Concerned about NCsoft

Khardis

I am somewhat concerned that, since the team is in talks with NCsoft about the server, they'll have to answer either yes or no, and if it's a no, this place goes poof.

This might be unfounded or not, I do not know either the legalese or other factors, but I really like the game, and I've been missing it like crazy, and having the opportunity to play here again the last week has been fantastic.

If worst comes to worst - is there contigency plans in place to let people download the server code and run their own servers somewhere? What kind of hardware would we be looking at?

This has been discussed ad nauseum since this server started. People will give you their opinion of what NCsoft may or may not do, or other examples of other private servers, but the fact of the matter is that nobody knows, and there is still that risk. Your fears are not unfounded, but there is no definite answer with any legal backing yet.

The server code is available and people are already able to create their own private servers. Once something gets on the internet, it can never fully be erased. As for server specs, I can't comment on that but I know those specs are floating around somewhere either on the forums or on the discord.

I'm somewhat lost on the whole thing here.  Is City of Heroes: Homecoming in discussion with NCSoft... or another company entirely?

I share OP's concerns (as I'm sure everyone does) ... but one that that Homecoming shows is that there is a dedicated player-base here, still AKA money to be made. 

I guess I just want to get a handle on what's going on and who's in talks with who.  Maybe a link to an article or some such?

I'm somewhat lost on the whole thing here.  Is City of Heroes: Homecoming in discussion with NCSoft... or another company entirely?

I share OP's concerns (as I'm sure everyone does) ... but one that that Homecoming shows is that there is a dedicated player-base here, still AKA money to be made. 

I guess I just want to get a handle on what's going on and who's in talks with who.  Maybe a link to an article or some such?

TonyV of the Titan Network announced that they (The Titan Network) were in discussions with NCSoft to acquire the rights to run servers -https://twitter.com/TonyV_CoH/status/1120855527175671808. There has been no update or an announcement of them being successful. I'm skeptical anything will come of it as I see NCSoft as unwilling to do anything like that.

As for the money to be made, the reality is that nothing has changed there for 7 years. NSCoft had money to be made from having a running server even in maintenance mode and they did not pursue that. They still shut the game down while it was making a little profit.

As for everything going poof, that is a possibility with or without the talks. Unless they say yes, that will always be the risk so, having the talks at least has a possibility of a positive outcome. While I am doubtful the outcome we want will occur, there is no greater harm from engaging in the conversation than not. The idea that this server is unknown to them with almost 70000 registered users is laughable. We don't know what they will do. We hope they will at least see that they could receive what is essentially free money by selling a license to the community.

Frankly, it would give me no more hope for longevity if NCSoft gave this place a license than their being a rogue server does. NCSoft has proven themselves, over and over again to be untrustworthy and completely uninterested in their customers. So, better things are as they are now and NCSoft is not making money from this than paying them off for a couple years until they go "Corporate restructuring has forced us to pull the license and demand the servers be shut down. We are so sorry". Maybe I'm too cynical when it comes to them, but I have no doubt whatsoever that would be the eventual result.

While I know this is tough for some (my wife of over two decades has horrible anxiety), why worry?

We made Newsweek.

The buzz says the corporation has known for a while.

A C&D will arrive, or it won't.

New servers are already popping up, the beast cannot be killed.

Play the game, as in life, like there might not be a tomorrow and have fun doing it.

I wonder if NCSoft realizes how much more hate they would incur?  I know I am still not buying any NCSoft products till I know for sure I can keep playing.

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

Thanks for the link, that will hopefully not be necessary, but it's very nice to have.

Download the code anyway even if you don't setup your own server and keep it safe, for if this place goes so too may any download source

Setting up a private lan server may look a bit daunting but it isn't that hard the real trick is downloading the rather large code package

Most home computers these days be they windows 7 or 10 can handle the server task and run the client at the same time.

I wonder if NCSoft realizes how much more hate they would incur?  I know I am still not buying any NCSoft products till I know for sure I can keep playing.

Giv n the crummy way they handled shut down, were dishonest with Richard garriot, and how subsequent games of theirs stink I have no desire to give them my money even if they bring CoH back themselves