Energy Blaster recommendation

Fatalplus

There doesn't seem to be a lot of love for Energy blasters, which is why I want to give it a try now!

Please recommend a secondary power set to go along with it and am appropriate build. 

Please keep in mind, I've never played a ranged character yet.

• Like 1

As an Energy blaster you'll need to learn to manage and control your knockback or teams will hate you.  This isn't a joke either, almost everything you do has a knockback built into it... shoot at a mob the Tank has under control, that mob goes flying out of range of the Tank forcing him to either pick it up again or ignore it as your problem.  Shoot a mob the Scrapper is pounding on, send it flying away and the Scrapper has to go running after it, which does not endear you to him.

I suggest flying above the action so your KB just knocks them into the ground.  I also suggest slotting KB-KD IO's as soon as you can.

I know there's players who swear by Energy blasters but frankly most players swear AT them instead and I'm one of them.  Strictly on a personal level the KB will tend to reduce the damage you take but it comes at the cost of disrupting the team.  Bad Energy blasters are at least as disruptive as bad Storm characters with all the scattering mobs and tossing them to the 4 winds.

Frankly as your first ranged build I'd suggest you pick another primary.  Fire is #1 in damage, both AOE and ST and most of the others work well.  Assault Rifle is dead last in all categories so I'd suggest skipping it also.

• Like 2

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

I have many hearts for my Energy/Energy blaster, but I just don't play him. I speed-levelled him to 50 and abandoned him before I even tried to trick him out with an endgame build - I guess it's because I don't see any builds on the forum (I'm really terrible with the Hero Designer and I don't want to blapper, so ...well, I didn't see any builds).

2 hours ago, Herotu said:

I have many hearts for my Energy/Energy blaster, but I just don't play him. I speed-levelled him to 50 and abandoned him before I even tried to trick him out with an endgame build - I guess it's because I don't see any builds on the forum (I'm really terrible with the Hero Designer and I don't want to blapper, so ...well, I didn't see any builds).

That's where I'm at. I found the Murder Bunny build and that looks like the most well thought out NRG/NRG build I've seen but I'd like to see more theorycraft.

• Like 1

I've posted my builds a few times.  I'm on the phone ATM, or else I'd post again.  Search for my posts and you'll find them.

• Thanks 2

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

There's a discussion on one approach here:

I'll make some general points.

First, KB on single target attacks is not a big deal. Normally you're either fighting AV/GM-type targets (who shrug off the knockback) or you're fighting minions/lieutenants/bosses that you're killing by yourself (and you don't care about KB because you're at range). KB on AE attacks is a big deal, so you want to reduce it to knockdown - otherwise you're going to be scattering spawns all over the place, making life difficult for everyone.

Second, Force Feedback is an enormous advantage of knockback, giving you a massive amount of 'free' recharge if you know how to slot it effectively. Likewise, you can get an additional Explosive Strike proc to ramp up damage. This allows some more creative slotting, which can yield more powerful heroes/villains despite using a technically 'inferior' Blast set.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Rathulfr said:

I've posted my builds a few times.  I'm on the phone ATM, or else I'd post again.  Search for my posts and you'll find them.

Thanks. :)

3 hours ago, Hjarki said:

There's a discussion on one approach here:

I'll make some general points.

First, KB on single target attacks is not a big deal. Normally you're either fighting AV/GM-type targets (who shrug off the knockback) or you're fighting minions/lieutenants/bosses that you're killing by yourself (and you don't care about KB because you're at range). KB on AE attacks is a big deal, so you want to reduce it to knockdown - otherwise you're going to be scattering spawns all over the place, making life difficult for everyone.

Second, Force Feedback is an enormous advantage of knockback, giving you a massive amount of 'free' recharge if you know how to slot it effectively. Likewise, you can get an additional Explosive Strike proc to ramp up damage. This allows some more creative slotting, which can yield more powerful heroes/villains despite using a technically 'inferior' Blast set.

Thanks. :)

On 4/6/2020 at 12:21 AM, Fatalplus said:

There doesn't seem to be a lot of love for Energy blasters, which is why I want to give it a try now!

Please recommend a secondary power set to go along with it and am appropriate build. 

Please keep in mind, I've never played a ranged character yet.

