Clear Mind (Empathy) splash application

troya

Hello- first time poster, recent lurker, and refugee from years ago here. Super glad to be back in action in the game I love!

I did a search in this forum and don't think this has been requested. I think that Clear Mind should be applied with the same splash effect that other sets use to apply their buffs. Take Kinetics for example... if the buffer applies Speed Boost to a nearby teammate, all teammates standing nearby the target get splashed receive the buff. This is helpful as it dramatically cuts down on the time needed to cast this buff around the whole team. I can't think of a game breaking reason why Empaths should have to apply this individually vs applying via splash. 

Thanks!

Troya

I found the AOE splash buffs kind of annoying when they came out, honestly, but eh, they're here regardless of my preferences. (They made playing a Bot/FF MM even *more* boring, if that was possible...)

That said, I don't think CM would get that - I don't think ID from Kinetics did, either, when SB got turned into an AOE. I *suspect* (purely guesswork) it's because it's status protection. Unlike shields (which still have a chance to hit,) status protection just lets players ignore most control effects - which can be fairly powerful. My *guess* is that that'll be what keeps it a single-target buff. (Granted it doesn't take long to recharge.)

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I swear I don't remember seeing ID splash. And I've run Kins and run with Kins recently, too. Huh.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Personally would have like "splash buffs" to be a perk for Defenders and Corruptors only with Defenders having the maxed range while the Corruptor having the "still gotta huddle or need to toss out a few nets to get everyone" but it's whatever.  Now, if you're making buffs AoEs you probably need to take into consideration balance and set goals.

Does Increased Density hit multiple allies at once?

6 minutes ago, Naraka said:

Personally would have like "splash buffs" to be a perk for Defenders and Corruptors only with Defenders having the maxed range while the Corruptor having the "still gotta huddle or need to toss out a few nets to get everyone" but it's whatever.  Now, if you're making buffs AoEs you probably need to take into consideration balance and set goals.

Does Increased Density hit multiple allies at once?

Why only Defenders?

12 minutes ago, Blackfeather said:

Why only Defenders?

Well it wouldn't only be Defenders.  It'd be Defender and Corruptors namely because they are the ATs that rely on it for self support so convenience is also a means of self support.  ATs like Controllers and MMs have pets and control powers to support themselves so the convenience is namely to appease team members and those that don't like to click things.  It also keeps niches separate.  As is, a Controller is more mitigation and support than a Defender namely because a Controller can tank, debuff and support (they even have damage with conditions).

But as is, convenience is being doled out to the detriment of niche role definition.  For example of extremes, what if all these types of buffs were made splash buffs for everyone (things like pool buffs) to the point that more people started taking them and stacking them?  It underminds taking an AT meant to perform that task.  On the opposite end of the spectrum, imagine if Leadership toggles were suppressed on non-support ATs/SoA in some way so it doesn't hit as many allies or at such a long range...you might not end up with everyone running maneuvers and stacking it to get the equivalent of a FF Controller's shields.

Not saying that buffs on non-buff ATs need to be made crappier, but convenience should also be a consideration when balancing powers and ATs.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MTeague said:

Increase Density (Kinetics) does buff all teammates (but not you) in a single cast, if they're in range.  Just like Speed Boost.

I main a Mind/Kin, really sure on this one.

14 hours ago, Greycat said:

I swear I don't remember seeing ID splash. And I've run Kins and run with Kins recently, too. Huh.

Only the Smash/Energy resist applies to any entities that aren't the primary target. The mez protection, knockback protection, teleport protection, and slight movement debuff only apply to the primary target.

This isn't just a Clear Mind thing - every single-target ally mez protection power remained single-target when previously single-target buffs got the AoE treatment.

Edited by macskull
  • Like 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

28 minutes ago, macskull said:

Only the Smash/Energy resist applies to any entities that aren't the primary target. The mez protection, knockback protection, teleport protection, and slight movement debuff only apply to the primary target.

This isn't just a Clear Mind thing - every single-target ally mez protection power remained single-target when previously single-target buffs got the AoE treatment.

.... and here I thought I was giving mez protection to the squishies.  Aight, good to know. 

Maybe it should do a different color animation on primary vs secondary target then to clue us in that not everyone got all the effects.

I guess from here on out, I cast ID on the blasters/other controllers/defenders instead of assuming one cast on the tank is enough.

18 hours ago, MTeague said:

Increase Density (Kinetics) does buff all teammates (but not you) in a single cast, if they're in range.  Just like Speed Boost.

I main a Mind/Kin, really sure on this one.

Only the Resist splashes to teammates, the mez protection does not.

Currently no Mez Protection does this, so I suspect Clear Mind is not going to get the special treatment.

What this team needs is more Defenders

1 hour ago, Psyonico said:

Only the Resist splashes to teammates, the mez protection does not.

Currently no Mez Protection does this, so I suspect Clear Mind is not going to get the special treatment.

I wouldn't file it under never, at least when you look into other mez protection powers in other sets.

Faraday Cage from Electric Affinity is rather ridiculous if you consider it buffs resistance, benefits the user, has a low enough cooldown to be perma without slotting AND can be cast while mezzed.  Giving specifically Empathy and *maybe* Pain Domination AoE versions of mez protection that doesn't affect the user wouldn't be game breaking.  My main fear would be the prevalence of AoE buffs taking over that then makes sets with long recharge, long duration ST buffs obsolete and thus pushing every set into having PBAoE buffs that likely affect the user as well.

It really starts pushing not only powersets but ATs into a homogenized direction.

19 hours ago, Naraka said:

I wouldn't file it under never, at least when you look into other mez protection powers in other sets.

Faraday Cage from Electric Affinity is rather ridiculous if you consider it buffs resistance, benefits the user, has a low enough cooldown to be perma without slotting AND can be cast while mezzed.  Giving specifically Empathy and *maybe* Pain Domination AoE versions of mez protection that doesn't affect the user wouldn't be game breaking.  My main fear would be the prevalence of AoE buffs taking over that then makes sets with long recharge, long duration ST buffs obsolete and thus pushing every set into having PBAoE buffs that likely affect the user as well.

It really starts pushing not only powersets but ATs into a homogenized direction.

Difference being that people need to stay in a 25 foot radius for these buffs. Making the castable mez protections act like SB etc seems a bit OP to me.