Can't decide on Water/Storm or Ice/Cold.

Vinven

I started playing a Water/Storm Corrupter and was enjoying the tidal mechanism within the power set. It had a good variety of attacks, and the ability to self heal. However I noticed that Storm didn't seem the best, the only thing I ever used it for was Snow Storm and Freezing Rain, and their slows weren't all that effective when the rest of the team typically had mobs rooted. It has a bunch of knock back effects as well that tend to be more of a hindrance than help the team, and their powers just overall kind of seemed on the weak/unpredictable side.

So I decided to try an Ice/Cold Corrupter. They get Snow Storm and Sleet, which replaces the main parts I cared about in Storm. Ice also gets Ice Storm and Blizzard, which both look and feel much better for aoe spells. The only problem is that they can't heal themselves, and they get no interesting mechanic like Tidal Power. Their heals and shields can't be used on themselves, and infrigidate and benumb seem useless. I do like the visuals/audio of ice/cold better, it seems to have a more cohesive aesthetic and whatnot. Also while it is nice that it gets some hard control, not sure why they get two single target holds instead of an aoe root at least.

So how do they stack up game wise? Is one a lot better than the other, statistically? Will I need to get into First Aid if I want to be able to heal myself? Would appreciate any help in deciding.

They’re Both good. Cold is very good at what it does. 

that being said, I think your impression of storm is a bit off- as with IOs the other powers (TStorm, Tornado even gale) all become significantly more powerful— enough so that defender is a better fit because so much damage comes from those which don’t benefit from scourge 

8 hours ago, kiramon said:

They’re Both good. Cold is very good at what it does. 

that being said, I think your impression of storm is a bit off- as with IOs the other powers (TStorm, Tornado even gale) all become significantly more powerful— enough so that defender is a better fit because so much damage comes from those which don’t benefit from scourge 

The damage boost for storm from being a defender is often overstated, and really only applicable when solo. 

@Vinven, Water/storm has some great synergy, and scourge does some serious work on steam spray and whirlpool. The storms help compensate for water blast's ST deficiencies a lot, and grabbing a procced out dominate would make it even better there.

• 2 weeks later
  • 4 weeks later

If you want to solo +4x8 content then you really need a way to heal yourself even with softcapped defenses and maxes resistances. As such, I suggest water/storm or water/cold, dehydrate allows you to live in situations that Ice's control does not. If you aren't going to be pushing the limits of the character or will be playing on a team all the time, I personally would choose ice/cold of those options as not needing to worry about endurance is much more fun in my opinion. I absolutely love my water/cold though. That character can solo +4x8 cimorean missions without much trouble.

8 minutes ago, Darkir said:

If you want to solo +4x8 content then you really need a way to heal yourself even with softcapped defenses and maxes resistances. As such, I suggest water/storm or water/cold, dehydrate allows you to live in situations that Ice's control does not. If you aren't going to be pushing the limits of the character or will be playing on a team all the time, I personally would choose ice/cold of those options as not needing to worry about endurance is much more fun in my opinion. I absolutely love my water/cold though. That character can solo +4x8 cimorean missions without much trouble.

With Water/Dark you get Twilight Grasp which is a nice team heal/foe -regen, -dmg, -to hit in addition to dehydrate which is a nice power which heals you and damages your enemy.  

3 minutes ago, laudwic said:

With Water/Dark you get Twilight Grasp which is a nice team heal/foe -regen, -dmg, -to hit in addition to dehydrate which is a nice power which heals you and damages your enemy.  

Oh, is /dark on the menu? I thought the OP was specifically asking about water/ice and cold/storm. Specifically the water/cold, ice/storm pairings.

1 hour ago, Darkir said:

Oh, is /dark on the menu? I thought the OP was specifically asking about water/ice and cold/storm. Specifically the water/cold, ice/storm pairings.

I like to offer an expanded menu, not only for OP, but for the adventurous alt maker that my later stumble on this thread.

Plus, Water/Dark is really fun.

Cold for debuffs, Sleet, Benumb in particular.  Heat Loss for complete endurance happiness (and further debuff)

Storm has Freezing Rain (debuff) and offense in Lightning Storm and Tornado

Both are very potent sets with Cold offering a bit more in a team setting.  But both can be very solid in either setting.