ToxinFox's Mostly-Marker Art

ToxinFox

On 1/16/2021 at 1:50 PM, ToxinFox said:

I'm penciling the new page today, guys. Wish me luck!

Very bestest of luck!

21 hours ago, ToxinFox said:

Got it inked last night! Just need to do colors and the Photoshop finishing work now. I'm also coloring another project (which I can't show off yet) at the same time, but it'll probably be done in a few days.

VEWtbwvC_o.gif

On 1/12/2021 at 2:17 PM, ToxinFox said:

I love all of you, and was genuinely thrilled to pop into the thread today and see all of this dialogue and speculation. It's very validating as an artist/storyteller. 

Some definitive answers to some of the questions I've seen thus far:

1. No, Nyx's cloak clasp hasn't changed, I just... had some issues with the markers this time around. (I AM terrible with maintaining continuity details, though, as anyone who's been keeping an eye on that graffiti'd red S has noticed.) Thank you for noticing and being delighted by the cast shadow from the fence-- people noticing little details like that makes doing elaborate backgrounds bearable.

2. Black Marrow is my invention, yes. I looked at the game Wiki to make sure I wasn't using any existing names, because I have a story arc idea that has nothing to do with any of the canon arcs in the game (that I know of). And Nyx is using a neutral 'them' because she's been gone for three years and doesn't know if this is a man or a woman she's looking for. (It's totally going to be a woman, though, because I think a female Skull boss will be cool.)

3. Yes, I am personally female. And, as a bonus, I've tried to cosplay Nyx a couple of times, with varying levels of success. I'd like to try again someday, but her costume is HARD.

/emote hugsToxinFox

Happy to hear it Fox. zb7XgP0P_o.png

I often wonder if I should start discussions

about story or art details, not every artist likes it.

1. Ah no worries then. I am honestly kind of torn between them. The "N" clasp is on brand and looks more distinctive but

might be a chore depending if it is a buckle or button through clasp. The "two halves" looks more like a quick

change friendly style clasp that could even be magnetic (like those reading glasses some have that

split in half but when you lift and bring them near they jump together easily and line up

correctly without even having to try and look down past your chin to align them first.

So Iconic Style vs Quick Change Convenience would be my take on it though she could just

have more than one cape/clasp style or just upgraded with some prompting from Serge at ICON (etc).

2. Theory confirmed! Achievement unlocked! Go Hunt Kil Lady Skullz!

3. Saw them over on DA and I think you did great with her costume.

The CoH belt buckle is worth extra awesome points. 07K1tHnz_o.png

P.S. While I am pointing out details I enjoy,

I love that the tail of the fox (in your avatar)

resembles a paint brush that is dripping paint. E9rkOkuW_o.gif

P.P.S. For anyone else craving more "Nyx Tales" between postings of the story

here I would point out the other 6-page mini comic which can be found here.

Fair warning though it ended a number of years ago on an abrupt cliff-hanger.

Edited by Christopher Robin
  • Like 5

Like the Costume Creator? Enjoy a challenge? Love to WIN?

You really should've clicked here before 6pm on Sunday the 18th!

07K1tHnz_o.png

And if folks would like a longer Nyx comic (which is also unfinished, sorry....) there's this one: Blindsided. 

https://www.deviantart.com/pointy-eared-fiend/gallery/45916058/blindsided-comic

Although I will warn everyone, it was created around the time the game officially shut down, so there are some..... Feels. I always felt so guilty for not finishing it, or even resolving the scene I stopped on, but I just couldn't anymore. It is LOADED with cameos, though. Almost every character in there belongs to an actual player. 

• Like 2

Imminent backstory implied! zb7XgP0P_o.png

Favorite details:

1. The underlit fire escape ladder.

2. What color is red brick at night? That color.

3. Despite earlier claims of bad continuity the most important

detail is present... that of course being the pizza contains pineapple. HmWYqjbR_o.gif

I do have one nit to pick though, the door chain as you have it drawn without a

closed end would slide right out of the locking slot when someone tried to open the door.

Not the best deterrent but hey maybe they gave her the apartment with the defective lock because

she's a hero and won't need it? Or maybe the superintendent is secretly a Skull?!??! Dun Da Duuuuuuuh!!!!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

07K1tHnz_o.png

Yeah... it's a terrible apartment in a terrible neighborhood, but Nyx is broke, and lives pretty sparsely anyway. Soon, when she's moved in and more comfortable with where everything is in her apartment, she won't even use the door -- she'll teleport in. 

