Fire Armor/Psi Melee, a happy marriage.

Sovera

I just leveled a Fire/Fire to try the Tanker changes and while I came out impressed and pleased (Tankers no longer an AT I wouldn't touch) there was something missing... After a bit of looking around and pondering the different sets I settled for Psi Melee and I have to say they really go well together.

- Psi Melee has a distinct lack of AoE until level 38, but 'lo, Burn fills that void from level 18 onwards.

- Fire Armor lacks more serious mitigation, but 'lo, Psi Melee comes with two fast recharging Knock-Ups plus -recharge (not that I really noticed that one much, but hey, it's there).

- Fire Armor is very offense minded and relies on Healing Flames, Consume, and Burn, and 'lo, both TK Blow and Mass Levitate take Force-Feedback procs that accelerate these.

- Psi Melee has a problem when it faces psi resistant mobs, but 'lo, Fiery Embrace empowered Burn helps mitigate that.

- Nice burst with Concentration + Fiery Embrace Mass Levitate followed by Burn.

The build didn't end too bad if I might say so. It uses Barrier to reach 45% S/L defense and that plus the Tanker ATO proc puts it at 90% to S/L/E/N/F. Natively 78% S/L and 70% E/N, but one stack of the Tanker proc + Barrier's 5% and S/L is capped, a second stack and E/N is capped as well, and these stacks come fast since they are in the damage aura and do not require being paid attention to.

It leaves a hole in Psi and Toxic (17% native, around ish 52% with all three stacks + Barrier) where the defense layer and offense comes in handy coupled with Healing Flames. I died -badly- to the War Riders in LGTF though, the Terrorize + End Drain is something the build has no protection to and having Breakfrees prepared for those fights is going to be the smart thing to do.

But the build is so resilient I throw it at an ITF +4 (before even getting the level shift) and it tanks the kheldian boss packs and any romans unlike any of my /Bio alts who needs to carefully tiptoe around them. Losing the defense layer to the debuffs simply isn't enough to dent the build when it has Healing flames and strong offense to kill things dead before they get too uppity.

Hasten ended at a pretty darn decent 129 seconds which the FF procs finish pushing to perma.

Now what I also did was heresy, and it was taking Psi Melee and not picking Great Psi Sword. Tests ran on a pylon showed it is not a big DPS increase (but it is great for burst) and I don't like long animations, furthermore I did not wish to play with CoH's antique UI and try to gauge when Insight was almost over to only use GPS at the last second (after all Insight is a damage buff and GPS consumes it), so we wouldn't want to use GPS too soon and lose Insight, but using too late and it does not get the Insight biggo boost. This is too much hassle for me considering I don't have addons such as in WoW to let me keep track of procs with easy icons and large numbers. If someone else wants to try this combo and take GPS I say go for it, but it was not what I wanted.

I feel like I overdid it a bit with the toggles. I was touch and go between Assault and Taunt. But I feel like Taunt is a crutch, and with the new Tanker numbers Assault is at a pretty decent 15% damage boost. With Accolades the build only has about 3.33 EPS not counting procs, but it does have Consume, and in my experience in a full team someone is always going to be popping Ageless anyway so unless soloing and fighting a single tough enemy then maybe Consume won't keep up. I made sure to slot it to work against this, but I'm sure for long fights against a single opponent without buffs the endurance will falter. Since I rarely do long solo fights against a single opponent this is not a serious consideration for me.

Electrifying Fences is meant to be a mule and not be used. We want mobs close to us.

If there is a desire for it I can put up a leveling build.

