Was Just Reading the Lore Bible, when ... (re: Banished Pantheon & "Fame" Game Mechanic)

VileTerror

2 hours ago, Sakura Tenshi said:

That said, another factor people forget about why Blue Steel went nuts is because the night he killed the Clockwork King, he had (possibly on accident) murdered police officers trying to investigate what was going on with his creations. And I think this was right around the time Blue Steel and BAB disbanded the old Regulators and so they had seen plenty of crime families and street gangs murder cops with no comeuppance. So basically, Blue Steel went full Tumblr TRIGGERED mode. All in all, this does not excuse him, but the clockwork king's past does not entirely excuse him either.

At each turn basically the police escalated matters to cartoonish proportions. I'm not sure what culpability the creator of a semi-autonomous robot has in a murder... I'd guess something like a lesser form of manslaughter.  Blue Steel was aware that there was a teenager controlling them... maybe try and give him the option to surrender? After all, they're supposedly the heroes. Cops show up and get killed in a firefight they initiate, mostly due to propane tanks exploding. Great move Blue! Lets chase him down when he's mostly unconscious and beat him to death!

"Initially confused, and somewhat amused by the strange robots behavior and appearance, police finally took the Clockwork seriously when an officer was killed trying to prevent two Sprockets from stealing a spool of copper wire from a cable service van. The police cracked down, but the Clockwork men proved difficult to injure or contain, due to a single-minded purpose and their metallic hide. So the commissioner called in a number of favors with local heroes, including the former policeman Blue Steel, and a city-wide manhunt was undertaken.

The Sprockets were eventually tracked down to an abandoned warehouse, where a major assembly line production seemed underway. There were dozens of Sprockets attempting to construct scores more of their kind. Blue Steel scouted ahead and reportedly saw a young, disheveled man overseeing the operations.

When the combined task force of heroes and police raided the warehouse, all hell broke loose. In the firefight that ensued, several propane tanks were ignited and the warehouse caught fire. The robots fought on, ignoring the flames. When the heroes and SWAT Team finally broke their ranks, it appeared that a number had escaped, including the young man. Tragically, three officers were killed in the fight and fire.

Blue Steel chased after the robots, ranging far ahead of his fellow heroes and the SWAT Team. The young man was carried through the sewers by a half dozen robots, and finally reached a “safe house,” a decrepit bungalow in Boomtown. When Blue Steel radioed back to the commissioner, he learned of the officer casualties … and a fury exploded within him. He launched himself into the bungalow.

The young man was too disoriented from the early encounter, hurt by smoke and fatigue, and could not coordinate a proper defense. Blue Steel single-handedly smashed the Sprockets to pieces, and then turned his rage upon the man, beating him into a bloody pulp. Blue Steel collapsed, exhausted and spent. He checked on the man, and felt the bile rise when he realized the man was dead. Disgusted with himself and the whole day’s tragedy, Blue Steel radioed in for the coroner and clean-up crew. With a heavy heart he left to help fight the fire. The pieces could be sorted out later.

Thus there were no witnesses to whatever happened next. When Blue Steel returned later, the emergency crew was cleaning up the debris. There was sign of the scuffle, but none of the Sprockets were there, nor was the body of the young man. Had Blue Steel been wrong, and the man not died? Did the robots repair themselves and carry the corpse away? Was there something else at work here?

I wonder why the kid has anger issues? In general, the CK commits petty crimes. Look at the lame task force where you fight him. His evil plan is... to siphon energy from the city's power grid? Have his clockwork menace some factory workers while they steal parts to make more clocks? As far as crime in Paragon goes, that's really low stakes stuff. Just saying, if Frostfire can turn it around, this kid could have. 

No argument there, and the second SSA's first part seemed to hint at the beginnings of it, Penelope Yin was able to talk him down for the most part and you could leave things on a peaceable note. Going into some headcanon stuff, it's been noted the police are soft on the clockwork, likely for the reasons you've mentioned: his schemes are nothing worse than a slightly weird rat infestation in Paragon, plus they do are aware of their own responsibility in things. And I'd wager the only reason the clockwork king hasn't gotten a new body is because he'd lash out and escape from custody to give it to him, combined with a likely complication of pushing such a powerful mind into a whole new body (I think he's canonically second only to Penelope Yin who, herself is the strongest psyker in the lore, which even means someone as powerful as Sister Psyche and Aurora are dwarfed by CK)

And right into fanfiction territory, I kind of had this idea a bit ago that it'd be a kind of cool incarnate level content where, in order to stop Penelope Mayhem/save her, Metronome basically reached out to our CK and the CK of the Psychic Clockwork world and basically pulled a Dragonball GT Super Seventeen Saga. They fuse into a singular powerful psychic, powerful enough to basically WILL a new flesh and blood body for themselves and confront Penelope Mayhem.

