A gull in every pot!

Many options seem to be locked behind Null the Gull due to the labor intensive nature of changing UI.  But he's kind of a pain in the butt to get to when you start a new character.  His position is understandable given that he can change your alignment, but what about the rest of his flock? Perhaps some of of his kindred could take up residence in other zones with a limited selection of options, basically all the QoL changes (Mystic Fortune, speed buffs, etc.) while leaving out realignment in dedicated hero/villain zones?

• Like 1

I play a Rogue a lot for role play reasons, but the code still kinda sucks for Rogues.  There's all sort of places where going to a zone or your base will drop you from a team or task force, and it's a pain, and not always obvious what action will cause you to drop.

I'd eliminate most of the rogue/vigilante code from the game.  Just make everyone the same as far as teaming and zones go.  The current design is tedious and not fun.

Otherwise, I agree with your points.  The Homecoming devs are doing a great job, but it might be best to ask for help for reasonably encapsulated tasks, such as improving the UI.  Having a couple of folks dedicated to just UI improvements would help a lot.  But in the meantime droping Null the Gull in most zones would help a lot.  In fact, I think most of the trainers in all zones could use a sidekick standing next to them.  A masked, caped, Gull sidekick.

4 hours ago, SaddestGhost said:

Many options seem to be locked behind Null the Gull due to the labor intensive nature of changing UI.  But he's kind of a pain in the butt to get to when you start a new character.  His position is understandable given that he can change your alignment, but what about the rest of his flock? Perhaps some of of his kindred could take up residence in other zones with a limited selection of options, basically all the QoL changes (Mystic Fortune, speed buffs, etc.) while leaving out realignment in dedicated hero/villain zones?

You can reach Null the Gull in less than 1 minute of new character creation:

1) Log into game with new character

2) Ask /help channel for Base teleporting macro

3) Use macro and go to the portal that says Pocket D

4) Go to pocket D to meet Null the Gull, and his brothers/sisters, Nark the Shark, KripKee the Rikti Munki, and DJ Zero the Hero

5) Enjoy fulfillment

• Haha 1

You know, my initial response was, "Wha?  The devs invented something that drastically makes this game easier for anyone who wants to use it, and people are complaining because it's not easy ENOUGH?!?"

Then I checked myself.  You really weren't complaining, and it's no skin off my nose.  Carry on!

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

3 hours ago, gameboy1234 said:

I'd eliminate most of the rogue/vigilante code from the game.  Just make everyone the same as far as teaming and zones go.  The current design is tedious and not fun.

That would be great, but I would recommend not holding your breath - there's a lot of indications that things around sidedness are really, really full of nasty technical debt that would need to be addressed before we get that. 

5 hours ago, Obus Form said:

You can reach Null the Gull in less than 1 minute of new character creation:

1) Log into game with new character

2) Ask /help channel for Base teleporting macro

3) Use macro and go to the portal that says Pocket D

4) Go to pocket D to meet Null the Gull, and his brothers/sisters, Nark the Shark, KripKee the Rikti Munki, and DJ Zero the Hero

5) Enjoy fulfillment

Remote base access, I gathered, was a mistake that may eventually be cut off since it has the unfortunate side effect of allowing people to escape debt and dying.  It's also taking for granted that people know such a thing is possible (which is also true of Null the Gull).  Seeing a few people crowded around a sea gull (or wolf or lion) near Ms. Liberty has the potential to catch the attention of people that weren't aware such an option existed.  Heck, why not just make the non-alignment options available at trainers?

2 minutes ago, SaddestGhost said:

Remote base access, I gathered, was a mistake that may eventually be cut off since it has the unfortunate side effect of allowing people to escape debt and dying.

And the HC staff seems to have worked out a two-step solution that preserves its use while keeping it out of combat, although I still don't see why it couldn't have just been tied into the same "Are you in combat?" check that triggers movement suppression, thereby eliminating completely the ability to use it to escape from the middle of combat -- you throw an attack or have one thrown at you, it's disabled until a certain period after the last attack/damage.

6 minutes ago, SaddestGhost said:

Remote base access, I gathered, was a mistake that may eventually be cut off since it has the unfortunate side effect of allowing people to escape debt and dying.  It's also taking for granted that people know such a thing is possible (which is also true of Null the Gull).  Seeing a few people crowded around a sea gull (or wolf or lion) near Ms. Liberty has the potential to catch the attention of people that weren't aware such an option existed.  Heck, why not just make the non-alignment options available at trainers?

While remote base access maybe cut off, you can still get to the portal and use the code.

Mind you, I"m not against the suggestion - just pointing that out. (I'm not sure I'd want it in *every* zone. Several would be good. Not really against it either. )

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

5 hours ago, gameboy1234 said:

I think all four alignments should be kept.  Maybe many players don't care two wahoos about them, but some of us really do care about these things for flavor and character concept.

Similarly, I think all existing arcs, tip missions, etc, should be kept as they are.  (or better yet, expanded upon).

BUT, I would be fine with saying, "anyone can go to any zone".  If a group of heroes wants to vouch for one of my villians, sure, why can't they work together while their interests, however briefly, align?  Similarly, if some heroes want to help further a nefarous scheme in the rogue isles, well, why not?  I can always tie up loose ends and dispose of the bod... er... *cough* reward them appropriately... later.

I'd actually like my villains to be attacked by random blueside NPC's, or my heroes to be attacked by random redside NPC's, if I was on the wrong side but NOT teamed. 

No such attacks for Rogue/Vig because Rogue/Vig.

Not saying an automatic PvP fest.  But if squads of Longbow would attack me blueside, that would rock. 

Or even if Ms Liberty decided to kick me upside the head if i got too close to the new heroes under her protection. 

I'd even accept that trainers like that might need to be 100% impervious to all damage and all effects, because you can't take away someone else's trainer.

But it would make me feel more like I was in enemy territory when NOT grouped up, and more liek "okay... you have a pass.... FOR NOW.... " when I was grouped up.

Edited by MTeague

30 minutes ago, MTeague said:

I think all four alignments should be kept. 

BUT, I would be fine with saying, "anyone can go to any zone".

I'd like to keep the alignments too, it's the teaming restrictions I dislike.  Stuff that will drop from a team you in the middle of a mission or task force.  Sorry if I was unclear about that.  Yes as a consequence I think zone restrictions would have to go away, but that's OK for most folks, I think.

And yes, I understand that this is probably a low priority task for the devs, but it's also one I find really annoying.  Hopefully it'll get on the list of stuff to do.

• Like 1

Well, going by the topic title, I was expecting "Allow us to hire a gull to hang around our bases!"

Why not? I've got a tailor, trainer, insp salesperson. Why not a world-warping seagull?

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)