Here's my current build.  The main feature is that it's a purely ranged build -- no blapping.  I've soft-capped Ranged defense, and almost capped Smashing/Lethal.  This build also doesn't include Hasten, which some people insist is mandatory, but I don't think it's necessary.  At +81% recharge from set bonuses alone, my rotation cycles through efficiently without any down time.

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Rathstar NRGx2: Level 50 Science Blaster
Primary Power Set: Energy Blast
Secondary Power Set: Energy Manipulation
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Concealment
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Power Bolt -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(3), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(3), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(7)
Level 1: Power Thrust -- Acc-I(A)
Level 2: Power Blast -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(7), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(9), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(11)
Level 4: Build Up -- AdjTrg-ToHit(A), AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg(17), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx/Rchg(17), AdjTrg-EndRdx/Rchg(19), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx(19), AdjTrg-Rchg(21)
Level 6: Power Burst -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(21), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(23), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(23), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(25), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(25)
Level 8: Sniper Blast -- ExcCnt-Acc/Dmg(A), ExcCnt-Dmg/EndRdx(27), ExcCnt-Dmg/ActRdx(27), ExcCnt-Dmg/Rng(29), ExcCnt-Dmg/Rchg(29), ExcCnt-Stun%(31)
Level 10: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 12: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(31), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(31), Ksm-ToHit+(33)
Level 14: Stealth -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(33), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(33)
Level 16: Energize -- NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(A), NmnCnv-EndRdx/Rchg(34), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(34), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(34), NmnCnv-Heal(36), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(36)
Level 18: Maneuvers -- Rct-Def(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(39), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg(39), Rct-Def/Rchg(39), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(40), Rct-ResDam%(40)
Level 20: Tactics -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(43), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(43), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(45), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(45), GssSynFr--Build%(45)
Level 22: Kick -- Acc-I(A)
Level 24: Tough -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), ImpSki-Status(36), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(37)
Level 26: Explosive Blast -- OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg(A), OvrFrc-End/Rech(40), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End(42), OvrFrc-Dmg/End/Rech(42), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End/Rech(42), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(43)
Level 28: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(37), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(37)
Level 30: Aim -- RctRtc-ToHit(A), RctRtc-Pcptn(46), RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(46)
Level 32: Nova -- Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), Arm-Acc/Rchg(48), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(48), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(48), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(50)
Level 35: Scorpion Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(50), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(50)
Level 38: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 41: Power Boost -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 44: Afterburner -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 47: Invisibility -- ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(A)
Level 49: Vengeance -- ToHit-I(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Defiance 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Flight-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(13), Prv-Absorb%(13)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(15), PrfShf-EndMod/Rchg(15)
Level 50: Ion Core Final Judgement 
Level 50: Assault Core Embodiment 
Level 50: Clarion Core Epiphany 
Level 1: Quick Form 
Level 50: Agility Radial Paragon 
Level 50: Diamagnetic Radial Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Longbow Core Superior Ally 
------------

Edited by Rathulfr
  • Thanks 1

@Rathstar

Thank you SO much! This looks great.  As a total Blaster noob can you give me a run down on what the highlights of this build is?  What powers, sets, etc should I focus on first?

How necessary is the scorpion shield?  For theme (and ease) I wanted to take Force Mastery as my ancillary power pool.

• 2 weeks later
On 4/7/2020 at 9:33 AM, Fatalplus said:

Thank you SO much! This looks great.  As a total Blaster noob can you give me a run down on what the highlights of this build is?  What powers, sets, etc should I focus on first?

How necessary is the scorpion shield?  For theme (and ease) I wanted to take Force Mastery as my ancillary power pool.

The highlights of my build are that it works for me: your mileage may vary (YMMV).  I like blastin': just straight up shooting things in the face from a distance, until they're dead arrested.  I don't do anything from melee range except Nova.  Some folks like to mix it up with the melee attacks in the secondary, and there's definitely some good ones in Energy for that.  But that's not me.

