Elec/Shield Scrapper build - Seeking Advice!

ladyhero

Greetings, Heroes and Villains alike!  

I'm new to building characters - this is only my second - and am hoping to get some guidance on this one:  My EM/Shield Scrapper.

This is not based on any posted builds out there; I made it from scratch.  Given my lack of build experience, I'm sure I've made some errors.  I suspect it's not the most efficient build.  I don't have a methodology for building yet, and I admit to being a bit overwhelmed by all of the options and info available.  But I'm sticking with it, and I mean to improve...

This is my first EM/Shield Scrapper.  I REALLY like it so far, and found the playstyle pretty easy to adapt to.  I've noticed many builds seem to use Fire Mastery for the epic, but I chose Mu Mastery for the -End secondary effects.  My idea here is that it's potentially more helpful to a team in all-around content.  (Yes I realize it's a little less damage output than Fire Mastery.)  I seem to regularly drain the end of any lingering bosses, so it's having the desired effect.

But back to the reason I'm here - this build needs improvement.  So what follows are my thoughts, and some of my initial testing...

Intended use of this character:

• All-around PVE content.  
  • Ability to farm.
  • +4x8 as much as possible.
  • Solo AVs?  If there's a way, YES PLEASE

Here are some positives I'd like to maintain:

• Softcap defenses (obviously)
  • Perma Hasten
  • Perma Active Defense
  • Good Regen   (currently 215%)
  • Good Recovery (currently 204%)
  • High Accuracy
  • +ToHit from Kismet
  • High damage bonus

Feelings and observations on its performance:  

I feel like it kills things pretty quickly for a scrapper.  That's a big part of what I'm enjoying about this character.  
There's no feeling quite like rushing solo into a huge cluster of enemies, and demolishing them.  And yet, could it do even better here?

I feel like I get hit way more often than I should.  With softcapped defense, good Def debuff resistance, and pretty okay resists, I expect more out of my survivability.  This feels much more squishy than I'd like.

It seems that a large part of my current survivability is just how quickly I can kill things.  If I'm having an off night where I'm not on top of my game, I foresee having issues staying alive.  

Areas in need of improvement:

Survivability.  I'd like to feel damn-near indestructable.  AND I'd like to accomplish that without sacrificing the positives mentioned above, if possible.

Even more damage output?  Is that possible?

Tests against various mobs, all at +4x8, solo bosses enabled:

Knives of Artemis - I annihilated them.  I did not expect this, because they're rather nasty.  I had no trouble hitting them whatsoever, I dealt pretty severe damage to them.  In some cases I ended up actually putting holds/stuns on bosses.  I had to eat an occasional green, but nothing out of hand.  I did not have to activate any incarnate powers to get an edge on them.

Freaks - They were a bit slower to kill.  Super Stunners did give me some endurance issues, but the few blues in my Insp tray kept me ahead of that.  No overall issues taking them on.  Again, I did not have to activate any incarnate powers to get an edge on them.

Fire Farm - I think it was the Bloody Fire Farm, on the asteroid map.  I had mixed results.  With Hybrid Melee active (75% fire resist), I did fairly well.  In some cases where I was swarmed I had to eat some greens rather quickly because I was just getting overwhelmed with damage.  (In my current state, there's no way I'd be able to sit in the midst of them idle and survive.)  Once I faceplanted.  In most cases it was my damage output (killing mobs off quickly) that kept me alive.

S/L Farm - I did fairly well here.  Mobs included bosses and EBs, most of the incoming damage was melee.  I had to eat greens a few times, but I never felt I was in much danger of dying.

Malta - This did not go well at all...ugh.  I rushed the first full mob (I think a second swarmed me too) with both Ageless Radial Epiphany and Melee Core Embodiment active.  (Active Defense on as well, obviously.)  I opened with Lightning Rod, right into the middle of them.  Then identified a Sapper, and immediately Shield Charged him, and then fired off Thunder Strike.  Before the animation finished I had gone from full health and endurance, to insta-dead.  In fairness, this may have just been a crap RNG result.  But I really did not expect a catastrophic cascade defense crash on that level.  

