- RES powers

bentlax33

Hey all, 

I was playing around with Mids and was wondering are there any current (or archived) threads about the effectiveness of -res powers?  I've been searching a bit and can't really find anything good on the maths....especially against AV's?  I feel like AV's heavily resisted -res and shortened the duration of it? but that's from my memory of like 7yrs ago.   I remember there being discussion around it on the old pylon threads...

I also remember that resistance...resists -res ???  Any old guides floating around on -res in general?

I'm thinking of rolling a Bane Spider and they can stack alot of -res....

Edited by bentlax33

You're right that resistance resists resistable resistance debuffs; Paragon Wiki has an example of this, wherein a Tank with 45 Lethal Resist and 20 Energy Resist gets hit with a -22.5 Resist All, leaving them with 32.625 Lethal Resistance and 2 Energy Resistance.

Here's where I diverge from PW; either I am THAT bad at math, or their formula is formatted incorrectly, but this is how *I* get the numbers they arrive at:

NewResistance = OriginalResistance - (DebuffAmount - ((DebuffAmount * OriginalResistance) / 100))

In their example, that goes:

X = 45 - (22.5 - ((22.5 * 45) / 100))

X = 45 - (22.5 - 10.125)

X = 45 - 12.375

X = 32.625  for resulting Lethal Resistance

And

Y = 20 - (22.5 - ((22.5 * 20) / 100))

Y = 20 - (22.5 - 4.5)

Y = 20 - 18

Y = 2 for resulting Energy Resistance

They go on to say that an attack for 100 Lethal would have only hit the Tank for 55 damage before the debuff, but now hits it for 67.375 damage, or, 22.5 percent more damage.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Those of you who continue to profess a belief in the Users will receive the standard, substandard training which will result in your eventual elimination.
That will be all.

Keep in mind that the base value of any debuff is affected by the purple patch before any resistances are applied which makes debuffs less and less useful against higher-level-than-you enemies.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

While I am thinking about it... I know -Res doesn't stack from the same source, but, is that "same source" as in "Player X's copy of PowerName" or is that any -Res from Player X, period?

Reason I ask, I have a Fire/Poison controller with some -Res built into the secondary, and the opportunity to put -Res procs throughout the build (Hot Feet takes Annihilation, Poison Trap takes Gladiator, Cinders takes eh, a -Res proc, and there are a couple places to stick Achilles' Heel as well.)

Anyway, with all the potential for -Res from so many sources, does that all add up in a stack, or does each effect replace the last?

Those of you who continue to profess a belief in the Users will receive the standard, substandard training which will result in your eventual elimination.
That will be all.

5 minutes ago, roleki said:

While I am thinking about it... I know -Res doesn't stack from the same source, but, is that "same source" as in "Player X's copy of PowerName" or is that any -Res from Player X, period?

Reason I ask, I have a Fire/Poison controller with some -Res built into the secondary, and the opportunity to put -Res procs throughout the build (Hot Feet takes Annihilation, Poison Trap takes Gladiator, Cinders takes eh, a -Res proc, and there are a couple places to stick Achilles' Heel as well.)

Anyway, with all the potential for -Res from so many sources, does that all add up in a stack, or does each effect replace the last?

It's "Player X's copy of PowerName", however, multiple Achilles' Heel procs are considered the same power and you can never have more than one in effect. Not sure whether the Annihilation or Gladiator proc stacks with Achilles' Heel, but all of them will stack with Envenom and Venemous Gas (which stack with each other).

• Thanks 1

Thank you for clarifying; I'll have to invest in a Power Analyzer and see what's happening with the other -Res procs. 

That will be all.

On 3/3/2020 at 5:00 PM, Uun said:

Other than damage resistance resisting resistance debuffs, AVs have no innate resistance to resistance debuffs.

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Archvillain_Resistance

On 3/3/2020 at 5:49 PM, Bill Z Bubba said:

I always loved these threads just for the alliteration.

Technically, this means Tyrant himself has no innate resistance to resistance debuffs, but his resistance resists the Resistance's resistable resistance debuffs.

(I couldn't resist!)

Edited by Sailboat
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ShardWarrior said:

Wow try saying this ten times fast! 😋

Two.  I can say it exactly twice.

That will be all.