Spoiler

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Tanker
Primary Power Set: Fiery Aura
Secondary Power Set: Psionic Melee
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Mu Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Blazing Aura -- SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(A), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(3), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(3), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(5), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(5)
Level 1: Mental Strike -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Psi Blade -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(7), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(7), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(9), TchofDth-Dam%(11)
Level 4: Telekinetic Blow -- Hct-Dam%(A), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(13), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15), Hct-Acc/Rchg(15), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(17), FrcFdb-Rechg%(17)
Level 6: Healing Flames -- Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(A), Pnc-EndRdx/Rchg(19), Pnc-Heal/Rchg(19), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(21), Pnc-Heal(21)
Level 8: Fire Shield -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(23), UnbGrd-ResDam(23), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(25), UnbGrd-Max HP%(25), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(27)
Level 10: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 12: Plasma Shield -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(27), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(29), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(29)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(31)
Level 16: Psi Blade Sweep -- SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(31), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(31), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), Erd-%Dam(33)
Level 18: Burn -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(34), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), Erd-%Dam(36)
Level 20: Concentration -- GssSynFr--Build%(A), RechRdx-I(36), RctRtc-ToHit(37), RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(39)
Level 22: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(37), Rct-ResDam%(39)
Level 24: Afterburner -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 26: Consume -- PrfShf-EndMod/Acc/Rchg(A), EffAdp-EndMod/Acc/Rchg(39), PrfShf-EndMod/Rchg(50)
Level 28: Fiery Embrace -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(42)
Level 30: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(42)
Level 32: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 35: Electrifying Fences -- EnfOpr-Acc/Rchg(A), EnfOpr-EndRdx/Immob(37), EnfOpr-Acc/EndRdx(40), EnfOpr-Immob/Rng(40), EnfOpr-Acc/Immob/Rchg(40), EnfOpr-Acc/Immob(42)
Level 38: Mass Levitate -- Arm-Dam%(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(43), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), Arm-Acc/Rchg(43), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(45), FrcFdb-Rechg%(45)
Level 41: Ball Lightning -- Rgn-Knock%(A), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(45), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(46), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(46)
Level 44: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(48), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(48), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(48)
Level 47: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(50), LucoftheG-Def(50)
Level 49: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Gauntlet
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(11)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(13)
Level 0: Portal Jockey
Level 0: Task Force Commander
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon
------------

The leveling build I used. Same S/L defense and much much much cheaper so it can be used as an interim build too. It relies on the fact as we level we seldom go against higher than +1 but once at 50 and fighting +3 or higher it will be high whiffage time. I feel like the extra slots in Electrifying Fences might be better used in Stamina (four Performance Shifters) and Health (all three Recovery uniques) for extra endurance until reaching 50 and Accolades and people spamming Ageless mitigating endurance woes. The small loss in S/L defense can be compensated with the occasional purple.

Just like with the final build the power picks are made to be exemplar friendly all the way down to Posi 1, which is why Hasten and Concentration are taken so early. On the other hand the levels at which the slots are taken is not gospel. Just slot what you need first. For example only in my 40s did I end up slotting my shields and the heal, and until then I relied on purple insps bought at the base between each mission ( /macro_image "DayJob_Teleport" "TP Hub" "enterbasefrompasscode zone-8888" and look for the nurse). On the other I slotted my attacks right away.

Spoiler

Level 50 Magic Tanker

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Blazing Aura -- MghoftheT-Acc/Dmg(A), MghoftheT-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(3), MghoftheT-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(3), MghoftheT-Rchg/Res%(5), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(5)
Level 2: Psi Blade -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(7), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(7), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(9), TchofDth-Dam%(9)
Level 4: Telekinetic Blow -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(11), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(11), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(13), FrcFdb-Rechg%(13), TchofDth-Dam%(15)
Level 6: Healing Flames -- Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(A), Pnc-EndRdx/Rchg(15), Pnc-Heal/Rchg(17), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(17), Pnc-Heal(19)
Level 8: Fire Shield -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(19), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(21), UnbGrd-Max HP%(21), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(23)
Level 12: Plasma Shield -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(23), UnbGrd-ResDam(25), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(25), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(27)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(27), RechRdx-I(29)
Level 16: Psi Blade Sweep -- SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(29), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(31), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(31), Erd-%Dam(33)
Level 18: Burn -- GntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), GntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(33), GntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), GntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), GntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), Erd-%Dam(34)
Level 20: Concentration -- GssSynFr--Build%(A), RechRdx-I(36), RechRdx-I(36), RechRdx-I(36)
Level 22: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(37), Rct-ResDam%(37)
Level 26: Consume -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(37), RechRdx-I(39)
Level 28: Fiery Embrace -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(39), RechRdx-I(50)
Level 30: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(39), LucoftheG-Def(40)
Level 35: Electrifying Fences -- EnfOpr-Acc/Rchg(A), EnfOpr-EndRdx/Immob(40), EnfOpr-Acc/EndRdx(40), EnfOpr-Immob/Rng(42), EnfOpr-Acc/Immob/Rchg(42), EnfOpr-Acc/Immob(42)
Level 38: Mass Levitate -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(43), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(43), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(45), FrcFdb-Rechg%(45)
Level 41: Ball Lightning -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(45), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(46), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(46), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46)
Level 44: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(48), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(48), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(48)
Level 47: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(50), LucoftheG-Def(50)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
------------