I had to stop there, so I don't have more of a performance sample size with Malta.  I had higher expectations.  I know my energy resists aren't the best even with Melee Core Embodiment active (43.2%).  Obviously I'd like to be able to confidently take them on.

Carnies - Not yet tested, but I'm expecting them to be rough given the Psi damage.

Evolution of this build so far:

This is version 2 of this build.  Version 1 wasn't much different, but I had initially not taken Active Defense.  My thinking was, "Well if I'm not getting hit anyway, why take the power?"  This proved to be a mistake.  My initial outing was against Knives of Artemis, which quickly revealed I'd made a poor choice there.  I was getting hit fairly often, and was getting stunned/slept.  In short, it didn't go well, so I quickly respec'd in Active Defense.

In version 2, Active Defense replaced Jacob's Ladder.  (I don't miss Jacob's Ladder at all.)  With my recharge, Active Defense is perma, and I've quickly adapted to keeping an eye on it to keep it up almost 100% of the time.  This change was a huge improvement!  Going back up against Knives, I gave them a nice ass-whooping.

I also replaced Steadfast Protection KB Protection with the Resist/End in True Grit, since Active Defense is doing that job for me now.  The resistance gain from that change isn't really noteworthy, however.

I'm ready for a v3, but I don't know what to change at this point...  

I'm open to hearing arguments in favor of taking One With The Shield, but I'm hoping to achieve my survivability goals without it.  (I don't like end-crash downside to the power.)

So with all of that said, here's what I'm currently running.  I'm all ears on how this can be better, and money is no object!  Thanks everyone for giving this a read!

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Lady 4.0: Level 50 Natural Scrapper
Primary Power Set: Electrical Melee
Secondary Power Set: Shield Defense
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Mu Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Havoc Punch

• (A) Mako's Bite - Accuracy/Damage
  • (15) Mako's Bite - Damage/Endurance
  • (46) Mako's Bite - Damage/Recharge
  • (46) Mako's Bite - Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge
  • (50) Mako's Bite - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (50) Mako's Bite - Chance of Damage(Lethal)

Level 1: Deflection

• (A) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed
  • (3) Luck of the Gambler - Defense
  • (3) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance
  • (5) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance/Recharge

Level 2: Battle Agility

• (5) Luck of the Gambler - Defense
  • (7) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance
  • (15) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance/Recharge

Level 4: Combat Jumping

• (17) Luck of the Gambler - Defense
  • (17) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance

Level 6: Hasten

• (A) Recharge Reduction IO
  • (7) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 8: True Grit

• (A) Aegis - Resistance
  • (9) Steadfast Protection - Resistance/+Def 3%
  • (9) Steadfast Protection - Resistance/Endurance

Level 10: Thunder Strike

• (A) Armageddon - Damage
  • (11) Armageddon - Damage/Recharge
  • (11) Armageddon - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (13) Armageddon - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (13) Armageddon - Damage/Endurance

Level 12: Build Up

• (A) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 14: Super Jump

• (A) Jumping IO

Level 16: Active Defense

• (A) Endurance Reduction IO

Level 18: Against All Odds

Level 20: Boxing

• (A) Empty

Level 22: Chain Induction

• (A) Superior Blistering Cold - Accuracy/Damage
  • (23) Superior Blistering Cold - Damage/Endurance
  • (23) Superior Blistering Cold - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (25) Superior Blistering Cold - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (25) Superior Blistering Cold - Damage/Endurance/Accuracy/RechargeTime
  • (27) Superior Blistering Cold - Recharge/Chance for Hold

Level 24: Phalanx Fighting

• (A) Gift of the Ancients - Defense
  • (42) Gift of the Ancients - Defense/Endurance
  • (43) Gift of the Ancients - Defense/Recharge
  • (43) Gift of the Ancients - Defense/Endurance/Recharge

