A Defense + buff/debuff archetype

I was looking around and playing with power set combinations and was sad to see that there isn't a tanky support class.  I am kinda enthralled by the idea of a Bio-armor/Nature affinity character that I think could be really fun to play.  I haven't given too much thought to how the synergies would work or if it would be even remotely balanced (in either direction...I can see it being possible to make a character that cannot deal any damage, which would obviously be a problem.)  Anyway, what are everyone's thoughts on this?  We already have the Sentinel which is a kind of Tank/Blaster type, so what about a Tank/Support?

I'm happy to play that, but I know so many people don't like the idea of an Archetype which "can't solo" because it doesn't have a dedicated damage Set.

I played a Controller as my main before Containment was added.  I'm one of those people who did -not- care for the double-damage.  Still bothers me a bit that a Dominator is a better Controller than a Controller thanks to Domination boosting Magnitude.

Simply put, such a character wouldn't be very useful. The armor sets exist to help you leverage other utility, namely damage or aggro control/tanking. Are you dying a lot as a defender/support? Would you be dying a lot if you never really attacked?  Then what good would armor really be? That's basically a force fielder who bubbles the team then sits like a leech in PFF. And I'd straight up veto another tanking AT. We just spent 6 months trying to balance the two we had, and Khelds are still waiting to be done. A taunt/support bot would likely make the devs pull their hair out, not to mention be dull as dirt to play.

The guardian being tested on other servers has an assault set paired with an armor/support hybrid secondary, so there is the potential for an armored support, just not something like what you are envisioning.

5 hours ago, scarredFalconer said:

I was looking around and playing with power set combinations and was sad to see that there isn't a tanky support class.  I am kinda enthralled by the idea of a Bio-armor/Nature affinity character that I think could be really fun to play.  I haven't given too much thought to how the synergies would work or if it would be even remotely balanced (in either direction...I can see it being possible to make a character that cannot deal any damage, which would obviously be a problem.)  Anyway, what are everyone's thoughts on this?  We already have the Sentinel which is a kind of Tank/Blaster type, so what about a Tank/Support?

How would you attack anything?

I mean there is Kick, Boxing, and Crosspunch, and if you do get all three, they can be surprisingly effective.  And there's Project Will and Arcane Bolt.

But...... NOT an AT that I would likely roll.

I wouldn't object in principle to it existing, but I think they'd get way more bang-for-buck via Melee/Support or Support/Melee.

Edited by MTeague

I think what everyone is clamoring for is an AT, or maybe even just a set, that has a ton of auras?

So like how (big bubble) from Force Field effects you and the team, a bunch of seperate powers that act like this to protect you and your allies in some fashion is something that is missing imo.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Galaxy Brain said:

I think what everyone is clamoring for is an AT, or maybe even just a set, that has a ton of auras?

So like how (big bubble) from Force Field effects you and the team, a bunch of seperate powers that act like this to protect you and your allies in some fashion is something that is missing imo.

I could get down for a variant of the VEAT, particularly as the specific look, powers and baked in story are limiting. That's largely what the Guardian is.

But an armored buff bot with no real attacks isnt very useful as anything other than a character on auto follow when multiboxing. 

• Like 2