Rad or Invuln

Xavier51

3 hours ago, callador0630 said:

I powerlift and can't think of any feds that don't allow wrist wraps in the raw division. You also get a hand-off. You do have to pause on the bottom to get the press command. 

So that would be the "gold standard" for a raw bench press, since it follows the rules set in competition by most if not all feds. Any additional handicaps (5 second pause, etc) would be self inflicted. And it's ok to do that, but you won't win yourself any points competing that way. 

I'm new to this game, but I see the builds going on the same way. There should be a standard (pretty much any power you can get, even if they are not up 100% of the time), but outside buffs shouldn't be allowed. But I'm new and really don't know much about it. But I can tell you everything about powerlifting having completed, coached and judged since 2011. 

As I'm conversant with these rules, much as you are, I'm glad we agree. However, a free bench of 405 without any handicaps is a very different thing than with, regardless of competitive regulations, physically speaking. Much respect to both paths.

15 minutes ago, SwitchFade said:

As I'm conversant with these rules, much as you are, I'm glad we agree. However, a free bench of 405 without any handicaps is a very different thing than with, regardless of competitive regulations, physically speaking. Much respect to both paths.

I can bench 405 with no hand off, etc. But the type of equipment you use factors in as well. For instance, out of an er combo rack, which has 1" hole spacing, i can take any weight i can bench raw out by myself.  The height is fully adjustable, so I can be in a good position. But at the local YMCA on their hammer strength rack, I would be hard pressed to do that. The j hooks are super deep, abd it's 3" spacing between each hook, and they are non-adjustable. So with my ape like long arms, the bar is still really low, like I'm starting at 1/2 a rep. My strength is still a constant, but it's the equipment that makes one successful versus not being successful. And someone with short arms might be ok on the hammer strength bench. 

This is why doing in under competition rules with max time limits and strict form (no touch and go, butt lifting, etc) matters. The competition also spells out what equipment you can use, like the adjustable  combo rack. 

3 hours ago, Sovera said:

Self-inflicted handicaps are common in games. Basically Switchfade is/was pretty respectful in his reply but it does not mean anyone else but him need to follow his self-applied handicap. The only thing that matters is when 'competing' such as in pylons or time-it-took-to-solo-a-TF to be upfront about what was used so the metric is not skewed. That is why in pylon times a person will say if they used Incarnate clickies and lore pets and the same for TF soloing.

I agree, full disclosure is important for sure. Especially since there are no official contest rules. When clearing hard content in other games, i always used group buffs, food/potion buffs, etc. Any little edge might be the make or break for beating new bosses and gearing everyone up. 

On 9/10/2020 at 3:21 PM, Warboss said:

Rad/Fire/Mu gives 6 to 8 AoEs depending on the build, sets, and what you count as an AoEs.

I just rolled up a Rad/Fire melee tank because I decided I don't like how slow Rad Melee feels. I know some sets have same animation times for different attacks but I like it better if my character is doing something, instead of just crouching  in his radioactive farts where I can't see him.

I really like that radioactive disk that explodes from that one punch but everything else is annoying. 

At least with /Fire Melee I'm jump-spinning or swinging swords or something. And Rad Armor should be tough enough to do fine without any mitigation from the secondary.

On 8/3/2020 at 9:06 AM, DrBasics said:

Don't forget that on some sets, there is a cool ass animation. My favorite is Dual Blades or Katana.

Dark Melee's Taunt animation looks like a Gloom blast.

Came back to the thread looking for some Rad armor builds (Thanks Infinitum, skoryy, Hyperstrike and marcussmythe!)

Thinking about the rankings, I'd put Bio lower in the scale. It's like Invulnerability with the rubber-band of squishiness turned way up. Big on S/L resist and spare hit points, but then relies on Defense with no debuff resistance for everything else. Takes a lot of IOs to patch up the weaknesses. My Bio/Dark Melee was blasting through everything last night until I got Mu Vorkan's arc, went to free the Malta guy, and ran into all the stupid glowing PPD.  My +3 level shift vs them at +2x8 was no match. They blast defense deep into negatives, rip off the absorb, and stomp HP into the ground.

I love the +Dam and the two auras for Taunt and Damage but when things go bad, they go really bad. Way worse than for a SR or Shield.

4 hours ago, ninja surprise said:

Dark Melee's Taunt animation looks like a Gloom blast.

Came back to the thread looking for some Rad armor builds (Thanks Infinitum, skoryy, Hyperstrike and marcussmythe!)

Thinking about the rankings, I'd put Bio lower in the scale. It's like Invulnerability with the rubber-band of squishiness turned way up. Big on S/L resist and spare hit points, but then relies on Defense with no debuff resistance for everything else. Takes a lot of IOs to patch up the weaknesses. My Bio/Dark Melee was blasting through everything last night until I got Mu Vorkan's arc, went to free the Malta guy, and ran into all the stupid glowing PPD.  My +3 level shift vs them at +2x8 was no match. They blast defense deep into negatives, rip off the absorb, and stomp HP into the ground.

I love the +Dam and the two auras for Taunt and Damage but when things go bad, they go really bad. Way worse than for a SR or Shield.

My Bio SS tanker can solo in ITF +4 with enemy buffed, no inspi and no tempo pv.

It's just a very very busy build, sort of shark syndrom : if you stop fighting, you die 🙂 For things going bad, barrier Core T4 is kinda mandatory on Bio tanker

Just another French Player

So Excuse my old, bad and too french English !

Join THE COSMIC COUNCIL !!!

https://discord.gg/DVksJ4N

• 7 months later
On 9/10/2020 at 3:11 AM, Pizzamurai said:

So, I read through all 14 pages of this thread. My brain hurts, and I'm still no closer to figuring out which is actually better because of so many opinions... and I already have a rad/rad tanker... so!

I think after over a decade it's time to finally play an invuln/SS tanker. The Myth, the classic, the legend. 

Being that my brain has been completely melted by literally every post Habibi (or whatever his name was) made took away exactly 42 brain cells, can someone post me their -best- invuln/SS tanker build? I'm looking for something that will survive literally almost anything and still be able to do decent damage when I'm not yanking mobs off my poor squishies. Money is not an issue, I have billions in my scrooge mcduck gold tower just waiting for this moment. I'm putting this up against my super decked out SR/claws tanker (thanks again Bill) so gimme your best shot!

Super late to the party, but did you ever get your build?  If not Infinitum's is posted in this thread:

inv/ss; how to get more aoe dmg, and maybe some debuffs - Tanker - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

• Like 1

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

• 2 weeks later
On 4/29/2021 at 4:01 PM, Pizzamurai said:

Yeah, I made an SS/invuln. 

I ended up hating SS so badly that I deleted the character. 

You should have kept it but maybe moved it to a different server.

Otherwise, 3 - 10 months from now, you'll start thinking "Hmm maybe I need an invuln/SS toon" and start fresh before remembering you hate it.

4 hours ago, ninja surprise said:

You should have kept it but maybe moved it to a different server.

Otherwise, 3 - 10 months from now, you'll start thinking "Hmm maybe I need an invuln/SS toon" and start fresh before remembering you hate it.

Probably not. That's how much I hated it. Lol. But I get what you're saying. 

• Haha 1

• 2 months later
On 7/31/2020 at 3:13 PM, Hyperstrike said:

Teleport.

back in my day invulnerability had to teleport just like granite and we LIKED tolerated being weaker than stone as a tradeoff so we could see our costumes! I mean at least granite could MOVE! Invulnerability tanks couldn't move AND tank!

• Like 1