[Wishful Thinking] Replace fixed RNG for effects with an accuracy check modifier

Redlynne

10 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

You’re just demonstrating that you don’t understand the game. Offensive and defensive debuffs are not comparable and neither is comparable with CC or soft controls.

Ive agreed with Galaxy hundreds of times, and i have disagreed with Galaxy hundreds of times, but one that that remains common is that theres not many that do understand the game like he does.

and thats from both sides of any argument i have had with him.

Im 100% certain of that fact.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Galaxy Brain said:

Look up my threads my guy

Look I’m not trying to be a dick. That comment of mine was unnecessary.

You’re ignoring a lot of details. AOE soft controls In blast sets always have limits. In water, you have to stack up your buff in order to get the knockdown to be 100%. Sonic gives up the debuff that everybody plays sonic to get to have the knockdown. Dark does no damage on its knockdown ability. Blizzard is on a very long timer.

The OP suggestion allows you to build out of having to have any sacrifices.

Now if the suggestion is that energy blast specifically needs buffs, that is a different story and maybe that’s true.

Edited by Wavicle

On 2/19/2020 at 6:14 AM, Chrome said:

actually what i am suggesting is that all suggestions are equal and nobody outside of the developers should be the ones stating what should or should not be done, i am not sure how my point equates to nothing should be suggested ever.  i at no point said the developers are too busy to do anything, i merely stated that if somebody posts a suggestion that there shouldnt be that one guy saying the developers should focus on something else because reasons. i guess i did not make myself clear at all and i apologize for that.  i love reading suggestions but i dislike the fact that almost every suggestion thread equates to:

OP-COOL IDEA

First poster- i like it!

Second guy- that sucks why would devs spend time on this

my point is the second guy shouldnt use that as a reason. since he cant possibly know the capabilities or priorities of the homecoming developers.

and to be completely clear, i believe that if you dont like it, say you dont like it!! instead of using dev time as an excuse to why it shouldnt be done. come up with reasons why you dont like it to help further the idea into something you would like.  

Funny enough on another long lasting MMO game forum for DDO aka Dungeons adn Dragons Online, simply saying one doesnt like something is considered an off topic derailment of a forum thread. Basically over there say when something to do with PvP comes up, a great many who hate on pvp will chime in saying no I hate pvp dont do this, and the forum admin will again have to delete and clean up threads and post again that personal feelings are not relevant and unwanted, and time and again do point out that in statements like "I hate PvP and dont want dev time spent on it in any way nor see the game balanced first for pvp rather then pve," That the problem part of that post is the I hate pvp part of the statement. In other words at least if I was to go by my broader mmo forum etiquette experience, Saying I dislike or hate something and leaving it at that would be seen as a troll post. Were as stating I feel dev energy could be spent on anything else would be seen as acceptable feedback and a contribution to the discussion at hand.

I fully admit mya bove is basically an off topic post bordering on a full derailment, but it was only done so in an effort to educate and quell further back and forth.

On Topic, frankly I concur that the original design of various powers factored in their 2ndary effects as not a given to balance out their actual greater impact if able to be 100% relied upon. A good example is sapping. Sapping on blasters is notoriously unreliable but still something one can build a viable focus to do if one really ones at the cost of DPS. If one could 100% calculate their sapping powers and their success they could likely up their DPS and streamline their sapping power rotation.

I get that some people really hate random, especially the math guys who like to meta the game play to death. I just personally feel if they get their way, it takes away some of the surprise fun factor of things. I like being surprised by a KB effect on an attack that isnt a 100% chance to KB as an example. To me that is not just fun, but the way the game should be for everyone. I dont think being able to remove the RNG even with build choices improves the game so much as dumbs it down.

1 hour ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

I dont think being able to remove the RNG even with build choices

And I agree with you.

You'll note that at no point did I advocate for REMOVAL of the RNG ... all I advocated for was a means to introduce a BIAS factor into the RNG so as to improve the odds of success via modification ... not removal.

More reliable than before ... sure.

TOTAL reliability ... well, that depends on a multitude of factors ... including, I would note, level differentials affecting accuracy.

Meaning ... even if you can build your way to 100% proc chances versus a +0 $Target, it might perhaps be kind of difficult to achieve the exact same performance profile against a +4 $Target.

Possible?  Maybe.

Worthwhile?  Depends on what you need to sacrifice in order to achieve that.

Wise?!?  Well, that's a judgement call for individual Players to make, now isn't it?

Or to put it mildly ... ACTUAL gameplay might contain more possibilities than are dreamt of in your philosophy (or words to that effect).

• Like 1

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

9 hours ago, Wavicle said:

The OP suggestion allows you to build out of having to have any sacrifices.

Even with the biasing, this is my concern. Particularly on powers with 80%+ base chance already - a build will naturally get enough accuracy to see this weakness erased.

I'm glad y'all had your 3 page slugfest already, I'm not going to rehash any of that.

But this WOULD have huge, unintended distortions. 

Ok and that said, I still really think it's cool. I'd be all for rolling it to PB as suggested to see what it does to builds.

I'd also like to mention that I'm not sure I would tie it entirely to accuracy. It's certainly the easiest option, but I could see having it scale with knockback enhancements instead.

tl;dr: my mind see the same risks as Wavicle, but I still think it would be a cool idea to explore.

(And it's not my place to decide HC priorities so it's meaningless to bring up)

• Thanks 1

Tbh, any power with a >75% chance to proc already triggers basically every time anyways, especially if it can be fired rather quickly. In those examples, there really won't be much of a difference in performance if at all. Those ones are less a chance to occur and more a chance of it not to happen, which is weird IMO but oh well.