I Need Help Putting Together a MM for a Friday Event

11Troy11

I want to make a mastermind for an event this Friday, and I'm down to bots or ninjas (I know that demons and thugs are supposed to do really well, but they're not appealing to me.

For boys I was thinking 

1. Thermal because ii's got a good mix of shields and heals with a couple of debuffs thrown in.

2. Force field because nothing will hardly ever die (though it might get boring

3. Rad because debuffs would help things doe faster and there's a heal as well.

For Ninjas, I really don't know. I hear they're super squishy (which makes no sense). Their damage is supposed to be pretty decent (from what o hear anyway), so I wonder if there's a way to shore up their squishiness to make them a good overall choice.

Thoughts?

3 hours ago, 11Troy11 said:

For Ninjas, I really don't know.

My recommendation.

Just this week I was finally able to slot ATOs and Universal Damage into my Genin and Jounin and it's already making a difference with Overwhelming Force modifying every attack the Genin make.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

Ninjas have very low HP but a bit of defense (a BIT) so yes they are very squishy.  If you want shields go Cold as that will buff their def more.  I am working on one now and it's not bad. 

But I had more fun with my Ninja/Storm.  Put a Acc, Recharge and a KB to KD IO in Gale and you can keep everyone on their backs while your ninjas dance all over them.

Those would be my picks.

My personal suggestion would be Ninja/Time (paging @Redlynne), but of the choices above I'd go Ninja/FF. Ninjas need defense, not resists, to stay alive. Pick up Medicine Pool for spot healing.

EDIT: I realize the Redlynne is already in the house! 😀

Edited by Force Redux

@Force Redux on Everlasting

----- (read my guide) -----

Gather the Shadows: A Dark Miasma Primer for Masterminds

I also recommend Ninja/Time. i found the combo works very well and just gets better and better while switching from SO/IOs to IO sets. I have heard great things about Ninja/Storm but i have not played that combo.

7 hours ago, MoisesG said:

I also recommend Ninja/Time. i found the combo works very well and just gets better and better while switching from SO/IOs to IO sets. I have heard great things about Ninja/Storm but i have not played that combo.

Does time keep them alive sufficiently to protect against a huge dps drop?

1 hour ago, 11Troy11 said:

Does time keep them alive sufficiently to protect against a huge dps drop?

Yes ... but it isn't a single factor that enables that, but it's a confluence of factors that makes Ninja/Time work really really well.

LINK 1

LINK 2

LINK 3

If you actually read through the WALLS OF TEXT that I've written on this topic, so you can get a sense of HOW (and WHY) my thinking on this topic has evolved over time, you'll start to get a sense of where I started and then where I ended up ... and what I learned along the way (and it's the LEARNING that's the important thing!).

The really big insight I've learned playing Ninjas/Time is that tactical positioning relative to $Targets (the "configuration" of who is where when) is EXTREMELY important to learn and develop Player Skill in situational awareness so as to be where YOU need to be relative to everything happening around you.  There's also a "triple range" sense to what's going on in terms of PBAoE out to 25ft (Temporal Mending and Time's Juncture radius) and then another range from 25ft to 40ft (Fistful of Arrows radius) and then another range from 40ft to 80ft (Snap Shot and Aimed Shot range), and you need to know what is which range band when (and where you are in relation to them all).  Moving into position to line up Fistful of Arrows, or delaying long enough to catch multiple incoming $Targets in the Cone, all become "challenges" to your situational awareness which help whittle down $Targets faster when you're "doing it right."

On top of that is that the ideal time to use Temporal Mending is NOT at the beginning of a fight ... it's at the end, after a spawn has been defeated before moving on to the next spawn group ... or if needed, DURING a fight to help a Pet withstand "more than their fair share" of incoming damage.  So even the TIMING of when to use powers can have a big impact on how the powerset(s) play(s) in actual practice.  Some of it will even be counter-intuitive ... things like taking the personal attacks so as to reduce the amount of healing "demanded" by your Ninjas to keep them alive, in part thanks to the difference in positioning and "how" you engage $Targets tactically that is enabled by taking the personal attacks.

Or to put it another way ... it's all a big ball of wibbly wobbly, timey wimey ... stuff ...

So to put it simply, Ninja/Time enables a "layered protection" scheme that isn't relying on a single mitigating factor ... but rather on a confluence of multiple factors ... to help keep your Ninjas alive (and kicking the crap out of $Targets).

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.