In regards to the next page, it'll be the next day, and Nyx returns to City Hall to talk to Antonio Nash. Since I hate drawing generic background characters (because it means I have to come up with details and make them distinct and interesting, and still draw everything else), I'm opening this to everyone who reads this comic:  I need people milling around in the background. Anyone want a character cameo? If so, I need the following:

1. A screenshot or artwork of the character you want (they have to be someone who can legit be IN City hall, so villains are probably out...)

2. Some idea of what they're *doing* there. (Talking to a contact? Taking care of business at the counter? Chatting with another hero/civilian? Clinging to the ceiling and having a nervous breakdown? I will get creative if you don't give me some ideas. That's a threat.) 

I'd like to start this page in a day or two at the latest, so ideally I'd like these ideas by Tuesday. I'm flexible as long as the page is still in pencil form, but once it's inked, you're going to have to wait for the next page or two. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Sure I would love to be a cameo. zb7XgP0P_o.png

All of my characters are heroes but the most well known would

be most likely be either Brahn Fuhrnos or Xllusya.

My eponymous Christopher Robin, hero name Brahn Fuhrnos, is a Fire/SS/"Regen" tank, show off and natural quipster.

He would most likely be in City Hall chatting up City Rep. Something like asking her "Are you sure I don't

need a permit for these guns?" while doing the flex emote. Screenshot and art of him below.

daxijsu-c7b5f077-414d-4e05-9595-b1b5ce2c   d3iridp-7174bf12-0f21-4855-a7b2-58e51ba7   brahn_face_colored_by_christopherrobinar

Xllusya my goddess of Light and Illusion, an Ill/Emp defender, is rather stoic and not accustomed to the ways of mortal bureaucracy.

She would most likely be telling the SG registrar that it is unreasonable for her to have to pay a "pet tax" since

her "pets" are literally figments of her imagination. That or asking how exactly does one pay

for things with "influence and prestige?" In game screenshot and artz below.

db4lr10-2bd84974-c247-48f0-9e49-37586555   XduJZSsm_o.jpg   xllusya_by_anjasylvie_d4ndyz8-fullview.j

Click images for larger versions, other heroes available if these are not suitable for your purposes.

• Like 4

07K1tHnz_o.png

Not if I have anything to say about it Villain!

Sure there are rumors of a few Hellions inside City Hall doing some "translating

and stuff" for Azuria but I assure you they are likely just that, rumors.

(yes I am aware this is an obscure reference for most and an

actual current in game bug... I regret nothing rs4wmRnk_o.gif).

• Haha 4

07K1tHnz_o.png

On 1/23/2021 at 11:15 PM, Christopher Robin said:

Not if I have anything to say about it Villain!

Sure there are rumors of a few Hellions inside City Hall doing some "translating

and stuff" for Azuria but I assure you they are likely just that, rumors.

(yes I am aware this is an obscure reference for most and an

actual current in game bug... I regret nothing rs4wmRnk_o.gif).

We'll see about that... Hero!

((actually I have mostly heroes, with a few villainous ne'er do wells sprinkled in))

Captain Yarrrr?

and that is some pretty pretty art of your heroes Christopher!

I love this comic @ToxinFox keep it up!

Edited by Seen2BeGreen
improved banter?
  • Like 5

On 1/23/2021 at 8:14 PM, Christopher Robin said:

Click images for larger versions, other heroes available if these are not suitable for your purposes.

Those'll work just fine! And thank you for giving me some (reasonable, sane) ideas for what they're up to. No one wants me to get creative. (I mean, unless you do.)

And @Seen2BeGreen , if you would like Captain Yarrrr, drop me a screenshot or some art in here, and let me know what their business in City Hall is. 

• Thanks 1

Claudia Hopeshot (screenshots and artwork here) might be talking to Susan Davies or Derek Amberson or somebody about the Council and/or the 5th Column.

Or there might be Angel Tina (probably in the outfit seen here and here) discussing her SG. Given the group's silly name and her relative lack of responsibility, the clerk is probably somewhat annoyed.

• Like 2

On 1/24/2021 at 11:40 PM, ToxinFox said:

Those'll work just fine! And thank you for giving me some (reasonable, sane) ideas for what they're up to. No one wants me to get creative. (I mean, unless you do.)

