Primary power dilemma

TheOtherTed

I'm running a /Dark Armor stalker, but I'm having a tough time picking a primary. The character is running blueside, and the concept is an ancient temple guardian from somewhere in the Himalayan foothills. The first attempt used Staff Fighting, and the current attempt uses Dual Blades. Staff seems more appropriate for a "hero," even if it feels a bit lackluster, and fits my internal "lore" for the character (one of the many, many children of the Monkey King). With Dual Blades, I find the Redcap daggers visually fit the character really well - but seem a little too lethal for blueside.

So - which would you pick? I'm not looking for builds as such, but I would like some input on the general pros and cons of the two sets. If there are other sets that may also fit the theme, I'd like to hear about them as well.

Staff looks good on paper and I wanted to like it.  It just doesn't feel right when playing it.  I shelved my Staff Stalker.  Not sure if it's the sounds or the animations.  Probably both.  Just doesn't feel like you're doing much.

Dual Blades I haven't tried since retail.  From what I recall I didn't like the way the combos were done for Stalkers.  I guess you could just ignore them, but then you're giving up one of the things that makes the set unique.

4 hours ago, carroto said:

Staff looks good on paper and I wanted to like it.  It just doesn't feel right when playing it.  I shelved my Staff Stalker.  Not sure if it's the sounds or the animations.  Probably both.  Just doesn't feel like you're doing much.

Dual Blades I haven't tried since retail.  From what I recall I didn't like the way the combos were done for Stalkers.  I guess you could just ignore them, but then you're giving up one of the things that makes the set unique.

It’s that plop sound of staff for sure lol

23 hours ago, carroto said:

Part of the problem with the combos is that Placate is part of the Empower combo, and generally, Placate is no longer a good power after the Stalker revamps.  Now that you can land crit AS outside of Hide and the ATO lets you rehide off of the proc, Placate is a dud.  

• Like 1

Have you tried Kinetic Melee?

It works well on a Stalker. The lackluster ‘Power Siphon’ that other ATs get (and was supposed to be a feature of the set but ended up being kinda weak) is replaced by Build Up, and the forgettable ‘Repulsing Torrent’ cone is replaced by Assassins Strike, and from what I've heard (but not tested) is that 'Burst' always deals a Critical Hit when Hidden, unlike most Stalker AoEs.

But most importantly it really fits your theme of a less lethal feeling power set. It’s animations are reported to be inspired by Tai-Chi.

https://www.pcgamer.com/dev-diary-city-of-heroes-kinetic-melee/

Edited by TJBC

I haven't tried Kinetic Melee, but from what I've seen in the character creator, the "build up" animations for the attacks don't seem like they'd fit.  I see my charater as being quick and reflexive, and KM looks a little too deliberate (granted, pretty much all powersets feel that way, but the whole "gather your Chi" thing brings it home).  Maybe I'll give it a shot on an experimental character, see how it feels.

That said, other hand-to-hand combat styles could fit, but I've already got more Martial Artists, Street fighters, and Blappers than I can count.  A Judo style powerset, though, chock-full of throws and KDs, would be amazing.

@carroto, yep, the Staff animations are bit "eh..."  But, then, I got seriously spoiled with the Staff animations in one of those other superhero games, so I'm trying not to judge too harshly.  Looks like higher level powers get a bit more snazzy, so maybe there's hope.

Also, I suddenly understand why Dual Blades felt relatively weak - I'd completely forgotten about the combo system!

Anyway, thanks for the input, all.  Sticking with Staff for the time being, and letting the boys in the basement of my brain play with ideas for the Redcap Daggers.  Maybe there's a less than wholesome version redside, or maybe I can trick myself into thinking they're mystical "spirit daggers" or some silly thing.  Too bad we don't have a "translucent" texture for ancient weapons...

If anyone has other ideas, though, I'd still like to read 'em.

I really enjoy my Staff/Bio stalker; he's my AV killer.  I've thought about pairing staff with dark armor, but haven't gotten around to it yet.  I don't think I would go with a stalker though, since the only staff form you get is Body.  Don't get me wrong, Body is great, but with Dark Armor I'd like to use Soul in order to help out with endurance early on.

If you don't like the animations, well, that's something we can't do much of anything about.  Fortunately for me I like them! My only complaint with Staff Fighting is that I am not fond of Sky Splitter.  

Who run Bartertown?

Since only some Primaries are actually competitive with Scrappers due to the AOE shenanigans I'd suggest one of those

So Staff, Electric, Street Justice, Kinetic Melee, Savage Melee 

The Two Swords are okay since they get the big Cone too if you want to go with them.  

I'd avoid any of the ST only sets.  

If feeling fast is a requirement, Both Street Justice and Savage Melee feel fast generally.   (Well Street Justice does have Crushing Uppercut which is Slow AF, but it hits like a 10 ton Hammer.  So its more fast fast fast SLOW BAM.. repeat) 

19 hours ago, TheOtherTed said:

@carroto, yep, the Staff animations are bit "eh..."  But, then, I got seriously spoiled with the Staff animations in one of those other superhero games, so I'm trying not to judge too harshly.  Looks like higher level powers get a bit more snazzy, so maybe there's hope.

Everquest 2 also had some awesome Staff fighting animations. 

• Like 1