Level 26: Tough

• (A) Gladiator's Armor - TP Protection +3% Def (All)
  • (27) Unbreakable Guard - +Max HP
  • (29) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance
  • (29) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance
  • (31) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance/RechargeTime

Level 28: Weave

• (A) Reactive Defenses - Defense
  • (34) Reactive Defenses - Defense/Endurance
  • (37) Reactive Defenses - Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (40) Reactive Defenses - Defense/RechargeTime
  • (42) Reactive Defenses - Defense/Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (42) Reactive Defenses - Scaling Resist Damage

Level 30: Grant Cover

• (A) Shield Wall - +Res (Teleportation), +5% Res (All)
  • (31) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed
  • (31) Kismet - Accuracy +6%
  • (40) Luck of the Gambler - Defense

Level 32: Lightning Rod

• (A) Superior Critical Strikes - Accuracy/Damage
  • (33) Superior Critical Strikes - Damage/RechargeTime
  • (33) Superior Critical Strikes - Accuracy/Damage/RechargeTime
  • (33) Superior Critical Strikes - Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (34) Superior Critical Strikes - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (34) Superior Critical Strikes - RechargeTime/+50% Crit Proc

Level 35: Shield Charge

• (A) Superior Scrapper's Strike - Accuracy/Damage
  • (36) Superior Scrapper's Strike - Damage/Recharge
  • (36) Superior Scrapper's Strike - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (36) Superior Scrapper's Strike - Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (37) Superior Scrapper's Strike - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (37) Superior Scrapper's Strike - Recharge/Critical Hit Bonus

Level 38: Charged Brawl

• (A) Hecatomb - Damage
  • (39) Hecatomb - Damage/Recharge
  • (39) Hecatomb - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (39) Hecatomb - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (40) Hecatomb - Damage/Endurance

Level 41: Mu Bolts

• (A) Damage Increase IO

Level 44: Ball Lightning

• (A) Ragnarok - Damage
  • (45) Ragnarok - Damage/Recharge
  • (45) Ragnarok - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (45) Ragnarok - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (46) Ragnarok - Damage/Endurance

Level 47: Electric Shackles

• (A) Superior Winter's Bite - Accuracy/Damage
  • (48) Superior Winter's Bite - Damage/RechargeTime
  • (48) Superior Winter's Bite - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (48) Superior Winter's Bite - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (50) Superior Winter's Bite - Damage/Endurance/Accuracy/RechargeTime

Level 49: Assault

Level 1: Brawl

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Critical Hit 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Prestige Power Slide

