Returning Player: Kind of Lost and Overwhelmed

Satanicus

I played CoH A LOT up until about Chapter 10 or so, and then only here and there until about Chapter 15 or so. Needless to say I missed out on a lot, and my memory sucks in general so there's a lot I've forgotten. Is the Wiki a good place to start on catching myself up on terms, lore, etc or is there another site? I saw somewhere mention you can set how much XP you get on Homecoming so you don't feel the need to farm, where does one set that? My previous level 50 characters were a Dark/Dark Defender, and a Thugs/Dark MasterMind, along with a handful of other toons at various levels. Is there any where to view what power sets were introduced when so I can see what's "new" (to me) and maybe play around with them?

As a side note, getting it running on MacOS was a bit of a chore, and ended up not having many of the graphics options available... thankfully it runs on my PC laptop well enough. The cel shading is really neat and makes the game look more "modern" in a way.

Thanks all!

And the Guides section has a pinned thread by Trickshooter listing each Issue (Chapter) starting from the very beginning called The Guide to Issues aka "When did they change/add that?"

And the forums as well as the in game chat are full of returning folks who like you had a 7 or more year hiatus and needed a reminder themselves after first arriving.  There's also two Wikis now, the original which was frozen at the state of the game at Sunset (but still quite good for many many things) and a new HC Wiki for things "now" on HC

Welcome back!

Edited by Doomguide2005
More info added
  • Like 1

To answer your question, you can set your experience at the P2W vendor. They have a section for experience that allows you to "purchase" time on experience boosts. All options are free to buy, but they cut how much influence you earn. You can get to level 50 fairly fast.

12 minutes ago, Bonkleberry said:

To answer your question, you can set your experience at the P2W vendor. They have a section for experience that allows you to "purchase" time on experience boosts. All options are free to buy, but they cut how much influence you earn. You can get to level 50 fairly fast.

Compared to early issues more like extremely fast.  There's also selections in your Options window for things like turning off xp gain.

5 hours ago, Satanicus said:

Thanks all!

Working with a Demon/Dark MM, and checking out Going Rogue 🙂

Now to get familiar with macros hah

welllllll..... I probably wouldnt' recommend Praetoria for your first character. 

It's doable of course, and if you're dead set on it, a Demon/Dark is a DARN good choice to do it with. 

But Nova Praetoria/Imperial City/Neutropolis are..... not heavily populated most nights, let's just say. Praetorian teams can happen, but they're the exception more than the rule. 

Still, if you enjoy it, go for it.  

And don't be shy about inviting others you see goldside.  Teams form far faster if you invite vs wait to be invited.

5 hours ago, MTeague said:

welllllll..... I probably wouldnt' recommend Praetoria for your first character. 

It's doable of course, and if you're dead set on it, a Demon/Dark is a DARN good choice to do it with. 

But Nova Praetoria/Imperial City/Neutropolis are..... not heavily populated most nights, let's just say. Praetorian teams can happen, but they're the exception more than the rule. 

And don't be shy about inviting others you see goldside.  Teams form far faster if you invite vs wait to be invited.

@MTeagueis right that Praetoria is more of a solo 1-20 experience. It tends to be slower but that’s not always a bad thing when relearning the game.

There are a handful of missions with difficult ambushes, so don’t be too disheartened if you struggle against those, they don’t happen that often outside of Praetoria.

Biggest advice I can give you is get familiar with bodyguard mode for your MM (activated by setting pets to defensive+follow) as ambushes will tend to aim for you directly and ignore your pets; bodyguard mode will split the damage between you and your henchman. 

Edited by Peacemoon
  • Like 1

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

14 hours ago, MTeague said:

I've largely been a solo player in MMOs, ironically enough... I used to team a lot with my old Defender though