Survey for School Project

TygerDarkstorm

Howdy fellow CoX gamers! You may have seen me dipping around these forums lately, or even in game, and now, I need your help with something more related to real life! 😛 If you have daughters, especially young ones, please help me out with a school project I'm doing by filling out my survey! It's only a whopping 3 questions, so shouldn't take too much time away from your gaming! 😄 

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe2UmTfIMbaHmQ50Ec_FNFeSPwNilos4GiI9T5BqPp0McK-zg/viewform

• Like 1

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

On 9/16/2020 at 5:37 PM, Nyghtmaire said:

What’s the school project?

Sorry, I'm dumb and didn't see this get a response. 

I'm a fashion merchandising major, and the class that this survey is for is about designing a line of clothing and how to market it to retailers and such to try and sell them. So this survey is to try and feel out how our potential target market might react to our ideas to help us make an informed decision about which pieces to design. 🙂

I need 6 more responses on it if anyone is able and willing to help me out by taking the survey.

• Thanks 1

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

• 2 weeks later

Sorry, I've only nieces, likely around your age, but I peeked at the questions to see if any fit them.  Question #2 left me curious:  besides a wedding dress, what clothing would be considered heirloom-worthy? I'm only wondering because styles change so much.  I'd never, for example, put a son in my tuxedo from my youth. (Ruffled tux shirts and coarse-polyester, wide bowties. :classic_wacko: Ewww.)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Techwright said:

Sorry, I've only nieces, likely around your age, but I peeked at the questions to see if any fit them.  Question #2 left me curious:  besides a wedding dress, what clothing would be considered heirloom-worthy? I'm only wondering because styles change so much.  I'd never, for example, put a son in my tuxedo from my youth. (Ruffled tux shirts and coarse-polyester, wide bowties. :classic_wacko: Ewww.)

Um, that's kind of a good question, really, haha. 😅 I honestly think that whatever you would want to think of as an heirloom could be one. Not the right age group, but sometimes baptism dresses for infants are considered heirloom-like items. My thought behind this is that most of the products offered would not be fashion-forward (i.e. following current trends, etc.). Because these theoretical garments will be sustainably and ethically made, they're intended to be more like timeless classics--pieces intended to be hung on to, repaired, repurposed, passed down, etc.

And with your wedding gown example, even those go in and out of season! 😛 There are many wedding gowns from like, the 1980's that most women probably wouldn't want to wear now without heavily altering them, haha.

I know that's not a great way to answer your question (and it's a great question!), but I hope that it helps.

• Like 1

Survey done. hope it helps your cause.

On the point above, I have a slightly different take on it. While my wife has her wedding dress waiting to become an heirloom (a day that hopefully takes longer than I anticipate), I have some quasi-heirlooms that I have "bestowed" upon my daughters. While others may simply view them as hand-me-downs, these are pieces of clothing that have special meaning to me and have luckily withstood the ravages of time (i.e. rock shirts, shirts with cool print/messages, my high school sweatshirt, etc.). They're not worth much in monetary value, but do carry a lot of memories and I'm proud to see my daughters wear them.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Six Six said:

Survey done. hope it helps your cause.

On the point above, I have a slightly different take on it. While my wife has her wedding dress waiting to become an heirloom (a day that hopefully takes longer than I anticipate), I have some quasi-heirlooms that I have "bestowed" upon my daughters. While others may simply view them as hand-me-downs, these are pieces of clothing that have special meaning to me and have luckily withstood the ravages of time (i.e. rock shirts, shirts with cool print/messages, my high school sweatshirt, etc.). They're not worth much in monetary value, but do carry a lot of memories and I'm proud to see my daughters wear them.

Thank you for doing the survey!

And that's a great example! I, personally, feel like many types of "hand-me-downs" can be considered heirlooms if they hold some special value to the person holding on to them. 🙂 Many things that have been handed down for multiple generations are often considered heirlooms as well.

happy to help. 😃

additionally, my hand-me-downs from my father were his button up shirts (which he used for work) that either he no longer liked, were no longer presentable, or no longer fit him. I had little use for them, yet I got them whether I liked it or not. In contrast, I had to wait for the proper time to "pass on" my beloved Zildjian (drum set brand) shirt to my son, my Beatles, AC DC, Hendrix shirts to my daughters. I had to see if the recipients were ready or worthy of my trophies. As for my high school sweat shirt, my daughter who shares my fondness for jackets and thicker wear just "found it" (after rummaging through my closet) and decided to keep it. I think it called to her. It looks better on her anyway. 😃

• Like 1

1) A great Idea as long as the product is of good quality and the responsibly sustainable " materials " are able to handle actual use.

2&3) Heirloom quality to me could be Denim Jackets, Defunct/Fake Sports Jerseys/ Shirts, or even course woven products ( Hoodies, Panchos ).

• Like 1

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

2 hours ago, Marine X said:

1) A great Idea as long as the product is of good quality and the responsibly sustainable " materials " are able to handle actual use.

2&3) Heirloom quality to me could be Denim Jackets, Defunct/Fake Sports Jerseys/ Shirts, or even course woven products ( Hoodies, Panchos ).

Most hoodies and ponchos are actually knit, not woven, otherwise you'd have an awful hard time getting them on. 🙂 Clothing that's woven would be more like anything made of actual denim (as denim fabric is a woven fabric), button up dress shirts. Easy way to tell is if the material can stretch in any direction (a woven fabric can only stretch on the bias). And on most woven fabrics, if you look closely, you can actually see the the threads criss-crossing to make the weave.

