Enhancement order "flipping" retrieving from base storage

Greycat

So this is minor but annoying.

I'll craft IOs - common or set - ahead of time sometimes and stick them in base storage.

When retrieving multiples, the order will "flip" (if it were in a spreadsheet, for instance, you'd be going from ascending to descending.) It seems exceptionally random when it happens. Click speed doesn't seem to matter, I'll click (say) two accuracy, suddenly it's flipped order and there's a hold where I'm clicking. If I look at the order, it's definitely reversed itself - stuff at the top is now at the bottom. It doesn't matter who put the enhs in or when - the instance that this happened that got me to finally put this in was me retrieving some IOs on the same character that *created* them and put them all in at the same time.

It will do it partway through a stack, so it's not just "that one ran out and it refreshed."

This is *really* annoying when it happens.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

It’s not just enhancements -- all base storage that shows its contents as a vertical list does this. I can't say for sure without looking at the code, but it feels like the storage is recorded internally as a simple array of single items in the order in which they were deposited, and the contents view builds the stacks for display dynamically -- if the storage had, say, level 25 common Acc IOs as the 1st, 12th, and 15th items put in, and five other random enhancements as the second through sixth stored, you'd initially see the three Acc IOs at top of the list, but as soon as you took one, thellist would be recomputed, and the UI wouldn't start the stack of Acc IOs until it got to the 11th item in the storage, so they would drop way down in the displayed list.

On 4/17/2020 at 5:53 PM, srmalloy said:

if the storage had, say, level 25 common Acc IOs as the 1st, 12th, and 15th items put in, and five other random enhancements as the second through sixth stored, you'd initially see the three Acc IOs at top of the list, but as soon as you took one, thellist would be recomputed

I did a bit of testing with a salvage rack and this seems to be correct. If I added them all in alphabetical order then the re-list problem didn't happen. If I added them in a random order it did. Interestingly, I couldn't get the relist to happen unless I left the base and then came back again.

Edited by Gremlin
Unfortunate use of "didn't" when I meant "did"!

I think it is partially related to the speed at which you retrieve things and how many items your base have - i'm talking about decorative stuff here.
I have a base with 8.5k items and unless i spam clicks like bullets from a machine gun it will rarely happen.
Still - i agree, this is pretty annoying when it happens.

38 minutes ago, Zed said:

I think it is partially related to the speed at which you retrieve things and how many items your base have - i'm talking about decorative stuff here.
I have a base with 8.5k items and unless i spam clicks like bullets from a machine gun it will rarely happen.
Still - i agree, this is pretty annoying when it happens.

The bases I have are fairly basic - spot for salvage, storage, transport, couple functional NPCs.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

4 hours ago, Oubliette_Red said:

Especially the lighting flicker when removing/placing items in storage.

I also get background noise changes when I add/remove items; I always assumed that it was the client dropping some ambient playback while it talked to the server to update the storage object, and ignored it.