My First Dominator

Matigah2

Hello Everyone,

So I've been running through the dominator forums a lot because I've been wanting to make one, but IDK where to start honestly. I usually play melee toons, every now and then ill pop in a range toon (not against them at all, just noticed ive been running melee a lot). The main problem is that I just cant figure out what power set combos are good and bad. I noticed if i go into a new AT with random powersets and i end up making something that doesnt work, i tend to avoid the AT after that and i dont want to do that. I just need some help picking out some powerset combos that really work and will get me to like the AT. Any recommendations you have will be helpful.

Hey, welcome to the world of domination.

I just got into doms myself, but I play a lot of range vs melee. A nice way to start is to pick similar primaries and secondaries until you get the feel of the play style. This would be some thing like Fire Control/Fiery Assault (I've played this and it looks very cool), Earth Control/Earth Assault (this I haven't but have heard good things about it), and so on. Or something thematically related, like Dark/Martial or Mind/Savage (both of which can be switched around, both I have now and are very fun to play... may not be the strongest, but very fun).

I don't think there is such thing as a power set or combo that is "bad". Some may not synergise well, but ultimately people still find a way to make them work for their own play style. Enjoy your spanking new dominator (no pun intended... well, maybe a little)

Whatever Dominator you make my advice would be not to take too many of your primaries and secondaries, 5-6 powers from each should suffice .  Build yourself up with the essentials and then build yourself with lots of pool powers.  My doms I play like my tanks, be aggressive with your controls, your controls are your best defenses.  Then while you have them locked down go to town with all you have.   

Edited by Mezmera
  • Like 1

Anything/Savage works fine, and that means Plant/Savage is good.

Energy Assault is also pretty good, and works with multiple options, especially ones that do well in melee range: Dark, Fire, Ice. The same is true for Earth, with a bit more focus on melee and AoE, and less on ranged and single-target.

Dark is a good primary and works well with most secondaries... I like it most with Savage, but also with Energy and Earth.

assault sets usually have both ranged and melee attacks and for a reasonable build you'll take both. Some lean more towards melee (like earth assault) some more towards ranged (like fire assault)

Same thing with the control powersets. Some are well suited to a ranged style, others want you to be in the middle of fighting.

Pick one of the popular combinations for your first try. That'll usually work. earth/earth, fire/fire, etc.

Actually made 3 doms just because i wasn't able to decide on one that i liked more. Thanks for all the advice, I went with Earth/Earth just because its a lot of melee and im used to it. Then i went Dark/Martial because i thought it was an interesting combo, and its 2 powersets i actually havent tried on any AT yet. Last combo was Plant/Savage since i have been seeing a lot of it on the forums and its gotta be good if thats the case. 

On 7/14/2020 at 2:41 AM, Matigah2 said:

Hello Everyone,

So I've been running through the dominator forums a lot because I've been wanting to make one, but IDK where to start honestly. I usually play melee toons, every now and then ill pop in a range toon (not against them at all, just noticed ive been running melee a lot). The main problem is that I just cant figure out what power set combos are good and bad. I noticed if i go into a new AT with random powersets and i end up making something that doesnt work, i tend to avoid the AT after that and i dont want to do that. I just need some help picking out some powerset combos that really work and will get me to like the AT. Any recommendations you have will be helpful.

Where to start?

Elec.  Elec.  Elec Patron.  Great control.  Powerful sleeps and confuse keep the aggro' off. 

Stone.  Stone.  Sound control and brute melee.

Fire.  Stone.  Melt control them.  Bash their face in with teh hammer.

So you have emphasis on Control, brutal melee or fire melting damage.

Try them all up to Frost Fire in the Hollows.  By then you should have been slapped around...enough to see one mitigates aggro' the best.

You can make 'any' power sets 'work.'  But I found the 1st two above safer.

If you've come from melee alts?  You're going to have to learn you can't just run into a mob and get hit whilst you hit them.  Do that and you'll be dead in 2-3 punches. 

It goes like this.  Control.  Close the gap to melee.  More control.  Then Blast, bang, wallop!

You can play dominator's at range or melee or a combination of both.

I like the control blapper approach.  The dance of death: Control.  Control.  Blap.  1, 2, 3...1,2, 3...etc.  Like a Waltz...of doom.

Oh yes.  Then you press the Dominator button.  God head.

Dominator.  The art form of ATs. 

You'll be very pleased once you've mastered them.  Then you'll be a super-man, my san.  And much enlightened from your melee roots.

Azrael.

I think the easiest time you will have as a first time Dominator is Plant/Fire. It's a very straightforward combo that won't require you to understand the combat mechanics in detail. Just Seeds > Blast > replace Carrion Creepers when you need to. It's also probably one of the highest damage Dominators you can build. 

• Like 1

Well, yes.  Plants and Fire.  That's the most damaging root (heh, heh...) to go...  As will be substantially held, slept or confused (a pretty powerful confuse there...)

If damage throughput is your thing...

I do have a plant/plant domi parked at L37 or 38.  It's very interesting.  Seeds and Carrion Creepers et al.  Not as 'damaging' as the Plant Fire.  But it can mix it with the mobs just fine.  No body likes being spiked and tentacled...more than the Council...

Fire anything is easy.  Especially on melee alts.  If you want things to just die fast.

Azrael.

Edited by Golden Azrael