My priority power picks are:

1. Both Power Bolt and Power Blast (T1 & T2) because these can be used while mezzed, and believe me, as a Blaster, you'll spend a lot of time mezzed.  Power Bolt may be weak, but it's better than standing there doing nothing, and it mules the full Thunderstrike IO set for ranged defense.
  2. Sniper Blast is the first attack in my regular rotation.  When fully slotted, it can usually one-shot most LTs and all minions.  If it doesn't one-shot, a quick follow up with Power Bolt is usually sufficient.
  3. Power Burst is the second attack in my regular rotation.  Fully slotted, it can often one-shot many minions.  If not, I follow it up with Power Blast to complete a solid one-two shot.
  4. Build Up is essential for maximizing damage output, especially for Sniper Blast at lower levels before it's fully slotted.  There's enough +ToHit in BU to skip Aim, especially after taking Tactics.
  5. So my regular single-target rotation usually goes like this:
    • Build Up (if recharged)
    • Sniper Blast
    • Power Bolt (if needed)
    • Power Burst
    • Power Blast (if needed)
    • Lather, rinse, repeat.
  6. Hover is the most important power pick after that.  Hover is the key to being a good ranged Energy Blaster, because it's your best tool for mitigating the unpredictable knockback.  You need it to maneuver so you can position yourself and your targets to make knockback work for your benefit, instead everyone else's detriment.  Most times, you want to get above your targets, especially for Explosive Blast and Nova, so that your knockback becomes a knockdown.  And staying at least 5 feet above/away from your targets means they can't attack you with melee, forcing them to use ranged attacks, which is your positional defense cap.  Hover also holds one of your Luck of the Gambler sets with +Global Recharge and Kismet 6% +ToHit (not Accuracy, which is a typo they should've fixed decades ago).
  7. Speaking of +ToHit... Tactics is my next priority, with the goal of trying maximize ToHit to the magic 97%, which permanently boosts the damage of Sniper Blast.  I actually have to boost all 4 of the +ToHit IOs in Tactics to +5 to reach 97.01% permanently.  Before 50, it's achieved with Build Up + Tactics.  
  8. The Fighting pool is next, for Tough and Weave.  Tough is needed to mule both of the resistance proc IOs that give 3% Defense each (6% total): Gladiator's Armor and Steadfast Protection.  I also slot the +MaxHP proc from Unbreakable Guard there. You do not need to turn on Tough to benefit from those procs, saving you the endurance cost.  Weave is there for defense and Luck of the Gambler.
  9. Scorpion Shield is essential for capping S/L/E typed defense.  Without re-hashing an entire article about how defense works, the point is that capping S/L counters most of the damage thrown by PVE mobs in the game.  Most mob attacks have either Smashing, Lethal, or both as a component of their attacks, along with at least one other type.  So if you counter S/L, you've got a 50-50 chance of countering the entire attack, because countering one type effectively counters the whole thing.  Now this isn't true of every attack, just many attacks.  So you're still going to be vulnerable to attacks without S/L/E, such as purely elemental (fire/cold) or psionic.  But that's just part of the game: you can't mitigate everything.  But you can mitigate a lot with Scorpion Shield.
  10. Endurance recovery is always forefront in my mind, especially on Energy Blasters, because they're end hogs, and because all my defense toggles continuously consume end.  I'm always trying to maintain a 3:1 ratio of recovery to consumption (at least), when idle with toggles on.  This makes the endurance recovery procs a top priority as well: get them slotted a.s.a.p.  As you level up, you'll use re-specs to move them around a bit as needed/acquired.  They are:
    • Miracle +Recovery
    • Panacea +HP/End
    • Performance Shifter +Chance for End
    • Numina's Convalescence +Regen/Recovery

My build includes Stealth for defense, and because I like being able to set up for Nova and to ghost glowie missions whenever possible, and to hold an LotG set.  If you don't care about Stealth, swap this out with Combat Jumping, which offers the same defense and costs a lot less endurance.  I usually take CJ instead of Stealth on other builds where I don't want/need Stealth.

Considering and writing this long reply made me review my build, so I tweaked it a bit more.  It's the same build, with a few slots shuffled around.  I've pasted it below, for reference.

