Request, Ranged Beam Blasting powerset.

Joshex

10 hours ago, Joshex said:

also @Leogunner, I'm not ignoring your post, you gave a lot to think about.

I suppose my initial comment would be with a beam blasting powerset, you could just have an arm cannon costume part to make it more in line with what you're looking for (as I said previously we really need a selection of these!!!). rather than building another closed powserset like beamrifle for someone (like me) to complain or suggest that we should have a "from hand" beam Powerset, without the cannon.

as for the power ideas, that's something to think about for a future post. and I may take them into account while regrafting my own beam blasting powerset idea. I'll be working on the 1st draft later today if I get time.

No problem, not expecting a critique or anything but more demonstrating my perspective on some new set direction.

As for the arm cannon costume, again, my suggestion isn't so much about "beams" or "arm cannons" but rather the breadth of variation I'd like to see.  You can take my idea and reform it into any sort of concept other than an arm cannon, I don't really care.  I'm more aiming at something more substantial than a set with t1, t2, t3 blast, TAoE, Sniper, Aim+nuke as the power line-up with maybe some "build tidal forces" or "spread disintegrate" like mechanics on top.

I feel a lot of contention to a truly unique set is that people want to build their characters to a concept and extra mechanics get in the way for them.  I personally don't care about that.  If you truly like concept so much that mechanics hinder it, there are recolors of old sets (maybe add that costume piece to top it off).  I'd rather not draw out more power variation that mechanically mirrors other sets...unless, I dunno, the animations of these power variations are backwards compatible with the old sets to flesh them out more.

On 6/13/2020 at 9:51 PM, Joshex said:

Lv1 Beam Strike, Ranged (150ft), High Damage Energy, Moderate Fire DoT ( 5 ticks over 10 seconds), activation time: instant, animation duration: 1 second,  recharge: 2 seconds. enemy -damage - attack speed, self +overheat( adds 10% damage to all powers,  all your powers end cost is increased for the next 60 seconds, this buff and debuff stacks), a thin but highly packed swift beam sears into your target at lightspeed, the wound sears with the heat of the bolt slightly lowering their ability to move which effects their damage and attack speed. 

That um. That might be overpowered for a T1.

Rinse/repeat for the rest of the powers listed.

I wonder how difficult it would be to offer alternate beam animations for fire blast.  Fire breath could use a sweeping beam animation.  Fireball and rain of fire might be a little awkward with this setup, but I think you could make them work...

19 hours ago, Joshex said:

launching a gas/radioactive dust cloud at an enemy doesn't count as a beam.

Part of it is clouds.  Part is beams. 

Add the ability to customize the cloud stuff to beams perhaps ..  might make the set more popular.  

9 hours ago, summers said:

That um. That might be overpowered for a T1.

Rinse/repeat for the rest of the powers listed.

thanks for the feedback. Yes the initial power may need to be toned down on some or at least less DoT on most.

2 hours ago, Haijinx said:

Part of it is clouds.  Part is beams. 

Add the ability to customize the cloud stuff to beams perhaps ..  might make the set more popular.  

Well, that is true, radiation is radiation though. So the cloud/dust is appropriate. then again there are 2 types of radiation in real life, Ionizing radiation and non-ionizing radiation, it has to do with the structure of the atom and how it's been used or not.

The core difference is one has a surplus of electrons, while others don't have enough electrons to fill the rings of the neutrons. both decay in different ways and present different effects on materials that come in contact with them. too many electrons causes heat and spreading radiation to other atoms it contacts, too few causes it to pull electrons from other materials thus destabilizing those atoms and in some cases disintegrating them or changing them into other atomic materials. Then again CoH isn't attempting to be real-world accurate so.

10 hours ago, biostem said:

I wonder how difficult it would be to offer alternate beam animations for fire blast.  Fire breath could use a sweeping beam animation.  Fireball and rain of fire might be a little awkward with this setup, but I think you could make them work...

I thought of that when I heard people suggesting alternate animations.  Not sure about Fireball, but for Rain of Fire, you just need a zone of intense light.  I won't say a column of light as that's just cliche, but just an area of intense brightness that bathes the area in the color of your powers would work good.

Fire Breath seems the easiest since the animation is so long.  The vfx would just need to be a persisting beam either from the mouth, hand or chest.  Anything that creates a moving projectile is a bit tougher, particularly Fireball.

They should have a Dual Pistol Beam version..

I like the arm cannon post..  

Would be nice to have powers like Dual Pistols but just originating from other points on the body..

Eg HOB from the chest maybe using that CJ alt emote.. The one where the toon throws his hands out from the chest..  

Honestly It would have been nice if the game went in the direction of  Energy Blast is the power. But here are your animation options of where Energy Blast comes from..