Edited by Sovera
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Sovera said:

I just leveled a Fire/Fire to try the Tanker changes and while I came out impressed and pleased (Tankers no longer an AT I wouldn't touch) there was something missing... After a bit of looking around and pondering the different sets I settled for Psi Melee and I have to say they really go well together.

- Psi Melee has a distinct lack of AoE until level 38, but 'lo, Burn fills that void from level 18 onwards.

- Fire Armor lacks more serious mitigation, but 'lo, Psi Melee comes with two fast recharging Knock-Ups plus -recharge (not that I really noticed that one much, but hey, it's there).

- Fire Armor is very offense minded and relies on Healing Flames, Consume, and Burn, and 'lo, both TK Blow and Mass Levitate take Force-Feedback procs that accelerate these.

- Psi Melee has a problem when it faces psi resistant mobs, but 'lo, Fiery Embrace empowered Burn helps mitigate that.

The build didn't end too bad if I might say so. It uses Barrier to reach 45% S/L defense and that plus the Tanker ATO proc puts it at 90% to S/L/E/N/F. Natively 78% S/L and 70% E/N, but one stack of the Tanker proc + Barrier's 5% and S/L is capped, a second stack and E/N is capped as well, and these stacks come fast since they are in the damage aura and do not require being paid attention to.

It leaves a hole in Psi and Toxic (17% native, around ish 52% with all three stacks + Barrier) where the defense layer and offense comes in handy coupled with Healing Flames. I died -badly- to the War Riders in LGTF though, the Terrorize + End Drain is something the build has no protection to and having Breakfrees prepared for those fights is going to be the smart thing to do.

But the build is so resilient I throw it at an ITF +4 (before even getting the level shift) and it tanks the kheldian boss packs and any romans unlike any of my /Bio alts who needs to carefully tiptoe around them. Losing the defense layer to the debuffs simply isn't enough to dent the build when it has Healing flames and strong offense to kill things dead before they get too uppity.

Hasten ended at a pretty darn decent 129 seconds which the FF procs finish pushing to perma.

Now what I also did was heresy, and it was taking Psi Melee and not picking Great Psi Sword. Tests ran on a pylon showed it is not a big DPS increase (but it is great for burst) and I don't like long animations, furthermore I did not wish to play with CoH's antique UI and try to gauge when Insight was almost over to only use GPS at the last second (after all Insight is a damage buff and GPS consumes it), so we wouldn't want to use GPS too soon and lose Insight, but using too late and it does not get the Insight biggo boost. This is too much hassle for me considering I don't have addons such as in WoW to let me keep track of procs with easy icons and large numbers. If someone else wants to try this combo and take GPS I say go for it, but it was not what I wanted.

I feel like I overdid it a bit with the toggles. I was touch and go between Assault and Taunt. But I feel like Taunt is a crutch, and with the new Tanker numbers Assault is at a pretty decent 15% damage boost. With Accolades the build only has about 3.33 EPS not counting procs, but it does have Consume, and in my experience in a full team someone is always going to be popping Ageless anyway so unless soloing and fighting a single tough enemy then maybe Consume won't keep up. I made sure to slot it to work against this, but I'm sure for long fights against a single opponent without buffs the endurance will falter. Since I rarely do long solo fights against a single opponent this is not a serious consideration for me.

If there is a desire for it I can put up a leveling build.

