The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

"EXTREME" alternate build

My idea is to allow to create alternate builds of a toon replacing the primary or secondary power set (maybe not both at the same time) within the same AT. The idea is mainly for RP reasons. Think how many characters have changed/acquired/lost powers in the comic books (superman, black canary, wolverine, green lantern). It would also allow to try out a few slight different version of the same toon without building each time a different character.

• Like 1

Your character's Powerset and Archetype are locked in at character creation as a single "Entity" as far as the game is concerned. The name you picked for the character is the filename for that entity. But powersets and AT? They dictate the contents of the file.

You've created Superman.SSINVBRUTExe in the Everlasting Character Folder. You cannot change the file type to Superman.TWINVBRUTExe without completely redefining what the file types mean and programming a whole system that allows for file translation between types.

In this case it would be tantamount to rewriting how characters function in the Character Server from the ground up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah just come up with a name with a few lower case Ls in it then you can use the upper case i trick to makea  few AT variants while keeping a single character for RP concept. I have 4 bentley Berkeley's for example as well as a Professor Berkeley. Alt builds take their own Enhancements anyways so its not really any cheaper just abit of time leveling up the new alts.

I think it's just about as far-fetched, but this has me thinking:

Step 1: fix and re-enable leveling pacts

Step 2: add a method to enter into one with your own character (a /alt_invite mechanism)

Step 3: add a method to change between them without logging out.

I'm not saying any of this would be smart for game balance (it wouldn't even be worth the effort if it reset cooldowns the way changing your build does), but it's an interesting thought for something like this.

Something like a -2 level shift while "entangled" perhaps. Could function for concept duos, alternate forms, or simply changing Batman from his Stalker mode to his Scrapper mode.

Edited by Replacement

Back in the day, a common topic was the desire to level up as one AT/Powerset and then turn into another.  Usually this was dismissed as some sort of powerleveling.

It seems to me that on a server with 1000 characters per shard and the ease of power-leveling these days, it wouldn't be much more trouble than setting up an alt build.

• Like 1

Through clever costume and power pool use, can can pretty much do this.  If you include the alternate builds, you gain even more flexibility.  Imagine if, for instance, you rolled a sentinel, built if fairly normally, but for your secondary build, you tapped into the fighting pool to give it more of a melee focus - you could do a lot with that, conceptually...

• Like 2