Implement the "missing" enhancement types (-RES, ±DMG, -regen)

It has always bothered me slightly that -RES, +DMG, -DMG, -regen can't be enhanced. It means that several sets become one-trick ponies, reduces proc-friendliness and means that sets like sonic resonance, which should be a very powerful set on paper, is actually very middling because other sets can pump out more resistance debuff by abusing recharge boosts. Similarly, -DMG powers are often profoundly underwhelming, whereas they could be a competitive alternative to resistance boosts. 

Is it possible, per spaghetti code rules? In some cases, it maybe be appropriate to have "half of this power's effects can be enhanced" rules in place.

• Like 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern King Solar Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Peacebringer Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

Those stats can not be enhanced, due to those stats sharing functions with their opposites.   It apparently makes things quite screwy.

HOWEVER!

They -could- all be given IO Sets.  Those Sets wouldn't directly enhance the problematic aspects of the Powers, but could still enhance things like Accuracy, Recharge, Endurance Cost, and Range.  These could then be given Procs which improve their inherent function.  In fact, they could be given TWO or THREE Procs each.  HELL!  There could be a six Proc Set, if that's what we really wanted to do.

So, short answer:   Not conventionally, but there's a workaround just waiting to be implemented.

• Like 3

This is not a good idea. All the above mentioned effects stack, and are % based not flat value. The reason they are not enhanceable is they do not need to be. Though where I do agree -DMG MAY SEEM underwhelming, it in combination with any resistance based armor, or sonic bubbles, makes the combo extremely effective.

Please to not add these enhancements.

Edited by Snowdaze
  • Like 1

I have a Darkness Manipulation Proposal: Let me know what you think!

Enhanceable -Res would trivialise already trivial content. 

The decision to make those Special stats unenhancable was, I believe, a measured one by the Live Devs, rather than an oversight.

That said, I think it could be interesting to experiment with it on the beta server.

• Like 1

Oh? You like City of Heroes?

Name every player character.

I'll be waiting in my PMs.

So, Resistance enhancement is directly tied to Damage enhancement due to the way the game is coded (it's stupid, I know)  This is why powers like Power Boost don't work on powers that have a resistance component (like Fade), so that wouldn't work.  A Proc, as someone mentioned, might work (as we already have -res procs) +/- Damage is percent based, not sure if the devs are ready to let that percent be raised, same with regen (though that could possibly be less overpowered) but then again, Regen is kind of an all or nothing thing.  It's meaningless against anything but EBs and above (and even against most EBs) and when you get into the AV territory, you need 500%+ for it to be meaningful, which most powers wouldn't be able to reach, even with enhancements.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What this team needs is more Defenders

1 hour ago, Psyonico said:

It's meaningless against anything but EBs and above (and even against most EBs) and when you get into the AV territory, you need 500%+ for it to be meaningful, which most powers wouldn't be able to reach, even with enhancements.

I dont find this to be true, if anything it's meaningless on anything Boss and Below. Only in EB, AV, and GM territory do you actually notice it allowing for greater overall reduction of the foe's health. Likewise a simple poison dagger temp power has a huge impact on a GM or AV fight.

I have a Darkness Manipulation Proposal: Let me know what you think!

29 minutes ago, Snowdaze said:

I dont find this to be true, if anything it's meaningless on anything Boss and Below. Only in EB, AV, and GM territory do you actually notice it allowing for greater overall reduction of the foe's health. Likewise a simple poison dagger temp power has a huge impact on a GM or AV fight.

You're right, I got that backwards.

What this team needs is more Defenders

28 minutes ago, Snowdaze said:

Yes I want to boost the target count on my "rains"!

um..

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Bob from development meets up with Steve in Accounting.  Steve mentions this really cool idea for a power he is thinking up, so Bob takes him to Rick in programming.  Steve states his ideas, concepts, and wishes for this power to Rick so he can slot stuff in it.  Rick is listening, idly muting out Steve when Bob asks "Why the fuck would Super Awesome Kick in the Nuts (stupid name BTW) be able slot Range, Targeted Range, PBAoE, and Slow?"  So Steve attempts to respond when Bob cuts him off "I can see maybe Immobilize as he is Holding his twigs and berries, Confused, and Stunned, possibly Knockback....but range doesn't make sense for a single target melee?"  Steve goes to respond when Rick simply states;

"Powers are not designed around IO sets and procs, IO sets are designed around powers.  That means, some powers benefit from multiple procs while others don't.  If it can fit many procs, it got lucky.  Bob, this is why we don't go to Accounting for ideas, they only understand spread sheet numbers output onto a form, not design concepts and how to input the code for them."

tl;Didn't laugh - Quicksand and Tar Patch, both targeted slow floor patches which are essentially the same.  Tar patch is -resist and Quicksand is -def, so all things created equally in concept....Quicksand should be able to fit -def procs while Tar Patch with -resist could not fit anything but slow.  EXCEPT Quicksand can't fit anything but slow, according to Mids and unless it is not coded correctly Mids is usually spot on.  Means, not all powers get the same treatment, some powers shouldn't be able to fit 3 different IO set types; its just really lucky they can.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

6 hours ago, Outrider_01 said:

"Powers are not designed around IO sets and procs, IO sets are designed around powers

Oh, I get that and I'm not under any illusions that supercharging -res wouldn't make things easier, however this game is not what I would call exactingly balanced. Even if -res and +dmg enhancements weren't possible, the ability to slot more exciting things than endurance reduction in Assault or giving Sonic some proc opportunities would broaden build viability a bit.

All I'm suggesting is flexibility for some of the more constricted support sets. I did sort of assume it was a spaghetti code issue more than a balance ons, which someone above confirmed.

The meta, as it currently is, also allows for a lot of picking X power because of Y proc or Z set bonus. It would just be cool if that could be opened up a bit.

• Like 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern King Solar Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Peacebringer Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

I'd like a "increase chance" enhancement, like if a power has a chance of inflicting a specific secondary effect like some of the stuns in Kinetic Melee or KB in energy blast.  Wouldn't affect inherent powers or proc IOs though...but maybe procs could also have the chance boost as a side bonus to slotting the proc (Obliteration: Chance of Smashing dmg/+15% enhancement I mentioned).

Just like regular enhancements, it's not a flat rate added but a % value to be applied to whatever value its enhancing.

• Like 1