TW: /Invuln or /WP?

King Kog

TW: /Invuln or /WP?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which secondary should I pick for my new TW Brute? I've narrowed it down to 2 choices, with my notes in the post below.

• Invuln
    • WP

Edit: Thanks to the 8-0 victory on the poll, as well as playing both up to 30ish, I've decided to go /WP! The end drain on TW is unreal even with quick recovery.
Hello forums!

I was going through my character list and noticed that I didn't have a Brute!
And I don't have any character using a weapon!

68628732_ScreenShot2020-03-18at8_33_28AM.thumb.png.e029dc6800d00011bc98e897b00d80ee.png

Thus, Junkhammer was born. Just a guy who runs a junk heap that was tired of having Freaks and other enemy groups filching his goods. He built himself a hammer out of a turbine he had laying around, and a quick-and-dirty exoskeleton (with rocket gloves) so he could actually lift and swing the thing.

However! I want to take him to the endgame w/IO's (eventually), and really can't decide on the secondary.
I've leveled up a TW/Invuln and TW/WP to ~20 now, but they both seem like they'll be good?

I might farm once in a while on him, but he won't be a dedicated farmer. I plan to play through regular content, and maybe do some iTrials later.
I don't want to base the build on incarnates, except perhaps an Alpha.

I want to build him to be as tanky as possible without giving up too much DPS. (Instead of deeps first, tanky second)

Invuln:
Pros:

• Top tier S/L, and excellent F/C/N/E with sets?
  • I don't have my own "Superman" style invuln character yet, and kind of want one (though less cookie cutter)
  • Better DDR than WP
  • More Max HP than WP

Cons:

• Not sure if it makes sense for a regular human to be "Invulnerable"
  • Psi hole?
  • End heavy

Additional Notes:
I can expect that TW/Invuln will be a monstrous end hog. However, with the various procs and my current plan to slot a bunch of impervium armors to plug the psi hole, I figure end won't be too much of an issue endgame. Feeding 2 birds with one scone kind of tickles my fancy too. However, I'm not sure if I want to spent ~25 slots on 6 slotting resists to achieve that? 

WP:
Pros:

• Good all-rounder set
  • Thematically makes more sense for the character
  • Much better sustain through RttC
  • No potential momentum loss through clicking Dull Pain, and I may forego hasten and focus on some recharge bonuses/alpha so I never have to worry about clicking anything but attacks
  • Much better end management
  • 2 skippable powers (where I'd only want to skip one with invuln)

Cons:

• Less max HP than Invuln
  • Less S/L/F/C/N/E resists than Invuln
  • Kind of boring? Maybe?

Let me know what you think, and if any of my above assumptions are wrong!

Edited by Jono265
Decided to go /WP

WP doesn't have a click power to break up Momentum so that's where I would lean. Outside of how every powerset has a weakness, I find my /wp brute rather sturdy and it is early in their level 50 journey.  

• Like 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

Less

4 hours ago, Jono265 said:

Cons:

• Less max HP than Invuln
  • Less S/L/F/C/N/E resists than Invuln
  • Kind of boring? Maybe?

With set you are at s/l cap, easily, ans less other, ok but a huge regen ! It cover f/c/e/n ans toxic/psy...

6 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

The "psi hole" is overstated.

Un-alloyed psi is fairly rare.

And it's not terribly end-heavy.  ESPECIALLY if you get your accolades.

Maybe I'm just sensitive since my Ice tank got shredded pretty handily the other day by some psi-slinging praetorians...

Willpower won't tempt you to interrupt your momentum-enhanced attack chain, and has two good candidates for skippable powers: Resurgence and Strength of Will, which will make it easier to take more Titan Weapon attacks.

Either way, have fun! The sound that Arc of Destruction makes when it hits a whole crowd is like a truckload of washing machines dumped on a concrete slab.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jono265 said:

Maybe I'm just sensitive since my Ice tank got shredded pretty handily the other day by some psi-slinging praetorians...

I'd have to see your build before I pass judgement.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

I'd vote WP because of Quick Recovery.  TW is horrible on END

I'd vote Scrapper over Brute - TW is just that much more awesomer on Scrappers 

Hyperstrike is right about the Psi hole though.   Invul and EA - two notable Psi Hole sets are really solid in my experience. 

• Thanks 1

My vote is Willpower.

Taunt aura before level 28

Not needy

Psi dmg is a threat at high levels

Defensive Sweep will get you to melee softcap pretty easy, so IO for ranged defense and good to go

IOs/tough can easily get you to Invul's s/l territory

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

I'd have to see your build before I pass judgement.

No sets on that tank yet, and went Ice mastery for thematic reasons.

I was just worried that (if I don't build for it) other tanks with non-positional defense would suffer a similar fate.

On 3/18/2020 at 5:07 PM, BZRKR said:

Willpower won't tempt you to interrupt your momentum-enhanced attack chain, and has two good candidates for skippable powers: Resurgence and Strength of Will, which will make it easier to take more Titan Weapon attacks.

Either way, have fun! The sound that Arc of Destruction makes when it hits a whole crowd is like a truckload of washing machines dumped on a concrete slab.

This.

/WP passive play = concentrate on momentum and positioning to stay alive and max damage

Also the delayed sound and knock of whirlwind is anime-like awesome.  Hit so hard/fast that there's a delayed reaction from enemies

• Thanks 1