The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

High Ping

Sebastian

200-800 ping with spikes as high as 2k on all servers.

Ping tests show consistent ping of 500 to all homecoming servers, despite 40mbs connection.

Cant think of any reasons for this, other MMO's and online games do not give me any problems, any idea's?

I am in Uk and have tried all servers.

Youd think the Eu one's would be best but theyre all similar in poor performance.

image.png

Edited by Sebastian

I'm no expert, but I think the Homecoming  servers are in Canada.  Like, all of them.  If that's true, then the EU one is EU in name only, so ppl with similar playtimes can group together more effectively.  If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me shortly. lol. 

4 minutes ago, wolfshadow31 said:

I'm no expert, but I think the Homecoming  servers are in Canada.  Like, all of them.  If that's true, then the EU one is EU in name only, so ppl with similar playtimes can group together more effectively.  If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me shortly. lol. 

All but Reunion, which is in Germany IIRC.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Apparition said:

All but Reunion, which is in Germany IIRC.

You recall correctly.
" Reunion Halcyon will be renamed to 'Reunion (EU)' and will be hosted in Frankfurt, Germany, instead of in Canada with the rest of the shards. "

As for the OP's problem.... I'm at a loss.  If other games aren't having this issue and CoH is having it whether connecting to the Canada or Germany server.....

My GUESS would be that some game-specific setting is set wrong.  Either in the CoH client or.....  if you're using an OS that let's you specify settings for individual apps.  I know how to do that in Windows, but not through a launcher like Tequila.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

I get occasional spikes of lag, but then I'm also on a cable network so neighborhood traffic can affect my local performance pretty easily.  And sometimes the company has their own glitches which can force me to reset my modem as well.  I've gone from 200mbps to 5 and back again in 24 hours.

Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

They called me crazy? They called me insane? THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

It has happened to others as well (myself included). Have been hoping that the optimizations being done by the Homecoming team would help.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

At this point, probably the best option is to run traceroutes to a couple CoH servers, to see where the latency shoots up.

I'd guess that pingserverstatus.com is doing something like a web request in your browser, to get the latency from "your current location", which would rule out it being the client / server software themselves. Seeing as it apparently happens for both NA and EU-based servers, it seems rather odd, so figuring out what for you is common between the two should help in isolating the problem.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sif said:

At this point, probably the best option is to run traceroutes to a couple CoH servers, to see where the latency shoots up.

I'd guess that pingserverstatus.com is doing something like a web request in your browser, to get the latency from "your current location", which would rule out it being the client / server software themselves. Seeing as it apparently happens for both NA and EU-based servers, it seems rather odd, so figuring out what for you is common between the two should help in isolating the problem.

how do i run traceroutes mate?