Make Rocketboard a Costume Part That Works with Flight Like Jetpacks

I have a new toon that I love with the concept of a flying surfboard. It is great but....when it is used, all power toggles are tuned off, emotes, etc. The rocket board should be turned into a costume part like the jetpacks that works in conjunction with FLIGHT. This way, you can use the board and still attack, use powers,etc without having to turn it off.

I am not sure how hard this would be but, it seems to an idea consistent with the jetpacks, rocketboots, etc.

#FreeTheRocketBoard 

• Like 3

Yes, sadly the game engine can’t animate the upper and lower body separately. All those flight attack animations are a completely separate set from being on the ground. Jetpacks work because they don’t change the default flying animations.

You MIGHT be able to cludge it with the flying disk because the base is large enough that the standing animations might work and not fall too far off the sides of the board (rather like a path aura).

BUT, I don’t have any idea how hard it would be to switch out all the flight animations for ground animations while the fly power is active.

2 hours ago, Menelruin said:

Is there a reason we can't get the grounded stances for attacks, but just with the model placed on top of the board?

And what if, say, a power has your feet move around a lot, and shifts the player model during the animation? Dual Pistol's T9, Hail of Bullets comes to mind for example. 

Edited by Nanolathe

Can there just be a generic animation for the set that occurs for all hover board attacks ? For now.. 

Make it a range only option for now ?  

Sadly not, plainguy.  Animations have Activation Times for Powers.  All Powers need to have their Activation Times match the duration of their Animation Times.  In other words:  We would need one animation for each Activation Time, and there are dozens of those.

13 hours ago, ArchVileTerror said:

What happens when you're Flying/Hovering and you use Hail of Bullets?

Can we just have it do that?

Then your feet wouldn't be planted on the hoverboard, which was the proposal I was responding to. If you use the flying animation set you're defeating the premise of using ground animations as a "fix" for the problem. This applies to every attack that moves the feet around more than a shuffle. There are literally hundreds of animations that wouldn't work, especially in newer sets.

Apologies if I wasn't clear, but I'm saying that just using the grounded animations for every power when on the hoverboard will not work, and using the flying animations as you suggest defeats the purpose of having a character that only has flight due to standing on a hoverboard.

Unless the HC team has figured out how to insert new animations into the game (which last I looked, they have not), this is a request that simply can not be achieved without massively compromising the professional look of the animations.

Edited by Nanolathe

13 hours ago, Nanolathe said:

Then your feet wouldn't be planted on the hoverboard, which was the proposal I was responding to. If you use the flying animation set you're defeating the premise of using ground animations as a "fix" for the problem. This applies to every attack that moves the feet around more than a shuffle. There are literally hundreds of animations that wouldn't work, especially in newer sets.

Apologies if I wasn't clear, but I'm saying that just using the grounded animations for every power when on the hoverboard will not work, and using the flying animations as you suggest defeats the purpose of having a character that only has flight due to standing on a hoverboard.

Unless the HC team has figured out how to insert new animations into the game (which last I looked, they have not), this is a request that simply can not be achieved without massively compromising the professional look of the animations.

Why not just have the hoverboard stay under wherever the player is positioned?  If the character wants to dance around on it, and looks a little silly, so be it.  I've seen more ridiculous things in video games (the plane level in Sonic 2 springs to mind).

17 hours ago, Menelruin said:

Why not just have the hoverboard stay under wherever the player is positioned?  If the character wants to dance around on it, and looks a little silly, so be it.  I've seen more ridiculous things in video games (the plane level in Sonic 2 springs to mind).

I'm willing to bet money that the HC Devs are just not willing to allow that level of unprofessionalism. That, and the fact that I'm also pretty sure it's not as simple as just a quick "attacks.on.hoverboard=true" change to the code that would allow it. Same with Walk, Magic Carpet, etc. 

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if this sort of thing has been enabled on the more ... ahhh ... lets call them 'experimental' servers.