The best way to buy your own crafted I/O attuned.

Nafsmar

Hello I do a lot of converting. This is how I outfit my alts. I only slot attuned I/Os. So I am wondering how to sell something I have created and buy it back as an attuned. I heard you can not use the same character. So I dabbled with it a bit. I first tried with a few lower costing ones and did indeed buy mine. So I decided to try a big one. I crafted a Panacea proc and put it on the market for 16,789,000. I logged onto another account (my daughters but much to my dismay she hardly plays it) and put in the same 16,789,000 bid. I did buy one for that price but it wasn't mine. How can I avoid this in the future. Is it possible or totally random. I eventually took my pan proc down and relisted at 13M and it sold for 14M so all in all not that bad for a freebie drop.

You need to figure out what the lowest outstanding offer is, which is the lowest price someone else has it for sale.  If you have the non-attuned and you want to buy the attuned, first I'd put in a bid at a weird number that you think is in the middle of the market.  For the Panacea proc I'd pick something like 11,867,530.  If you buy the attuned there, great, that's a good buy.  If you don't, then post your non-attuned (on a different character, it doesn't have to be a different account) at the same price.  Unless someone came into the market in that minute or two, you should transact.

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

If I sell one and buy one for the same price does it matter if it was mine?

• Like 3

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

10 hours ago, Nafsmar said:

So I am wondering how to sell something I have created and buy it back as an attuned.

If it really has to be same IO then you'll have to catalyse them yourself. Catalysts usually go for around 2 m inf but I think I've seen sell around 1.3 m sometimes. That's less than the auction house fee for a high end item. You can buy them with merits if you prefer.

If you're trying to save inf then I'd just sell the one you made at normal/high price and buy the one you want at a normal/low price. You'll usually make inf in the process although it might take 24 hours for the sale to complete.

Personally I use the market as an infinitely large storage bin. I make inf every time I put something in or take something out. (Unless I'm in a hurry. 🙂)

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to do this? Does it matter to you that it's the exact same IO? Are you just trying to save inf? Is there some thematic goal you're trying to achieve.

I trade with myself all the time, mostly intentionally, sometimes by accident.  Most of the things on the market have astonishingly wide bid-offer spreads.  In my thoughts, this is due to the fact that the cowmen who make markets have gotten bored with it.  Self-dealing (this is by account.  Once character cannot trade with itself, but can trade with another character on the same account) works well whenever you establish a trade point that is mid-market.

• Thanks 1

Who run Bartertown?

I was trying to do it to save influence but I guess it makes more sense to make some money off of it. It’s kind of what I’ve been doing all along anyhow. Thank you all for the replies.
I recently started a super group and made a base and am in the process of buying all the I/Os I will need for future endeavors so I could be prepared for whatever alt I decide to roll next. 

• Like 1

I have several strategies for getting attuned pieces. Prior to lvl 50, almost everything is attuned except for low level or PVP procs/globals. These methods aren't going to be helpful to most (many? any?) other players but here goes:

If the piece is under 2 MInf, I just buy it attuned, assuming I don't have one in the SG base already.

For more expensive IO pieces that I use in most of my builds, I save crafted versions in the SG base. When I respec a character I will en masse swap out attuned versions for level-appropriate pieces and then attune them (if necessary). This burns up catalysts (THE HORROR!) but it means having certain things available for use by other characters. This works out well for PVP sets, since they can be slotted very early in a career and then be replaced with (boosted) lvl 50s at the end of a career. You can use unslotters (cheap) and catalysts (not cheap) if you don't do it during a full respec, it's just that for me my lvl 50 concepts often use Very Rare sets and reconfigured powers so it is a convenient time to pull out attuned pieces.

I have occasionally bought an attuned piece from the market first and then put the non-attuned piece on the market. This requires you to have the Inf up front, but doing it this way allows you to understand the margins involved.

Here is something I didn't know could happen, but I have observed. You can boost lvl 50 PVPs, but not the procs. You can however convert a boosted PVP into a (boosted) proc!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, tidge said:

Here is something I didn't know could happen, but I have observed. You can boost lvl 50 PVPs, but not the procs. You can however convert a boosted PVP into a (boosted) proc!

Is there any advantage to that?

On 4/28/2020 at 12:00 PM, Troo said:

If I sell one and buy one for the same price does it matter if it was mine?

This?

Although it would be rare that I would be buying and selling the same enhancement, but since I usually put in low offers and reasonably high sales prices I am making more on sales than I am paying for what I am trading.

And isn't that the essence of marketing?

9 hours ago, ScrewlooseCohh said:

This?

Although it would be rare that I would be buying and selling the same enhancement, but since I usually put in low offers and reasonably high sales prices I am making more on sales than I am paying for what I am trading.

And isn't that the essence of marketing?

I think it's not important to get the exact same one, just that you were trying to guarantee that one was available at a specific price.  Self-dealing is an important part of my crafting empire, but I rarely do it one item at a time.

Who run Bartertown?