Slotting Irradiated Ground...

For those of you that have Rad Melee characters, what'd the best way to slot up Irradiated Ground? I hear it is great for Procs, but then you give up the possibility of a set bonus.

Also. does it need to be slotted for Accuracy, and how damaging is the aura? How does it compare to Fire's Blazing Aura?

Thanks in advance.

Four damage procs and two -res, it has no need for accuracy, the damage is better than what Fiery Aura achieves because it ticks twice every ten seconds where FA ticks once.

@JulioThom33_2 Yep you nailed it. Procs OR Bonuses.

It can be some bonuses and 1 proc. This tends to be the way it works out until a build gets super dialed in.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

On 7/22/2020 at 10:18 AM, Sovera said:

it has no need for accuracy

I don't believe this is correct. In game it shows standard 1.00x accuracy. End reduction doesn't hurt either. I have it slotted with 1 dmg proc, 1 -res proc, 3x Sirocco (acc/dmg, acc/dmg/end, dmg/end). 

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

5 minutes ago, Uun said:

I don't believe this is correct. In game it shows standard 1.00x accuracy. End reduction doesn't hurt either. I have it slotted with 1 dmg proc, 1 -res proc, 3x Sirocco (acc/dmg, acc/dmg/end, dmg/end). 

In-game testing has begged to disagree. But maybe things have changed. If you could test and let us know?

On 7/22/2020 at 10:11 AM, JulioThom33_2 said:
For those of you that have Rad Melee characters, what'd the best way to slot up Irradiated Ground? I hear it is great for Procs, but then you give up the possibility of a set bonus.

I see this comment, or variations on it, quite often.  Not every power needs all six pieces from a set.  Many sets don't have six good pieces.  Also, depending on your goal for your slotting, frankenslotting can be a much superior tactic.  I have an invuln tank with +360% regen from slotting just two pieces from many different sets.

As for the original question, my rad/rad tank isn't high enough to have this power, so I'm reading the thread with interest.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

3 hours ago, Sovera said:

In-game testing has begged to disagree. But maybe things have changed. If you could test and let us know?

I tested against 3 level 50 mobs in PI (2 Nemesis Colonels and 1 Rikti Chief Mentalist) by standing next to them with Irradiated Ground running and waiting for them to die. I didn't time the runs, but each took about 30 seconds. I'm lvl 50+ and have 48% acc and 117% dmg (incl Musculature) slotted in Irradiated Ground, plus 66% of set bonus acc and 23.5% of set bonus dmg. I also have the Scirocco's Dervish dmg proc and Achilles's Heel -res proc slotted in IG. I disabled Beta Decay for all runs and Reactive Interface for the 3rd run. Irradiated Ground pseudo-pet and doesn't show up in the normal combat log - you need to add Pet Combat, Hit Rolls, etc. to the chat window.

• All to-hit rolls showed a 95% chance to hit. The 1st run showed 8 hits and 1 miss, the 2nd showed 8 hits and 2 misses and the 3rd showed 10 hits and 2 misses. Clearly the power is not auto-hit.
  • Scirocco's Dervish procced 3 times in run 1, 2 times in run 2 and none in run 3. Each proc is about 80 points before factoring in -res.
  • Achilles's Heel procced 5 times in run 2 and 3 times in run 3 (didn't have log set up properly for it in run 1). Each proc appeared to affect about 4 ticks. 
  • Irradiated Ground criticaled 2 times in run 1, 6 times in run 2 and 4 times in run 3 (description says 10% chance).
  • Excluding procs and criticals, Irradiated Ground did 38 ticks of damage in run 1, 32 ticks in run 2 and 46 ticks in run 3. Base damage for the power is 7.57 per tick. As slotted, I was doing 18.34 points of damage per tick before factoring in -res.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

1 hour ago, Uun said:

I tested against 3 level 50 mobs in PI (2 Nemesis Colonels and 1 Rikti Chief Mentalist) by standing next to them with Irradiated Ground running and waiting for them to die. I didn't time the runs, but each took about 30 seconds. I'm lvl 50+ and have 48% acc and 117% dmg (incl Musculature) slotted in Irradiated Ground, plus 66% of set bonus acc and 23.5% of set bonus dmg. I also have the Scirocco's Dervish dmg proc and Achilles's Heel -res proc slotted in IG. I disabled Beta Decay for all runs and Reactive Interface for the 3rd run. Irradiated Ground pseudo-pet and doesn't show up in the normal combat log - you need to add Pet Combat, Hit Rolls, etc. to the chat window.