And @Seen2BeGreen , if you would like Captain Yarrrr, drop me a screenshot or some art in here, and let me know what their business in City Hall is.

Great!

You're welcome.

I mean it's really up to you if you have something different in mind I just wanted to give you

some idea about the character's personalities. Brahn could just as easily be showing off in some way over

by Ms. Liberty if you need an outdoor shot rather than indoor. Xllusya does have a post in the SYAB thread if that helps.

I believe that comment was for me, Yarr is not her character it is the obscure reference I was making. 07K1tHnz_o.png

On 1/24/2021 at 2:34 PM, Seen2BeGreen said:

We'll see about that... Hero!

((actually I have mostly heroes, with a few villainous ne'er do wells sprinkled in))

Captain Yarrrr?

and that is some pretty pretty art of your heroes Christopher!

I love this comic @ToxinFox keep it up!

The only thing you'll be seeing is the inside of the Zig... Villain!

Lol yep it is a Captain Yarrrr reference, nice! It was a really short lived series but I thought it was quite funny and

who knows maybe she'll pick it up again now that we're back. If anyone has a YouTube account go holler

at her that Christopher Robin says the game is back and we need more tQoK episodes would ya.

There is a @lizzieizzie account here which is only 1 letter away from her YT (LizzieLizzie).

Thanks! I should give credit where due, the 2 first images are screenshots (obvi), the other two of Brahn

were drawn by me and the last was colored by Bobby Aquitania (RIP). The middle Xllusya

is by the talented Wernope and the last is by our very own Darth Delicious.

She's hiding around here somewhere and I am honestly amazed, being that she is such a fan

of this comic, she hasn't put her eponymous hero DD up to be a background character. I'll go poke her again.

On 1/25/2021 at 6:54 AM, Corlagon said:

Claudia Hopeshot (screenshots and artwork here) might be talking to Susan Davies or Derek Amberson or somebody about the Council and/or the 5th Column.

Or there might be Angel Tina (probably in the outfit seen here and here) discussing her SG. Given the group's silly name and her relative lack of responsibility, the clerk is probably somewhat annoyed.

Nice designs @Corlagon, I like Angel Tina's look. zb7XgP0P_o.png

it is improved ;-)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

07K1tHnz_o.png

16 hours ago, Christopher Robin said:

The only thing you'll be seeing is the inside of the Zig... Villain!

Lol yep it is a Captain Yarrrr reference, nice! It was a really short lived series but I thought it was quite funny and

who knows maybe she'll pick it up again now that we're back. If anyone has a YouTube account go holler

at her that Christopher Robin says the game is back and we need more tQoK episodes would ya.

There is a @lizzieizzie account here which is only 1 letter away from her YT (LizzieLizzie).

Yeah, for about 5 seconds... Hero! 

Thought so!

I am not in the google ecosystem so no youtube account here maybe someone else can?

@ToxinFox yeah sorry I should've been more specific. I don't have any characters here on homecoming yet I only just got here a few days ago by following a link Christopher left (THANK YOU FOR DOING THAT!) on DA. I am so happy to see the game back but I honestly don't know where to start. Do I make all new heroes? Do I try and remake the old ones? Do I even remember the old ones?

For now I am just lurking about the forums finding my way about. Sorry I don't have anything for your comic right now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Seen2BeGreen said:

I honestly don't know where to start. Do I make all new heroes? Do I try and remake the old ones?

I mean, I designed Nyx back in 2004, on the pre-beta forums, maxed her out as an Incarnate on live servers, and then remade her again on the Homecoming server, and brought her all the way back up to 50 again, so I may be biased in the realms of loyalty to old characters... 

But, like... you get HOW many character slots? Do both. Do whatever you want. And if you don't make it onto these next few pages as a cameo, there will be plenty more opportunities. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Seen2BeGreen said:

Yeah, for about 5 seconds... Hero! 

Thought so!

I am not in the google ecosystem so no youtube account here maybe someone else can?

@ToxinFox yeah sorry I should've been more specific. I don't have any characters here on homecoming yet I only just got here a few days ago by following a link Christopher left (THANK YOU FOR DOING THAT!) on DA. I am so happy to see the game back but I honestly don't know where to start. Do I make all new heroes? Do I try and remake the old ones? Do I even remember the old ones?

For now I am just lurking about the forums finding my way about. Sorry I don't have anything for your comic right now.

