How to reorder you characters on the character selection screen

drakhan2002

(1) Completely exit the game

(2) Navigate to the folder where you installed CoH (e.g., C:\CoH)

(3) Navigate to the folder which your account name is listed (e.g., C:\CoH\accountname)

(4) Find the file named "playerslot.txt"; use a text editor to edit the file (e.g., Notepad)

(5) Now you can change the order of the characters.  Make sure you change the number at the end and that all you do not have any duplicate numbers.  Below is an example of how to modify the file:

"accountname" "Server" "Character1" "0"

"accountname" "Server" "Character2" "1"

"accountname" "Server" "Character3" "2"

"accountname" "Server" "Character4" "3"

"accountname" "Server" "Character5" "4"

Let's say I want to change the order so that Character5 is the second character listed...and Character2 is the fifth character listed.  You simply need to change the order of the characters, like so:

"accountname" "Server" "Character1" "0"

"accountname" "Server" "Character5" "1"

"accountname" "Server" "Character3" "2"

"accountname" "Server" "Character4" "3"

"accountname" "Server" "Character2" "4"

Make sure you spell your character name correctly...and make sure you do not repeat numbers.  Make sense?

(6) When completed, save the file and close it

(7) Launch the game to see the change...

• Thumbs Up 1

I could not figure out how to move characters between pages...so I started digging around the files and discovered I could easily modify the file to make the change.  Like most stuff in computers, there are multiple ways to accomplish the same end goal.

It's very, very easy to do in-game.

Assuming you want to move things one at a time, and that them switching places instead of actually re-ordering isn't a huge pain. But we have effectively infinite slots now. It's going to be a huge pain sometimes, for some players (me). If I had seen this last night, it would have saved me 20 minutes.

Bookmarked. Thanks!

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

• 1 month later

Does the drag and drop not work anymore? I remember that you used to be able to just drag and drop to reorder them but I'll admit I haven't tested it on Homecoming.

Drag and Drop doesn't work for me.  Characters move around at the time but reset every time I relog. 

For anyone having the same problem this thread is likely the answer you're looking for.

When I found this solution I didn't have the described account folders or playerslot.txt so I had to create them myself.  I formatted them as above with the quotations and it worked. The downside to this solution is that you've got to do it manually like this any time you want to reorder the screen in the future.

Drag and Drop doesn't work for me.  Characters move around at the time but reset every time I relog. 

One possible cause for this is accidentally installing the game into your “Program Files” directory, or some other protected or special folder.  That can make it so that the game has trouble saving certain bits of info that are held by the client instead of the server.

If this is the issue, you may be able to solve it by reinstalling the game into a different location, like your user folder.  If you move the files instead of reinstall the game it can theoretically work but you’d need to manually fix the permissions on the files after you move them, and I’m not sure of the details on that.  (Ie, is it only a matter of clearing readonly flags on a couple main items, or are there other smaller changes also needed that only have impact on more subtle features like options saving, bind files, etc.)

The only reason this should be happening is if you don't have full permissions of the installation folder or it's installed in a protected parent folder. It's heavily advised that it be installed in something like "C:/games/coh" as opposed to any of the "program files" or "My Documents" type folders.

• Thumbs Up 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

• 7 months later
  • 3 years later
On 3/4/2020 at 11:42 AM, Prototype said:

Just so that no other then me, has to have a "duh" Experience.

Remember Account name box should be checked off.

It did the trick for me.

This is not some "ah ha" thing, I still can't change the order of my toons via drag n' drop.

48 minutes ago, RobitusinY said:

This is not some "ah ha" thing, I still can't change the order of my toons via drag n' drop.

Hi and welcome!   

That is a bug then.  You should be able to drag your character around from slot to slot and page to page.  

However, there is still hope for you!  In your game files... go to your main game folder.  Then go to the Accounts folder.  You should see a folder with your login name.  Inside that folder is a Text Document named "playerslot" and you can open that up and reorder your characters by changing the number behind their name.  "0" (zero) is always the first toon in your list.  "1" will be the second, and etc....  They are listed in the order you created them, but again, just change the number behind them to the order you want.

Sometimes after manually rearranging like this, you can then drag and drop in the character screen.  I remember that happening to me ages ago when the game was live. 

• 3 weeks later