Installing the new Homecoming Launcher on a Mac (LaunchCat)

GM Manga

On 12/30/2023 at 12:14 PM, doooood said:

For those wanting to install, here's a really easy method:

1. Download whisky: https://getwhisky.app
  2. Install whisky
  3. Download the windows Homecoming Launcher: https://manifest.cohhc.gg/launcher/hcinstall.exe
  4. Create a new bottle in whisky
    1. Name it COH
    2. Manually run (bottom right corner) and select the `hcinstall.exe` wherever you saved it.
    3. Run through the installation
    4. Click "pin program" go into the installation directory, go to bin, win64  directory and select `launcher.exe` - give it a name like "COH Launcher"
    5. After, click the refresh icon in top right corner (2 arrows) so the pinned program shows up.
  5. Double click on the pinned "COH Launcher" and the game should now load.

That's it!

Can confirm, I used Whisky as I didn't check to see if there was a Mac launcher and it works real smooth

I vanished for a while, because I couldn't get the HC launcher to install on my old Mac.  Once I updated my OS from 10.10 to 10.14, though, it installed fine, and now I'll probably be around again.  Somewhere.  😄

(I still miss the Transgaming client, though.  Wine is finicky)

Im using the new Sanoma OS. It's telling me it can't launch it because it thinks its a possible malware. currently trying to find the settings to allow it, but its not obvious to me at the moment. They buried it somewhere I guess. Anway if you know what to do, please  say whats up with it.

On 1/15/2024 at 4:27 PM, TxTure said:

Im using the new Sanoma OS. It's telling me it can't launch it because it thinks its a possible malware. currently trying to find the settings to allow it, but its not obvious to me at the moment. They buried it somewhere I guess. Anway if you know what to do, please  say whats up with it.

Control-click / right click / two-finger tap on it and hold control when you click "Open"; you'll have the option to run anyway on the next pop up. If not, you may still need to hold "control" to make "Open" visible, I think this depends on your SIP / previous setup if you didn't start with Sonoma.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/15/2024 at 4:27 PM, TxTure said:

Check out the Mac Guide below as it should be able to get you through it.

• Thumbs Up 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

So I have an issue where I installed CoH on Mac Sonoma , everything was working great, even played for a few hours , than when I went to restart , locked me out of my hard drive stating it was no longer mounted and needed password to verify it as a start up disk. Went through the steps , nothing. Mine that I have two partitions one for windows 10 bootcamp , the other is the main Mac partition. So now I have to reinstall Mac OS to fix the issue , hopefully. Maybe I did something wrong during installation of CoH or maybe my Mac decided to crap on me

Edited by Dragonsparda

On 1/25/2024 at 2:49 PM, Dragonsparda said:

So I have an issue where I installed CoH on Mac Sonoma , everything was working great, even played for a few hours , than when I went to restart , locked me out of my hard drive stating it was no longer mounted and needed password to verify it as a start up disk. Went through the steps , nothing. Mine that I have two partitions one for windows 10 bootcamp , the other is the main Mac partition. So now I have to reinstall Mac OS to fix the issue , hopefully. Maybe I did something wrong during installation of CoH or maybe my Mac decided to crap on me

That's a Mac issue, I'd check on the health of the drive itself (Disk Utility) and change your Apple ID password on the Off chance that someone is messing with you.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

• Game Master

I added a new Mac tool to the arsenal of Mac tools at the Homecoming for Mac site.

It's a new beta tool called LaunchCat (you can download it by clicking the name).  LaunchCat replaces the Applescript applet and the Homecoming for Mac installer by downloading all of the necessary pieces to launch the HC Launcher after it's installed.  Therefore it can be fully signed with Apple Developer ID, leading to less complaints and workarounds on modern MacOS systems.  It is also capable of keeping Wine, and itself, up to date.

There is also an unsigned version for older MacOS systems that don't support Developer ID, but that will be made available once the first stage of Beta completes.

Try it out and see if it works better for you!

Edited by GM Manga

Mac expert and designer of Homecoming for Mac.

12 hours ago, GM Manga said:

Try it out and see if it works better for you!

That sounds Suspiciously like homework...

• GM Manga changed the title to Installing the new Homecoming Launcher on a Mac (LaunchCat)
  • 4 weeks later

Hi. 

I've done two installs of CoH via the LaunchCat app in the last couple of weeks (both on Sonoma OS, an x86-64 MBP and an M2 mini).

In both installs onto a clean OS, I get the coh folder in the finder, but I don't get the Launch COH app.  It's also not in the launchpad.

When I run COH via the launch.sh script it works fine, but I'm not sure where the app has gone as it would be nicer to have the option to just run it from the dock.

Where have I gone wrong?

I've also removed and reinstalled on the MBP so far, but still don't get the launch coh application.

I'm admittedly a MacOS newbie, so any help or hints would be appreciated.

Edited by Destruktor
checked launchpad as well and didn't see the launch coh app

• Game Master
Posted (edited)

LaunchCat is a traditional MacOS app.  Drag it into Applications, then in Launchpad, run LaunchCat instead.  Or pin to the Dock and click that.

It should summon the HC Launcher after checking for updates on Mac-specific fixes.

Edited by GM Tock

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.

• 4 weeks later
17 hours ago, Ouroborean said:

image.thumb.png.7bda9fd56e15b8bf4b32024fd560c526.pngF-secure finds this. Is it false positive?

Considering who got this running (and signed), then I'd say yea, it's a false positive. What company runs that AV anyway?!?

• Banjo 1

Wbemprox.dll is a part of Wine, it is used for WMI calls in Windows apps. WBEM and WMI is the same thing: a hardware surveying feature used in corporate networks. I doubt it's going to stop the game from working if it is deleted.  Wbemprox regularly appears in Wine's patch notes, so updating Wine will likely replace it.

I can't rule out that the file is/isn't infected.  But if the file keeps coming up, you can send the file to https://www.virustotal.com/en/ to verify if it is the Windows or Wine version, or actually infected.

I am not a chat bot, I think.  I just drink a lot of caffeine and type too damn much.

Coming back to Homecoming?  Welcome home!  Here’s a Field Guide!

• Game Master

On 4/20/2024 at 9:03 AM, uninventive said:

Wbemprox.dll is a part of Wine, it is used for WMI calls in Windows apps. WBEM and WMI is the same thing: a hardware surveying feature used in corporate networks. I doubt it's going to stop the game from working if it is deleted.  Wbemprox regularly appears in Wine's patch notes, so updating Wine will likely replace it.

I can't rule out that the file is/isn't infected.  But if the file keeps coming up, you can send the file to https://www.virustotal.com/en/ to verify if it is the Windows or Wine version, or actually infected.

Wine is not infected, it was sourced directly from WineHQ.  It's a false positive.

• Game Master

I have started a beta cycle for the next generation of LaunchCat (click the underline to download it).  

This new version is lighter weight built in .NET Maui for MacOS only without any baggage from the Unity game engine.  It also fixes a couple of bugs in previous versions - but it may have new ones, which is why it's in beta!

It also requires at least MacOS 10.15 (Catalina) to run, but Wine 9.0 now requires that as well, so they're perfectly aligned.