And yes, sustainably sourced and created clothing is just as durable, if not moreso, than the current, cheaply made, mass produced clothing. It's one of the reasons this type of clothing costs more. 🙂 

Thank you for your response! I love seeing people's thoughts and questions regarding this. 🙂 

I ran a repair cafe a few years ago, and clothes came through our doors like nobody's business. Reparable goods that can stay in circulation have got to be the future.

Just from the perspective of academic rigour, it might be worth collecting some data on the sorts of people responding to your questionnaire. It's one thing to know what people generally think, but you really want some data that tells you why they might think that way and what sort of backgrounds you're looking at. It will also help you to tighten up your prospective market or reveal unexpected opportunities.

Keep up the good work!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lines said:

I ran a repair cafe a few years ago, and clothes came through our doors like nobody's business. Reparable goods that can stay in circulation have got to be the future.

Just from the perspective of academic rigour, it might be worth collecting some data on the sorts of people responding to your questionnaire. It's one thing to know what people generally think, but you really want some data that tells you why they might think that way and what sort of backgrounds you're looking at. It will also help you to tighten up your prospective market or reveal unexpected opportunities.

Keep up the good work!

Oh yes, if I were actually going into production, I would actually be doing that level of detail! For the moment, the idea was just to see if there was interest in the clothing design companies that we want to create, so just a simple, 3 question survey was asked for us to create to help confirm the ideas for the "garments" we're going to create. I say "garments" because this isn't a sewing class; this is all theoretical and just intended to expand upon skills. There's a good chance that many of the people who have participated in my survey are not my actual target market from the research I've done so far, but the answers have helped with the concept nonetheless. 🙂

Thank you for your input! I truly do appreciate anyone who takes the time to look at this and leave a comment. All of this discussion has been insightful. 🙂 

Just out of curiosity, what are the project outputs? Do you need to design the garments themselves, or is it focused on the branding and marketing?

I've been commandeered into teaching on fashion courses a couple of times, despite my decrepit wardrobe. Fashion courses are crazy fun.

The overarching sort of goal of the class is to ultimately design a 6 piece line of garments via Adobe Illustrator. Things like this survey are the first step into getting there. So for this first part, the output is gathering initial market data--determining your target market, your target selling area (so to speak), determining a retailer who you would want to purchase your line to sell in their store, seeing if there's interest in what you want to create, etc. Just sort of hitting the basics to build from.

This is my first time doing a manufacturing company, as the previous project I have been working on throughout my years in college has been building up a children's wear retailer since this is more my area of interest--I am a merchandising major, not design major, lol, but we have to learn both sides to be well-rounded. I'm in California Polytechnic University - Pomona's Apparel Merchandising and Management Major. And yes, the fashion courses are a lot of fun! There's so much more depth in them than most people realize.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lines said:

I ran a repair cafe a few years ago...

Is this exactly like it sounds?  Coffee/sandwich shop combined with mending?   I'm intrigued, if so, for I've never heard of one.  It sounds like my parents got together to create a business.  Dad managed a 1950's style soda fountain for years, and Mom was a seamstress and laundress.

Edited by Techwright

11 hours ago, Techwright said:

Is this exactly like it sounds?  Coffee/sandwich shop combined with mending?   I'm intrigued, if so, for I've never heard of one.  It sounds like my parents got together to create a business.  Dad managed a 1950's style soda fountain for years, and Mom was a seamstress and laundress.

Pretty much that! The repair cafe movement was something that started in the Netherlands and took off across the world. Ours was a monthly volunteer operation which got remarkable traction, so much so that we managed to get some solid research out of it. An existing cafe hosted us.

Alas, for obvious reasons, it had to stop this year.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, TygerDarkstorm said:

And on most woven fabrics, if you look closely, you can actually see the the threads criss-crossing to make the weave.

I guess I didn't properly convey what the product was I was trying to describe,my wife has several of these she has had forever and loves them.

Pullover Jerga.JPG

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

5 hours ago, Marine X said:

I guess I didn't properly convey what the product was I was trying to describe,my wife has several of these she has had forever and loves them.

Pullover Jerga.JPG

Oh yes, I should have thought of those! Yes, those are typically woven, if I'm not mistaken. ^_^ Are they itchy? I love the look of them, and I have a Mexican blanket I adore, but my skin is so sensitive, I'm afraid to buy one of these hoodies and have it be too itchy.

• 9 months later

How did your presentation go? Did the teachers appreciate the effort of the gamer's team?
Hopefully, you got a strong A for this project))
I plan to invest in the child care business right now, so I need some opinions regarding the school system from a student. Will appreciate it if you'll share.
To understand more what I am planning on doing, check https://kidcityusa.com/franchise-opportunities/an-investors-guide-to-daycare-franchising/, maybe it will help you to choose a profession in the future!

Edited by AlexandraAbraham

On 10/9/2020 at 5:57 AM, Marine X said:

Pullover Jerga.JPG

I have one of those. Love it.

• 1 year later

I'm just studying business management right now and I can tell you that these kinds of surveys are better placed on social media or even on your YT channel if you're running one. We do all kinds of surveys at our asa college miami florida too, so I understand how important it can be in identifying the needs of the target audience. We had done projects that we thought met consumer needs, but when we did the statistics we saw that the results were very different from what we were expecting. Besides, if you`re in the children's clothing business, it`s not unreasonable to look at the competitors' segment, this also sometimes comes in handy.

Edited by kalonmarko

You necroed a one year old thread for that? I've long since gone and done this project, and of course I put these on social media, lol

• Like 1