Burning Buildings

This is something I've thought since back in the old days.

Burning buildings, as we seen in Steel Canyon, are a missed opportunity, I think.  Read the comics, watch the films.  When did you ever see Spiderman or Batman go running for a fire extinguisher?  No, they went IN the building, risking being burned, in order to save trapped people.  I always wondered why WE couldn't do the same?

I'm not saying the fire extinguisher part of the event should be discarded, or that the villains who turn up to make things worse should be removed... just that a mission INSIDE the building should be added.  You go in, and you're on a timer.  Find and rescue the trapped civilians.  Perhaps fight off a Hellion or two, knock down a few walls to let people get out safely (perhaps losing time by knocking down walls... you would reduce the structural integrity of the building... ask Mr. Incredible about that).  Events in the mission might even affect the events outside, and vice versa.

I'm not sure how it would be done, exactly, but I'd love to see it.

More, I'd love to see it in other zones.  Indeed, random events like this are something I'd REALLY like to see in any zone... not always burning buildings, but perhaps a random Super Villain goes on a rampage, or the Rikti actually BEAM DOWN during their "invasions," or what have you.  It would just add some life to the world.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Ultimo said:

This is something I've thought since back in the old days.

Burning buildings, as we seen in Steel Canyon, are a missed opportunity, I think.  Read the comics, watch the films.  When did you ever see Spiderman or Batman go running for a fire extinguisher?  No, they went IN the building, risking being burned, in order to save trapped people.  I always wondered why WE couldn't do the same?

I'm not saying the fire extinguisher part of the event should be discarded, or that the villains who turn up to make things worse should be removed... just that a mission INSIDE the building should be added.  You go in, and you're on a timer.  Find and rescue the trapped civilians.  Perhaps fight off a Hellion or two, knock down a few walls to let people get out safely (perhaps losing time by knocking down walls... you would reduce the structural integrity of the building... ask Mr. Incredible about that).  Events in the mission might even affect the events outside, and vice versa.

I'm not sure how it would be done, exactly, but I'd love to see it.

More, I'd love to see it in other zones.  Indeed, random events like this are something I'd REALLY like to see in any zone... not always burning buildings, but perhaps a random Super Villain goes on a rampage, or the Rikti actually BEAM DOWN during their "invasions," or what have you.  It would just add some life to the world.

Support the idea but I am a bit confused by the last bit about Rikti actually beaming down during their invasions.  My computer, and therefore access to playing died a month or so back, ... but last time I was in a zone when an invasion occurred on homecoming Rikti did spawn in if you were messing with their bombs?  I presume if I had stood around outdoors (I was in Founders') they would have showed up as they do on the hill in Talos?  Or are you meaning something else?

Edited by Doomguide2005

The Rikti thing... I've been back a couple of months now, and every time there's a Rikti or zombie raid, the sky changes colour (and Rikti ships appear), but there's no ground forces.  No Rikti, no zombies.  Nothing happens.  SOMETIMES there's Rikti bombs, but they can't be damaged, they regenerate faster than they can be damaged.... so there's not really anything to DO.  I expect it's a bug of some sort.

1 hour ago, Ultimo said:

The Rikti thing... I've been back a couple of months now, and every time there's a Rikti or zombie raid, the sky changes colour (and Rikti ships appear), but there's no ground forces.  No Rikti, no zombies.  Nothing happens.  SOMETIMES there's Rikti bombs, but they can't be damaged, they regenerate faster than they can be damaged.... so there's not really anything to DO.  I expect it's a bug of some sort.

Do you play a lot of flying characters?  The invasion mobs will only spawn if you are on/near the ground.

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

2 hours ago, Ultimo said:

SOMETIMES there's Rikti bombs, but they can't be damaged, they regenerate faster than they can be damaged.... so there's not really anything to DO.  I expect it's a bug of some sort.

No offense, but I've soloed Rikti bombs...  T'ain't easy, but it doable if your DPS is high enough.

I don't know that there's a bug here.

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

2 hours ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

No offense, but I've soloed Rikti bombs...  T'ain't easy, but it doable if your DPS is high enough.

I can't say for certain, but I seem to remember that if your character is low-level enough, they won't get Rikti spawns in an invasion unless they're near or teamed with higher-level characters. And when you're down around level 6 or 7, it generally takes a brute, scrapper, or blaster to have a chance of taking down a bomb solo, and even then you're going to be grinding on it for a while.

It could be a level thing.  My highest character is now 21, and only recently so...

As for having dps high enough... there are whole classes who can NEVER get dps high enough... my Tanker, for example, will likely never be able to damage a bomb.  Controller damage is similarly very low.

My preference would be to make ALL aspects of the invasions "soloable."  That is, they should be difficult, but REASONABLY POSSIBLE.  I mean, the bombs.  I mean the SHIPS!  I know, there were times the ships did get brought down, but it took the entire population of a server to do it, and that's not any fun.  Reduce their speed.  Reduce their damage.  Make them less durable, and easier to HIT.  There's enough bombs, let them be soloed.  Let us have fun with it.

Edited by Ultimo

I like the original Idea, also for the side discussion, the Rikti ground invasion happens AFTER the ships and bomb phase, and if you are moving your basically wont get spawned on. you have to stand still or be in a large team. Next time you are in a zone that is having an invasion just broadcast to join the league that inevitably forms. You'll find your spawns (and badges) that way for sure.

I have a Darkness Manipulation Proposal: Let me know what you think!