Reveal hidden contents

Level 50 Magic Tanker

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Blazing Aura -- SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(A), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(3), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(3), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(5), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(5)
Level 2: Psi Blade -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(7), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(7), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(9), TchofDth-Dam%(11)
Level 4: Telekinetic Blow -- Hct-Dam%(A), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(13), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15), Hct-Acc/Rchg(15), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(17), FrcFdb-Rechg%(17)
Level 6: Healing Flames -- Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(A), Pnc-EndRdx/Rchg(19), Pnc-Heal/Rchg(19), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(21), Pnc-Heal(21)
Level 8: Fire Shield -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(23), UnbGrd-ResDam(23), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(25), UnbGrd-Max HP%(25), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(27)
Level 12: Plasma Shield -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(27), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(29), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(29)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(31)
Level 16: Psi Blade Sweep -- SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(31), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(31), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), Erd-%Dam(33)
Level 18: Burn -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(34), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), Erd-%Dam(36)
Level 20: Concentration -- GssSynFr--Build%(A), RechRdx-I(36), RctRtc-ToHit(37), RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(39)
Level 22: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(37), Rct-ResDam%(39)
Level 26: Consume -- PrfShf-EndMod/Acc/Rchg(A), EffAdp-EndMod/Acc/Rchg(39), PrfShf-EndMod/Rchg(50)
Level 28: Fiery Embrace -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(42)
Level 30: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(42)
Level 35: Electrifying Fences -- EnfOpr-Acc/Rchg(A), EnfOpr-EndRdx/Immob(37), EnfOpr-Acc/EndRdx(40), EnfOpr-Immob/Rng(40), EnfOpr-Acc/Immob/Rchg(40), EnfOpr-Acc/Immob(42)
Level 38: Mass Levitate -- Arm-Dam%(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(43), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), Arm-Acc/Rchg(43), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(45), FrcFdb-Rechg%(45)
Level 41: Ball Lightning -- Rgn-Knock%(A), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(45), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(46), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(46)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(11)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(13)
------------

That's a combo I've not ever considered.  The look alone color matching the aura with the psi attacks would be awesome.

Then functional AOEs, insight, fiery embrace, solid ST in GPB.

Dang it, I'm going to have to roll one now.

14 minutes ago, Infinitum said:

That's a combo I've not ever considered.  The look alone color matching the aura with the psi attacks would be awesome.

Then functional AOEs, insight, fiery embrace, solid ST in GPB.

Dang it, I'm going to have to roll one now.

Psi colored flame goes extremely well with FA, yeah. It has a flamey look all by itself

On 2/21/2020 at 4:26 PM, Sovera said:

I built this combo as a scrapper a long time back, and for mostly the same reasons. I might have to look at turning it into a tanker when I get my current projects finished...

@Cutter

So many alts, so little time...

You may not need this, but one thing I like to do on my fire armor builds is strive for close to immunity to recharge debuffs. An aggressive fire armor that can't be slowed or have its heal delayed is very difficult to drop. It tends to make the psi hole a much smaller issue. 

6 minutes ago, Frosticus said:

You may not need this, but one thing I like to do on my fire armor builds is strive for close to immunity to recharge debuffs. An aggressive fire armor that can't be slowed or have its heal delayed is very difficult to drop. It tends to make the psi hole a much smaller issue. 

I've noticed the slows, yeah, not to the point they were more than an annoyance (except with the war riders), but definitely not a thing any of my /Bios was ever aware of 😄

3 minutes ago, Generator said:

@Cutter, I did the same thing, got a Scrapper well up into the 30s.  Good times.  Might have to look at a Tanker version.

@Frosticus, besides the Winter IOs that grant Slow Resist, what else do you use to make that happen?

The tanker is definitely the superior version because of Burn not making mobs flee. That said I miss Scrapper crits once I'm done slapping AoEs errywhere.

Edited by Sovera

1 hour ago, Generator said:

@Cutter, I did the same thing, got a Scrapper well up into the 30s.  Good times.  Might have to look at a Tanker version.

@Frosticus, besides the Winter IOs that grant Slow Resist, what else do you use to make that happen?

there is also the winter travel set with a 20% IO.

and temperature protection gives 20%

agless radial at its lowest is 21%?

4 hours ago, Sovera said:

The tanker is definitely the superior version because of Burn not making mobs flee. That said I miss Scrapper crits once I'm done slapping AoEs errywhere.

Yeah that's the trade-off, isn't it? But my scrapper has been on hold in the 30s since forever, and I've been on a serious tanker run (3 50s, and another half dozen in progress), so that preference might be the deciding factor.

@Cutter

So many alts, so little time...