Spoiler

Rathstar NRGx2: Level 50 Science Blaster
Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Power Bolt -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(3), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(3), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(7)
Level 1: Power Thrust -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(40), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(42), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42)
Level 2: Power Blast -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(7), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(9), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(11)
Level 4: Build Up -- AdjTrg-ToHit(A), AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg(17), AdjTrg-EndRdx/Rchg(17), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx/Rchg(19), AdjTrg-Rchg(19)
Level 6: Power Burst -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(21), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(23), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(23), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(25)
Level 8: Sniper Blast -- ExcCnt-Acc/Dmg(A), ExcCnt-Dmg/EndRdx(25), ExcCnt-Dmg/ActRdx(27), ExcCnt-Dmg/Rng(27), ExcCnt-Dmg/Rchg(29), ExcCnt-Stun%(29)
Level 10: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 12: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(31), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(31), Ksm-ToHit+(31)
Level 14: Stealth -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(33), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(33)
Level 16: Energize -- NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(A), NmnCnv-EndRdx/Rchg(33), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(34), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(34), NmnCnv-Heal(34), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(36)
Level 18: Maneuvers -- Rct-Def(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(36), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg(36), Rct-Def/Rchg(37), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(37), Rct-ResDam%(37)
Level 20: Tactics -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(39), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(39), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(39), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(40), GssSynFr--Build%(40)
Level 22: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 24: Tough -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(42), UnbGrd-Max HP%(43)
Level 26: Explosive Blast -- OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg(A), OvrFrc-End/Rech(43), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End(43), OvrFrc-Dmg/End/Rech(45), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End/Rech(45), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(45)
Level 28: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(46), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(46)
Level 30: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 32: Nova -- Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), Arm-Acc/Rchg(48), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(48), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(48), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(50)
Level 35: Scorpion Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(50), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(50)
Level 38: Afterburner -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 41: Power Boost -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 44: Aim -- RctRtc-Pcptn(A)
Level 47: Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 49: Vengeance -- ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Flight-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(13), Prv-Absorb%(13)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(15), PwrTrns-+Heal(15)
Level 50: Assault Core Embodiment 
Level 50: Agility Radial Paragon 
Level 50: Diamagnetic Radial Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Longbow Core Superior Ally 
------------

Edited by Rathulfr
  • Haha 1

@Rathstar

46 minutes ago, Rathulfr said:

Considering and writing this long reply made me review my build, so I tweaked it a bit more.

I have a very minor tweak suggestion.  Drop the pure Damage purple from Nova for the Proc, then +5 the Dmg/End to ED cap out the damage.

55 minutes ago, Caulderone said:

I have a very minor tweak suggestion.  Drop the pure Damage purple from Nova for the Proc, then +5 the Dmg/End to ED cap out the damage.

Thanks, but I don't want to lose the +10% Recharge set bonus, especially since I don't have Hasten in this build.

@Rathstar

Just now, Rathulfr said:

Thanks, but I don't want to lose the +10% Recharge set bonus, especially since I don't have Hasten in this build.

I think i phrased that badly.  Replace the Arma pure damage purple with the Arma damage proc purple.  You keep 5 of the set.  If you +5 the Dmg/End, you still ED cap the damage enhancement, plus you now have the proc damage.

1 hour ago, Galaxy Brain said:

Definitely put Force Feedbacks in:

Power Blast
Power Burst

Sniper Blast
Energy Torrent
Explosive Blast

Put a KB - KD into Nova

Put in tons of procs into your attacks

???

Profit 😎

I like the Force Feedback proc, but:

No: that would lose the set bonuses for defense.

No: I hate cones, so I don't ever take Energy Torrent.

Yes: it's already there.

No: I don't want to sacrifice set bonuses for gimmicks.

Thanks anyway. 😎

@Rathstar

24 minutes ago, Caulderone said:

I think i phrased that badly.  Replace the Arma pure damage purple with the Arma damage proc purple.  You keep 5 of the set.  If you +5 the Dmg/End, you still ED cap the damage enhancement, plus you now have the proc damage.

Oh, okay, that makes more sense.  Done!  Thanks!

Edited by Rathulfr

@Rathstar

15 minutes ago, Rathulfr said:

I like the Force Feedback proc, but:

No: I hate cones, so I don't ever take Energy Torrent.

Yes: it's already there.

No: I don't want to sacrifice set bonuses for gimmicks.

Thanks anyway. 😎

Eh, my Eng/Time has that basic core setup and rocks 320% rech and still has 35% Range def. Its not 45%, but its over the cap with just a purple / I rotate through high damage moves and knockbacks/downs so fast it rarely matters.

But that is the fun part about these builds, you can rock different things 😉 

Edited by Galaxy Brain
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Galaxy Brain said:

Eh, my Eng/Time has that basic core setup and rocks 320% rech and still has 35% Range def. Its not 45%, but its over the cap with just a purple / I rotate through high damage moves and knockbacks/downs so fast it rarely matters.