Oh yeah?!? Well... actually you're right that place leaks villains like a sieve.

Somebody should really plug up all those escape routes.

YOU'RE WELCOME FOR ME DOING THAT! 07K1tHnz_o.png

Seriously if anyone knows how to find LizzieLizzie go poke

at her and let her know the game is back if she doesn't already know.

No worries I try to tell everyone and I leave messages everywhere I see CoH artwork.

I know there is a much bigger art community that love this game than are here right now.

I at least want them to know this forum section exists. I played for years before I learned of it.

As for where to start, if you meant literally, like Fox says you got the slots. Go forth and do all of the above.

If you meant it in a "trying to start all over again is overwhelming" kind of way just shoot me a DA note or PM.

I am always happy to help new and returning players get their bearings back. I have several level one's already made so

I can go tool around Atlas, run some starter missions and whatnot. Don't be afraid to ask questions either, the community here

remains one of the most helpful. I've got starter influ to help get your roster going too, just pay it forward when you get more situated. zb7XgP0P_o.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

07K1tHnz_o.png

35 minutes ago, Christopher Robin said:

As for where to start, if you meant literally, like Fox says you got the slots. Go forth and do all of the above.

If you meant it in a "trying to start all over again is overwhelming" kind of way just shoot me a DA note or PM.

I am always happy to help new and returning players get their bearings back. I have several level one's already made so

I can go tool around Atlas, run some starter missions and whatnot. Don't be afraid to ask questions either, the community here

remains one of the most helpful. I've got starter influ to help get your roster going too, just pay it forward when you get more situated. zb7XgP0P_o.png

Both I guess? Thanks you guys and yes the community is one of the things I always loved about this game. 😊

• Like 3

Welcome Greeny! and he's not kidding people come out of the woodwork to offer help if you ask a question in game. It's great. Also CR gave me a bunch of influ and help when I got here, sucker! (j/k)

Speaking of helpful things thanks to CR I just so happen to have both artwork of my hero and quality screenies now mwhahahaha! Count me in ToxinFox if you can find space for him somewhere in the background here is my dual/devices blaster Grey Ming Badda Bing. Go ahead and use him however you see fit! :classic_biggrin:

Gray-Ming1 med.pngGray-Ming2 med.png

gray_ming_badda_bing_by_christopherrobingrey_ming_badda_bing_color_collab_2_by_c

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Sucker eh? 

You all heard him, he said "however you see fit," GET HIM FOX! HmWYqjbR_o.gif

I vote for him using superspeed and ending up face down in one of the plaza

pools or stuck to the underside of the Atlas statue's foot? So many fun possibilities.

How about getting slapped by the Pay2Win vendor for claiming her prices are outrageous? rs4wmRnk_o.gif

Lost a bet and has to wear a giant chicken costume to promote Up and Away Burger's 

chicken sandwich and 2 piece nugget meal (for a limited time just 4.99k influ!)?

Dangling by his cape hung up on one of the AP statues outstretched hands?

more hilarious options
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

07K1tHnz_o.png

I'm so happy that you can color properly again! Must be such a relief for you! tbh for us readers too 😉 )

I'll throw in DeeDee (short for DarthDelicious) in here. She's an archer with fire powers and has superspeed.
She would probably be talking to someone (CR's Brawn if he was there, as they know each other), or just stand on the side, looking over the place, keeping an watchful eye.
Keeping her distance and shooting arrows from afar as she's quite squishy 🙈
Here's the refsheet I usually use to send to artists: (click for larger size)
b499ab_9158c1cede1d4ec58c89c7142c128cbe~ 

If you need another male, I can throw in Mysterious Mike. (best friends with Dee)
His suit is a pain to draw though, but he wears tanktops too, so that's a good save 😉.
He would probably be jumping from building to building as he has the Superjump power unless he's punching Rikti or other scum :). 
He's a Willpowered Superstrength tank.
Again, the sheet I usually send to artists: (click for larger size)b499ab_76f9f7d55ac443a4927a4ee6521bdc64~

If color wise you're looking for Purple or Yellow, I can offer you Lucky Liam or Burn Mark (see signature).
I still have to make ref-sheets for them... oh dear... or proper screenshots even 😱

Edited by Darth Delicious
  • Like 2

DDLU21.jpg.d32d788cc9a9ad28e1d0bd53f83c1e5d.jpg