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Prestige Power Quick

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Prestige Power Rush

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Prestige Power Surge

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Sprint

• (A) Empty

Level 2: Rest

• (A) Empty

Level 4: Ninja Run 

Level 2: Swift

| Copy & Paste this data into Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer to view the build |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
|MxDz;1523;696;1392;HEX;|
|78DA6594DB4E13511486F774A6B4949E80423995D22AB414195BA8C653E2858051C|
|19034F1B68EED868E4CA0694B2297BE8182461FC1537C001FC1E343182F051451D0|
|90BA98F543493A69F3EDF9E75F7BAF596BEF997B30E57D7BFDE155A1F8AF5946B59|
|ACF152A46B92C2BAEDB466DB56258822EF7AC515C1BCAEA6917DD448F1CF9396949|
|A94F5BB250AB9805C362A1F17C4A2EC8E5AAD47325535AC5A35BE19D5F59B1F4596|
|994CDE5458F7D932B4B59F4D9C31973B154A3078123575156AA25B31C9E2E9B053D|
|5733ACA5C3A557F37346B5262B6B3D94528AFEBF7D0257DD291608194DF81799E32|
|5D06466EE834B4CCF61AC62C7AAA24BB13547080C32B54E661B791578157835785B|
|E0F5C3DB4DF552D9EB50E10DC21B84374E1E277B14E718E7D3027A692D17E25D59F|
|6BBC3C408B19BB94F9E567E6FADF58283DFE7227889E9BD0C5E61EE514C1BC78836|
|AC15A63C7CD07C49D67C2404A00562A82969ED7601EAA21D9A42B19DF075D6E912F|
|FC8D5856E743DD2B81A8FC17566CF06F884D9F79419A0D8302A1C76D320A189518D|
|9972822EA64A2BF7B257EB9D50ED8AF4EDABF63C03BFC05DE6E01E53A3987E8E71F|
|66FB216DB629EDE66267E30477F823BCC20E516416E915B98179D1D3C10F6FA0974|
|F880BC51D4207A97DF6DC800EF810566AC084A663BC5C6111B7FCFEB9CFA007E043|
|F21E7CFE017E62EC50E63470C8F70C7471260121C652652CCAF149A44079311EEEA|
|1FAF106398676C827D6726C12C788E397E9EF98DE6D111A3BFE07739FB127C05BE6|
|666DE303BA81F69AEA94863470D68C7A7997E873B2AAA1D9FD17AAAE969BA49C934|
|29934D4AB649996D52E6352C4B8A622BAD413AD5ACD4BF7B8EBF064219E7DCB73C2|
|7BE1031EE49E80EEF89D04DECDF1BCCCD93F13875DB0DCDA13CE3BA76AC831BCCBF|
|DD0454A32FD418CF841BE3E7742433C8F35DBCA1FF070FF5EFC6|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
Edited by ladyhero
Edited to correct formatting

Okay, quick update to share additional test results (again at +4x8):

Rikti Pylon Damage:

Since I saw the Pylon Damage topic a few posts below mine, I decided to give it ago.  It was pitiful.  With my damage, I was only able to scratch the surface.  It wasn't until I pulled out my Seer lore pets that I was able to get the edge.  Even then, while they were active, I was only about to take the Pylon down to just under 50%.  Once the Seers recharged I was able to finish the thing off.  So that gives you an idea of how long it took.

Malta:

I faced them down a second time.  This time I spawned my Seers, and activated my Hybrid and Destiny.  They didn't kill me this time, which leads me to believe my first go at them was just an unlucky RNG outcome.  I still didn't do stellar against them, and had to eat some greens, but this was probably a better representation of how this build handles them.  

Arachnos:

These were tough.  About as tough as Malta, possibly a little tougher.  I popped a lot of insps to keep alive, but worked my way through a few large groups.  The added disadvantage of being blinded was annoying.  

That's all I tested this morning, but it reinforces my desire to have better survivability and more damage output.

Please send any suggestions...thanks!

On 5/16/2020 at 12:51 PM, ladyhero said:

Okay, quick update to share additional test results (again at +4x8):

Rikti Pylon Damage:

Since I saw the Pylon Damage topic a few posts below mine, I decided to give it ago.  It was pitiful.  With my damage, I was only able to scratch the surface.  It wasn't until I pulled out my Seer lore pets that I was able to get the edge.  Even then, while they were active, I was only about to take the Pylon down to just under 50%.  Once the Seers recharged I was able to finish the thing off.  So that gives you an idea of how long it took.

Malta:

I faced them down a second time.  This time I spawned my Seers, and activated my Hybrid and Destiny.  They didn't kill me this time, which leads me to believe my first go at them was just an unlucky RNG outcome.  I still didn't do stellar against them, and had to eat some greens, but this was probably a better representation of how this build handles them.  

Arachnos:

These were tough.  About as tough as Malta, possibly a little tougher.  I popped a lot of insps to keep alive, but worked my way through a few large groups.  The added disadvantage of being blinded was annoying.  

That's all I tested this morning, but it reinforces my desire to have better survivability and more damage output.

Please send any suggestions...thanks!