But that is the fun part about these builds, you can rock different things 😉 

Yeah, I'd rather have the defense than the recharge.  I find that too much recharge is often wasted, as it has diminishing returns and doesn't decrease cast time. 

I used to have Hasten and the Force Feedback proc in this build (at the expense of defense), and I found it only shaved about one (1) second off my rotation.  Sure, it was handy for recharging the boosts (Aim, BU, PB, BR), but I rarely use them so I just didn't see the value in it. 

I want more defense to survive crowds long enough to set off Nova effectively.  Stealth + Celerity helps, but it only goes so far.  So giving up uber-recharge seemed like it had more value, to me.

So yes, everyone can find their groove with different builds, which is why I love CoH over so many other MMOs.  You just don't get the same flexibility in builds with other MMOs.

@Rathstar

I've been tinkering with Rathulfr's build some trying to find something to make me happy.  It is a solid place to start.  I came up with a Ranged defense and S/L/E resist version that I'm quite liking.  Any opinions on how well it could work?

Spoiler

KB: Level 50 Science Blaster
Ancillary Pool: Mu Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Power Bolt -- Thn-Acc/Dmg:33(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx:33(3), Thn-Dmg/Rchg:33(3), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:33(5), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:33(5), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:33(7)
Level 1: Power Thrust -- CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(A)
Level 2: Power Blast -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg:50(A), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg:50(7), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(9), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(9), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(11), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect:50(11)
Level 4: Hover -- Ksm-ToHit+:10(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel:50(31), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx:33(31), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:33(43)
Level 6: Power Burst -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg:50(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg:50(19), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(21), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(21), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(23), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%:50(23)
Level 8: Sniper Blast -- ExcCnt-Acc/Dmg:33(A), ExcCnt-Dmg/EndRdx:33(19), ExcCnt-Dmg/ActRdx:33(25), ExcCnt-Dmg/Rng:33(27), ExcCnt-Dmg/Rchg:33(27), ExcCnt-Stun%:20(25)
Level 10: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx:10(A), BlsoftheZ-ResKB:50(50)
Level 12: Build Up -- AdjTrg-EndRdx/Rchg:33(A), AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg:33(17), AdjTrg-Rchg:50(17)
Level 14: Stealth -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx:33(A), LucoftheG-Def:33(33), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:33(33)
Level 16: Energize -- NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx:33(A), NmnCnv-EndRdx/Rchg:33(34), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg:33(34), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg:33(34), NmnCnv-Heal:33(36), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+:30(36)
Level 18: Maneuvers -- Rct-Def:33(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx:33(31), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg:33(39), Rct-Def/Rchg:33(39), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg:33(39), Rct-ResDam%:20(40)
Level 20: Tactics -- AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx/Rchg:33(A), AdjTrg-ToHit:33(29), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx:33(29)
Level 24: Tough -- GldArm-3defTpProc:10(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+:30(36)
Level 26: Explosive Blast -- OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg:33(A), OvrFrc-End/Rech:33(40), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End:33(42), OvrFrc-Dmg/End/Rech:33(42), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End/Rech:33(42), OvrFrc-Dam/KB:10(43)
Level 28: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:33(A), LucoftheG-Def:33(37), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx:33(37)
Level 30: Aim -- GssSynFr--ToHit:33(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg:33(45), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx:33(45), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx:33(45), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx:33(46), GssSynFr--Build%:33(46)
Level 32: Nova -- Arm-Dam%:50(A), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(33), Arm-Acc/Rchg:50(48), Arm-Dmg/Rchg:50(48), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx:50(48), SuddAcc--KB/+KD:21(46)
Level 35: Charged Armor -- TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx:50(A), TtnCtn-ResDam:50(37), TtnCtn-ResDam/Rchg:50(40), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg:50(50)
Level 38: Afterburner -- BlsoftheZ-Travel:50(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx:50(43)
Level 41: Assault -- EndRdx-I:50(A)
Level 44: Grant Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:25(A)
Level 47: Invisibility -- ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP:10(A)
Level 49: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:25(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth:15(A)
Level 2: Rest -- IntRdx-I:50(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Flight-I:35(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+:20(A), Pnc-Heal/+End:10(13), Prv-Absorb%:20(13)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I:35(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%:21(A), PrfShf-EndMod:50(15), PrfShf-EndMod/Rchg:33(15), PwrTrns-+Heal:21(50)
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
Level 0: Portal Jockey
Level 0: Task Force Commander
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon
Level 50: Degenerative Core Flawless Interface
Level 50: Assault Radial Embodiment
------------

1 hour ago, Caulderone said:

I've been tinkering with Rathulfr's build some trying to find something to make me happy.  It is a solid place to start.  I came up with a Ranged defense and S/L/E resist version that I'm quite liking.  Any opinions on how well it could work?

