I Hate Anchor Playstyle...

Herotu

As the title says, I hate the playstyle of dumping an anchor on a foe. These skills recharge SUPER SLOWLY, and I need to refresh the anchor so often because mostly the foe is dead quickly. 

I'm someone who values efficiency, so in my mind it is a huge waste to put this precious effect on an enemy and that enemy to die quickly. 

So that's why I don't like Anchor playstyle. "I don't care what you don't like", I hear you say, and that's fair enough, crack on.  What I wonder, though, is, and finally I get to the point (too late);

What Controllery powersets should I consider if I don't want to use Anchors? (should I just skip those powers, will I be looked down upon by my peers?)

By "anchor" do you mean a hold? Or, rather, hold/stun/sleep/immobilize. If so, then you might go Illusion. It is probably the control set that has the least holds. In place of that it has Phantom Army and deceive, both of which I find cooler than most holds. Fire is also one that his less about holds and more about just straight up damage.

But, if you don't like using holds you might try something like a blaster, dominator or corrupter, because none of them have to worry about setting up containment for the extra damage.

No. An Anchor skill is a debuff that sits on one enemy and affects enemies around them.

it's the main reason I don't like Controllers in general, but I'd like to get over that hurdle.

Edited by Herotu

My Gravity/Time build does not anchor to $Targets at all, and what anchors are in there are to locations rather than to $Targets.

Mind Control has a single anchor power (Telekinesis) that can be easily (and is often) skipped.  Everything else in Mind Control is Click attack powers on $Targets.

Mind/Kinetics can be a real roller coaster of a build to play.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

Ok just so you are aware:  anchors don't work like they did before the game shutdown.  Anchors now stay working on dead mobs until the bodies disappear.  Surrounding mobs are still affected by the debuffs.  You do not have to re-anchor until the next group typically, which you have to do with most powers for any class anyway that aren't anchor powers.

• Like 2

image.png.440bd3ba66421192ca1fb954c5d313c2.pngspacer.pngFlint Eastwood

Anchor powers are most valuable on hard targets like AVs.  They were constantly proving their worth over the last week, when Kahn/Barracuda were the weekly targets. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

I'd love to see the activation of some toggles reduced.  3+ seconds feels like an eternity when mobs die so quickly.  It feels particularly bad on a rad when you may be throwing out two toggles.  The change to allow the toggle to remain up on a defeated target is a wonderful boon, but I almost wish they had been changed to a location based toggle as we seen in Nature Affinity.  Not wasting a moment on selecting a sturdier target might alleviate some of the frustration.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JayboH said:

Ok just so you are aware:  anchors don't work like they did before the game shutdown.  Anchors now stay working on dead mobs until the bodies disappear.  Surrounding mobs are still affected by the debuffs.  You do not have to re-anchor until the next group typically, which you have to do with most powers for any class anyway that aren't anchor powers.

THanks for this, I didn't know that! 😄 Great news.

40 minutes ago, SaddestGhost said:

I'd love to see the activation of some toggles reduced.  3+ seconds feels like an eternity when mobs die so quickly.  It feels particularly bad on a rad when you may be throwing out two toggles.  The change to allow the toggle to remain up on a defeated target is a wonderful boon, but I almost wish they had been changed to a location based toggle as we seen in Nature Affinity.  Not wasting a moment on selecting a sturdier target might alleviate some of the frustration.

I can't argue with that.

15 minutes ago, JayboH said:

Infection's activation is the real outlier, and yes it should be shorter IMO. 

Darkest Night is another that is 3+ seconds to activate.  Though it looks like the version Tanks get in their PPP's might have a shorter activation already.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later
On 3/22/2020 at 6:35 PM, JayboH said:

OHHH...

I never knew that...

On 3/22/2020 at 5:35 PM, JayboH said:

Ok just so you are aware:  anchors don't work like they did before the game shutdown.  Anchors now stay working on dead mobs until the bodies disappear.  Surrounding mobs are still affected by the debuffs.

Telekinesis in Mind Control is a notable exception to this, since Telekinesis detoggles the instant the anchor is defeated.

So far, Telekinesis appears to be the only known exception.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

On 4/18/2020 at 11:19 PM, Redlynne said:

Telekinesis in Mind Control is a notable exception to this, since Telekinesis detoggles the instant the anchor is defeated.

So far, Telekinesis appears to be the only known exception.

Yeah that's a bit different mechanically anyway.

image.png.440bd3ba66421192ca1fb954c5d313c2.pngspacer.pngFlint Eastwood