Island Rum 8282020 issue

Techulon

Mac user here who just lost access as well.  Been playing smoothly on Catalina since install months ago, played earlier today but just now Island Rum says 'Client not found'.

Edited by TJBC

I'm back on.

Deleted contents of CoH folder, opened Island Rum, reinstalled, got blue "Play" arrow, clicked it . . . nothing.

Updated Catalina to 10.15, restarted, deleted contents of CoH folder, opened Island Rum, reinstalled, got blue "Play" arrow, clicked it . . . got this error message:

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 7.14.08 PM.png

Clicked 'Install', got another error message about something else it couldn't find, clicked Install, and Homecoming launched.

Edited by TJBC

MacOS Catalina: Island Rum updated, now it doesn't see the current game files unless I tell it to rescan, and then it wants to re-download everything. When it tries to download, it gets stuck downloading bin.pigg (the very first file) over and over, never moving on to the next file on the list.

Takehai

Global Handle @Night.Fyre

Confirmed Alt-oholic....

Same issue here on 2 separate Macs. Was working fine on Rum 2020.06.28 earlier today,  but when logging back in an hour ago, Rum updated itself to 2020.08.28 and I’m now getting the same error as the others mention in this thread. 

When you fire up Island rum, you'll get an error message with a button to install. Just click install and it will do almost everything for you. It will launch a terminal or two to start downloading Wine and whatever it needs by itself. The most you have to do is enter your mac's admin password in one of the terminal windows. This takes a while depending on your internet speed, but a lot faster than before. Once it has done it's thing, the Script Icon will bounce on your dock. Click that and the Install Done Pop up will appear. Just click exit. On Island Rum, you may get the Wine Mono Installer error window. It's just another component that will auto install. Same drill. Once that's done, the client shouldn't need to download everything, unless it's a fresh install of Island Rum. Most of the game assets are already on your computer, so it's basically a rescan to associate the correct paths to the right files.

If you do end up downloading assets, and it stops, it's either a connection "hiccup" from your end or the mirror end. You can either quit Island Rum and start over, or if Rescan is available, do a rescan. It will count the files it already successfully downloaded and pick up where it was interrupted.

My advice, which is based solely on my

own experience and absolutely no knowledge of why it worked:

1) Upgrade to the newest version of OS

2) Delete contents of CoH folder (not the folder itself, just everything in it. I know it’s created automatically on install but I remember someone somewhere saying it’s better to have it already there before install begins). Other option is delete folder along with its contents and then recreate folder before install: This is all very possibly irrelevant.

3) Open Island Rum . . . click ‘Install’.

4) You may be asked to enter your admin password.

5) You may be given error messages, follow them as best you can.

6) Cross fingers and pray!

Interesting side note: Upon successfully reloading Homecoming all my character slots were re-arranged in the order i created them instead of the order I had moved them to (favorites up top!)

Edited by TJBC

10 minutes ago, TJBC said:

Interesting side note: Upon successfully reloading Homecoming all my character slots were re-arranged in the order i created them instead of the order I had moved them to (favorites up top!)

That's because those are saved in a plain text file on your computer that the game reads when it launches to determine what order to display them in. If you delete your entire CoH folder, you got rid of that file as well.

Takehai

Confirmed Alt-oholic....

31 minutes ago, TJBC said:

My advice, which is based solely on my

own experience and absolutely no knowledge of why it worked:

1) Upgrade to the newest version of OS

2) Delete contents of CoH folder (not the folder itself, just everything in it. I know it’s created automatically on install but I remember someone somewhere saying it’s better to have it already there before install begins). Other option is delete folder along with its contents and then recreate folder before install: This is all very possibly irrelevant.

3) Open Island Rum . . . click ‘Install’.

4) You may be asked to enter your admin password.

5) You may be given error messages, follow them as best you can.

6) Cross fingers and pray!

I don't even get an "Install" option.  It's just stuck at "Scanning":

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 9.21.28 PM.png

1 minute ago, Zhym said:

I don't even get an "Install" option.  It's just stuck at "Scanning":

Manga pushed out another update, and I think it broke it more. He's been replying on Discord. Crossing fingers he puts out a 3rd update.

Takehai

Confirmed Alt-oholic....

Thanks.  I can revert to the previous version (hooray, Time Machine), but is there any way to prevent Island Rum from automatically updating itself?  Or should I just chill for a day or so and hope for a new update soon?

12 minutes ago, Zhym said:

Thanks.  I can revert to the previous version (hooray, Time Machine), but is there any way to prevent Island Rum from automatically updating itself?  Or should I just chill for a day or so and hope for a new update soon?

How do you do that?

Revert to the old version?  If you've been using Time Machine, you can open Time Machine, scroll back to a time before the update installed, and restore the old version of the launcher. 

If you haven't been using Time Machine, you'd have to install an old version of the launcher manually, I assume.

BTW, you can bypass the launcher entirely by executing "islandrum.sh" from the command line.  Of course, that only works while the CoH client version hasn't been updated.  But at least it lets me feed my addiction tonight while Manga works furiously on patching the launcher.

42 minutes ago, Robertium77 said:

So....are they going to fix this?

Manga is working on it. We are up to a third patch tonight. (If your installer doesn't automatically update, you may need to manually download from islandrum.eekstudio.com ). He was saying he might be having to release several patches tonight. Latest update included a script to install the newest wine (5.0) and updated home-brew, due to upcoming patches in Homecoming needing the updated versions. Manga was just trying to get ahead of the curve on updating Island Rum to support. He is on Discord talking with some of us at in the #setup-install-help thread.

Edited by Takehai

Takehai

Confirmed Alt-oholic....

There were some issues deploying this version of Island Rum unfortunately, and I was too busy working on that to reply to anything here.  From what I saw on the HC Discord, though it appears to be stabilizing now.

In Case You Came In Late, the message about needing to install the Game Client again is because the new Island Rum installs Wine 5.0 through Homebrew.  This is needed to support new patching support coming Soon™ to Homecoming and Closed Beta.  I wanted to get this deployed way, way ahead of that to work out the majority of Wine migration issues long before then, so when that stuff goes live, the transition should be seamless.

So basically a little pain now will save us all a lot more later!

• Thanks 2