Just an fyi electric single target attack chain is pretty low it is all about aoe and some more aoe I will look at the build here later this evening I am trying to dig for the best single target chain on electric just don't expect much from it lol

I have not gotten the chain figured out but looking at base damage no buffs no recharge we want to use the attacks that give us the best damage per activation attacks as much as possible so here is the raw data of your attacks

Charged Brawl DPA 69.65

Havoc Punch DPA 60.56 (should skip this attack or just use it as a filler for leveling/side kicking and IO's)

Jacobs Ladder cone DPA 61.8

Thunder Strike Aoe DPA 40.88 (never use during single target chain)

Chain Induction dpa 90.84 this should be the attack you want to activate the most but a 14s recharge time

Lightning Rod aoe dpa 77.9 when it is up use it in your chain for single target it is a damage buff

Shield Charge aoe dpa 75.60 also should use when up lol sad but true

One of the best thing you can do is create a bind for your Lightning Rod and Shield Charge I bind it to a key like this 6 powexeclocation target "shield charge" then put the normal icon there so i can see when it is recharged and when you hit the #6 on keyboard it executes the charge on your target so you save time and do not have to target etc when usign the power

Edited by hejtmane

FlashBack to old days: Pinnacle

Langar Thurs-Katana/SR 50; Hejtmane-DM/DA 50

Rogue Spear-Spines/DA 50; Hypnosis-Ill/Rad 50

Sir Thomas Theroux-DM/SR 50; Melted Copper-Fire/Shield 50; Byzantine Warrior-DB/ELA 50; Blade Tempo-50 DB/EA

Few suggestion:

For Thunderstrike I would use the Chance for Fire Damage Proc instead of something else, perhaps taking out the Dam/Recharge. The proc going off will do more damage than the 5% you lose from enhancements, and the recharge time difference is about a third of a second.

For the Scrapper ATOs keep in mind that Lightning Rod and Shield Charge cannot crit, so if you are like me and lead with those two attacks put the Superior Critical Strikes set in whichever of the two you use last.

I would drop Havoc Punch and pick up Jacob's Ladder instead. The DPA is similar and Jacob's Ladder is a cone. Havoc Punch is terrible. That being said, it may not be worth the effort if you have to move around a bunch of sets to remain at softcap. It can be done, I just don't know how much work it would take.

+4x8 with bosses will likely remain a challenge since single target damage is so low for this combo, it can be pretty slow at times. It's certainly doable and you can even take down AVs, but it's time consuming.

In general I prefer Assault Hybrid over Melee, but if you feel you need the extra survivability it makes sense. 

and hejtmane is correct in creating those binds for LR and SC, makes life so much better.

edit: Also use enhancement boosters in your recharge enhancements, purple sets, and anything not catalyzed. Boosting the two in Hasten to +5 puts you at perma.

Edited by MunkiLord

It’s hard for me to give a more detailed explanation as I can’t pull up Mids right now but I can give you some advice off the top of my head. Zapp or Mu Bolts will be a great addition to your single target attack chain. I would recommend 5 slotting the Apocalypse set in them and leave out the Dmg/Rchg IO, then take Ball Lighting for more AoE and 5 slot Ragnarok leaving out the Dmg IO and +5 the Dmg/Rchg IO. Swap Havoc Punch for Jacob’s Ladder (or keep Havoc Punch, I skipped Jacob’s Ladder as I found its performance to be very poor, more specifically it was terrible on my Stalker) Put the Critical Strikes set in Charged Brawl. Putting it in a power like Lightning Rod might increase the chance for the proc, but it takes 30 seconds to recharge and have a chance at proccing again (this means that there is a small chance of the proc not activating and having to wait 30 more seconds to have another chance) Putting it in a power like Charged Brawl and using it frequently means it can go off a minimum of 2 times in 30 seconds to Lightning Rods (or Shield Charges) 1 and potentially 0. I’ve actually seen it go off as many as 4 times in 30 seconds, with similar and even better results in powers like Smite. Consider 5 slotting LR or SC with Armageddon, leaving out the DMG IO and +5 the Dmg/Rchg IO, then 5 slot something like Scirocco’s Dervish in Thunder Strike for the Dmg proc and AoE defense set bonus, then throw a Force Feedback +recharge IO to help with perma-hasten and uptime of AoE. In True Grit, the HP component is more important than the resistance, both are good, but try to get the enhancement value for heal to red first. I exclusively 6 slot Numina’s Convalescence for its set bonuses which include Regen, HP, and Ranged defense most notably. You also save a slot in Health by having the +regen/+recovery slotted in True Grit. That’s about all I got for now, but I can pull up some of the previous and current builds for Elec/Shield I’ve used. As a side note, if the ST damage is still too bad, consider making it a Stalker. It’s definitely the most rounded AT for this specific pairing, dealing loads of ST damage and AoE.

