Warning box when bidding very much higher than recent bids

AxerJ

Hey,

So today I accidentally bid 50,000,001 instead of 5,000,001 for a Luck of the Gambler. It would be really nice if a warning box could pop up if our bids are much higher than the recent bids - I know many others lose inf this way. I lost almost all my influence.

Thank you!

Check out the market forums. Sometimes people will offer refunds when people over pay. 

additionally, I think that trying to tie it to recent bids would be difficult to code. Personally, I think a flat number for salvage, a different flat number for recipes and a different number for enhancements would be easier to implement.  

• Like 1

I can see them adding a bidding warning like there is for your first sale over a certain amount, but people would disable it after the first time it popped up.  I cannot support them putting any time into adding a warning label to save yourself from your own human error.

Who run Bartertown?

Slow down and count the zeros 

Stop bidding +1 influence, add random like 123.....10,123.  Human mind can read and count 123,456,789 faster than 000,000,000,000,000 (15 zeroes) to be more accurate.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

5 hours ago, Zeraphia said:

No, I have enough idiot labels/alerts to deal with already in life. I don't need another one.

So disable it if it were implemented. It'd be a whole half second out of your life.

I'd probably disable it too, but it's not a good reason to disagree with having it. It's brought up often enough that there are obviously people beyond just the OP who would like to have it.

That said, there's enough market fluctuation that it'd probably flag at odd times or just be problematic. If someone picked up a run of (say) common IOs that someone listed at 100 inf because they were going for a crafting badge, say, and you bid 50,000, it would be reasonable but "well over" the last few bids. (Not to mention the price display bugs going on atm.)

• Like 3

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

3 minutes ago, Greycat said:

So disable it if it were implemented. It'd be a whole half second out of your life.

I'd probably disable it too, but it's not a good reason to disagree with having it.

1. There was no mention of this being "optional," the OP said a popup box, nothing about this being optional. He did not say you could switch this on or off. 

2. Who are you to tell people what is or isn't a "good enough" reason to disagree with something? I have an opinion, you have yours.

17 minutes ago, Zeraphia said:

1. There was no mention of this being "optional," the OP said a popup box, nothing about this being optional. He did not say you could switch this on or off. 

2. Who are you to tell people what is or isn't a "good enough" reason to disagree with something? I have an opinion, you have yours.

How are other warning boxes implemented? Do you think there would be a special "no, you must LOOK AT MEEEE" box set up just for this? It is *reasonable* that the OP is referring to a warning box similar to the others that come up in game.

As for the second? I'm me. And I did not say "good enough." I said good. Which, by the way, is also an opinion.

• Like 4

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Yikes, how nice of you, Zeraphia, to imply I'm an idiot.

Perhaps an (obviously optional) warning could issue for all bids above 40 million or something around there? I don't know of any enhancements that sell for that much except perhaps very rarely.

Adding the 1 too quickly at the end messed me up - an annoying practice, admittedly, but thinking someone might list at 5,000,001, for example, to capture bids which are higher than 5 mil while still ensuring a sale. In any case, I've learned to be more careful with that - but, for many reasons, people will rush a little bit while playing a fun computer game, especially if they're doing something they've done hundreds of times. Such a simple addition would be a basic quality-of-life thing. Unless we decide we LIKE accidentally spending an extra factor of 10 or receiving it from some sad player? Of course, no big deal if not, the game will continue as it always has, which is good.

Doesn't seem like there's much to be threatened by? Though, these days, people seem to be threatened by almost anything.

Edited by AxerJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AxerJ said:

Yikes, how nice of you, Zeraphia, to imply I'm an idiot.

I did not imply that you are an idiot, I called the idea an "idiot label" because that's the generic term used for labels directed to people who do some foolish things that with common sense would be avoided. I find these labels and "warnings" to be annoying. I don't want to have a popup menu that I would have to click through every single time that my bids were higher than average (for example, buying a "cheap" Adjusted Targeting then buying a movement/end Hami-O will be quite a gap and thus prompt this popup menu from your suggestion). Perhaps, you meant that it was optional, and there were far more significant details to include in this suggestion that were left out, which I would be more "supportive" and less critical of the idea. 

While yes, I get the arguments for it, you have to realize that at the end of the day this idea is permeated in carelessness in most cases. Now I understand, occasionally the cat walks across the keyboard, a little one plays with the keyboard (and there are resources to get your influence back when these events do happen by request), but it's still asking the devs to take time away from potentially new content/fixing bugs to create a solution for your carelessness/ignorance of overbiding on the AH when in most cases (carelessly overbidding) if you just paid enough attention (making sure you're typing in the right amount before purchasing/selling an item) that wouldn't have been needed in the first place. 

I never once said "Axer, you are an idiot" I called your idea an "idiot label." 

Edited by Zeraphia

13 hours ago, AxerJ said:

Hey,

So today I accidentally bid 50,000,001 instead of 5,000,001 for a Luck of the Gambler. It would be really nice if a warning box could pop up if our bids are much higher than the recent bids - I know many others lose inf this way. I lost almost all my influence.

Thank you!

I'm all for this idea. However, I think fixing the last 5 display bug is at least as much a priority since that is just flat out giving people bad information and causing billions in overbids.

But again, yes I'm all for this. Ignore the people being negative, mistakes happen.

47 minutes ago, Zeraphia said:

I did not imply that you are an idiot, I called the idea an "idiot label" because that's the generic term used for labels directed to people who do some foolish things that with common sense would be avoided. I find these labels and "warnings" to be annoying. I don't want to have a popup menu that I would have to click through every single time that my bids were higher than average (for example, buying a "cheap" Adjusted Targeting then buying a movement/end Hami-O will be quite a gap and thus prompt this popup menu from your suggestion). Perhaps, you meant that it was optional, and there were far more significant details to include in this suggestion that were left out, which I would be more "supportive" and less critical of the idea. 

While yes, I get the arguments for it, you have to realize that at the end of the day this idea is permeated in carelessness in most cases. Now I understand, occasionally the cat walks across the keyboard, a little one plays with the keyboard (and there are resources to get your influence back when these events do happen by request), but it's still asking the devs to take time away from potentially new content/fixing bugs to create a solution for your carelessness/ignorance of overbiding on the AH when in most cases (carelessly overbidding) if you just paid enough attention (making sure you're typing in the right amount before purchasing/selling an item) that wouldn't have been needed in the first place. 

I never once said "Axer, you are an idiot" I called your idea an "idiot label." 

Ok Boomer

• Haha 1

If any changes are to be made, best if it were player-configurable warning  

• default = no message
  • warn me if I bid more than X for salvage
  • warn me if I bid more than Y for a recipe
  • warn me if I bid more than Z for an enhancement

Where YOU type in X, Y, and Z. and warnings ONLY happen if you fill them in.

I personally would leave them blank.  But that should be less invasive than warnings vs "recent prices".

Edited by MTeague
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, MunkiLord said:

Ok Boomer

HAHAHA You know, I really wasn't intending to go that far! This made my day. I probably was a bit too harsh, but a boomer?! That's a first for me ever!

I've rethought my responses on this thread, my apologies to the OP if it came across as an attack or calling you an "idiot" it wasn't my intention, also, I misinterpreted what @Greycatsaid earlier. I suppose that despite how I may have objected to this originally, there are convincing reasons for why the idea should exist. I really wasn't intending to come across the way that I did and I do apologize. 

Edited by Zeraphia
  • Like 2