:

• Goto - Defensive:
  • Goto - Aggressive:

Thanks for the response! I think this sounds good. But I agree with @TheSpiritFoxthat the leash distance should probably be uniform, also to help new players keep pets better managed. I don't know about Stay - Defensive to be honest, but it sounds good in theory.

• 2 weeks later
On 1/28/2020 at 8:50 AM, Number Six said:

• Goto - Defensive:
  • Goto - Aggressive:

Not to bug, but any word on the changes? I honestly haven't been playing much cause I'm waiting on this, just an update on if it's coming any time soon would be appreciated. 

• 2 weeks later

It would be nice for this kind of stuff to be configurable on the player's end, e.g. a /Time mastermind could set follow and goto to have a shorter leash range if they wanted while a /Storm mastermind could set it to be wider. Maybe even allow leash range to be passed as an argument to the pet commands so we could make macros for follows/gotos with various ranges.

I imagine that would take quite a bit more work though, if it's even feasible.

3 hours ago, nzer said:

It would be nice for this kind of stuff to be configurable on the player's end, e.g. a /Time mastermind could set follow and goto to have a shorter leash range if they wanted while a /Storm mastermind could set it to be wider. Maybe even allow leash range to be passed as an argument to the pet commands so we could make macros for follows/gotos with various ranges.

I imagine that would take quite a bit more work though, if it's even feasible.

This would be incredible though. Thugs, set your bruiser and arsonist to like 40 and 20 foot leash ranges with everyone else being stationary. Demons, set your demon prince to have a leash range and everything else stationary. Bots let the assault bot and drones have a bit of leash so that they take aggro off the protectors due to proximity. 

44 minutes ago, TheSpiritFox said:

This would be incredible though. Thugs, set your bruiser and arsonist to like 40 and 20 foot leash ranges with everyone else being stationary. Demons, set your demon prince to have a leash range and everything else stationary. Bots let the assault bot and drones have a bit of leash so that they take aggro off the protectors due to proximity. 

You can activate more than one pet command in a single macro, right? If it was passed in as an argument to /petcom you could have a single follow or goto macro with different ranges for each pet so there's not even any micromanagement to it. You could have several different macros for each command with different sets of ranges.

Edited by nzer