Dark/Storm vs Dark/Dark

Flurry

Just a couple of other threads on it I found from a quick search.  I also get the flickering despite lowering my shadow settings.

And the thread that shows there are definitely those out there that don't like their characters made translucent against their will (of which fade is the most extreme):

Edited by Riverdusk

The first two are over a year ago and the last one is about Shadow Fall/Arctic Fog.

But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. All the sets I mentioned bother me but not those that play them. Fade doesn’t bother me but it bothers you.

We play what we like 🙂

A bunch of toons. Global DocRanger

All on Excelsior. 

Not sure what age has to do with it, the power hasn't changed.

The last one is about any powers that turn people's characters transparent or otherwise hide people's characters/costumes.  Other posters in the thread state exactly that.

I'd have no problem having min fx options for the powers that bother you as well and you are free to post suggestions stating just that or other alternatives.  But you seem to have an issue with a min fx option for the ones that bother me (and others)?  Guess that is the difference.  Unless I'm making an unfair assumption from your posts, if so then we don't disagree after all.

Edited by Riverdusk

I don’t care one way or the other honestly. I don’t play certain sets because they annoy me and you don’t play sets because they annoy you.

Play what you want. Don’t play the rest. Seems simple.

• Like 2

A bunch of toons. Global DocRanger

All on Excelsior. 

If on the fence I would roll Storm. It's my belief every City of Heroes player owes themselves to play Storm at least once, because it's an iconic set. Dark is a good set, but for whatever reason I just don'tfeel about it that way.

If you don't roll Dark/Storm it should be because you plan to roll Storm with something else.

Note if you want to avoid Fade entirely, you can roll Dark Miasma on a Defender, Corruptor or Mastermind. They don't get that power. 

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 1

Just as an FYI, if you decide to team, it's considered polite to avoid creating havoc with your knockback powers. Solo, it's do whatever you want. The power Gale in particular is tempting to click a lot because of its fast recharge, but most teams will get frustrated with you Galing stuff around. Supposedly, there are people good enough to use this power strategically. I have played Storm to 50 4 times and have never been able to use it; it literally gets removed from my hotbar.

I highly recommend purchasing Knockback to Knockdown IOs as soon as possible for Lighting Storm and Tornado. They usually run about 2.5 million influence each.

The first 40 levels are very different from the final 10 with this set. It's worth it to continue, the final 2 powers are brutal.

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 2

My problem with Hurricane was always that the main times you might want to use it, running in with Hurricane gets you mezzed and it detoggles.

It would be a quasi-useful power on an archetype like Sentinels or in a Storm Armor set. 

I do build late game /Storm to have mezz protection but by that point I find the usefulness of the power has past.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2020 at 5:48 PM, 5099y_74c05 said:

Great advice as always.

I never found a great use for Gale, less so with Hurricane in the toolbox. PrePPM changes it was a decent PROC candidate, but nothing amazing. IMO its just not worth the combat action/cast time in 99% of situations, especially with so many other great powers available.

Without the KB:KD, Gale is nearly useless.  Two-slotted with an Acc/KB and KB:KD, Gale is a decent soft control; if you have at least two other powers with an FF+Rech slotted, it's well worth putting a third slot in Gale for an FF+Rech of its own.  Gale procs just often enough to keep you at +100 throughout combat, provided you've got a couple other sources to keep the stack refreshed.

As for Dark/Storm, it plays a little funky but I dig it; your AoE Immob and Gale (if you incorporate it) want you to be at range, but nearly everything else wants you in melee.  I find it to be great either solo or on teams, and for what it's worth, Dark/Storm is a top earner in MSRs and other events that reward you for how many things you hit.

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

Discussing Gale in the thread brings back memories of an all Earth/-- SG on Justice.  There were a lot of Earth/Storm in the SG and early on we were street sweeping in Perez Park.  We all had the then quite new Explosive Strike proc.  So many skulls and hellions making like tumbleweeds that evening and getting obliterated by the proc at random.

• Like 1

• 8 months later
  • 4 months later

Not sure About A/V? Stacked Freezing Rains helps everything, and multiple Tornados and Lightning storms puts out a ton of damage. No substantial -Regen outside of Incarnate though. Carry venomed daggers from the P2W vendor.

I feel a bit like Dark/Dark didn't really get a fair shake above.

Dark/Dark starts well, and grows nicely in capability throughout the game. There are so many great powers in both sets, and the synergy is amazing. And the breath of the tools available lets you try out different play styles. It's just plain FUN.

Dark/Dark is a fantastic teaming set as well as a soloer that gets to the x8 size spawns sooner than many control sets.

Shadowfallen (my Dark/Dark) has so much -tohit that that IS my staple control. My AOE control powers are just a contingency set of abilities. 

Umbral Beast + Fluffy (Dark Servant) + Haunts is a great combo.

Cones aren't a problem really if you just stay at range and tends to work well with the odd shapes of some spawns. 

That said,

Lavan (Fire/Storm, and my most recent benchmark for /Storm, my Plant/Storm is still in the 20's) is a LOT faster. More risky, but faster. Total chainsaw of elemental destruction.

As many have said, /Storm is a late blooming set, and leveraging Snow Storm for corner pulls pairs very well with KD pseudo pets (Bonfire with KB->KD IO, Freezing Rain, Tornado with KB -> KD IO), which isn't really quite the same for Dark/Storm. 

Either will probably be a blast, I might do Mind/Storm at some point to fill in the AOE damage gap. 🙂