Reveal hidden contents

KB: Level 50 Science Blaster
Ancillary Pool: Mu Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Power Bolt -- Thn-Acc/Dmg:33(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx:33(3), Thn-Dmg/Rchg:33(3), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:33(5), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:33(5), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:33(7)
Level 1: Power Thrust -- CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(A)
Level 2: Power Blast -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg:50(A), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg:50(7), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(9), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(9), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(11), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect:50(11)
Level 4: Hover -- Ksm-ToHit+:10(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel:50(31), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx:33(31), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:33(43)
Level 6: Power Burst -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg:50(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg:50(19), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(21), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(21), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(23), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%:50(23)
Level 8: Sniper Blast -- ExcCnt-Acc/Dmg:33(A), ExcCnt-Dmg/EndRdx:33(19), ExcCnt-Dmg/ActRdx:33(25), ExcCnt-Dmg/Rng:33(27), ExcCnt-Dmg/Rchg:33(27), ExcCnt-Stun%:20(25)
Level 10: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx:10(A), BlsoftheZ-ResKB:50(50)
Level 12: Build Up -- AdjTrg-EndRdx/Rchg:33(A), AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg:33(17), AdjTrg-Rchg:50(17)
Level 14: Stealth -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx:33(A), LucoftheG-Def:33(33), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:33(33)
Level 16: Energize -- NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx:33(A), NmnCnv-EndRdx/Rchg:33(34), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg:33(34), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg:33(34), NmnCnv-Heal:33(36), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+:30(36)
Level 18: Maneuvers -- Rct-Def:33(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx:33(31), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg:33(39), Rct-Def/Rchg:33(39), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg:33(39), Rct-ResDam%:20(40)
Level 20: Tactics -- AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx/Rchg:33(A), AdjTrg-ToHit:33(29), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx:33(29)
Level 24: Tough -- GldArm-3defTpProc:10(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+:30(36)
Level 26: Explosive Blast -- OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg:33(A), OvrFrc-End/Rech:33(40), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End:33(42), OvrFrc-Dmg/End/Rech:33(42), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End/Rech:33(42), OvrFrc-Dam/KB:10(43)
Level 28: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:33(A), LucoftheG-Def:33(37), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx:33(37)
Level 30: Aim -- GssSynFr--ToHit:33(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg:33(45), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx:33(45), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx:33(45), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx:33(46), GssSynFr--Build%:33(46)
Level 32: Nova -- Arm-Dam%:50(A), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(33), Arm-Acc/Rchg:50(48), Arm-Dmg/Rchg:50(48), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx:50(48), SuddAcc--KB/+KD:21(46)
Level 35: Charged Armor -- TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx:50(A), TtnCtn-ResDam:50(37), TtnCtn-ResDam/Rchg:50(40), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg:50(50)
Level 38: Afterburner -- BlsoftheZ-Travel:50(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx:50(43)
Level 41: Assault -- EndRdx-I:50(A)
Level 44: Grant Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:25(A)
Level 47: Invisibility -- ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP:10(A)
Level 49: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:25(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth:15(A)
Level 2: Rest -- IntRdx-I:50(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Flight-I:35(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+:20(A), Pnc-Heal/+End:10(13), Prv-Absorb%:20(13)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I:35(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%:21(A), PrfShf-EndMod:50(15), PrfShf-EndMod/Rchg:33(15), PwrTrns-+Heal:21(50)
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
Level 0: Portal Jockey
Level 0: Task Force Commander
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon
Level 50: Degenerative Core Flawless Interface
Level 50: Assault Radial Embodiment
------------

Quick question: why sacrifice S/L defense for resistance?  I'm just curious what you're thinking there.

@Rathstar

36 minutes ago, Rathulfr said:

Quick question: why sacrifice S/L defense for resistance?  I'm just curious what you're thinking there.