• All to-hit rolls showed a 95% chance to hit. The 1st run showed 8 hits and 1 miss, the 2nd showed 8 hits and 2 misses and the 3rd showed 10 hits and 2 misses. Clearly the power is not auto-hit.
  • Scirocco's Dervish procced 3 times in run 1, 2 times in run 2 and none in run 3. Each proc is about 80 points before factoring in -res.
  • Achilles's Heel procced 5 times in run 2 and 3 times in run 3 (didn't have log set up properly for it in run 1). Each proc appeared to affect about 4 ticks. 
  • Irradiated Ground criticaled 2 times in run 1, 6 times in run 2 and 4 times in run 3 (description says 10% chance).
  • Excluding procs and criticals, Irradiated Ground did 38 ticks of damage in run 1, 32 ticks in run 2 and 46 ticks in run 3. Base damage for the power is 7.57 per tick. As slotted, I was doing 18.34 points of damage per tick before factoring in -res.

The testing seems sound but against +0 it is skewed. You ought to try one run with what you currently and another run with the slotting I mentioned, and then compare the damage of both runs. Perhaps against +4 so the lack of acc becomes more important.

The usual slotting is both -res procs, then the damage procs of Obliteration, Eradication, Armaggedon, and Touch of Lady Grey.

23 minutes ago, Sovera said:

Perhaps against +4 so the lack of acc becomes more important.

Alternatively, he could switch to a second build with NOTHING slotted and see how that does.

I do that a lot for testing powers so there's nothing to obscure the power effects.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

2 minutes ago, Ironblade said:

Alternatively, he could switch to a second build with NOTHING slotted and see how that does.

I do that a lot for testing powers so there's nothing to obscure the power effects.

Truth, but we were talking of the benefits of each slotting approach. Six procs or as he has it slotted.

12 hours ago, Sovera said:

Truth, but we were talking of the benefits of each slotting approach. Six procs or as he has it slotted.

It looked like the main point of contention was whether or not it needed accuracy.

A build with zero global accuracy or to hit would be the way to test that.

15 hours ago, Ironblade said:

Probably still need +resist and +regen slotted so I can stand next to the mobs without getting killed. Also, a lot more work than just swapping out a few enhancements. Not sure when I'll have time to do that.

2 hours ago, Ironblade said:

It looked like the main point of contention was whether or not it needed accuracy.

A build with zero global accuracy or to hit would be the way to test that.

True, but wouldn't you also want to test whether global accuracy was sufficient for the procs to hit without slotting accuracy in IG?

I'm happy to swap out the 3 accuracy and damage enhancements for procs and jump in a mission with lvl 54s. It will be just 5 procs, as I only have the power 5-slotted and don't want to bother with a respec just to test this.

This probably could have been more scientific, but here's what I did:

Both Runs: lvl 50 vs. lvl 54 CoT - 2 Guides + 1 Behemoth / All incarnate powers disabled / Beta Decay disabled. Keep in mind there's roughly 5 dmg ticks per hit.

Run 1: Scirocco's Dervish acc/dmg, acc/dmg/end, dmg/end (48% acc), lethal proc and Achille's Heel -res proc / 66% global accuracy

Run 2: Scirocco's Dervish lethal proc, Obliteration smashing proc, Eradication energy proc, Lady Grey neg proc and Achille's Heel -res proc / 57% global accuracy

Regardless of how you feel about slotting dmg vs. slotting procs, I think it's clear that slotting accuracy has a big impact. The hit rate was 60.5% in Run 1 (with accuracy slotted) vs. 24.0% in Run 2 (with only global accuracy).

Run 1 Run 2
Hit 26 23
Miss 17 73

Dmg Ticks 107 115
Damage          786.15          447.36
Dmg/Tick               7.35               3.89

Critical Hits 10 8
Critical Dmg            65.40            34.85
Dmg/Crit               6.54               4.36

Scirocco proc hits 15 8
Scirocco proc dmg          542.93          285.37
Dmg/Proc            36.20            35.67

Eradication proc hits   8
Eradication proc dmg            282.06
Dmg/Proc              35.26

Obliteration proc hits   5
Obliteration proc dmg            182.08
Dmg/Proc              36.42

Lady Grey proc hits   9
Lady Grey proc dmg            313.18
Dmg/Proc              34.80

Achille's proc hits 14 8

Edited by Uun