8 minutes ago, VileTerror said:

Why bother with a flesh and blood body when both the King and Metronome are specifically mecha-supremists?  If anything, merging together in to a single entity should give us Clockwork-Clockwork fusion beings!

because I've been playing a lot of Final Fantasy XIV, so my anime levels are dangerously high and anything monstrous that becomes (even more) super powerful must also become handsome.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, VileTerror said:

Reading the chapter on the Banished Pantheon has also stoked greater flames in my passion project from when AE was first introduced:  A mission/trial/Task Force/whatever where you go up against the -ACTUAL- Banished Pantheon deities.  Not Mot (who, technically, isn't a part of the Banished Pantheon, but a separate god who the B.P. stumbled upon inside of Moth Cemetery).  The descriptions of Lughebu, M'Teru, Rambetu, Ullutay, and Tomdala are all QUITE engaging, though they should probably be bumped up a smidge.  And BOY HOWDY do I have -_IDEAS_- about how to utilize them!  So many ideas . . . such brutal, beautiful, terrible, horrific ideas . . .

I used the original BP deities in my AE adventure Lawyers of Ghastly Horror.  This is one of the ones I currently have published (really need to find someone who can be persuaded to give me more slots).  Of course, it's one of my AE adventures, so it's mostly comedy anyways.  Firemullet is in it too, as is Chris Jenkins. 

• Haha 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Where is this lore bible?  I would like to see it.

When Blue Steel radioed back to the commissioner, he learned of the officer casualties … and a fury exploded within him.....then turned his rage upon the man, beating him into a bloody pulp. Blue Steel collapsed, exhausted and spent. He checked on the man, and felt the bile rise when he realized the man was dead

He led one of the early crackdowns against the Clockwork, though has rarely spoken of the encounter

From Paragon wiki, the first is the Synapse TF and the second is the Blue Steel bio description.  Not defending, but this is how I read it.

First - he let emotion and the excitement of battle (tl;dr - chaos and thoughtless reaction to end it quickly) to stop the King as soon as possible.  He only realizes later what he did.

“The nerves will relax,” he later wrote, “the heart, stop its thumping. The brain will turn to animal cunning. The job is directly before us: destroy and survive.” 

“My numbed brain is intent only on destroying,” 

Audie Murphy's WWII account <--- Link

Second - He regrets his actions and doesn't want discuss it.  A sorta of PTSD, where his actions resulted in something tragic in the moment of battle. (As for getting a free pass; *shrug* its a game)

Kind of  #ClockworkKing-meme moment that happened a few years ago and blew up into a joke over a tragic moment (the real one).  And Blue Steel did become a meme into himself *shrug*

Backround lore doesn't really affect me, I find it more as a focal point for creating a character.  If BS is the nearest trainer, I use him.  BS has a nice back round to use; I just got inspired to make a new one with Mace and shield (I love mace, never really cared for shield.  Now, I have one to use both). But some how Blue is actually a Mace/Shield/Willpower, how is BS bullshitting with two defense types! while most other Sig Heroes just have different attacks.  Blue S could probably beat Tyrant, he doesn't make threats....he is a threat!

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

So, Heraclea . . . which Power Sets did you give your versions of the Pantheon Deities?  What did you make them look like?

Bearing in mind that I made this stuff back when AE was new, mine were:
M'Teru - Broad Sword / Super Strength (would redo as Broad Sword / Battle Staff, but really . . . M'Teru needs a unique Spear Melee Set)

Rambetu - Claws / Electric Armour (still happy with this, but would add some Storm Summoning and Electric Blast Powers too if I could)

Ullutay - Plant Control / whatever-it-was-that-has-World-of-Confusion-in-it (rather than Earth Control, I think the Thorny Vines textures of Plant Control and the Creepers and Flytrap make a lot more sense)

Tomdala - Gravity Control / Willpower (this one is the biggest stretch, as I would have wanted Tomdala to Propel -themself- with a teleport attack, animated where they jump straight up then land on top of their target, and Willpower for the Psi-Resist.  Tomdala was also the most difficult to make look anything like the version presented in the comics)

and the piece du resistance:  Lughebu!  - Illusion Control / Ninjitsu.   Oh. My. God (namely Lughebu)!  It is -too perfect- for him.  I know the Lore Bible says he apparently has fire magic, but fuck that!  Illusion / Ninjitsu is an absolute BEAST on an Archvillain, and it's just so thematically appropriate for THE Trickster God.

I'll post screenies of mine tomorrow; it's Valentine's Day today and that means the spouse has plans for me which don't include getting on to City.

17 hours ago, Bossk_Hogg said:

if Frostfire can turn it around, this kid could have. 

On that topic, I have never seen, in-game, an explanation for Frostfire's face-turn. You're just arresting him in one tier of alignment missions, and then in a higher tier he's suddenly a good guy. With Miss Thystle, you get some hints that she's having a change of heart and wants to give up her life of crime, but I haven't seen the same for Frostfire.

Frostfire's entire thing was he wanted to be a hero. He tried stopping a robbery that ended up causing major property damage and injury/death because he lacked training/control. They arrested him, and he decided "if you're gonna treat me like a criminal, I might as well be one."

He never stopped wanting to be a hero, he was just too angry to get past that first slight against him. It's been a decade or so since then, so I'm cool with him turning it around.

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, RikOz said:

On that topic, I have never seen, in-game, an explanation for Frostfire's face-turn. You're just arresting him in one tier of alignment missions, and then in a higher tier he's suddenly a good guy.

In addition to what HelBlaiz mentioned, you can see him starting to turn in the 30-39 range Vigilante mission, for what it's worth.  His lawyer gets him off on a technicality and you go beat him up and he basically just lets you do it, because he's started to realize that he "doesn't deserve" to get off for his crimes.

• Thanks 1