Hover blasting at range is going to use ranged defense the vast majority of the time, excluding ranged AoE.  The things that do hit are going to be largely S/L/E damage type based on this thread:

So, I wanted to get hit as little as possible, hence keeping the 45% ranged defense, and then have the things that hit me be mitigated as much as possible, hence the S/L/E resists.

1 hour ago, Caulderone said:

Hover blasting at range is going to use ranged defense the vast majority of the time, excluding ranged AoE.  The things that do hit are going to be largely S/L/E damage type based on this thread:

So, I wanted to get hit as little as possible, hence keeping the 45% ranged defense, and then have the things that hit me be mitigated as much as possible, hence the S/L/E resists.

Right, which is why I focus on both ranged and smashing/lethal defense, not resistance.  Almost all attacks have one positional tag and at least one (usually two) damage type tags.  If you counter either position or type, the attack fails to hit.  So if you fail a roll on position (ranged), but succeed on type (smashing), the attack misses.  If you cap ranged defense, but don't cap smashing/lethal, you're still vulnerable to getting hit by ranged attacks that contain the smashing/lethal damage type.

This means that you should always strive to soft-cap at least one positional tag (ranged/melee/AoE) and at least one (or two) damage type tags (S/L/E/NE/F/C/P).  Since smashing/lethal are the most common, and those most commonly paired in IO sets, it's easy to soft-cap S/L defense.  As a Blaster, you're covering most bases with R/S/L defense.

Soft-capping S/L defense also helps with melee attacks, because many melee attacks include the S/L damage type.  So even though you might not have any positional defense against melee, your typed defense against S/L has a 50-50% chance of keeping you from getting hit in melee, too.  It's not perfect: but it works a lot better than no defense at all, and slightly better than eating 25-40% guaranteed damage with resistance alone.

(edit) Excerpt from http://web.archive.org/web/20120904080030/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=115184

If you want to know how much defense you have against an attack, the game does this:

First it figures out how much base defense you have.
Then it looks at the way the attack is typed (for example, ranged/smash/energy)
Then for each type, it sums up all of the defense you have to that type (for example, your total ranged defense, your total smashing defense, and your total energy defense).
Then it picks the biggest of those, and adds it to your base defense, if any.
That's your defense to that attack.

Edited by Rathulfr

@Rathstar

I really like my Energy/Time Blaster. I put KB/KD IOSs in Energy Torrent and Explosive Blast and the Dam/KB/KD Universal Damage IO in Nova. I don’t worry about the single target KB, and I’ll be putting the Blaster ATOs in a couple of them eventually. Time Lord and a few Def/+Recharge IOs give you a good single-target attack chain. I am currently using the Force Epic pool which adds a third ranged AoE, and the KB bubble with a KB/KD IO is very useful during the BAF prisoner escape part. 

9 hours ago, Rathulfr said:

If you counter either position or type, the attack fails to hit.  So if you fail a roll on position (ranged), but succeed on type (smashing), the attack misses.

You have misunderstood the attack mechanics here, as that isn't how it works.  You only get to use the highest of the applicable defenses.  You only get one roll on defense.  I assumed you wanted the S/L defense for when in melee range to nuke.

Quote from the linked article just before the part you quoted:

>> * You are only allowed to use the best defense you have against an attack with multiple classes.

AND from the section you quoted

>> Then it picks the biggest of those, and adds it to your base defense, if any.

Here are the paragonwiki articles on attack mechanics and defense:

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Attack_Mechanics 

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Defense 

Quote from that article:

>>Example: Deflection Shield gives a Defense bonus against Melee Attacks, Smashing Attacks, and Lethal Attacks. Glacial Armor gives a Defense bonus against Energy Attacks and Negative Energy Attacks. A Tanker with both these buffs is ambushed by a nasty Council Vampyri who tries to hit her with Siphon Life. That power is tagged as a Negative Energy Attack and a Melee Attack. Our Tanker will only be protected by one of her two Defense buffs. Lucky for her, it will be whichever is larger.

The important part from the quote:

>> Our Tanker will only be protected by one of her two Defense buffs

>> it will be whichever is larger.

I suggest, if you don't believe me or understand those, that we move this discussion, as it really isn't part of this topic.

Edited by Caulderone