Edited by Camel

Thank you all for this feedback! 

I had no idea that bind existed, and I love the idea of streamlining LR and SC.  Is there a similar bind to just fire them off right where you stand?  That would be a nice option as well.

I always forget to look at Damage Per Activation times - thank you for that reminder.  Seeing the default number for Thunder Strike is disappointing. (I'd been using Thunder Strike as my choice single target attack....ouch!)  

I think what I'll do at this point is use the game's secondary build feature to fine tune for ST attacks.  After having played the current build for a bit now on beta, I do like how AoE capable it is, so rather than trying to compromise that build, a separate one for harder single targets probably makes the most sense.

Camel, I actually tried to make a Elec/Shield Stalker build a couple months ago, and I couldn't get it Def capped...so I trashed it.  If there's a way, however, I'd be more than willing to give it another go!

Thanks again - have a fantastic holiday weekend

14 hours ago, ladyhero said:

I had no idea that bind existed, and I love the idea of streamlining LR and SC.  Is there a similar bind to just fire them off right where you stand?  That would be a nice option as well.

I always forget to look at Damage Per Activation times - thank you for that reminder.  Seeing the default number for Thunder Strike is disappointing. (I'd been using Thunder Strike as my choice single target attack....ouch!)  

I think what I'll do at this point is use the game's secondary build feature to fine tune for ST attacks.  After having played the current build for a bit now on beta, I do like how AoE capable it is, so rather than trying to compromise that build, a separate one for harder single targets probably makes the most sense.

Camel, I actually tried to make a Elec/Shield Stalker build a couple months ago, and I couldn't get it Def capped...so I trashed it.  If there's a way, however, I'd be more than willing to give it another go!

Never tried  on the bind I am pretty sure you need a target. You could maybe try targeting yourself maybe /target_name

FlashBack to old days: Pinnacle

Langar Thurs-Katana/SR 50; Hejtmane-DM/DA 50

Rogue Spear-Spines/DA 50; Hypnosis-Ill/Rad 50

Sir Thomas Theroux-DM/SR 50; Melted Copper-Fire/Shield 50; Byzantine Warrior-DB/ELA 50; Blade Tempo-50 DB/EA

On 5/22/2020 at 11:31 AM, ladyhero said:

I use SHIFT+LBUTTON "powexec_name Lightning Rod" and it will land wherever my mouse is pointing.

• 4 weeks later
12 hours ago, Rannos1033 said:

I read somewhere that damage procs do not work properly in chain induction has this been fixed or is it still true?

Hi Rannos, I did some googling and found an old reference from 2010 (rpg net forums) mentioning Chain Induction being bugged, making damage procs broken.  But the same post mentions that a fix was put in place as well.  (I can't find anything Homecoming-related mentioning the bug.)

I have a proc in Chain Induction, but it isn't a damage proc.  FWIW, however, it does fire off regularly.

Ok experiment complete a quick check (Dropped a touch of death NE damage proc in Chain induction) VS Devouring Earth If you wantched the damage meters of the targets they all took damage but the combat Log only showed damage to one enemy so it was very hard to tell if the proc is working as intended maybe someone with more experience with the system wants to take a look or knows for sure.

