Make up sets for the other seasons!

Greycat

We have Winter IOs - available only through the winter packs or AH. They do... winter-appropriate things (cold resists, slow resists, adding slows and -rech, even freezing someone in a block of ice.)

Why not develop some for the rest of the year, having them cycling through seasonal events as drops? (Including the winters, yes, so there's another avenue to get them. Put the drops on a timer if needed.) Now, yeah, it could be argued the SBB is a "summer event," but at this point, we might as well just call it the "movie event," since it's available year round.

Now, no, I don't have specific sets in mind - or events to tie them to - but as rough themes?

Spring - Time of rebirth and renewal. +regen and healing options, procs to introduce a little peace (chance to placate or lose aggro,) etc.

Summer - It's summer! Time in the sun, time for the hotter blooded. Sunburn (fire damage proc.) Beach-themed (chance for a watery AOE, chance for quicksand... since, well, beach,) that sort of thing. Perhaps even something that does extra damage against ghosts, vampires, etc. as a tack-on (IE, not necessarily a "set bonus" on its own, but an addition with.. four, say, pieces.) and other creatures of the night. I'd suggest recharge, but... let's be honest, there's plenty of recharge going on.

Fall - Traditionally harvest and hunting time. +Absorb instead of healing. Snares, accuracy/tohit bonuses, if it's possible even add something for having summer sets and making them more effective during the halloween event. More resists against the dark (both negative energy and -tohit resistance, though you could say the bonuses do that second part already.)

Winter - Leave as is, but IOs drop during winter events.

• Like 3

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I like this idea.  Mainly because I want a pumpkin-headed toon with a lot of Fall IOs.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I like this idea but I think it would introduce some issues to match the power of Winter IO's (for what they are). I think a good idea would be to have a "Seasonal" set limitation. So you can use one set of the 4 Seasonal Sets at a time, but you would be able to fill that space with different configurations to give variety. I won't go as far as to propose exact numbers and such, but it could be very interesting to be able to allow different defense buffs (my primary usage of the set) to be available without flooding the AT balance with mass defense IO's that would unbalance available IO's or make it easier to homogenize the game with added defense.

A step further could be a limit of 6 Seasonal IO's (Base or Superior), mix and match. That could be very interesting if they are designed with that option. Though I don't know how hard that would be to implement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zenblack said:

I think a good idea would be to have a "Seasonal" set limitation. So you can use one set of the 4 Seasonal Sets at a time, but you would be able to fill that space with different configurations to give variety.

This is the only way I can see it working without mad screaming power creep.

You can already purple-ize almost everything.  Adding in Spring-O's, Summer-O's and Autumn-O's, would be way over the top UNLESS, some kind of limit like this.

I'd also be interested to see some of the Season's hit power types not previously purple-able. 

Like, @Greycat's idea for Spring being Rebirth and Renewal.  Maybe one of the set should be a HEALING set. 

Not just healing bonuses, but a set you can only slot into a power that takes Healing/Absorb sets.

Maybe we can work in a Resist set, and a Defense set too.... but, as @zenblack says, you can only slot one season... if you want your Spring-O's, you can't slot Winter-O's, etc.