13 minutes ago, Rannos1033 said:

Ok experiment complete a quick check (Dropped a touch of death NE damage proc in Chain induction) VS Devouring Earth If you wantched the damage meters of the targets they all took damage but the combat Log only showed damage to one enemy so it was very hard to tell if the proc is working as intended maybe someone with more experience with the system wants to take a look or knows for sure.

Hmm, I would speculate that the combat log is reporting damage applied to the target that you cast the power on.  Unfortunately I don't know just where/how you'd find data for the damage applied to additional targets.

If it were me, I'd test by running into a group, and firing off Chain Induction only, and then looking for an extra damage value to pop up over one of their heads.  Without the proc, Chain Induction deals Smashing and Energy damage; therefore you'd see two damage values (one for Smashing, one for Energy) light up over your victims' heads when hit  So if the proc goes off, I'd expect to see a third value (Negative Energy) show up as well.

Ok looked in pet damage It looks like there were more than 4 bad guys for the power to jump to but it stopped jumping at the same time. I never saw smashing or NE damage after the first chain but I did a limited sample size about 10 punches (after work and need sleep). These seem to be pretty common examples.  So dose this seem like what is expected or is something not working right.

First Try

You activated the Chain Induction power.
HIT Razorvine! Your Chain Induction power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 56.78.

You hit Razorvine with your Chain Induction for 62.3 points of Smashing damage.
You hit Razorvine with your Chain Induction for 67.5 points of Energy damage.
You hit Razorvine with your Chain Induction for 11.09 points of their endurance.
You hit Razorvine with your Touch of Death: Negative Energy Damage for 69.98 points of Negative Energy damage.

Chain Induction Jump 1: HIT Fungoid! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 5.76.
Chain Induction Jump 1: You hit Fungoid with your Charge for 80.77 points of Energy damage [CHAIN SHOCK].
Chain Induction Jump 1: You hit Fungoid with your Touch of Death: Negative Energy Damage for 69.98 points of Negative Energy damage

Chain Induction Jump 2: HIT Fungoid! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 9.94.
Chain Induction Jump 2: You hit Fungoid with your Charge for 58.37 points of Energy damage [CHAIN SHOCK].

Chain Induction Jump 3: HIT Deathspore! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 8.23.
Chain Induction Jump 3: You hit Deathspore with your Charge for 58.37 points of Energy damage [CHAIN SHOCK].

Chain Induction Jump 4: HIT Deathspore! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 53.46.
Chain Induction Jump 4: You hit Deathspore with your Charge for 58.37 points of Energy damage [CHAIN SHOCK].

Second Try

You activated the Chain Induction power.

HIT Fungoid! Your Chain Induction power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 89.85.

You hit Fungoid with your Chain Induction for 62.3 points of Smashing damage.
You hit Fungoid with your Chain Induction for 67.5 points of Energy damage.
You hit Fungoid with your Chain Induction for 15.51 points of their endurance.
You hit Fungoid with your Chain Induction for 171.35 points of Energy damage [CRITICAL].
You hit Fungoid with your Touch of Death: Negative Energy Damage for 69.98 points of Negative Energy damage.

Chain Induction Jump 1: HIT Fungoid! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 45.34.
Chain Induction Jump 1: You hit Fungoid with your Charge for 80.77 points of Energy damage [CHAIN SHOCK].
Chain Induction Jump 1: You hit Fungoid with your Touch of Death: Negative Energy Damage for 69.98 points of Negative Energy damage.

Chain Induction Jump 2: HIT Razorvine! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 27.40.
Chain Induction Jump 2: You hit Razorvine with your Charge for 80.77 points of Energy damage [CHAIN SHOCK].

Chain Induction Jump 3: HIT Deathspore! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 3.07.
Chain Induction Jump 3: You hit Deathspore with your Charge for 58.37 points of Energy damage [CHAIN SHOCK].

Chain Induction Jump 4: HIT Razorvine! Your Charge power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 20.26.

Chain Induction Jump 4: You hit Razorvine with your Charge for 58.37 points of Energy damage [CHAIN SHOCK].